BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Autumn/Winter rides

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main riding periods are September to November and February to May, don't do as much through height of summer as it's just too busy at a lot of the touristy places.
Also I find anything much above 20C not a lot of fun when you have to wear a certain amount of bike gear then carry it about at your destination cos it's too sweaty to wear it.

In depths of winter my little 250 trail bike is more realistic and it's adequate as I aren't going far as a rule on shitty winter roads with short days
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called my local MOT station for a saturday appointment, expecting them to say it was fully booked (which is usual for weekend MOT's).. But then I remembered that it has been raining a little bit lately and was informed that I could pick anywhere from 9-12 Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Also I find anything much above 20C not a lot of fun when you have to wear a certain amount of bike gear then carry it about at your destination cos it's too sweaty to wear it.

It's why I pretty much gave up on leathers. They're all very well and good when you're actually riding, but I usually have destinations in mind where I'll spend some time, and it's less of a pain to carry a lightweight textile jacket around with you. Although even with that, what I often do now is put a cable lock down through the sleeve and attach it to the bike. A top box is the best solution, but who wants to put a top box on a sports bike? (Pigeon excepted of course! Laughing ). I don't even want to put one on my Fazer. I would if the whole rack was easily detachable.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:41 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where there's a will there's a way

https://www.remotemoto.com/articles/building-motorbike-snow-chains/

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 21:45 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I can't pick up the back of my Rebel with one hand and move it about but the DT175 (arguably the sort of bike that made green laning feasible for the masses) isn't that much worse than some of the ebikes I've built.

If you tipped either bike into a ditch which one could you wrestle out unaided?

That's the reason I haven't called the F650 guy yet in these impulssive days... Confused It's no lighter than my cb and I can't imagine picking it up many times from a rut.

Also...that bike is freaking cute and right up my street! I dislike most of the newer styling that hardly resembles the classic motorcycle shape.

Bhud wrote:

I've got a nice ride suggestion for you.
From Uxbridge, go to Pinewood Studios, then up at the end of the road, head towards Gerrards Cross. Turn off just before you get there, and go to Beaconsfield. From Beaconsfield, go to Penn. From Penn, follow signs to Great Missenden. There were several good roads along this road you've just taken, and now you're riding in the Chilterns. Lots of great roads everywhere you go. Do a big circle back via Wycombe.
This route will keep you entertained for a long time.

Thanks Very Happy This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I'll have something to do this weekend!!

chickenstrip wrote:
doggone wrote:

It's why I pretty much gave up on leathers. They're all very well and good when you're actually riding, but I usually have destinations in mind where I'll spend some time, and it's less of a pain to carry a lightweight textile jacket around with you.

I got a good mesh jacket as I was sweating all the time, still, my leather trousers boiled me quite a bit over summer, especially during my day long rideout. I got some simple textiles for this but won't be used till next year now heh Mr. Green

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

Thanks Very Happy This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I'll have something to do this weekend!!

No problem. I'm like you: a 2-hour ride with just the right amount of challenge and rider involvement in it really hits the spot. This sort of area, and Bucks/Herts/Oxon, has (in my opinion) much more meat on the bone than Surrey if you want a chance to practise some technical road riding. Surrey has some great roads too (from Virginia Water to Camberley/Blackbush airport and surrounds is where you want to be), but Dorking/Leatherhead and towards the South Downs is more like a scenic route for summer rides. Great roads with good surfaces and visibility, but they can be crowded, and the main issue with them for me is that they're either dead straight (which is a bit boring unless you like straight line blasts) or winding but (because of poor visibility, cyclists, etc.) not the sort of road where it would be wise to test what you can do (the roads up and around Box Hill being a case in point). Really nice places to visit when the weather's right, but they won't give you that feeling that perhaps they did a few decades ago. I know there are much, much better roads for motorcycling than this in the South Downs (around Petworth I think), but I don't know where they are, as I've only been there once or twice. As for Surrey generally, I haven't been to Box Hill even once this year. Ace Cafe: it's very London isn't it. I'll only go there if there's an interesting event on - you need to be further west and out of London to find good roads IMO.

