Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New rider - rear brake

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Prottecttor
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 14:53 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: New rider - rear brake Reply with quote

Hey all !

Im a fairly new rider, done around ~1000km so im still a big newbie and learning. I had a situation on a bike with really bad tires ( i probably should not even sit on that motorcycle back then ) where any decent breaking with rear brake ended up in locking the wheel. It scared me couple of times , happily never went down but the fear is still there.
Now i am riding my NSR 125, good brand new tires, new break pads, brake discs in nearly perfect condition. The thing is i have a phobia and im scared AF to brake with rear. I've done around 400 km on this bike without using the rear brake like EVER. I have never felt any need to brake with rear however i think this might be mistake. This will probably lead to me doing mistakes on bigger bike in the future by not using the rear at all. So please tell me how should i overcome this stupid fear and when to use rear brake and use it good.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:12 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll use the rear in conjunction with the front for slowing down at higher speeds but I don't use the it around town.
Don't stamp on it, be smooth.
Keep in mind that it's only the front brake assist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I use rear brake when I am not teaching is.... oh wait I dont.

For a novice rider the rear brake at anything below 10mph or for slow control. Anything faster just for slowing down in a hurry as an extra brake along with the front.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:28 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the rear brake every time I come to a stop. I never halt on the front brake because even the slightest bit of grit, oil or fuel can have you over if the front tyre goes. As it happens, none of my bikes have particularly sharp "one finger" front brakes but I still don't stop on it.

As for slowing down, I often go 75-25 or 80-20 front and back - especially on the KLX and the CB500. Also, the front 6 pots on the zx9r are so shit that they probably always need a bit of help from the back brake.

As for fearing the back, I've got more fear of the front. I can recover a rear wheel skid so much easier than the front going.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear brake is for slow speed manoeuvring control, anything else apply the vast majority of braking effort to the front brake and just a little to the back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 22:58 - 03 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Infinite improbability drive now reduced to idle, infinite improbability returned to 0%, 'normality' has been resumed... therefore anything you cant deal with, is your own problem. Thank-You" (To parat-phrase Douglas Adams, but still) How YOU get over a phobia, whether its not using the back-brake of a motorbike, or evict a spider from the bath tub.. (guilty!) is your look out. What 'other' people may do is theirs... and no guarantee what works for them will work for you!

The 'Approved' advice you should have got on the topic on CBT, is to always use both brakes; in the dry, 75/25 braking effort, note EFFORT, the braking effect, not lever travel or finger/foot force, from front/back. In the wet that should shift to about 50/50% 'effort' from each brake, ALWAYS the front applied slightly before the back. THAT is the general, base line 'advice' B-U-T its your arse in the saddle Kimo-Saboi, no-one elces, and what works for them wont necessarily work for you, in any, let alone all circumstances, on any bike.

On a bigger heavier bike, you will tend to use more rear brake, because the weight means that its not so prone to lift the tail, and a wheel on the deck can 'effect' braking, one in the air cant.. hence short, light, front end weighted 'Sports bikes' will tend to lift the tail a lot more and a lot sooner and the back-brake wont be doing a heck of a lot... as long as the front tyres grip and the rider stays in balance... you have been warned!

'Sports-Bike' vogue for the last 1/4 century then has promoted the 'idea' you don't need or even shouldn't use the back brake... which is a bit of crap to my mind. IF on the public highway, you are getting the tail in the air regularly... you are probably an accident looking for a place to happen!!! Biking is hazardous enough and bikes, are balanced precariously enough, before you start, to be pushing your luck with track-tricks like that!! And it don't take a lot to over cook it, or for a tyre to loose grip on crap council tarmac, spilled diesel or whatever....

ALWAYS USE BOTH BRAKES TOGETHER, front 'slightly' before back, and modulate lever/pedal pressure for 'best' effect!.

Remember the 75/25 Dry, 40/50 wet, 'Rule' is merely a guideline.... we have no idea how heavy you are, how tall you are, how far forward you sit, how good your tyres are or how crap the surface you are riding on, SO it is something you have to work out for yourself... with practice, which is what CBT and L's is supposed to be for, not to let you wobble around as if you were a qualified rider, without taking the tests, for ever and a day!

