Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What's the A1 like?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: What's the A1 like? Reply with quote

Next Sunday I has to drive from Middlesbrough to Putney then back to Bristol
feckin Motorway driving is boring but faster I know
I thought I might try the A1 to Brent cross then the A406 Norf and A205 sahf circular/s to Putney
then back up the 205 to the M4 and home.
Haven't used the A1 south of Doncaster for years and was hoping it might be a little less
tedious than the M1 but still allow decent travel time

Opinions?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:38 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to go "Up t'North" for jobs and also got bored with the M1/M6 so tried the A1... in a car Shocked

About half of it is fine and it mostly gets better the further south you get. On a bike though I would imagine it'd be a breeze: "Who the fuck is towing a caravan in October?! Fuck 'em." zoooommmm....

Having said that when I go down to Cornwall in the car I rarely go M4/M5 any more as it's way too dull. A303 all the way, baby! Caravans or no caravans. Haven't quite plucked up the courage to do the journey on the bike yet Shifty

You casually mention the north & south circular... errr, have you been round those roads before? Certain parts might be "an experience" Smile Hangar Lane is something spectacular. Don't forget to stop off at the Ace Café on the way Very Happy

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:41 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Re: What's the A1 like? Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
What's the A1 like?

How the A1 Became Britain's Sexiest Road

"When Graham Kidd started converting Little Chefs on the A1 into sex shops, he was sure the local farmers would be the first to complain. It was a few years ago, and Graham, whose firm Pulse and Cocktails owns 21 stores across Britain, had just opened his inaugural shop on the A1 (he now has three along the road). Like any new business, the first few weeks were slow. Cars whizzed by and locals didn't want to know. Then, one day, a tractor pulled into the forecourt.

"The farmer wandered in," says Graham. "After browsing the magazines and blow-up dolls, he picked up a Fleshlight and asked what it was. When our staff explained that it's a male masturbation tool disguised as a torch, he was amazed. 'Wow,' he said. 'This'd be great for when I'm working the fields.'"

The farmer bought the device and the staff thought nothing more of it, until the next day. "The following lunchtime, literally five tractors drove in from the A1 and all five farmers each bought a Fleshlight," Graham says. "They couldn't get enough! We had to ring central office to ship more down to cope with the demand."

To this day, he says, that shop is Pulse and Cocktails' biggest seller of imitation Maglite vaginas. "I won't tell you which store it is, only that it's surrounded by fields," he adds. "I wouldn't want to scare off our best customers."

Welcome to the A1 – the mothership of the motorway sex industry.

Motorways should not be sexy. Nothing says "it's not you, it's me" like a cold, emotionless strip of tarmac. They are portals of frustration, designed for the sole purpose of getting you from a place to another place. It's about the destination, never the journey. They aren't fun like high-streets, or picturesque like country lanes. That's why kids watch TV inside cars – because there's nothing to see outside them.

Then there is the A1. Haven't you ever noticed one of the half-dozen roadside sex businesses dotted along the 165-mile stretch between Leeds and London? I did during a drive north a few months ago. On the way back, I counted them – four sex shops and two dedicated swingers clubs. If you're looking, they're near-impossible to miss.

Then I looked online. "I drive past these all the time," wrote "Rubberduck" on one forum I stumbled across. "Anyone been in one? ... Surely better to just order stuff online than from one of these seedy places? Would have thought they would have gone out of business years ago but what do I know?"

Rubberduck got me thinking. Are they seedy? Why are they there? Who visits them? And why is the A1 a good place to sell sex? I drove from Leeds to London to find out."

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/7bmj74/up-the-a1-how-the-great-north-road-became-britains-sexiest-motorway

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:11 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I did the A1 for most of its length, and it was quite some time ago, main thing I noticed was that it was infested with speed cameras. I don't remember anything particularly interesting about it beyond that.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nearly as boring as the M1 !!

dynax
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:12 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse and cocktails Laughing , had many happy times browsing Thumbs Up

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Found 11 Clips With "Whats The A1 Like"

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:44 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the A1 when I go ‘oop Norf’.
Although it’s not the most exciting road, it’s not so bad.
It’s a damm site better/easier to get off and find a cafe than the motorway.

Keep an eye out for speed camera vans and you’ll be okay.
Like any major road , piggies will be hiding behind junctions and hedgerows waiting to get you Evil or Very Mad .

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If not in a rush consider Humber Bridge and A15, don't go into London beyond the M25 you will get stabbed for sure Tut Tut - almost everyone will stab you repeatedly, especially if they realise from Middlesbrough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You survived the Boro?

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:30 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I noticed the sex shop on the old Little Chef site near Doncaster
I only went in for a friend....

