Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Road bike innovations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:37 - 16 Oct 2019    Post subject: Road bike innovations Reply with quote

I haven't really followed all this closely since way back in the 80s Shocked
But I've always felt that the 80s were a period where things changed and moved forward quite radically. The 90s seemed to me more like an era of refinement.

I get the impression the most notable advances these days are with electronics, so I wondered what people consider to be the major landmark innovations in engine and chassis design since, say, 2000?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:55 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly upsidedown forks and single sided swinging arms, not that either are demonstrably more than a gimic.

Everything has got significantly more reliable with even the most basic maintenance. Most owners won't need do much more than put fuel in and lube the chain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:29 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Everything has got significantly more reliable with even the most basic maintenance. Most owners won't need do much more than put fuel in and lube the chain.

Going forward, electric motorbikes, plug in charge, if it has a belt check that occasionally, but, may even be a hub motor, so no belt to check either. Other than that, you're really only looking at tyres, brakes & bulbs

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Possibly upsidedown forks

1980's.

Quote:
and single sided swinging arms

1940's.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
doggone wrote:
Possibly upsidedown forks

1980's.

Quote:
and single sided swinging arms

1940's.

Trellis frames?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:15 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel consumption is better. Bikes are quieter...

Nah, that's about it. All downhill in other respects from about 2000 onwards.

One thing I have noticed is size. Bikes are getting bigger and bigger. My VFR750 was considered to be a lardy sports tourer when it came out, it was a BIG motorcycle. Now it looks tiny when I park it in a row of modern bikes. Even some 125s.

Incidentally I've seen 1950's mopeds with USD forks. Monkey bikes have them too.

Nothing new in this world.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:21 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there was a Revzilla vid I saw a while back looking at Harleys over the years and they made the same observation on bike length over time.

Am I right in saying long = more stability but short = better cornering?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:23 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Trellis frames?

SDR200 came out in 1986. It had a trellis frame AND swingarm and I'm damned sure it wasn't the first road bike to have one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:26 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Yeah, there was a Revzilla vid I saw a while back looking at Harleys over the years and they made the same observation on bike length over time.

Am I right in saying long = more stability but short = better cornering?

Yes and then again, no. Broadly yes. However it's possible to have a very long bike which falls over into corners. Or a short bike that has to be fought through every bend.

Rake angle and trail are probably more important than wheelbase. Even tyre profile plays a part.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
I always believed Yamaha did the most to pioneer bike technology from the 80's to 00's. The other manufacturers all copied these ideas later.

They introduced the first Ally Deltabox type frame (TZR250 2ma/1KT), the first 2 stroke powervalve system (YPVS), the first 4 stroke powervalve system (EXUP), the first 5 valve heads (FZ750 Genesis). Also the FZ750 was the first bike I remember to have the engine slanted forwards, with the carbs above and the storage part of the fuel tank down towards the seat, like most modern sports bikes.

These are the kinds of things that I was thinking about, since all of this is what was happening in my early days of biking.

So am I right in thinking the 80s was the most innovative time for road bikes, let's say in their 'modern' guise? or at least, since the golden age of Brit bikes? I've always felt that I was lucky compared to younger generations that I got to grow up with bikes of this era, when there was so much going on like this. Was it really a unique time? Don't get me wrong, I know the refinement that I mentioned has carried many bikes further in terms of what they are now capable of, but it really has been just that, hasn't it - refinement? After the late 80s/early 90s, there weren't really any more major advances with engine and chassis design? I wonder what the manufacturers and their design teams would have to say about that.

Electronics and materials technology - these are what have replaced advances in engine and chassis design. But does this mean they don't think there's anywhere left to go with the latter? You would think that ever increasing performance would highlight new problems that might be solved with radical new solutions.

Since we are probably getting close to the end of the days of the ICE, seems to me a good time to be taking stock.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think braking and tyres are much better these days, yes the concept and basic construction is the same but would you rather have 80s brakes and tyres?

Some engines were both reliable and capable back then, arguably some racing bike suspension wouldn't be much worse than today either.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
I think braking and tyres are much better these days, yes the concept and basic construction is the same but would you rather have 80s brakes and tyres?

Some engines were both reliable and capable back then, arguably some racing bike suspension wouldn't be much worse than today either.

All just refinement - no new solutions. ?
Radial mounting of brake callipers perhaps?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:44 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS as a concept has been around for a while and BMW started slapping it on bikes in the late '80s (with Yammie and Honda following soon after) it's only really been recently it's become standard on most bikes... and only the major brands at that.

Reading into the CX500 (thanks, Mr. Forte!) seems like Honda had a few good ideas - it's not all on Yamaha Smile

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:46 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What is the advantage of this anyway? I can understand it on the rear but this new innovation seems to affect the front wheel.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:53 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

What is the advantage of this anyway?

I can't remember. I'm sure there is one though.

