Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

350 bullet Trials redux

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:03 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You kept the headlamp peak Laughing

That looks seriously fun.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:09 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
You kept the headlamp peak Laughing

That looks seriously fun.

The peak is good. It stops the light overspill getting in your eyes and directs a small but significant amount of light onto the road in front of you. It also has 6 years of Dragon rally entry stickers on it.

Fun. A mix of type 1 and type 2 fun. Type 2 fun is lifting a 180kg bike back on its wheels on a surface you can hardly stand up on for the third time.

I would struggle to convey just how steep and rough some of the sections were.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned some other Enfields, what range of bikes were doing the trials?

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Type 2 fun is lifting a 180kg bike back on its wheels on a surface you can hardly stand up on for the third time.

You are selling this to me more and more. I live in the middle of Salisbury plain, pretty good location for it.

There seems to be a lack of dirt cheap knackered Enfields to convert though. My current CGT is still too minty fresh to consider.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:38 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:

You are selling this to me more and more. I live in the middle of Salisbury plain, pretty good location for it.

There seems to be a lack of dirt cheap knackered Enfields to convert though. My current CGT is still too minty fresh to consider.

A guy did it on an utterly standard RXS100 with road tyres. Clutch bombed on the second to last section though. There was a C90 too and an SS90 with a pitbike engine.

My tip would be to find something significantly lighter than an enfield bullet with decent ground clearance. Fit a bash plate, trials tyres and gear it down a lot then have a bash. I'm doing it the hard way! Everyone was keen, helpful and non-judgemental and in many ways, looked down slightly on people taking pukka trials bikes.

There is a big long distance trials scene down south. Lots more accessible green-lanes.

A Yamaha Serrow would be my tool of choice if I could pick anything but maybe an XL/XR125 (or Chinese copy thereof) could be found cheaply?

Quote:
You mentioned some other Enfields, what range of bikes were doing the trials?

Everythng from a matchless 500 single to a modern trials bike (the rider had to go round the route stashing fuel bottles at strategic locations).

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

A guy did it on an utterly standard RXS100 with road tyres. Clutch bombed on the second to last section though. There was a C90 too and an SS90 with a pitbike engine.

Prices cubs go for these days the C90 bloke was the rich one Laughing

I've taken my CGT across the plain a couple of times mostly on the gravel army tracks but a bit of mud was thrown in. It did surprisingly well, or I think it did (my only comparison is doing dumb shit on other road bikes). Handlebars, better rubber and a bash plate I reckon it would be proper fun. Maybe when I've crashed it a few times I'll convert it.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 188 days between these two posts...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:54 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been doing some work to make it lighter.

First thing to go is the rear subframe. It just supports the rear mudguard and taillight but is meaty enough for a pillion seat. I've opted for a plastic mudguard. I've bent up and brazed lugs onto a steel loop which will support the mudguard and a much lighter taillight/numberplate bracket (still in the design stage).

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fPFGZaCKWqUKH8JRm7thruuBqWaYPHJ_9rKGzg7dDfDNzT7x8bRjkTQ44wVh97zmsXGHqVAHWJyfKdo7c01Fz_oaHzuP1J8HuyppbuMUTz_0S1ZnNbmbSvDAB909UUrWrGflI0wtVw-RL4b3ykAOOi=w650-h866-no

This is all just at the mockup stage just now. It'll need taking off, painting and re-fitting with proper fittings once I've got the final layout.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3e3HLA7y2fBrgWvRs2XIobM1-7rJBBnAyysg0qkkeYxzUeEYN_LYsAmEpHmJxzoCqXVPisDmeD-4z39UEp5edOC-hk2FmNOzEkXY80Jmwu4mMYmEILrAQXRd_KTAAOPdoo3xLvHYmmQplbVJvMI_4iu=w1155-h866-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dvoFopWeSXj7psfKU6ofknHr4xoJk4BrIZwPEmO8HHH4--zOadxQC3-DRKpqc_lmcRKC9t0BbHYUpaOf4qAt2uxquD_zv8AA00vI2QsaEPaMpxF24aAsP4kNsaPcEB_qtRehYAUpfWDzmi4eE6kxO9=w1155-h866-no

