Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Throttle cable snaps, why?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Throttle cable snaps, why? Reply with quote

Any experience of this/ides about it?

The throttle cable snaps inside the twistgrip, immediately below the nipple (3) which locates in the plastic rotating part of the mechanism (2), the cable tunning in a deep groove that runs around much of the periphery of the rotating part.

It seems that the cable inner is somehow bent backwards and forwards and breaks at a kink made in it by the "closed" non-grooved part of the rotating mechanism (1). There are some marks inside the throttle housing (the part that the rotating mechanism rotates in) as if the cable inner is popping up out of its groove.

The nipplele should not rotate at all inside its receptacle, the throttle should come up against a rotational stop before all the cable unwinds from the slot.

Two cables broken this way; 1 OE, 1 made up with brass nipples and original 7 x 7 cable (lasted a month).

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:48 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no reason why the nipple should move. Make sure it's in the correct position (so that at rest the cable goes directly down its guide with no bends).

Is the throttle badly adjusted? If it is, when you shut it off you may be accidentally forcing the nipple to rotate.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using some grease. The standard throttle assembly should not require any lubricating, but I'd do it just to see if it helps. I had to lubricate one of those chinese ''quick action'' short ''MX/Enduro'' throttles that I've put on the MZ, as the cable was very noticeably rubbing against the pulley inside the throttle assembly, the rubbing was audible. The whole thing is sealed so I smeared some vaseline (grease) there and it's been like this for maybe 5 years with many, many flat out miles (flat out = 62mph).

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 18 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

what cheap ass shit fucking bike?

I'll have a wild guess anyway
The cable hasn't been set up properly or the inner is too long and gets distorted 'worked' just after the 'nippele' when the throttle is closed and it dont like it, so eventually snaps out of spite.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stronger return spring. Also all nipples should be able to rotate.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
what cheap ass shit fucking bike?

I'll have a wild guess anyway
The cable hasn't been set up properly or the inner is too long and gets distorted 'worked' just after the 'nippele' when the throttle is closed and it dont like it, so eventually snaps out of spite.

This ^^
The throttle body returns to its adjusted position on the carb. The sleeve is gripped there. The sleeve is also held at the twist grip.
When you return the twist grip to tick over, there is slack on the inner cable. It's 'gathering up' inside the twist grip each time you return it to tickover.

An easy fix, if possible, is to slightly shorten the inner cable. Does the twist grip have a cable adjustment slotted bolt with lock nut? It needs adjustment until slack in the inner cable is removed.
** WARNING: Be very careful how much slack you adjust out. Doing too much can increase engine revs when turning the handlebars. (both directions)

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:07 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

props for the very clear and informative hand written diagram.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:46 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The heat from the soldering heat hardens the steel cable making it brittle. Solder wicking down the cable creates a stress riser directly below where the solder comes to.

Sometimes an aggressive flux which hasn't been neutralised will also cause corrosion.

If a cable is going to break, that is where it will break.

I bet if you look closely, the cable sticking out of the nipple will be soldered down to where it broke.

vitus detritus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 14:18 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Nipples Reply with quote

Who said the nipples shouldn't rotate ? They damn well have to rotate ! Take some fine emery paper to your nipples and smooth out all the flash (mould lines) and then apply a dollop of grease when you install. And while you're at it, get as much grease/oil inside the cable housing as you can.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The heat from the soldering heat hardens the steel cable making it brittle. Solder wicking down the cable creates a stress riser directly below where the solder comes to.

Sometimes an aggressive flux which hasn't been neutralised will also cause corrosion.

If a cable is going to break, that is where it will break.

I bet if you look closely, the cable sticking out of the nipple will be soldered down to where it broke.

This is the second cable to break. The first was OEM. Both breaks were in the same place.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: Nipples Reply with quote

vitus detritus wrote:
Who said the nipples shouldn't rotate ? They damn well have to rotate !

In the case of trhis throttle cablke, it runs out of the groove in the rotrating twistgrip mechanism in a straight line, when the throttle is closed, i.e. at a tangent to the periphery. The nipple should not be rotating at all (unlike on a "cable" brake lever).

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. I made another cable inner up. This is made of bicycle gear change cable, which is not as flexible as 7 x 7, but isn't strained on bends.

The return spring at the carb end (on the butterfly valve) seems OK. Operating the valve manually doesn't show up any roughness.

The cable has been adjusted so that at maximum throttle opening (at the twistgrip) the butterfly valve is very close to fully open. There are a couple of mm "slack" at closed throttle. I have no idea what manufacturer's recommendations are as the manual for this RS3 is not available (GRR!).