If you see someone on some antique giving it the beans this weekend along the route I suggested, give us a nod.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:43 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you're in Uxbridge? I had thought by your location map that the Chilterns must be worth exploring. Also, as an alternative destination, how about H's cafe, a popular bike meet point, and crossing the Chilterns for you. Not too far either, 35-ish miles:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Uxbridge/H+Cafe,+Oxford+Road,+Wallingford/@51.5787851,-1.107501,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4876692cd5d16dc9:0x51248770eaf8cf05!2m2!1d-0.479611!2d51.5485!1m5!1m1!1s0x4876bf9670db2841:0x6ff82d303869492d!2m2!1d-1.1751128!2d51.6578578!3e2

Sundays, plus during Shifty "the biking season" Shifty , they have some bike nights too.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:05 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:

If you see someone on some antique giving it the beans this weekend along the route I suggested, give us a nod.

I will Very Happy

chickenstrip wrote:
Ah, you're in Uxbridge? I had thought by your location map that the Chilterns must be worth exploring. Also, as an alternative destination, how about H's cafe, a popular bike meet point, and crossing the Chilterns for you. Not too far either, 35-ish miles:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Uxbridge/H+Cafe,+Oxford+Road,+Wallingford/@51.5787851,-1.107501,10z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x4876692cd5d16dc9:0x51248770eaf8cf05!2m2!1d-0.479611!2d51.5485!1m5!1m1!1s0x4876bf9670db2841:0x6ff82d303869492d!2m2!1d-1.1751128!2d51.6578578!3e2

Sundays, plus during Shifty "the biking season" Shifty , they have some bike nights too.

I went there on my first ride with another biker Very Happy reaaaaallly enjoyed the day, left in the morning, had lunch at the H, then was at the ace at ~5, stayed there till 11 watching some donuts and wheelies.
He had preprogrammed a very complex route, altogether almost 300 miles of mostly twisties. Too long for me to remember. I'll be honest, I was knackered as I'd never spent so many hours on the bike.

---

If anyone saw a bike on the A40 just before the last bridge where it becomes Marylbone Rd, that was me.

I forgot to turn the petcock to on, and it seems that my riding this week has been very bad, as I only managed to get 185 miles, which is usually when I fill up after hitting reserve and there's still 1-2 litres in there...

Anyway, couldn't really push the bike up that or out of the A40, luckily there was an Esso a few minutes away, they didn't have cans, but the great guys at R Agius Scooters lent me one. Very Happy I hope they sell many bikes.

As for priming the carbs, what is a good method, crank with no throttle, or crank with full throttle? Does that create more vacuum or does the air just flow trough another route. My vacuum hose connects to one cylinder, not the carbs. My petcock doesn't have prime.

When I took out the carbs to clean it look looooooong, as I was afraid of draining the battery, I sucked on the vacuum hose, hoping that opened it to let some fuel in. (probably a bad idea) After a full cranks I opened the throttle and it ran, so idk if my priming worked, or just the throttle opening. Neutral

https://i.ibb.co/k9dCfLV/Whats-App-Image-2019-10-18-at-10-18-10-AM.jpg
image uploader

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

As for priming the carbs, what is a good method, crank with no throttle, or crank with full throttle? Does that create more vacuum or does the air just flow trough another route. My vacuum hose connects to one cylinder, not the carbs. My petcock doesn't have prime.