I also folded up an alloy trials-style chainguard to replace the full-length pressed steel one. Must be 1/10th of the (unsprung) weight. The finction of this is to scrape ther mud and crap off the rear tyre so it doesn't get into the chain. It looks gray because i haven't peeled the plastic off it yet.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fFNUIdN_WJTd1G3eoPVZPyzm0mV9Msy5PEqHOdwklhO1kIw62dc_9Rhh8RSMX4TLupq5zOIijlXagEnLsv4inLszf3m2dgns6hk6-eGWHUuDdfUa_5O-yLaonuq2STo2rxBX4JOlQ13qfHa6LbBoAZ=w1155-h866-no

I was short a bracket so used a P-clip for the rear mounting point.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dXXicpvdyzprkSGKIHWXNQ6UbFLNVyIP3oyQYYavtw0QLKblo770Wy62FOu7TrSo2Zaqgpp3EQqQ5vV_EQRrOqQVQ_SJqwliK6oc6g2A5qHz0s9gEMkCrc3985YT9H60yksfxWtO8JTo_QhaEdT4DK=w1155-h866-no

I'm also going to try upping ground clearance and shock travel. Got a set of bultaco shocks on the way (£25 off ebay). They are off an off-road bike of a similar weight but are 60mm longer than standard bullet ones and have much longer travel. IF this works, I'll lace a 21" rim onto the front for a good inch more ground clearance and a sharper rake angle.

I say if because I've now created myself a huge chain tension/angle problem. It's way off the standard line and I have a diddy little front sprocket so it will rub on the swingarm at full extension. That's relatively simple to fix with a rubbing strip. The main issue is chain tension over the increased arc of travel.

The standard fix is a sprung tensioner. This needs a lug welding the the swingarm and is a fairly flimsy thing. it would be fine for "normal" trials but I suspect it will fail with prolonged higher speed road use. You can see the issue here with the swingarm at full extension (about 20mm beyond that really, this is exaggerating the problem somewhat). If I make the chain any tighter, it will be too tight at full compression.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3f1xw4dreaHsNA-XETd7eeS_rm8i8tO9Z6mrBeSBdyUlh2Hk3Nu6mz3y4fbuaX-cnNz7ydqhSE3cU18uK44fi4tHJVqlDrfvWGp0mY6XWtNbb9zLF-NJuWX2BX1WuLBWI-18WbeTxAcleQJTKomT5pF=w1155-h866-no

The circular lug you can see there is for the brake lever pivot. I reckon if I have a new fulcrum pin made up which extends towards the inside of the bike, I could fit a skateboard wheel onto it for the chain to run over. This should add tension when at full extension but the chain will come up and off it before reaching full compression. I've mocked it up here with a large socket on an allen key.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dkQFeDPgLzEslWDcFsivR8VutMxkSJvZJeWxJNS2Qi3y9hY7NJUtNvKNLPq9CXX9WADrjKwQFaKKBcKZZvmB_Fxn9ph1H8Y3hDEblO_A4vmxTN3-5CQBXe7ArLAGf3y3nL30OH3k4MprnnJv7CSVyl=w1155-h866-no

Next step is waiting for the shocks and fitting them, then I can set chain tension at full compression and see what the chain looks like at full extension. I was however bored last night so I did a drawing in anticipation of my skateboard wheel idea being viable. My local light engineering guy will be able to rattle this off for me but will complain about the cycle thread. Took more doing that I thought because i had to work out the dimensions and bearing spacing of the skateboard wheel.

If it does work, I might get him to make up another three and flog them to people in the enfield owners club because the issue of chain tension with long shocks comes up quite regularly. I also had to buy 4 skateboard wheels.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fq7g3Y2JSlPBMQXme14hCCxvKib3tj_Wg76sbSwscxBgO_H40k8MHj80yN3xBzDzajQyCVdSTxFyrtGofKjxSlTgmo8dGTY4qJ7rEjn7t6iX33IaNa5m_DdwS72w3JZASDBsylN_-tT966-4x0aUtS=w1123-h794-no

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that mudguard: begging for a copper pipe clip Smile

<edit> Lot's of this sort of stuff about:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/VScAAOxy1klRb~YA/s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gas-Gas-Pro-Trials-Bike-Chain-Tensioner-Assembly-2002-2018-125-300cc-Models/181323122702

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:34 - 20 Sep 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I'll probably land up brazing a couple of steel eyes to it so I have a hard-point to mount the tail-light.

Those sammy miller type tensioners are plan B. They just seem a bit on the flimsy side. I'm worried I'd get halfway through a trial and it would eat it. I've had little success with similar devices on single speed bicycles.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:31 - 02 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stinkwheel, when you have been using it in anger how much shite gets in the rear of the casquette?