One of my lads lives and works in Boro near the James Cook hospital
I find Boro pretty boring TBH, the drive up and back from Bris is a chore.
Wish he lived nearer or somewhere more interesting.

I lived in Acton/Shepherds Bush in the early 80's and was a driving instructor
in mostly west London so know my way around pretty well and Hanger lane has no horrors
for me as long as I'm the one driving
Done the Ace cafe trip 3-4 times from here on a bike and that's enough.

Sod it I'll do the A1 route just a for a change

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
A303 all the way, baby! Caravans or no caravans. Haven't quite plucked up the courage to do the journey on the bike yet Shifty

You should try it. I did London to Amesbury return last Friday night after work. It was, hmmm, exhilarating with no back electrics.

Quote:
Hangar Lane is something spectacular. Don't forget to stop off at the Ace Café on the way Very Happy

What's wrong with Hanger Lane? Its just like a roundabout, only bigger Laughing Besides, coming from the M1 end of the North Circ, he'd pretty much go straight across it, not even round the HL gyratory.

I'm supposed to be in Putney on Saturday night at a Halloween party, but I'm likely to be on shanks' pony at this rate Rolling Eyes Still, means I could get more pissed. Yay.

How tempting it is to bunk off work and blag a lift down from Putney to Wiltshire for a little light arsin' abaaahhhht.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:36 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those farmers with Fleshlights, eh?
Must've got bored of looking up cows' hoo-ha's day in and day out Laughing

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sat hav prefers the A1 when we go south and back north again, as said earlier it’s as dull as the m1.

At least on a bike you won’t get held up in traffic which seems to be the norm for the A1 these days.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not many roundabouts, but they are all down this end where I am.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

F18
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:12 - 22 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sex shops aside, A1 south of Donny:
Boring as can be. But less boring than the M1, less busy (at least on Sundays) and probably less strain.
More places to stop/rest/fuel if needs be - most all the cafes stops sell coffee etc. !
South of Grantham has had the statics replaced by specs (IIRC) - a few miles stretch.
You won't make amazing progress (well, you might) but can you on the motorway nowadays?
You are going to need your winter gloves I think, something plugged in from Mr G would be useful.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks but I'll be driving not riding
dads taxi, bloody kids and all that

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Thanks folks but I'll be driving not riding
dads taxi, bloody kids and all that

Services are poorer on A1 than M1 imo, as said I seem to hit more traffic on the A1 than M1.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A1 is slightly less boring but can be slower as much of it is only 2 lanes. Have to agree about services, not as good as the M1 but it's easier to pull off and find something else

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:10 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly do Scunthorpe to Wandsworth on my VFR and I find the fastest route is A1, M25, M4, A4 then the Fulham Palace Road.
It's a bit longer than using the A406 but I find it quicker.

The ride is boring but I can get home faster than taking the tube and trains from work. There is one section of average cameras below Grantham which I go through at 80 and have never had a ticket the static camera is clearly visible but the A1 is not littered with cameras.

Will be doing this ride on Sunday after fitting my upgraded R/R this weekend.

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
A1 is slightly less boring but can be slower as much of it is only 2 lanes. Have to agree about services, not as good as the M1 but it's easier to pull off and find something else

I agree with this - the two lane sections are slightly annoying ( compared to the three on the M1) but it’s more interesting. There’s also a semi decent bacon sandwich place just off the A1 (by Peterborough as I recall). Take care in the 50 zone just south of Doncaster too and there’s average speed cameras further south (but well signposted).

Not sure how easy it is to pull off on the road though! 😮

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

myvision wrote:
I regularly do Scunthorpe to Wandsworth on my VFR and I find the fastest route is A1, M25, M4, A4 then the Fulham Palace Road.
It's a bit longer than using the A406 but I find it quicker.

The ride is boring but I can get home faster than taking the tube and trains from work. There is one section of average cameras below Grantham which I go through at 80 and have never had a ticket the static camera is clearly visible but the A1 is not littered with cameras.

Will be doing this ride on Sunday after fitting my upgraded R/R this weekend.

Well if some geezer in an old Galaxy toots his horn flashes his lights and tries to run you off the road shouting "fekin biker scum!" it'll only be me sayin hello
( i gets a bit stressed)

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1198 wrote:
Not sure how easy it is to pull off on the road though! 😮

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48387010

Easier since Little Chef went under Smile

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 23 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go A1 - watch your speed cos the damned thing is LITTERED with cameras.

For me, Day time - A1. Late night - M1.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:34 - 24 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is as long wending and almost boring as The A1.
🙄

🤣
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 184 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2