It seems to work OK. Opening and closing the throttle a number of times and examining the cable shows no bending, but it did not last time either...

Will keep an eye on it and look for incipient cable damage in a couple of days.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As stinkwheel says - heat? How much heat are you using? What are you using as a solder to fix the nipple on?
I ask because that's a type of high tensile wire and heat alters the properties of it - it could well be making the wire brittle or perhaps turning it 'soft'.
It's a fine line between those phases of alteration and something you might not be noticing due to the wire being thin and rapidly cooling between heating stages.
Have a story:
I was a blacksmith/welder at a mine. One of our tasks was replacing massive white metal nipples on the end of the steel ropes which raised and lowered the cage in the shafts. Most was straight forward but the heating had to be even (to ensure the white metal adhered to all of the rope strands) but also done through stages. Back then we used something resembling wax crayons which melted at certain temperatures. We'd touch the rope and follow the heat path to make sure we never went too hot otherwise the rope would change in its properties.
Obviously that's not possible given how small your nipples are (ooerr mister) but you get the idea as to how bad too much heat can be.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:32 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
As stinkwheel says - heat? How much heat are you using? What are you using as a solder to fix the nipple on?
I ask because that's a type of high tensile wire and heat alters the properties of it - it could well be making the wire brittle or perhaps turning it 'soft'.

It has been said: "The heat from the soldering heat hardens the steel cable making it brittle". In fact, it makes the strands of the cable a lot softer, as you say. It can easily be seen: get a piece of inner cable, and heat it. Let it cool in air. Bend it. Try a file on it. You will see what's happened. Now, re. solder, yes it can run into the cable, but that simply moves any concentration of stress along the cable. In this case, the cable should not be bending where it exits the nipple, cos that bit's unmoving in the groove in the assembly. I think the problem's possibly that the inner binds in the outer, leading to bending near the nipple when the twistgrip's closed. Again, an original cable failed in this way, followed by the replacement made up at home.

For soldering, I'm using lead-free plumbers' solder (melts at ~228C, a bit higher than 60/40 which is ~190C. I'm using the smallest nozzle I've got with propane (and only the outer cone of the flame), careflly, with La-Co flux, heating the solder as well as the nipple wken applying. The cable is bicycle-shop gear cable (enough for two cables, £1.40!).

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
I was a blacksmith/welder at a mine. One of our tasks was replacing massive white metal nipples on the end of the steel ropes which raised and lowered the cage in the shafts

Coo! I had a go at that years ago. What mine? I assume your rope was the locked coil type? I've never seen winding rope with nipples, only the socket type. I'm told they use epoxy now, but I'm not sure that work on my tiny nipples Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:
I was a blacksmith/welder at a mine. One of our tasks was replacing massive white metal nipples on the end of the steel ropes which raised and lowered the cage in the shafts

Coo! I had a go at that years ago. What mine? I assume your rope was the locked coil type? I've never seen winding rope with nipples, only the socket type. I'm told they use epoxy now, but I'm not sure that work on my tiny nipples Laughing

Could they be sockets? I dunno now! The wedge-shaped white metal ones. Ashington Colliery, Northumberland.
I've hunted out a smaller practice one I made decades ago - was taken home, forgotten about, found in a shed, painted and added to the fireplace junk and then thrown back into the shed!
This hoist rope is around 1" diameter. (sounds like you're doing them correctly)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48929898701_7c8a65cf01_b.jpg3 by Craig David, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48929899206_d4c6c6096d_b.jpg2 by Craig David, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48929900201_20693bcdb2_b.jpg1 by Craig David, on Flickr

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:32 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wouldn’t break when he works the twistgrip.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:53 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

Could they be sockets? I dunno now! The wedge-shaped white metal ones. Ashington Colliery, Northumberland.
I've hunted out a smaller practice one I made decades ago - was taken home, forgotten about, found in a shed, painted and added to the fireplace junk and then thrown back into the shed!
This hoist rope is around 1" diameter. (sounds like you're doing them correctly)

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48929898701_7c8a65cf01_b.jpg3 by Craig David, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48929899206_d4c6c6096d_b.jpg2 by Craig David, on Flickr

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48929900201_20693bcdb2_b.jpg1 by Craig David, on Flickr

When you get onto properly big ones, not like that piddly stuff you have there, they use crimps. They used to have up to 250 tonne wire rope slings at my Dads lifting equipment company. The white metal was swaged on with a hydraulic press and a form. Wire rope the thickness of your arm.

The scary thing was when they proof-loaded them in a hydraulic test bed. One broke once, cut most of the way through an RSJ.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1