Guy that built mine I think intended it for dry days on the Plain, I'm looking at the wiring I can see in my casquette and wondering if it'll be an issue.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 04 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question... how were those eBay Chinese shocks? I'm guessing they are 320mm? I have what I think are standard shocks on mine and they seem short and not very boingy, they felt like the weak spot today on the bike.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:16 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was almost no shite inside the casquette. That all said, I've wired it all with bullet connectors in silicone sleves, they don't mind getting wet all that much anyway.

The cheap Chinese shocks are fine. yes 320mm. No complaints about them really and I'd say better than the originals. I just decided I could do with more travel and length. Maybe a bit less weight because they aren't lightweight componants.

I fitted a set of bultaco shocks the other day but they are way too weak for someone my size and have hardly any damping left in them. Got some YBR125 ones on order (got them for £20) those are 350mm but I expect they'll compress some when I put the weight of the bike on them.

I also ordered a proper trials tank from India so we'll see what arrives.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 07 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

The cheap Chinese shocks are fine. yes 320mm. No complaints about them really and I'd say better than the originals. I just decided I could do with more travel and length. Maybe a bit less weight because they aren't lightweight componants.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll get some ordered, been out again today and the standard shocks are just too firm. I have a set of Ali mudguards to fit as well so will do it all at the same time. Think I need to make taller brackets on the rear subframe for them though, as is I have very little clearance between the bottom front of the rear guard and the tyre (it's a 4.00-19).

stinkwheel wrote:

I also ordered a proper trials tank from India so we'll see what arrives.

Bloke I bought mine from had put the H's Ali tank on the other 2 he was selling. He had one for mine but I didn't want to part with the money he wanted for it. Was more interested in getting him to sell me one of his many 5 speed boxes but he wouldn't take my £300 offer.

The H's tanks in the flesh are proper tiny, I'm sceptical about their claim of 1.5 gallons. Be interesting to see what you get from India.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:51 - 08 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how the mudguards fit up. No two seem to have the same radius. You'll probably find an alloy one fits neatly all the way if the one I put on my 612 is anything to go by.

Interestingly, the tank I've ordered is steel. It's from a company who do nothing but fuel tanks. They do the alloy ones too but this one is steel made to the same pattern. I'd be terrified of dropping it with an alloy one fitted and I figured that if they are good enough to weld alloy ones, their steel welding should be bomb-proof. I'm going to line it anyway though

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:06 - 28 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. YBR125 custom shocks fitted. £20 off ebay. The Bultaco ones I tried were way too highly sprung meaning static sag was zero even on the softest preload setting.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3deuFrGL9wtOllEK1TbpbiQs84tPJln8uOat6UhnWUqQO8LrjztCEHCNggclNraFge0S1S6f4UuwGFNRNpyydnKeZ5gyNywbgdGijv2RvoJzMa1QTS2rXY7LI35GR9ywjq5-150iJLR7IKscYceqqkk=w645-h860-no

Also got the final fit on the chain guard, which was a scutter.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dwJZmYlfi53mAqUzEaytR1c-wBBCwLKGFOiEdXPy0jdpzr3JpIMbdtHyPtwGsVqNUic_mj75-uXDIXmuoRXrn9fhBu521GgBJbJmdGLMgPeEn5bWkqsuCH2Ek2gqETq4DoZEZNYHFdJ5t4HsP2lHCt=w645-h860-no

Rear subframe painted. I decided to use P-clips for attaching the mudguard itself. Keeps things simple. I also folded up a super-lightweight taillight bracket from the same alloy plate I used for the chain guard.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cZxa_Mrcru6YmMHBZHUEXu4tyWbM7as0ZziddXAXuNnkwYLFJzuMSmoUQCBFDF8RWKsD9bIJBP-HT3-LSZ_BV_YLU7zdEI9nM9KAylyoJnpRvnDHz71j_0RnXNzrk5kG1BRbKu_IQXggXKksDv9yLX=w1147-h860-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3fOP5WTBkbacNgHxk22qK9mQ0rrbql-3YpRFLx_dyoV9lnCjn6pfVWzNL02n7ihUb-tauNq5oeARKt2T102mrM0qYeE_lfUEnA45YQ3zUtKr4so0PTsknTl_wp8JKyLvULREJu_P2L3O5uO9m7eLwg2=w1147-h860-no

