Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 Restricted - how does it feel?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

StevieP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:15 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: A2 Restricted - how does it feel? Reply with quote

Hi

A total newbie question here, Embarassed

I have completed my CBT and am looking to do my mod 1 and 2 next.

I am of an age where I can do A2 or DA path. I am also able to use the schools bike. The have a "Japanese 650 restricted" for the A2 and "Japanese 650 unrestricted" for A, both the same model.

As a new rider, even though I am old enough to ride a larger bike, I was going to get a 400cc for a couple of years and then larger if i wanted. I have however been advised (by the school), that if I do the DA on the unrestricted bike then "all done, less faff", which does appeal.

So my question is if the bikes are the same make and model, they will have same brakes, same size, same weight, same handling; What about the restriction, how does it work? Does it limit torque all through the revs? or does it feel exactly the same with the same acceleration with a little twist just the grip only goes 3/4 of the way round?

Many Thanks

Steve P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not directly answering your question, but...

It's the same test, same price, and may well be taken on the same model bike, so why would you want to take the A2?

StevieP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:29 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:

It's the same test, same price, and may well be taken on the same model bike, so why would you want to take the A2?

Hi Fizzoid, I am a shortass, I am looking at a running a smaller bike. Why stress myself on doing a test on a bigger bike.

I guess I am trying to assess if the larger cc bike is harder to handle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:44 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevieP wrote:
Hi Fizzoid, I am a shortass, I am looking at a running a smaller bike. Why stress myself on doing a test on a bigger bike.

I guess I am trying to assess if the larger cc bike is harder to handle.

No excuse! I've bought myself a Honda Rebel 'cos I am, erm... not overly tall Shifty Still went and got the full A licence. Dammit, man, have some self respect Very Happy

Seriously though the schools don't have bikes that are impossible to ride if you're under 5'6" otherwise they'd be killing off a good chunk of business. Could I get both feet down comfortably? Nope! Could I get one foot down without the bike tipping over? Of course!

Personally I don't like being "perched" on bigger bikes but that doesn't make me physically incapable of riding them Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A2 licenses are for people who aren't old enough to get a full big boys license.

Do DAS and then you will enjoy it many times.

You can still get a 400 and having DAS means that when you want to get something bigger you don't have to mess around doing more tests.

As the bikes the school have got are the same just one is restricted and the other is unrestricted, they'll both be as easy as each other to physically handle. If you can do it on one of the bikes then you can do it on both of the bikes. Thumbs Up

There's absolutely no reason or benefit to do A2 rather than DAS.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevieP wrote:
Why stress myself on doing a test on a bigger bike.

You'll be taking the test on the same bike, regardless of A2 or DAS, you said so yourself

The school I went to had lowered bikes to cater for the more vertically challenged, me included

StevieP
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:26 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am sold on doing the DAS. If the unrestricted bikes are no more 'twitchy' than the restricted. I would not expect to be red-lining it on the test.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:32 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top man!

The restricted bike is still more than capable of breaking the speed limit, so regardless of restricted or not, it's all about throttle control and learning to ride the bike

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on the bike, it will be restricted mechanically or electronically. If it's an sv650 with an a2 restrictor, it's very difficult to notice it's restricted until you gun it up the rev range. Therefore, as said above, you really would be wasting your time going down the a2 route.

Having ridden an xj6n with mechanical restriction on the throttle, I can honestly say it wasn't a problem when riding it whilst instructing. It still had all the 'go' it needed.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, do DAS, get it over and done with.
Unless you get a stupidly sports tuned bike it will only go as fast
as you tell it to.

As for size, unfortunately they do tend to make bikes 'one size fits all' which can be a PITA
for taller than average folk as well as shorter then average.
OK we can get our foot on the ground, but some bikes are very uncomfortable
so we often have to try and adjust or mod them to suit us better.
Taint fair but thas life eh?

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:24 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are over 24 there is no point doing A2. Mosts training schools cost the same for full A or A2 restricted. Might as well do the full.

As for what it feels like. From experience on a Suzuki Gladius which I could change the ECU from A2 to full A. The only difference I could find was the A2 bike would not go faster than 100mph. The full powered ECU could. Acceleration was no different, of it it was it was negligible. Just the top end was restricted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:47 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be, somehow, confusing ENGINE CAPACITY, first with actual physical size, and then that with, a) power, an b) with the 'dynamics' vis the power delivery and the 'twithiness' of the handling.

