Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RS50 2004 Oil in Coolant and White smoke

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sajidnazeem
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:50 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Aprilia RS50 2004 Oil in Coolant and White smoke Reply with quote

Hi,
I recently bought an Aprilia RS50 2004. It was working fine, I performed a coolant change as the engine was getting a little hot. There was oil in the coolant. I bought Evan's Waterless coolant and all of a sudden there was white smoke coming from the exhaust. I took the bike to a shop, one of the O ring's burst. I changed the all the gaskets and O rings on the top end. But still, white smoke was coming out. They said it was water/coolant in the exhaust, they said they would drain it or get rid of it somehow. I picked the bike up later that day and still white smoke was coming but now only under acceleration. After 2 minutes the bike just stopped dead. It did not want to crank then after a few tries it cranked but did not start. The bike got trailered to the shop.
Any Ideas of what it could be?
I am planning on changing the water pump seal. but as it why it stopped dead, I don't know.
Any Advice would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Feathers McGraw This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:15 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a two stroke the only oil that can get into the coolant is the gearbox oil, which means you probably need a new crank seal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:01 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

cylinder head gasket gasket I would suspect.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:00 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:

Ok... interesting answer considering what I wrote above.

How does oil get into the water when there is no engine oil in a two stroke? It's injected in with the fuel system.

So, perhaps read a bit first before hitting the post reply button.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:09 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two stroke oil from the cylinder is going though the head joint into the water jacket.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:13 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
The two stroke oil from the cylinder is going though the head joint into the water jacket.

There's fuck all 2 stroke oil in the cylinder even when running.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:09 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

White smoke will likely be a cracked head, assuming you've not torqued the new gaskets in properly.

The oil is likely to be crank seals as mentioned.

The cracked head would also explain why you found oil in the coolant.

I had a GFR with the same problem. The white smoke was particularly thick under hard acceleration.

sajidnazeem
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:52 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The smoke only started a few days ago, the oil was in the coolant for maybe a month or more I suspect but it didn't smoke at all.

sajidnazeem
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:56 - 13 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
On a two stroke the only oil that can get into the coolant is the gearbox oil, which means you probably need a new crank seal.

Could it have came through the waterpump seal?
I am not too sure if the RS50 and 125 have similar component but I found similar to mine.
https://www.125ccsportsbikes.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=102218

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:06 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's right, you keep doubling down on your nonsense. It's fake noos, right? No quid pro quo? Laughing
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

mattsprattuk
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Unless it's a 2 stroke Diesel...

https://apriliars50diesel.blogspot.com/
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:26 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
GSTEEL32 wrote:

The cracked head would also explain why you found oil in the coolant.

Another who doesn't understand 2 stroke engines...

Blah blah blah ...... if I know nothing, why didn't you quote my entire post?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:34 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSTEEL32 wrote:
Blah blah blah ...... if I know nothing, why didn't you quote my entire post?

I assume in case you delete it to avoid getting egg on your face?

The workshop group is quite special on this forum, and does have a positive effect on ones karma. However, it often goes through periods where only n00bs post who actually don't know that much about bikes and are either massive Dunning Krueger complex sufferers, or want to boost their karma score. So, it's well worth people pointing out when something is incorrect.

The forum being swamped with bad info means people with genuine info are less likely to post, which means the bad info is not diluted, which means lurkers, searchers and members act upon that bad info, and end up losing time, money and riding enjoyment.

So, I reiterate to anyone reading this. Please try to be sure of the information you're posting before you post it. And be prepared to be corrected, even if it's done in a flippant way.

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:56 - 14 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say my "entire" post, rather than that particlar bit.

I'm happy to get called out on anything I post, but I feel it's a bit strong if someone takes part of it, summarily dismisses the whole lot and leaves it at that.

If we're now picking and choosing parts of a post, then generalising on the basis of that, its not exactly helping anyone, is it?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:32 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... Italian bike, white smoke Thinking

Election of a new Pope?

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:46 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Tankie wrote:

Nonsense. It's a 2 stroke, the gearbox is sealed from the engine.

Coolant in the gearbox oil can be water pump drive seal if you're lucky or oil side crank seal if you're not.

It's two stroke oil +coolant , the only place these two fluids can crossover is the cyl head gasket or cylinder head ,read the OP's original thread ,over heated, white smoke, oil in coolant.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never known a 2T do the white smoke thing when a head gasket fails. They usually just start bubbling the contents of the expansion bottle when revved (and obviously start using water).

But what do i know, i've only had 2T bikes on and off for over 25 years and spannered race bikes for the last 3. Rolling Eyes

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:53 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
It's two stroke oil +coolant , the only place these two fluids can crossover is the cyl head gasket or cylinder head ,read the OP's original thread ,over heated, white smoke, oil in coolant.

Nope, it's going to be gearbox oil. It's either the water pump seal or a crank seal.

Tankie
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:01 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Tankie wrote:

Nope, it's going to be gearbox oil. It's either the water pump seal or a crank seal.

It's burning it, so i feel your not quite right ! A crank seal would not put oil into the coolant.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:36 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:
It's burning it, so i feel your not quite right ! A crank seal would not put oil into the coolant.

It could if it's the water pump side.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:50 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tankie wrote:

So, how much oil is being circulated round in the head of a 2 stroke?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2