The chain roller idea is going to be necessary but I don't think it will need anything more complex in that regard. I also found an industrial nylon roller with bearings fitted which should do the job nicely. Just need to do that, wire up the light and route the breather then the back-end is done. Oh, might need a longer speed drive cable, the current one is stressed to its limits, the new tank may create a bit of slack though once it arrives.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3d4TVstHV8eEx5tc0IpCmfAP7qeNGcVtXZbGbxRbsr1cFOETZ09nPwQzAwBsVxCkgeyHzAx9cT92IRPtTXwEdeMjWQW7HxuTM32OmZw7T8bm_mamX4S2u3N6hE6N46L5yYee1z48FC_ms-kSbeAHa3d=w1147-h860-no

They sent me pictures of the tank prior to dispatch.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3dXnJYEl7E-ZOuKGuG3C0FaPIrHzdEFXRDkQVftBeonMURro40Jof1Ttd4A7YnQEnO0rDMdYTrBj145xdJUnIh5jfcrrZxaK7SMBs6MsWNpaza0B8Qujuo0iggU7wFjb_XAhmw7ZPyOCydrWdfpKLRo=w1147-h860-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3cP3joC6s_T_71drssIT8wWH6fACyhQqGf7U1aJ3oXjE5iE0mOyn4Aqz114BoMBDKsx9TWRsciBGr_NymUe6uzw_NH8MAS7696FM-bnY4t3Z2LlHn8NxZm1zdxaS7t45xcDGJqYyFzIYANky7JakfQQ=w645-h860-no

I will be wanting a 21" front wheel, to-follow.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 28 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us updated on the shocks, I've not pulled the trigger yet on the Chinese ones so still weighing up options. I'd like to splurge on YSS or Hagon but with the amount I've spent on bikes and parts this year the Mrs will actually stick a blade in me while I sleep if I buy fancy shocks. Tank looks like you may have found a bargain, guessing the bike is only for trials so range is not a concern?

I like your subframe, I'm wanting to change mine, it's over engineered, I think it's from an Electra or early c5 and designed to take a pillion + the tabs need relocating. I need to mount a rack though so can't go as simple as yours. If you are ever wanting a more compact light/plate arrangement I bought this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Rear-LED-Tail-Brake-Stop-Lights-For-Harley-Chopper-Bobber-CAFE-RACER/233618207422?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649 and so far it seems good.

I have the 21" front, all I can say is I have no issues with the front wheel, it seems to effortlessly go over anything I point it at. I don't really have anything to compare it to though as other bikes I've taken on the same tracks had road tyres so apple to orange.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:27 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are if I want more range, I still have the bigger tank. It's only two bolts and a hose to change it over.

It's amazing what the 19" wheel will roll over, A 21 should be better still. I pretty much have to go 21" now I've jacked up the back end or I'll never get it to go where it's pointed, rake angle will be too slack.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:41 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size shocks? 290mm?

I've got some Hagons I stripped from the ol' DT which were about 10mm longer than needed. (I replaced them with some cheap knock-offs meant for a Suzuki 125. Not the greatest but look the part.)

Just measuring now... damn, 330mm Sad Probably a wee bit too much Thinking

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:00 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Closer to 245 centre to centre. Any more would probably be unworkable without serious geometry re-work to get a workable chain line. Or dinner-plate sprockets.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Closer to 245 centre to centre. Any more would probably be unworkable without serious geometry re-work to get a workable chain line. Or dinner-plate sprockets.

245? I was going from:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Rear-Shock-Absorbers-Open-Springs?&model=everyone

...lists for 290 ~ 320mm

My 330s would still be too big though Sad

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy, at the point you are navigating H's website you may as well cave in and buy a Bullet!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:07 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
Easy, at the point you are navigating H's website you may as well cave in and buy a Bullet!

Lol... it's a good website! You type in "Enfield Shocks" on eBay and a gazillion listings come up but with zero specs Sad If you're lucky they might list the model.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:03 - 29 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

245? I was going from:

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Rear-Shock-Absorbers-Open-Springs?&model=everyone

...lists for 290 ~ 320mm

My 330s would still be too big though Sad

Sorry, 345.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:25 - 30 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Confused

Anyhoo, does anyone need a pair of 330mm Hagons before I throw them in the crate of DT parts? Very Happy

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:24 - 30 Nov 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Anyhoo, does anyone need a pair of 330mm Hagons before I throw them in the crate of DT parts? Very Happy

How much do you want for them?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 137 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8