How you get round mind fart, stage fright of not using the back brake at all, is an open question. There's an old theatre thing, to get over stage-fright, of telling a new actor to remember every-one in the audience still has to wipe their arse after they have done a crap, and to imagine them all naked.. presumably with bits of tissue hanging from their botties, but I cant think of anything similar for a phobia over using the back brake, other than to just shout at you and say "USE BOTH EFFIN BRAKES!"

That is what the book says, that is what an examiner will expect to see.. and note brake lamp switch usually (on older bikes only!) on the back brake, and as likely to be out of adjustment on the front, the examiner will be looking at the brake light to spot what you are up to as much as hands/feet... but with a body in the way, they will, if they are watching any-thing, be looking for that right boot to move when you slow, to show you is using it..... test tip for you... yes tests, remember them, they are not something to be put off until you are old enough to doe DAS... so using CBT + L's as intended, to let you go practice before tests, not pretend for however long its the be all and end all, USE THE BACK BRAKE!!! get in the habit, and get into it now, when you are a Learner, learning how to ride!

But there are two issues here; 1/ correct braking, which as I say means actually using both of them, and 2/ your own phobia over using the bake brake, which is something you just have to get over with mind-tricks, drilling it into your psyche, until it's habit.

Last edited by Teflon-Mike on 08:34 - 04 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:06 - 04 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spelt else wrong tef.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:22 - 04 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://content.internetretailing.net/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/037/Fotolia_158665720_Subscription_Monthly_M_Main.jpg

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this analogy...

If you want to cut your speed the back brake is a scalpel and the front a machete Smile To cut a lot you wouldn't just use a scalpel and to cut a little you wouldn't use a machete Very Happy
redeem ouzzer This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:48 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Back brake is there to placate the MOT inspector, nothing more.

MotoGP bikes have rear brakes, don't they? I'm fairly certain they wouldn't have anything considered unnecessary.
I wouldn't be without it. Low speed control, loose surfaces and wet surfaces are the main uses for me, although occasionally it'll get a dab during fast riding, although I can't quite think of the situation when I'd do that. Sure it has a use in cornering somewhere, but... Thinking

The general point to take is that most of your braking should be done with the front.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:07 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Forced wrote:
Back brake is there to placate the MOT inspector, nothing more.

MotoGP bikes have rear brakes, don't they?

Like the MOT man, though, that 'could' just be to placate the scrutineers, meet requirements of 'standing' FIM regulations. OTMH the regs demand a brake 'on' each wheel. Some years ago this was brought into question; was that an actual brake mechanism attached to the wheel, or a brake mechanism 'acting' on that wheel?

Pertinence is, that if you shift the brake from the wheel to the out-put shaft, it still has 'effect' on the back wheel, but, you move the weight of the disc and caliper from being 'unsprung' weight on the swing-arm to be 'sprung' weight on the main body of the bike. Whilst this doesn't necessarily save any weight, it does much more significantly favour the sprung/unsprung mass ratio and give the suspension an easier time. There's also some benefits from braking the output shaft, turning around 3x faster than the wheel; power is force x speed, so turning 3x faster, the higher rotor speed means, you need 1/3 the brake force to get the same power dissipation. Means you can use a smaller rotor and that generates less torque, so all win, them forces contained before the suspension.. it just gets a tad hot.... but of the back wheel is going to be in the air, or nearly in the air when the brake is applied anyway.... it's small potatoes.

There have been a few race bikes that have had such 'inboard' rear brakes, over the years. I remember one at the '98 TT causing controversy, and ultimately being granted an ACU dispensation to let it run... subject to that dispensation being withdrawn, if any-one put in a complaint, or if it won!

There was actually a similar 'Concept' front brake, about sometime in the '80's, that used an epicyclic hub, to crank up the rotor-speed and allow smaller lighter disks, ISTR co-incident with the promotion of inside out, and 'rim' discs. OTMH that one was an ACU/FIM 'no-no' from the outset.

