Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Has anyone got TPO insurance for an expensive bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:16 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Has anyone got TPO insurance for an expensive bike? Reply with quote

I live in Brixton and don't have a garage. Even with 3 years NCD, clean licence and being an old git who's ridden big bikes for 20+ years, the only way I can get cover for an 18 grand megasupersports thing is to pretend I have a garage and then ask for TPO. There seem to be a few insurers who will go for that. The usual suspects - MCE, Devitt etc - will cover me for nothing fancier than a group 14 bike, e.g. a new 18 grand R1250GS, and only for fully comp, which costs £2100+. They won't do TPFT or TPO. I don't understand their logic. Anyway, if I bought their cover I doubt I could ever claim without making myself uninsurable in the future. So it seems to me I need to self-insure. Pretend to have a garage, get the cheapest possible TPO cover and invest in a tracker and alarm and a couple of sold secure diamond chains. And sleep with my phone next to my head, and my emergency thief-bothering kit next to the bed - bodyworn camera, baseball bat, spray dye etc. A friend of mine has TPO cover on his Blade - that's all he could get. It's been stolen 3 times but he always gets it back because it has a tracker.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:36 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move. Sounds like you live in a jungle.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sell the bike and live a life without stress.

Fuck the sounds of London. Fuck getting beat up for a bike (their hardly going to turn up with flowers and a card).

Or move.

London? TPO? No way. In a city where crime is so high because there's nothing to chain the things to (not the only reason, but it doesn't help) I wouldn't even take the chance.

You could track your bike all the way to the local park and cry over the burnt frame (putting the logic that the tracker would be burnt/damaged too aside for a moment) but I'd rather save the time and money.

Although I suppose with the heavy traffic having a bike becomes an evil necessity, interesting.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:05 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few of the local lads have an R1 or S1000RR. It's all 'look at me' riding with lots of rev bombing. I don't see how they can possibly have insurance. And if they won't ride insured, do they buy the bikes? Do they have a licence? Plod does nothing about this. There are a few traffic officers in cars, but none on bikes. And they're all busy with more serious offences. London's the Wild West.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:12 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my company, those that live and work in the London office often will use an address of a relative that live outside London as their address on the V5 and insurance.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:45 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Sell the bike and live a life without stress.

Fuck the sounds of London. Fuck getting beat up for a bike (their hardly going to turn up with flowers and a card).

Or move.

London? TPO? No way. In a city where crime is so high because there's nothing to chain the things to (not the only reason, but it doesn't help) I wouldn't even take the chance.

You could track your bike all the way to the local park and cry over the burnt frame (putting the logic that the tracker would be burnt/damaged too aside for a moment) but I'd rather save the time and money.

Although I suppose with the heavy traffic having a bike becomes an evil necessity, interesting.

Well I'm not leaving London. I'd be bored to death anywhere else. And a bike is essential for full enjoyment of London in my opinion. Insurance for my current bike, a K1100RS, is manageable. So I can be grateful for that. I love the bike, no complaints at all. It has less than 3000 miles on it - a proper barn-find time-warp stunner. But I can't help being curious about all these modern things with 200 bhp and electronic everything. I'm going to spend the winter test-riding them. Hopefully they'll turn out to be no more rewarding than my K series....but you never know.

AIUI, megabikes with the best security don't get stolen by joyriding kids who burn them in parks. They get stolen by professional thieves, for profit. Knowing that Plod may be following a tracker, they transport the bike a short distance, park it up for a couple of days and wait to see if Plod comes for it. So you often get it back, undamaged. Mine would be chained to something, with a pair of 22mm chains. They take a long time to cut.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:49 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
In my company, those that live and work in the London office often will use an address of a relative that live outside London as their address on the V5 and insurance.

What happens when they claim? Does the insurance company ask for proof that they live there?

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question you’ll be asked is something like “where will the bike be kept overnight?”. If you tell them it’ll be chained to a bear in a vault in Fort Knox but it’s really parked on the High Street with the key in it you are lying to gain a financial advantage.... fraud. Get caught and then see how tough it is to get insurance... for anything.

