Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

possible december 2019 election

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:
Where is Farage and his party in all of this? Will he be putting people forward or is it too late to get them together?

I think Boris will win over Corbyn.

They’ve actually got 630 candidates, so will be fighting most seats.

Quote:
The Telegraph report said the Brexit Party was considering standing down hundreds of candidates in order not to split the Leave vote, with the aim of helping the Conservatives win a majority of seats in 12 December's election.
Instead, the new pro-Brexit party would focus on a small number of Labour-held seats which voted Leave in the 2016 election, where it had a greater chance of winning than the Tories.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50255260
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... a Remainer ex-Tory defection to the Lib-Dems:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50257912

What do we pay our licence fee for? Not for journalism apparently as there's no mention of the Eddisbury referendum result. Oh, in case you're wondering:

https://democraticdashboard.com/constituency/eddisbury

So Leave constituency but a Remain MP, safe Tory seat, Lib-Dems polled fuck-all last time around...

https://media.giphy.com/media/HMMJCnJ8LRS8M/giphy.gif

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:32 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Ah, the BBC. There's your mistake.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:40 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Well, if the MSM "refuse to give them any coverage," Thinking we'll just have to believe mpd72's reports.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Well, if the MSM "refuse to give them any coverage," Thinking we'll just have to believe mpd72's reports.

You can always go to LBC, 6pm weekdays, on Youtube also. Or here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLNgS-wbHodu_lsh1k8DzBQ/videos

Get it from the horse's mouth.

Considering if it wasn't for Farage, we wouldn't even have had a referendum in 2016, don't you think MSM is strangely reticent about him? Unless they smell an opportunity to attack him.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:24 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
I An amendment should be brought to change the law on an election so that if the turnout is less than 75% then the parties should change their manifestos and have another until the voters either care or believe democracy will prevail

I'm never voting again, spoiling a ballot paper on principal or anything, it just isnt worth the effort of going to the polling station.

Laughing

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are getting a bit precious about TBP. All I'm saying is they're a single-issue group fair enough, so they'd be daft if they're not considering how best to avoid splitting the vote and letting Labour in.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
People are getting a bit precious about TBP. All I'm saying is they're a single-issue group fair enough, so they'd be daft if they're not considering how best to avoid splitting the vote and letting Labour in.

I see their problem as one of principle. The Brexit Party represents those who want us to leave with no deal. The Tories it appears now represent those who want a deal. The Brexit Party claim that the majority of those who voted in the referendum did so in the full and clear understanding that they were voting for an exit without a deal, so can't help the Tories back into power because that would be selling the electorate out.

Unless the Brexit Party concedes that some who voted to leave actually want to do so with a deal, then I cannot see how the two can work together. Conceding this however will explode the myth that all who voted to leave knew exactly what they were voting for, so it is a Catch 22 situation for Nigel as he tries to work out what to do.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:25 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

I see their problem as one of principle. The Brexit Party represents those who want us to leave with no deal. The Tories it appears now represent those who want a deal. The Brexit Party claim that the majority of those who voted in the referendum did so in the full and clear understanding that they were voting for an exit without a deal, so can't help the Tories back into power because that would be selling the electorate out.

Unless the Brexit Party concedes that some who voted to leave actually want to do so with a deal, then I cannot see how the two can work together. Conceding this however will explode the myth that all who voted to leave knew exactly what they were voting for, so it is a Catch 22 situation for Nigel as he tries to work out what to do.

I'm with Jimbo. I voted expecting a clean break followed by a renegotiation but I will be voting conservative because only a conservative majority presents any realistic prospect of us ACTUALLY leaving the EU.

The BJ deal is only a transitional arrangement anyway. The fight to see what the final relationship will look like can happen afterwards. Again, in this instance BJ has shown he is prepared to play hardball with the EU. Having a majority government would clear the way for him to turn the screw on a final agreement without being stymied by reds at every opportunity.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:10 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brexiteer are generally better at working together than the remainers are. Remain groups are all proposing working together but this would mostly mean the Lib Dems stepping aside for Labour or everyone stepping aside for a Lib Dem, for little or nothing in return. It works in a by-election but in a GE such a plan just means the end of your party identity.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If any party 'step aside' for another it means they are acknowledging that this GE is a one issue vote and only TBP and the Libdems are in a position to do that as they really have very little to lose.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:58 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

The BJ "deal" is the same EU scripted stitch up which they got May to pedal as her own. If anything, it's even worse other than the backstop, with clauses about us not being allowed to negotiate better deals than the EU already have with RoW countries. (The "level playing field" clause, the EU added when the backstop got removed).

It is not leaving the EU in any way, shape or form, which most people are already aware of, but are forgiving thinking it's only temporary.
It's not. The EU, if they choose not to agree a future relationship with us, can still tie us in as a vassal state cash cow, under their control for as long as they see fit and with no say in matters, including how much we must pay them. It's the second worst deal in history and the EU are hoping we're so fed up with the heel dragging, that we'll blindly walk into it.

People really need to wake up to the propaganda over this deal and Boris's idea of "leave".

I was under the impression that the withdrawal deal would last until December 2020? And that the Irish backstop was the sticking point because it would have tied us into EU regulations if another deal couldn't be reached, something which has now effectively been removed for Great Britain.

The relationship beyond that date is subject to further negotiation.

Am I wrong there? How?

In any case, The only way we're coming out is with a conservative majority. Brexit party will only split the Brexit vote in that respect. They don't have a realistic chance of winning any/any significant number of seats. The best they can hope for in terms of coming out of the EU is to split the red vote and hope they can do a deal on influence in a majority tory government in return for not standing against them.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:22 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think TBP have a chance of returning any sitting MPs then?

I don't.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:09 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTIgsR4FFBU

If you don't watch it, don't then complain you don't know what the Brexit Party are about.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:25 - 01 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The striking thing for me, which I agree wholeheartedly with, is that the Boris treaty IS NOT BREXIT. So there will be no splitting of the Brexit vote. If you vote for the treaty, you will have renounced Brexit. The EU have made it quite clear they don't want to lose us. This, and the rhetoric they spout should be enough to tell you what things will be like under that treaty. They will be firmly in control of all future 'negotiations'.

Further, we have seen the incompetence and dishonesty of the main parties. With that as the background, I'm willing to give TBP my backing. They'd have to be incredibly, astoundingly, unimaginably useless to do any worse. The risks of not supporting them are far, far worse in my estimation.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3