Howebler, having mentioned neglecting the back-brake is peculiarly a modern thing, made a-la-mode by sports-bikes; the word from the GP Paddock, back whey back when, was that even the racers use the back brake. They want all the slowing force they can get... so why chuck away that bit extra the back offers? B-U-T suggestion was that they mostly used the back-brake to effect attitude change and settle the tail. There was a lot of mention about swing-arm angles and how the back-brake could pull the swing-arm down, to effect directional control, as much as any speed change... WHICH is all a lot of evidence to support the notion that the race track and race track vogue is a very bad precedent for practice with road bikes....

On the public road, her-majesties finest are convinced that you need both wheels on the deck to be in full control of the vehicle, which has more than small pertinence to Meef'fs wheelie post, BUT, and something well refuted for many decades.... in fact something as cocky 17 year old trials rider I DID refute, with a gaggle of Brummie bike cops, doing the cone slalom of my 'Part 1' (like CBT only older) on the back wheel of a Honda H100, which I also rode with the front (drum) brake locked on, for a lap of the soccer pitch next to the playground, when we were categorically told "You cant steer if the front wheel aint turning!"

Back on the public road.... and trying to appease the man from Del-VOSA... USE THE BACK BRAKE for crissiks! Its there, wheel aught be on the deck, it's CAN be used and it can slow you down... why not? It cant hurt, might help! And frequently does!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One area where cruisers differ from "real" bikes Wink You can give the back brake a proper stamp! I only managed to lock up the back wheel once on the Keeway, wouldn't fancy doing it again Shocked Actually the Keeway wasn't too bad - the CBS meant a pot on the front was also firing - so I used the back brake a fair bit.

The Rebel's 100% faux-cruiser so I hardly use the back brake at all now. I suppose it depends how bitey your front is Thinking Recalling the dual rotors on the MT07 you really didn't want to use the front much, certainly not at low speeds.

chris_hu_cheng
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:13 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get an infinite number of replies...

IMHO, on a 125cc especially you should be using rear brake.

Make it your friend, use it to stop you from rolling, left foot down, right foot up when stopped/waiting (see it wants to be your friend really).

Take the advice above about brake lights, check when your brake lights up off the bike, should be just as the rear brake starts to engage so even a light dab lets you send the message "easy tiger" to cars behind even if engine braking will scrub off the speed you need.

Make sure it is adjusted properly (bike dependent) but if there is a lot of travel I find there is more tendency to overcook it.

Practice, you slid and survived, lock the front wheel and prospects are usually much worse. Find somewhere safe and stop from slow speeds in straight line, applying more pressure on rear until it does slide a little, not so bad after all??

If you are doing a u-turn or similar what brake do you use if you need to slow a little? if front then something bad will happen sooner rather than later.

I have overcooked rear brake a couple of times (my own fault) quite alarming when starts to fishtail BUT each time I eased off and corrected and stayed upright.... So I consider the rear brake a good friend. Even on big bikes I use it a little for general slowing down and tend to switch to mostly rear for final stop, slow speed stuff.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:59 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my rear brake all of the time. When coming to a stop I will use both the brakes to bring the bike down to about 10 mph and then use the back brake to bring the bike to a gentle stop. As my bike is quite tall and heavy and I can't get both feet flat, I find it easier to bring it to a controlled stop without the front forks being loaded and compressed, especially in the wet or on an uneven surface and even more so with a pillion.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear brake only makes sense on motorcycles, where you put some weight above the rear wheel. Otherwise you're going to just lock the brake instead of actually slowing the machine down. This applies especially to sports motorcycles.

On naked ''classic'' bikes, I use both brakes, because I sit above the rear wheel (closer to it) and put some weight there.

From my own recollection, GPz = both brakes (all 3 brake discs had the same diameter and caliper), CB-1 = rarely both brakes, ZX7R = front brake only, MZ = both brakes, XBR = both brakes

As you can see, the only motorcycle where I have never bothered even using the rear brake was a ''Superbike''. Not that I would not try, it just locked the rear wheel, even on dry tarmac under heavy braking. Instant rear wheel lock system.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:36 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Rear brake only makes sense on motorcycles, where you put some weight above the rear wheel. Otherwise you're going to just lock the brake instead of actually slowing the machine down. This applies especially to sports motorcycles.