Of course this all depends on getting caught. Risks and consequences. It seems stupid that your address and parking arrangements affect a TPO policy, but there’s no point trying to understand insurance.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

Maybe not a 200bhp one though! Seems pointless in London.
Undinist wrote:
Well I'm not leaving London. I'd be bored to death anywhere else.

Doh!Rolling Eyes Laughing
Undinist wrote:
Does the insurance company ask for proof that they live there?

When my first ZX6R was nicked from North London the insurer sent an assessor to my door. That was a long time ago though. Three other bikes were stolen locally on the same night; likely a van full.

Someone told me never have anything nice there, someone will always want to take it. I no longer live in London. Dance! My parting observation was of so many flash cars outside shitty houses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:13 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe insurers are still responsible for any carnage caused by your bike even if you have been relieved of it and it has been borrowed by a promising young footballer to take his mothers shopping home on the way back from the music studio where he has been studying a dj course,if said misunderstood yoof sadly cannot be traced, hence the reluctance for TPO.

And in your area, there are many promising footballers frequenting many (although never enough) yoofclubs.

undinist wrote:
AIUI, megabikes with the best security don't get stolen by joyriding kids who burn them in parks. They get stolen by professional thieves, for profit. Knowing that Plod may be following a tracker, they transport the bike a short distance, park it up for a couple of days and wait to see if Plod comes for it. So you often get it back, undamaged. Mine would be chained to something, with a pair of 22mm chains. They take a long time to cut.

YABU. They will nick whatever they can get a hold of. As shit as it is that you cant have nice things , realpolitik suggests you should find a mate with a garage in the surrey hills / downs, "keep" your weekend thrasher there and go down to visit it when the sun comes out, and have a 300ish for bumping around town with
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of tpo you up the voluntary excess to cover the bikes value.
So long as you don't ram someone up the arse then the high excess won't matter.

If it gets nicked you'll be the same as if you were tpo.
Fuck London, sounds proper shite.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:53 - 30 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't help when you can't get a quote for anything except TPO.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my S1000R (£7.5k so not mega-expensive but not pleasant to lose) insured fully comprehensive in Enfield, in a garage, 7 years NCD and 6 points, 5k miles per year, for for £850 with Bikesure.

Would be only 400 TPO with MCE, as low as 275 TPO if I had 0 points, but they caught me doing 25mph past a newly 20mph camera twice in one week before I noticed they'd changed their thresholds.

Would be £690 FC with 0 points.

When I tried to switch my Brutale insurance (to get more NCD faster, not that it would make a huge difference) they wanted £2500. Ironically, it was Bikesure (branded as MAG Insurance) that insured the Brutale and wanted the big numbers, but they could do much better on a brand new quote as Bikesure (branded as BMF Insurance).

A garage was a requirement when we were looking for a house to buy, partly because of the insurance angle.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty horrendous, but has been said falsifying details for insurance is a risky game; if you lose you'll probably never get insurance for a bike in London again.

I don't want to sound patronising, but isn't this simply a case of being realistic for the environment and not getting anything that's a thief magnet?

That's without the mental games - what happens if you go on holiday? How easily will you relax knowing your bike is sat on show for a week, two weeks etc. and "isn't really insured"? It'd drive me potty I think.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

London is a cess pit of scum. My o/h has his CB500x nicked from outside Morrisons. Was only in there 5mins, but thats all it takes to lift such a ligth bike.

I propose we implement a "The Purge" style event. Give all the aspiring little 'man dems brap brap' a kinfe and let them finish each other off.

I am desperate to move far away from London!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't have a nice/expensive bike without fully comp insurance.

It would only be viable if I was rich enough to take that sort of financial hit with wincing!

Thankfully I now have no need to even look at London on a map, let alone go there, Dance!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

With prices like that I'd be thinking of finding a friend or family member with some room in their garage. Store and insure the bike at that address (to wheel out on Sundays or whatever) and spend of the rest of the week on a old rat bike.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
a K1100RS, is manageable. So I can be grateful for that. I love the bike, no complaints at all. It has less than 3000 miles on it - a proper barn-find time-warp stunner.

