BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dropped it!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

jdwhittaker
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:40 - 26 Oct 2019    Post subject: Dropped it! Reply with quote

Well it finally happened, ive bloody dropped her.

Took the bike out the garage, left the stand down whilst i shuffled it past the car and then got off again thinking the stand was still down. Then time slowed down as i watched her tip over.

Happy to say the only damage was to the R&G engine slider and frame slider. The bars landed on the rubber mat outside the front door. £50 well spent on some bits of sticky out plastic. I was expecting scratches and dents gallore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 26 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are the worst. The ones that you know are totally your fault and you feel such a prick when it goes over.

My best? one was on a Goldwing. Put the side stand down and leant it over while sitting on it, only I hadn't put the side stand down and by the time I twigged it was too far over and fell trapping my leg.

I was there crying 'HELP' until a couple of blokes came over and lifted the bike off me. Embarassed

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 26 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

By best was in the Co-Op car park about an hour after school chucking out time, hence a large audience of mums & associated rug-rats.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:37 - 26 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only marks on my Bandit are from when I was moving it in the garage and dropped it against the Workmate.

I said several dirty words.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 27 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've all dropped, or nearly fallen over, our bikes. Didn't put my 1200gs adventure on its side stand properly and watched it gently boxer itself over! 250kgs+....bye then. Simon Pavey technique and I was up about and highly embarrassed!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:28 - 27 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twice with Fazer 1000s.

First time, picked a really stupid place to turn around; a field entrance on a steep slope. The bike got away from me downslope, no chance of holding it, but managed to let it down fairly gently. Fuel was pissing out from somewhere, and no one around to help, god knows how I managed to get it upright again, but wrenched my bad shoulder doing it. That was in Wales. Lost count of how many pain killers I took to get me home to London. Rode most of it one-handed.

Second one, didn't put it in gear when parked up to take in the view just down from the Port de la Bonaigua pass in the Pyrenees. Taking a photo with my back to it, I heard "kerrrrunch!" behind me. Seemed much easier to pick it up again this time, but resulted in a scraped fairing, bent handlebar, scraped engine casing.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nearly dropped mine over the weekend similar to chickenstrip, decided to do a U turn in the road, pulled into the entrance to a driveway on the left hand side which was a steep uphill driveway. My right hand side leg is not nearly as long as I thought it was! Had my leg extended fully outwards at about 45 degrees. Managed to stop it going down but was at such an angle was VERY HEAVY. No idea how I managed to keep it from dropping. Just nudged my right food inwards 1mm at a time until I could shift the weight back over to the other side and... PHEW!

Only a cheap bike it's virtually worthless and I'm about to replace it anyway as already got a deposit on another bike (just waiting to get paid and pick it up), but my heart was in my mouth more than say if I'd taken a corner a bit too fast and had to correct or slipped on a bit on some gravel while leaning round a corner and nearly lost it, even thought the consequences of those are far greater than laying it down gently while at a standstill. I think because it was ACTUALLY in slow motion it was so long and drawn-out (a bit like this post really) and there was virtually nothing I could do to stop it. So close.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:36 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropped my VFR the other week steaming as we had a mate round i'd left it out on the garden should have left it out but no great idea to put it away pissed.

Took it off the stand and it then trapped me between it and the fence my mate was pissing himself. No damge though.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My names Keith and sometimes I like to back my bike down a path at the wrong angle so I end up hugging a hedge with nowhere to go, and sometimes I do it when its icy to make it more fun.

Embarassed

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:34 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine fell over last week. I put the side stand down on what I thought was compacted gravel but when I came back about an hour later it had decided it needed a lie-down. I ended up with a scratched pannier and indicator and a broken mirror. Crying or Very sad It is also a complete bastard to pick up again.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a most embarrassing bike fails thread.
My most embarrassing bike drop was trying to pull away with a disc lock on. Why am i not moving forward? What was that clunk noise? Why is the world tilting sideways? Oh sheeeeyittttt! Then found myself trapped under a faired Xj6 and all this right in front of a crowd of school kids.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done various, but one that stands out was returning home after a rally, XJ900F fully loaded with camping gear, didn't want to carry it all in, so instead of carting it from the road I decided to ride up the kerb and along the path to the front of my house.

