Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

How seasonal are insurance prices?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 17:22 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: How seasonal are insurance prices? Reply with quote

Hey, so I was trying to get some quotes on some old dual sport / adv bikes. Resulting in 1.5-2k shock.

I decided to try running my own bike, which was £250 with pillion, 10k miles and commuting (and even then the rest were 400-500), and guess what, around 1-1.6k depending on mileage/pillion/TP or TPFT.

I even went over my current policy details to make sure nothing is wrong giving me an unfair discount, and it isn't! So how the hell does it quintuple???

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:33 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.postimg.cc/j5nZ2nkL/Screenshot-2019-10-19-at-19-32-04.png

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:41 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol. ^

London. Leave it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You try fully comp? 95% of the time it's a small fraction of the price of TP or TPFT (at least in my experience)

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:40 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
You try fully comp? 95% of the time it's a small fraction of the price of TP or TPFT (at least in my experience)

London.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:08 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how that works out. I paid about £350 IIRC for a brand new bike, fully comp and an example quote recently for the old DT was about £100. That's for the north end of Surrey, close to London.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old dual-sport = highly nickable wheelie machine.

London, as mentioned.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I've heard people say that, but I have never found it to be true. Pity!

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:23 - 19 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I know being in London does that to premiums, but what baffles me is that 3 months ago I was quoted in the 250-500 range and now on THE SAME BIKE 1000-1500 Neutral with the same details that I have in my current policy, O copied them over for precision.
So either the algorithms changed a lot in the mean time or I dunno Karma

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:20 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new benelli 125, they wanted £340.

I changed postcode to one half an hour away from London, £89.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
3 months ago I was quoted in the 250-500 range and now on THE SAME BIKE 1000-1500

They're saying for some reason they don't want your business this time. Their view of an insurable human isn't you. Take the hint and move elsewhere.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:
3 months ago I was quoted in the 250-500 range and now on THE SAME BIKE 1000-1500

They're saying for some reason they don't want your business this time.

Yep, I wonder if they've already got their full quota of high risk (London) policies this month and need to offset with some low risk customers. The high premium is a way of declining without simply telling you to go away. Try again on Nov 1st. (I should add that I'm only guessing this is how they work.)
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:53 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: How seasonal are insurance prices? Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
... I was trying to get some quotes on some old dual sport / adv bikes

Massively nickable, irrespective of location. Chavs and thieving scrotes are all over them like flies on shit.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:01 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
An "Annual" insurance policy is seasonal? That's special, very special.

Some of how prices are calculated could be based on where we are in the calendar month, the calendar year or the tax year.

I can vaguely see why they could play a part in how much they choose to quote but who knows, it doesn't have to make sense to us mere mortals. Laughing

Yorkshire Geek
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:58 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
]
Yep, I wonder if they've already got their full quota of high risk (London) policies this month and need to offset with some low risk customers. The high premium is a way of declining without simply telling you to go away. Try again on Nov 1st. (I should add that I'm only guessing this is how they work.)

The principle is right, but I doubt it's applied monthly. The term is underwriting capacity, if you're running out of headroom you stop insuring high risks and go for the low risk.

Same for mortgages, there's a limit (risk weighted) to how much a bank can actually lend to mortgage customers. Maintaining net interest margin usually means a degree of higher risk loans but the majority will be to people with virtually no risk of default or very low LTV. If the net interest margin for the mortgage book gets too low cheap mortgages only available to "perfect" customers may be pulled in favour of a higher rate that's more widely available. It's nowhere near that simple in reality but that's the basics of how the system works.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:34 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, those explanations do make sense.

I've managed to get some decent quotes from carole nash, which were not to bad either when I originally insured mine. My current doesn't seem to offer multi bike discount anyway/

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 20 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
I've managed to get some decent quotes from carole nash, which were not to bad either when I originally insured mine. My current doesn't seem to offer multi bike discount anyway/

You've gone through those price comparison sites, then?
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:28 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
TheWhiteBaron wrote:

You've gone through those price comparison sites, then?

Yeah, Entire Cover, which is then to Markerstudy, so wouldn't be able to just add.

I usually do this:
1. Check with current insurer
2. Go on 2 or 3 comparison websites
3. Go directly to the lowest to see if it goes even below the comparison website
4. If That's still to high, I'll lurk google for some company that didn't show up on the comparison sites

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:49 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So a February to February year has different seasons, numbers of months, tax years, weeks and pay days than a March to March year?

What? Laughing

The calendar year is from the 1st of January to the 31st of December.

The financial year is from April to April, which exact days depend on if if the personal financial year or the corporate financial year.

Your February to February annual policy is at the start of the calendar year and approaching the end of the tax year, being a new calendar year could mean something price wise.

A March to March annual policy is much closer to the end of the financial year than your February to February policy so that could also mean something in terms of which prices they're willing to offer people.

It's a matter of how much do they want that business or not want the potential liability right then.

All I said was that how of how the prices are calculated could be based on where we are in the calendar month, the calendar year or the tax year. Then I said that I can vaguely see why they could play a part in how much they choose to quote. Bold has been added for emphasis, when insurers are already taking a million and one other factors into account I expect that they also take the previously mentioned factors into account as well.

Maybe people who start policies in March are statistically less of a risk than people who start policies in February.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:15 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, every insurance policy does include all 12 months.

But the price they quote you depends on huge numbers of factors based around how much do they want your business or not want the potential liability right then.

If people who start policies in March are statistically less of a risk than people who start policies in February then policies bought in February will be more expensive than those bought in March.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:22 - 21 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
So what date is the cheapest to start an annual insurance policy Ste?

November, first half, most likely.

Also the same for holiday destination flights. Some odd wizardry at work.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2