ULEZ casualty, eh.

If London's all that, where are the open roads, hills, valleys, low crime rates, nice, polite people, tree-lined neighbourhoods? In Brixton you've got your pot and your psychedelic music, where the trust fund kids and the street kids mix, but don't they do that everywhere? Living in a place like that, it just seems to be a countdown to someone caving your head in on the way to the shops for the tenner in your pocket.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:49 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sidebar to this thread:

Why do people like living in London? I work there and commute in from Basingstoke, which is hardly a hub of action and excitement, but it's still a million times better than living in the expense, filth and traffic of old Lahndah tahn.

The absolute only way I'd have property in London was if I was rich enough to have a small flat to stay there during the week if I needed to be there to earn my spectacular salary that would require, if I were a BBC TV star for example (although they are all based in Manchester now!).

Nope. Can't see the appeal to be honest.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:58 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
ULEZ casualty, eh.

If London's all that, where are the open roads, hills, valleys, low crime rates, nice, polite people, tree-lined neighbourhoods? In Brixton you've got your pot and your psychedelic music, where the trust fund kids and the street kids mix, but don't they do that everywhere? Living in a place like that, it just seems to be a countdown to someone caving your head in on the way to the shops for the tenner in your pocket.

I'm told that if I got a certificate of conformity the bike would be exempt. I could also get it exempted with an emissions test, and I'd make doubly sure of a pass with a dose of Millers Ecomax.

As for open roads, central London has lots of brilliant biking roads. I really ought to put a video on youtube. I often go out for a play and stop for a coffee somewhere interesting. You can't beat London for the people-watching and the women. With a bike, all the things which make London the cultural/fashion capital of the world are on my doorstep. No worries about parking tickets or speed/bus lane/ULEZ cameras if you're creative with your number plate. That's the upside of the extinction of the Met's traffic police.

As for crime in Brixton, nearly all of it is kids stabbing each other. The rest of the population are safe. I haven't had a single scary moment in 15 years. Muggings are virtually unknown, and they always happen to someone going home drunk at 2am on an unlit side street.

MarJay wrote:
I commute in from Basingstoke, which is hardly a hub of action and excitement
I know Boringpoke well. I spent plenty of time there as a cog in the corporate machine. If I had to spend just one more night there I'd be on suicide watch.

Last edited by Undinist on 17:02 - 31 Oct 2019; edited 2 times in total
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:27 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't know how to interpret those stats because you have no knowledge of Brixton. Those theft numbers include kids nicking each other's phones. Doesn't affect me. I've tried life outside London. Grew up in Kent and Sussex, moved back to Sussex after a spell in London to enjoy the rural idyll - bored to tears. Also spent 6 years in Manchester. Boring people everywhere. Boring shops. Boring cafes. No women to look at. All the really attractive women in the UK move to London. So do all the intelligent, interesting people. The UK is completely Londoncentric.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:39 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
rent secure parking somewhere near?

I'm always on the hunt for it. Garages are very, very rare. The going rate is £1500 p.a. minimum. There are none near me. There are little bits of secure yard here and there, big enough for a bike. People don't advertise them. I used to have access to one for free - I helped the owner with something, he returned the favour, and my last bike lived in his yard. But he's moved away.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 31 Oct 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
You don't know how to interpret those stats because you have no knowledge of Brixton. Those theft numbers include kids nicking each other's phones. Doesn't affect me. I've tried life outside London. Grew up in Kent and Sussex, moved back to Sussex after a spell in London to enjoy the rural idyll - bored to tears. Also spent 6 years in Manchester. Boring people everywhere. Boring shops. Boring cafes. No women to look at. All the really attractive women in the UK move to London. So do all the intelligent, interesting people. The UK is completely Londoncentric.

I'd recommend you give up motorcycles, as London is a boring place to ride them anyway Wink
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3