Got the front wheel up on the kerb then stalled it, both legs dangling in mid air. Wasn't pretty.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my first big bike CB400SF spec2 I was pushing it walking on the pavement. Then I lost balance and it fell down on the other side.
I was holding the handlebar till the end, and I was flying over the bike, I was rolling on the floor with the lid on. A passerby dudes came over to me and asked if I was ok, I was panicking and answered them "This bike costed me 600,000yen". They bursted into laughter and walked away. This was the most embarrassing bike event for me.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 00:04 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to take the bins out the other week, I’d already left for work but thought I’d let the wife down enough so went back.

I put my side stand down and it went into a little divot on the footpath without me noticing and as I walking back to work I heard this awful thump/crunch and turned around to see my scooter almost completely upside down.

I was gutted, then I remembered I wasn’t supposed to give a shit about this crappy scooter that cost me buttons. But I was gutted.

I’ve got over it now, piece of shit, wish it’d caught fire.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stalled my Brutale pulling away first time I rode it with winter gloves. Reversed out of garage, hopped off to close door, and then I tried to pull away while turning (=> banked over) to head off down the access road. Comparative lack of feel on clutch + throttle and the fact it has a cliff edge of torque low down did it in. Frame slider kept the whole bike save the brake foot lever clear, brake lever was only slightly bent. The handlebars didn't even touch the ground, they're quite narrow on the Brutale (noticeably narrower than the S1000R).

Probably the most awkward drop was trying to do a U-turn on my ER6f, uphill on a steep country road in Germany with touring luggage on. Realized I wasn't going to make the full turn half way through, but the road was too steep for me to put my foot down on the downhill side, and I basically leapt off for fear I'd break a limb with the bike falling on top of me.

I dropped my VFR once in the Pyrenees, was pulled over on some gravel to chat to my GF on her bike, and at some point I lost concentration and lost balance. The surface wasn't flat, and due to hills, verge etc. it was slightly visually confusing what upright was, and I just lost it, with no traction in the gravel to save it.

I couldn't say any of these was especially embarrassing, but all of them very preventable.

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to necro this thread. 2 weeks after picking up my new bike, I turned right at a junction and lowsided it. Took a while to work out why, but I think came into the turn a bit half-assed and non-committal. I tried to compensate by giving it way more gas than it needed, shit myself and grabbed a handful of brake.

Next thing I knew, I was sat in the road and my lovely red bike had its first battle scar.

Bikes get dropped. Everyone does it. We all feel like prize tits for doing it. What makes us a special kind of awesome is that we get back on and carry on.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

QueasyRider wrote:
Sorry to necro this thread.

Sorry enough to not do it again?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 20 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember having a nice chat with the bike shop mechanic who'd taken quite a shine to my recently acquired (used) R1 which was in for a service. It was dirty so he'd even jet-washed it and it looked magnificent parked at the end of a row of bikes. I paid up and proudly strode out, went through the usual gladiatorial engine warm up and donning of helmet and gloves, then rolled it back out of the line, all witnessed by a bunch of impressed schoolboys. Unfortunately the mechanic had left the jet wash out and I tripped over the hose. The bike fell away from me and crashed to the floor. Luckily nothing broke and there were only light scratches. The school kids helped me pick it up and I disappeared as quick as I could. I've never been back.

Royski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:25 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
QueasyRider wrote:
Sorry to necro this thread.

Sorry enough to not do it again?

Didn't say that, did I? Razz

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:31 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

QueasyRider wrote:
Bikes get dropped. Everyone does it.

Nope.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
QueasyRider wrote:
Bikes get dropped. Everyone does it.

Nope.

You are the exception that proves the rule, well done, sir Wink

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:16 - 21 Feb 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh the memories, Sainsburys carpark whizzing straight into the motorbike parking bay in front of the store with loads of people wandering round - forgot to put the side stand down oh no no no...

.. luckily able to pick it back up despite it hovering just inches off of the ground. Embarassed

Nash GT
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:23 - 16 Mar 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped mine while taking it out of a Van, bike on the ramp me walking backwards towards the doors, lost my footing went down with the bike following close behind proceeding to land on my leg.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1