Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

possible december 2019 election

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:39 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: possible december 2019 election Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50221556

well, you heard it, we will be having another election, In we can vote between beano boris or comrade corbin, what are your thoughts?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:14 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Mr Corbyn said Labour would back any moves by MPs to give 16 and 17-year olds and EU nationals with settled status the right to vote."

Can't think why.
Why not just allow Remainers and members of Extinction Rebellion to vote?

Also, I don't get this Liberal/SRP view that it should be held a few days earlier. Sounds a bit puerile.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:22 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's not a general election until there's a general election. In the same was as there hasn't been a Brexit.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently Dianne Abbot told Labour MP's who didn't want an election Tits or GTFO.

Or something like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:
Apparently Dianne Abbot told Labour MP's who didn't want an election Tits or GTFO.

Or something like that.

It was a three-line whip, and I read that the punishment for not voting with the party line would be Ms Abbott in a red leather miniskirt and stilettos walking on MPs torsos, thus inflicting agonising pain whilst allowing glimpses of a dark, well-filled, juicy gusset...

Polarbear feel free to commit that image to your 'bank' Laughing Laughing Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Corbyn is pushing for 16/17 year olds and EU citizens to get a vote.

You mean people who live here legitimately and have a vested interest in this country and policies of its Government ?

I bet you wouldn't boo if most 16-17 year olds and EU citizens were pro-Brexit right-wingers though....

Actually I agree that most 16-17 year olds shouldn't have the vote because as teenagers they are less capable of rational though than us sensible adults. Using the ability to think rationally as a determinant of whether one should be allowed to vote however, that automatically excludes anybody who's views differ from anybody else's, which is all of us....

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:24 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Come on, it's nothing more than Corbyn trying to cheat again. I'm surprised he's not asked for a voting cap at 30 too.

Most 16 year olds don't even know what fecking sex they are, let alone what's best for the country.

But they can vote for Labour.

Playing devil's advocate here, but who is more capable of making a rational decision in the interests of the whole of the population - the average 16 year old or the average Conservative MP?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Most 16 year olds don't even know what fecking sex they are, let alone what's best for the country.

A 16 year old can't
Open a bank account in their own name
Perform professionally abroad
Serve on a jury
Get a tattoo
Buy cigarettes and tobacco
Buy and drink alcohol in a bar
See an 18 certificate film at the cinema
Buy fireworks
Pawn items in a pawn shop
Leave home
Marry or register a civil partnership
Make a Will
Stand for election as a member of parliament
Carry an organ donor card
You cannot be made a ward of the court
Own land, buy a house or flat & apply for a mortgage
If adopted, can't apply to see a copy of your original birth certificate
Ride a motorbike above 125cc with a licence
Drive lorries between 3500kg and 7500kg with a trailer up to 750kg (with the appropriate licence)

But they can vote for Labour.

Rolling Eyes

Just to reiterate:

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=1&ContentID=3051

I mean, Remainers like FACTS, don't they? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:29 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

A 16 year old isn’t responsible enough to be charged with terrorist offences, but can vote for Labour?

i would trust a 16 year old's judgement, over mpd's any day of the week

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with lowering the voting age to 16 but only because it is a cynical policy by those who expect to receive their vote. It would be like saying that after people die they should be able to put in their will how they want their final vote to be cast. People can argue that 18 is an arbitrary number, and it is, but so is 16. 13 sounds far more reasonble to me as a voting age than 16, if we are going to move it because then they get to grow up voting.

mpd72 wrote:

A 16 year old isn’t responsible enough to be charged with terrorist offences, but can vote for Labour?

Or have Labour forgotten about Begum?

15 year olds could, and indeed did, vote for Boris Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:42 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it! Let 16 year olds vote. They won't turn up so what odds does it make? Laughing

The bit about EU citizens is laughable! "I work here so I should get a vote!" By that reasoning I should get a vote in both constituencies I live and work in. Ooooh! Maybe a partial vote in some London elections too as I work up town from time to time Smile

No, the only solid vote Labour have is from greasing the palms of the Imans although I'm sure Tory candidates do the same down the local synagogue Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:13 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate to say it and I never thought it would come to this, but to settle the EU question I think I'd prefer a "confirmatory referendum" to a general election. A GE is about more than a single issue so the waters are going to be muddied; and are we likely to emerge in January with a similar-ish and still indecisive Parliament? I'm not sure I could put Farage's single-issue party into wider power even if I agreed with their Brexit stance.

I think a confirmatory referendum would still be close, and then there's the question of whether to address the criticisms of the first one, i.e. should have had a minimum turnout [65%?], a greater than [60%?] majority to pass, and how to phrase the question?

Three years of the media battering Leavers might have suppressed the Leave vote though. We'd be left only with the consolation of mocking Remainers when the EU is seen to have either sown the seeds of its own destruction or become a tyrannical empire.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldnt give two figs what the voting age is.

Leave would still win a second vote.
Labour will still be obliterated in a GE.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I really hate to say it and I never thought it would come to this, but to settle the EU question I think I'd prefer a "confirmatory referendum" to a general election. A GE is about more than a single issue so the waters are going to be muddied; and are we likely to emerge in January with a similar-ish and still indecisive Parliament? I'm not sure I could put Farage's single-issue party into wider power even if I agreed with their Brexit stance.

I think a confirmatory referendum would still be close, and then there's the question of whether to address the criticisms of the first one, i.e. should have had a minimum turnout [65%?], a greater than [60%?] majority to pass, and how to phrase the question?

Three years of the media battering Leavers might have suppressed the Leave vote though. We'd be left only with the consolation of mocking Remainers when the EU is seen to have either sown the seeds of its own destruction or become a tyrannical empire.

Labour are likely to do very badly in the election and the fury in their party supports this. The Tories trying to take their Northern seats, and the Lib Dems trying to take their London seats, while the front bench sit around bashing Jews and White people. It's not looking good for Labour at all.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt Bercow on his bike this Thursday? An amendment should be brought to change the law on an election so that if the turnout is less than 75% then the parties should change their manifestos and have another until the voters either care or believe democracy will prevail. After the election if the winning party doesnt carry out its manifesto pledges within a set period another election takes place and this carries on until these betrayers of democracy, that people died to preserve, get the message that we wont stand it anymore.
Of course this wont happen. I'm never voting again, spoiling a ballot paper on principal or anything, it just isnt worth the effort of going to the polling station.
True democracy is dead. roll on the revolution.

OGR

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 29 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
I'm never voting again, spoiling a ballot paper on principal or anything, it just isnt worth the effort of going to the polling station.

Sadly I've heard other Leavers say the same thing, understandably. Remainers would crow over their "democratic" win when in fact they'd simply succeeded in suppressing democracy.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:04 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Remainers would crow over their "democratic" win when in fact they'd simply succeeded in suppressing democracy.

Not this one. I'm more grown-up than that.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Isnt Bercow on his bike this Thursday?

Apparently so, but why let mere facts get in the way, when there's the opportunity to express some, faux, outrage on the internet!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is Farage and his party in all of this? Will he be putting people forward or is it too late to get them together?

I think Boris will win over Corbyn.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 177 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3