Here ya go:

Quote:
When someone mentions "radial brakes," they’re usually talking about radial-mount calipers. For the longest time, calipers have been mounted to bosses that were cast into the lower fork tubes using bolts that run parallel with the axle. Radial calipers have similar bosses cast into the stanchions, but they are cast so that the caliper mounting bolts run perpendicular to the axle.
What does this mean? Well, as you can see in the illustration above, the braking forces transmitted are all in line with the direction of wheel rotation. There is no opportunity for deflection because the braking forces are on the exact same plane as the rotational forces.
There is no increase in braking power with a radial setup versus a conventional rig. Rather, the lack of torsional flexing (lateral movement) means crisper-feeling brakes at the lever. Although it may seem nearly imperceptible, that tenth of a millimeter or so that the calipers are allowed to deflect simply feels to the rider like a mushy brake lever.
The other benefit to these systems is that larger rotors can typically be fitted simply by spacing the caliper farther from its mounts. A traditional setup requires a custom mounting bracket, at a bare minimum, to make such a change. Larger rotors increase the mechanical advantage the caliper has on the rotor, which typically yields (you guessed it!) better braking feedback.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:46 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't 'new' even when it was, sort of, but probably the most significant 'advance' in tech of the last 1/4 century has been in radisl tyres.

As old pops used to say, almost everything else is re-invention; he looked at a magazine expose of the oval-piston Honda Never-Ready once, and commented that Norton had tried that when he was a kid in the 1930's!!! Little is actually all that novel in the world of engineering, its just made cheaper and more manufacture-able. That is probably the single greatest advance in technology of the last 50 years... making stuff affordable.

Interesting that in the 1080's, the 'old' defacxto standa\rd motorcycle design, the Teiumph Bonaville was still available new in the show rooms, along side the now defacto standard motrorcycle design the Honda CBR600.....

So I would plump for COST being the all important 'advance' in motorcyle design,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
he looked at a magazine expose of the oval-piston Honda Never-Ready once, and commented that Norton had tried that when he was a kid in the 1930's!!!

There was a lot of talk of the wonder of ceramics for pistons and god knows what else around about then too. Not much came of that, did it? Not with road-going production motorcycles anyway.

Quote:
So I would plump for COST being the all important 'advance' in motorcyle design,

Cost was not one of the options. Engine and chassis design are the options.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 17 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

So am I right in thinking the 80s was the most innovative time for road bikes, let's say in their 'modern' guise? or at least, since the golden age of Brit bikes?

I'd say so.

So......has anyone written a book about it all? Idea Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't radial brakes just a product of the upside down forks?

As far as progression with technology I think it has pretty well stalled nowadays. How often do we see a new bike as in a brand new model that isn't a update on an old one? Can someone say what the last all new bike built was by anyone?

In the 80's the big manufacturers turned out something new at least every year and usually more often. The had the resources, money and vision to try new things. Even Norton worked on a wankel engine.

I think we are watching the end of motorcycling as we think of it. The money is in Asia with scooters, not Europe with large cc toys.

I can see some bike manufacturers closing their bike divisions in the not too distant future. All the Japanese companys have other products. Honda and Suzuki with cars, Yamaha with musical instruments and Kawasaki with heavy engineering. I doubt losing the motorcycles would cause them too many sleepless nights.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

As far as progression with technology I think it has pretty well stalled nowadays. How often do we see a new bike as in a brand new model that isn't a update on an old one? Can someone say what the last all new bike built was by anyone?

There's plenty..

RE Himalyan
RE 650 Twins

HD Livewire

Evoke Urban range ..
Evoke 6010

Zero DSR

And plenty of others, but cba to list anymore

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:12 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all went downhill after the Turbo 'Busa...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAKqhwLQ4Jc

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things have come back around and into fashion again.Finger followers on DOHC engines instead of shim under bucket for example.
I don't really buy the first 200bhp> litre engines as huge advances in technology over older say R1 and GSXR1000 and CBR1000RR engines. Any of these if re-designed with silly short strokes and titanium internals could have been reliable 200bhp+ engines.

All you've got now is integrated chassis and electronics designs, and ever more integrated systems and stuff like CAN bus looms. But frames and chassis have probably got far better since the 90's for those who can push a bike hard enough on a track to the limit to notice.

They have gone away from stiff is good and stiffer is better. And now they can design and simulate a chassis and deliberately introduce more flex in certain planes but with immense strength and rigidity too.

The computer modelling and simulation advances have hugely moved on the ultimate two stroke exhaust designs and performance too. This is in part to to the greater knowledge of the subject since all GP classes stopped using two strokes and the information, testing development from teams like Aprilia has become public knowledge. But also because of advanced full engine and bike simulation and design software that can model, shape and test exhaust designs and ideas very accurately without ever building a pipe or doing track testing.

Even in the 90's the simulation software wasn't good enough alone to get 99% of the way without alot of physical prototypes and track testing.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

There's plenty..

RE Himalyan
RE 650 Twins

HD Livewire

Evoke Urban range ..
Evoke 6010

Zero DSR

And plenty of others, but cba to list anymore

Well, firstly we are not talking about electric bikes, we are talking about mainstream ICE bikes you see in every day use.

And by new, perhaps I should have included the word innovative which is certainly something you can't accuse Royal Enfield of being.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3