Short answer is JUST do the Damn DAS tests for a Ride-What-You-Like licence, after that, IF you donnt want to ride a mwega ninga turbo busa bladed, guess what..... you dont have to its a RIDE WHAT YOU LIKE LICENCE.

I have had mine quite a long time, and, you is letting ore conseptions eff you up, CC isn't 'size'; nor 'power' nor 'twitchiness'. I think that probably the most 'twitch' bike I have ridden in the last half century was a) bludy scary, and b) a three and a half horse-power Honda Cub 50 moped!!! (belonging to No1 son 'Crash-test') As said the cc sticker on the side mean bugga all. That thing was twitchy cos it was short, Had diddy little wheels and weighed about as much as a half eaten bag of chips! It didn't help that you opened the throttle and it got louder but not really any perceptually faster! But still...

SWMBO has progressed from a Chinky 125 cruiser.. cos woman... and told the loe seat was 'good' for little legs.... the lay back saddle and foreward set foot pegs and wide high handlebars were NOT. Like I said the pysical size of the beast has effall corrolation to the cc stamped on the crank-cases, her now 750cc Moto'guzzi is actually no heavier than that 125, nor any 'bigger' as far as bun to bars to foot pegs or floor distances...

FORGET the CC.

Power is another matter.. but similarly a big cc engine doesn't mean more power... you mention a 400.. so its with noting that there are a lot of 400cc bikes that make as much or more power than ones with engines twice the displacement.. eg OTMH a Honda VFR400, claims something in the order of 60bhp, a Harldley Movin-son 882 piglet twice the cc, claims anything between 45 and 75bhp depending on which mags you read, or what mood they were in at the factory when they put the engine together... What matters is the 'thrust' yiu get at the back wheel shoving you along, and a lot of that depends not on the 'peak' power claimed in the brochure, but the power delivery and state of 'tune' of the engine, the gearing from the crank to the back wheel.... lower gear gives more thrust whatever the power that the engine makes, so a bigger and or softer tuned engine 'usually' feels slower but more relaxed as the power delivery is more linar and less frantic, usually with less revs and more push.

Weight then starts to come into it, and force - mass x acceleration, so a lighter bike tends to feel more 'twitchy' as less force is needed to make it change direction or speed, and again, all subjective, the geometry of the bike, like wheel base, weight distribution, steering angles etc all come into play... and a more sporty style bike will tend to be twitchier than a more cruisery style one... BUT we are back to making generalities that leas to the sort of presumption you have made compounding EVRYTHING with the engine CC.... which is nothing more then the size of hole in the engine where fore happens.

Go do DAS go learn a thing or two, then when you have a licence to ride ANYTHING you will be able to discover for yourself.

As had been said, the school bike you will likely take your tests on will be exactly the same, whether A2 restricted or not, in everything, but how much power it's engine may make, with an A2 'restricted' version of the same bike literally being restricted by dint of some mechanism, be it a set of orifice plates in the intake to limit the amount of air the engine can ungest, or a throttle stop that does the same, or a re-mapped EFI that srarts leaning out fuel/air ratio as peak power is aproached, with or without that restriction method being best optimised and matched to a suitable ignition curve or gearing to give a similar linearity and power-delivery to the 'thrust' at the back whee.

Still boils down to, go do the full fat RWYL 'a' tests via DAS rather than A2... THEN whe4n you have a ;licence in your pocket go Ride What You Like... and do NOT compound iseas of 'size' with the engine displacement.... they do not work. Choose something soft and sensible for your first bike, and to my mind, there are many soft and sensible litre bikes out there that are less light and flighty than things with half the size of fire hole stickered on the side..... and with the RWYL licence you can ride what you effin like... as said, Laddo's C50 was one of the more scary bikers I have had the misfortune to experience in the last forty years... so makje of that what you will... BUT without the licence you aint qualified to ride effall,..... do worry about that, and the difference between Rear-Obsertvations and Life-Savers etc.. thats what will get you ANY licence, not dithering whether it would be any easier on any particular bike with a particular sticker on the side, more that that will have any bearing on what comes, or may come after by way of what actual biker to buy....

Don't sweat the small stuff... go book a course for a full fat RWYKL 'A' entitlement licence; go lkearnb something, and if you dont believe the school 'now'; over A2 vs 'A' entitlement now.. heaven help you, and my sympathy is already witrh the instructor you will challenge at EVERY step along the way, not trusting hie word!!! Your call.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1