Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Spark plug question

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Spark plug question Reply with quote

Hi guys

Just a quickie this time. Ordered a set of spark plugs from Fowlers by selecting my bike from the list, CR8E was identified as the correct spark plug for my bike.

Went to remove the old spark plugs and although they look identical to the new ones (same total length, seat position, thread etc) the code on the old ones is CR9E.

I fitted them anyway and the misfire/splutter that was there before is still present (so I'm now thinking carbs), other than that everything else seems to be running the same as it was before.

Is this something I should be concerned about? Could it be I was sent the wrong spark plugs for my bike? Or maybe because they're nearly identical despite the difference in code the previous owner just used CR9E instead of CR8E because that's all they could get hold of at the time and didn't actually make a difference to the running of the bike?

Obviously each character in the code means something, probably a reference to the specs of that particular spark plug. Can someone explain what all the numbers and letters mean please?

Many thanks!

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Tell us the make model and year of your bike and I bet someone on here will tell you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:37 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number 8 plug is a slightly cooler one than a number 9 plug. The cooler the plug, the smaller the bowl round the electrode is.

The bigger the bowl, the bigger the the initial detonation is becuase it can hold more mixture. If it is difficult to start and tends to run cool, go for a hotter plug, conversely a hotter plug can cause overheating and knocking.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Hi,

Tell us the make model and year of your bike and I bet someone on here will tell you.

Good point that might help! 2002 FZS600 Fazer

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The number 8 plug is a slightly cooler one than a number 9 plug. The cooler the plug, the smaller the bowl round the electrode is.

The bigger the bowl, the bigger the the initial detonation is because it can hold more mixture. If it is difficult to start and tends to run cool, go for a hotter plug, conversely a hotter plug can cause overheating and knocking.

That's really helpful, thank you. Presumably then, assuming Fowlers database is correct and the original fitted plug would have been an 8, the previous owner may have changed from an 8 to a 9 to cure poor starting?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:09 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly.

It's also just as possible that they'd heard some bollocks about hotter plugs increasing power.

Try the 8s and see what happens. If it runs like a bag of nails, try putting the 9s back in.
Feathers McGraw This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:20 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feathers McGraw wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The number 8 plug is a slightly cooler one than a number 9 plug.

Opposite way round.

Higher digit = cooler plug Thumbs Up

Congratulations on taking the time to look up my answer on Google to see if I'm wrong.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Possibly.

It's also just as possible that they'd heard some bollocks about hotter plugs increasing power.

Try the 8s and see what happens. If it runs like a bag of nails, try putting the 9s back in.

But, while you say increasing spark plug temp doesn't increase power, would reducing temp potentially reduce power?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:05 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Possibly.

But, while you say increasing spark plug temp doesn't increase power, would reducing temp potentially reduce power?

A plug with a bigger bowl will result in a slightly advanced ignition due to greater propagation of the burn but as to whether this will result in more power or whether itll just result in more heat and the likelihood of knocking is anyone's guess.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would very much doubt the difference between an 8 or 9 rated plug will be even noticeable on a larger cc lower tuned 4 stroke. However my standard statement in all cases like this is go with the manufacturer recommendation as long as your engine is standard.

When I had 2 strokes it could be critical especially after so home made tuning. Whistle It could be the difference between a solid piston or one with a hole in it Shocked

You haven't got that worry Thumbs Up

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I would very much doubt the difference between an 8 or 9 rated plug will be even noticeable on a larger cc lower tuned 4 stroke. However my standard statement in all cases like this is go with the manufacturer recommendation as long as your engine is standard.

When I had 2 strokes it could be critical especially after so home made tuning. Whistle It could be the difference between a solid piston or one with a hole in it Shocked

You haven't got that worry Thumbs Up

Thanks for this. And I take your point that the difference would be minimal but I much like yourself always prefer to go with standard manufacturer's recommended parts etc. Although Fowlers specified an 8, the ones that came out were a 9, in addition I have since watched a YouTube video of a spark plug change on a FZS600 and I noticed the ones that came out of that were 9s too :-/

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:

Thanks for this. And I take your point that the difference would be minimal but I much like yourself always prefer to go with standard manufacturer's recommended parts etc. Although Fowlers specified an 8, the ones that came out were a 9, in addition I have since watched a YouTube video of a spark plug change on a FZS600 and I noticed the ones that came out of that were 9s too :-/

I have just braved the cold to go out to the garage and pull the plug cap of a cylinder on our year 2000 Fazer hack which has gone 40000 miles with as much abuse and as little maintenance as possible and is still going strong.

As well as getting a dirty hand I can confirm the plugs fitted to it are 8's.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 15 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The correct NGK spark plug for the FZS600 is the CR8E.

The higher the heat range number specification,the colder or harder conditions the plug will run in.

As a good example,my old Honda CB550K3 (c.1978) usually ran a D7 type spark plug.As I also rode a CB750F2 and the plugs were a D8,I tried the cooler plug in the CB550.When I say that I tried them,they did not work at all.As soon as I reverted back to the D7 type,the CB550 ran perfectly.

Always have a 'Plan B'

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:18 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have just braved the cold to go out to the garage and pull the plug cap of a cylinder on our year 2000 Fazer hack which has gone 40000 miles with as much abuse and as little maintenance as possible and is still going strong.

As well as getting a dirty hand I can confirm the plugs fitted to it are 8's.

Wow thank you for doing that for me. I feel better now. I also feel guilty too, but you are a Polar Bear after all!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1