On naked ''classic'' bikes, I use both brakes, because I sit above the rear wheel (closer to it) and put some weight there.

From my own recollection, GPz = both brakes (all 3 brake discs had the same diameter and caliper), CB-1 = rarely both brakes, ZX7R = front brake only, MZ = both brakes, XBR = both brakes

As you can see, the only motorcycle where I have never bothered even using the rear brake was a ''Superbike''. Not that I would not try, it just locked the rear wheel, even on dry tarmac under heavy braking. Instant rear wheel lock system.

So why do MotoGP bikes have rear brakes then? Facts, not speculation please Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 21:27 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
So why do MotoGP bikes have rear brakes then? Facts, not speculation please Smile

AUTO CYCLE UNION HANDBOOK 2019 wrote:
SECTION 15 SOLO SPECIFICATIONS - 15.8 BRAKES
Motorcycles must be equipped with one efficient brake operating on each wheel and operated independently and concentrically with the wheel.

There you go, short answer "'Cos the Rules Say so!" Like the MOT for a road-bike.

Whether they use it, whether they use it for slowing down, are merely associated issues. Rules say it gotta be there, at scrutineering, little more or less.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly use mine - there's a good explanation for why here:
https://www.therideadvice.com/the-motorcycle-back-brake-is-there-for-a-reason-use-it/
https://youtu.be/jDGvzy038Eo

chickenstrip wrote:
why do MotoGP bikes have rear brakes then?

MotorSport Magazine wrote:
Most of us would crash if we used the rear brake in the middle of a corner, but the brake is an essential cornering tool for most top racers, who use it in many ways that everyday motorcyclists don’t.
[...]
Ducati riders use the rear brake all the way through a corner, during the braking, turning and acceleration phases, totalling more than two-thirds of each lap. And Lorenzo was using the brake so hard in Qatar that his GP18’s rear disc glowed in the dark

See https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/motogp/ducatis-cornering-tool-press-turn

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a feeling it wasn't for nothing.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:03 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my rear brake all the time. By the same token, you'll never find me lying in the road having grabbed a handful of front brake whilst traversing gravel whilst tryng to get to the front of the line of traffic .

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

To add a bit more to that, Kevin Schwantz famously never used his rear brake, saying he found the rear brake too distracting. If I remember correctly, he did win the '93 GP500 world championship, so I'd say if Kevin says you don't have to, then you don't have to. Thinking

Sure, there might be benefits to it, if done right, as said by Freddyfruitbat, but at the same time riders like Valentino Rossi also never used the rear brake and knows a thing or two about riding a race motorcycle.

#''pub talk''

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 22:37 - 05 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:36 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

To add a bit more to that, Kevin Schwantz famously never used his rear brake, saying he found the rear brake too distracting. If I remember correctly, he did win the '93 GP500 world championship, so I'd say if Kevin says you don't have to, then you don't have to. Thinking

Sure, there might be benefits to it, if done right, as said by Freddyfruitbat, but at the same time riders like Valentino Rossi also never used his rear brake and knows a thing or two about riding a race motorcycle.

#''pub talk''

You don't tend to find gravel at the optimum place to get to the front at the traffic lights in motoGP and it's predecessors.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
You don't tend to find gravel at the optimum place to get to the front at the traffic lights in motoGP and it's predecessors.

Even on gravel (ZX7R) I would use the front brake only. I have never lost the front end. I did lock the rear wheel several times trying to use the rear brake, when I got the bike, but that's about that. The rear brake was so effective it felt like an on/off switch.

Also, do you live in a rural area that you expect gravel everywhere? Or your road maintenance people just don't care? The only time you find gravel on the roads in Czech rep. is during the winter, then shortly in the spring, after that they clean the roads and some cities even vacuum the gravel so they may use it next winter again.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:00 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Even on gravel (ZX7R) I would use the front brake only.

Thats because you are a twat. Locking the rear is incredibly controllable and the front is an instant bin unless you have superhuman reflexes and can release the brake instantly.

I've been saved on ice in the past because I've chosen to use the rear rather than the front.

Last edited by Nobby the Bastard on 23:02 - 05 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2