When I took out the carbs to clean it look looooooong, as I was afraid of draining the battery, I sucked on the vacuum hose, hoping that opened it to let some fuel in. (probably a bad idea) After a full cranks I opened the throttle and it ran, so idk if my priming worked, or just the throttle opening. Neutral

On my ER5 the fuel tap has a "PRI" position which is effectively just a bypass, so it lets fuel dribble in until the float bowls are full. Leave it on PRI for a minute then crank and if it catches, switch it back to "ON". Cranking the engine will create a low pressure in the airbox so will "activate" the petcock to an extent, but it'd take more cranking to get it pull fuel through. If it's running now it's probably OK.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:38 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

On my ER5 the fuel tap has a "PRI" position which is effectively just a bypass, so it lets fuel dribble in until the float bowls are full. Leave it on PRI for a minute then crank and if it catches, switch it back to "ON". Cranking the engine will create a low pressure in the airbox so will "activate" the petcock to an extent, but it'd take more cranking to get it pull fuel through. If it's running now it's probably OK.

My petcock doesn't have prime Rolling Eyes

One of those large plastic syringes might work to either create vacuum or squirt fuel down the fuel tube or overflow bowls...

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:28 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the suggestions, I made these two for tomorrow.
Go:
https://goo.gl/maps/QDVYGtWL8uzqnjFR9
Return:
https://goo.gl/maps/XT4brbDf7xwbgmBs6

Thanks for all the input guys Surprised

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
Go:
Return:

Very Happy Banging ride. I've got a fairly big set of roads in the general environ that I would call "would test you" roads. And I mean, anything above 125cc and any skill level could be tested on those roads - very few cars, really good bends and surfaces, etc. There is a risk of flying into a tree on some of them, but isn't there always, eh.

You're a commuter, therefore a good rider (I used to commute by bike all-year round so I know). Take it easy the first time, watch for slippery patches and gravel, etc. I'm not into biker cafes in general, but H-cafe is a good place to go if you want a starting point from where the good roads are. The real highlights are the forested B-roads through the Chilterns - not many cafe-goers return via those, but they really are the best. Henley-on-Thames to Reading used to be good in the old days but it's too crowded with slow-moving Sunday drivers now. The one alteration I would make to your route, maybe after you've done it a couple of times, is Great Missenden to Princes Risborough. Great Missenden westward through rural areas and the villages (don't worry it's all very well signposted) would be better because it will be completely empty, with really good winding roads and visibility.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:48 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:
Go:
Return:

Very Happy Banging ride. I've got a fairly big set of roads in the general environ that I would call "would test you" roads. And I mean, anything above 125cc and any skill level could be tested on those roads - very few cars, really good bends and surfaces, etc. There is a risk of flying into a tree on some of them, but isn't there always, eh.

You're a commuter, therefore a good rider (I used to commute by bike all-year round so I know). Take it easy the first time, watch for slippery patches and gravel, etc. I'm not into biker cafes in general, but H-cafe is a good place to go if you want a starting point from where the good roads are. The real highlights are the forested B-roads through the Chilterns - not many cafe-goers return via those, but they really are the best. Henley-on-Thames to Reading used to be good in the old days but it's too crowded with slow-moving Sunday drivers now. The one alteration I would make to your route, maybe after you've done it a couple of times, is Great Missenden to Princes Risborough. Great Missenden westward through rural areas and the villages (don't worry it's all very well signposted) would be better because it will be completely empty, with really good winding roads and visibility.

Man it was great!!! Definitely had to take it easy on a lot of bits,I think when I sent that over to my phone it rerouted some of them, as some had a pretty bad surface, still, most of them were great!

I guess I was a bit afraid of going on my own, whereas last time I was following someone but it is a blast!
Technically ended up not going on my own, my work colleague joined last minute and I led, which felt weird considering he's got a bigger bike and many more years xp, but I will go on more rides now even if alone.

Mostly I like going to the cafes to look at other bikes, having only ridden one big bike, mine is always going to be "the best" until I try anything else. Also saw a Funduro which I was thinking of buying for green laning, probably not a good idea for a beginner, too big too heavy and 6cm less travel than average DSs, but looks very comfy for longer stuff. Also saw a few enduros, even if light they look freaking tall, think something like a TW200 might be more suited for me.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 186 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2