Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Exhaust options

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which would you prefer on your own bike?
Short can baffle in
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Long can baffle out
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 14

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 23:45 - 04 Nov 2019    Post subject: Exhaust options Reply with quote

Picking up my new bike in a couple of weeks and already planning the first mod which will most probably be the exhaust.

Currently have a VERY short can on my FZS600 (200mm):
https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/ekmps/shops/sandybikespares/images/200mm-Round-Stainless-Slip-On-Silencer-5630-p[ekm]226x151[ekm].jpg
which is very loud and very raspy. Not to everyone's taste. Personally I like the sound, especially with the baffle out I'm convinced it helps with filtering, but yeah it's definitely antisocial and way OTT so I keep the baffle in most of the time as I live in a quiet village. Also not overly keen on how it looks being that short and also not a fan of the look of the wide open exit (looks like a gaping sphincter). I prefer the smaller pokey-out-bits at the back as seen below.

Just interested to view opinions from the wider community. If I were to get another short can I'd probably be looking to keep the baffle in most of the time as I do on my current bike. Or if I went with a long can would probably be baffle out most of the time. And as a personal preference I just love the look of a long stainless can with the pokey-out-bit at the end like this:
https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/ekmps/shops/sandybikespares/images/400mm-Round-Stainless-Slip-On-Silencer-11585-p[ekm]226x151[ekm].jpg
As opposed to shorter cans, carbon cans and what I call snub-nose cans where the end piece where the gases exit is kinda rounded off, this epitomises everything I dislike aesthetically in a can:
https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/ekmps/shops/sandybikespares/images/200mm-Oval-Full-Carbon-Slip-On-Silencer-5674-p[ekm]226x151[ekm].jpg
Even though the plain stainless ones tend to be cheaper I prefer the look. Only reason I went for a short can last time is I knew it would be louder but there's loud and there's LOUD. I don't think any bike needs to be as loud as this one is with the baffle out so yeah basically thinking short can baffle in or long can which I prefer the look of and baffle out.

Also I read somewhere (Black Widow website) 300mm plus is road-legal and anything under that is not road-legal. Not sure if that applies generally or whether that's specific to their own cans??? Either way probably wouldn't get a Black Widow can again. I might use them for the 4-1 decat pipes but probably get a Yoshimura can:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/product_images/yoshimura_tri-oval_so-ss-ss-ss.jpg

Doing a poll and inviting general exhaust talk with your preferences and pics etc.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon silencers if well made with a thick sleeve should be quieter than a stainless steel silencer as it generally resonates less than stainless steel or Alloy. Its also likely to have a deeper pitch tone which may or may not be more acceptable or desirable.

Either way you want a really long straight through silencer well wrapped in absorbstion material and no baffle or dB killer bodge. That's going to be be the best sound, and totally unrestrictive so best for performance too which should always be far higher on the list of reasons to change your exhaust than sound. Shorty cans look and sound shit with a horrible raspy sound. If you like your bike enough to change the exhaust then get a high end long race silencer that doesn't come with any silly baffle insert.

I personally wouldn't buy any exhaust that comes with a removable baffle insert as the manufacturer cannot be very serious about performance and will usually know that fitting the afterthought insert will often reduce performance below the OEM silencer too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""Picking up my new bike """"
New, brandnew, fresh bike, what bike??????????

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:24 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on... I thought the first mod was going to be the headlights?!

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 04:51 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Hang on... I thought the first mod was going to be the headlights?!

https://img.memecdn.com/you-got-me_o_1891513.webp

On second thoughts I think the headlights can probably wait until after the exhaust. Exhaust definitely most important!!! Actually these and air filter and remap are probably the only mods I will make.

Did you vote you crafty devil?

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:48 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is there no voting option for “leaving it standard rather than honking its guts out of a silly loud can for zero bhp advantage” ?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave as is and ride.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 09:24 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shall we have the loud pipes do/don't save lives debate?

Either way truth is I think it looks and sounds cool and it's nice to be noticed (both for safety and vanity reasons, let's face it the main purpose of most bikes and the main reason we buy them is to be a posing tool! Every other function is just a bonus). But there is definitely a limit on how loud a bike should be. If I'm honest theres probably no place on the streets for a bike as loud as mine is with its baffle out.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:29 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You still haven't said what the new bike is going to be. What bike would have some bearing on what type of can I would go for.

I have a carbon Scorpion on mine (Fazer 1000), which works well with the carb and airbox mods I've had done. I'd prefer the can to be an inch or two shorter, but mainly I'd like a shorter link pipe. But that's just a cosmetic thing.

I run the can without the baffle, always passes the MOT, just sounds nice without being obnoxious.

The can on my Street Triple was loud, and at times I loved it. But it was a bit of an embarrassment turning up at previously peaceful spots in the Lake District Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 09:58 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2014 FZ1 Fazer.

I hear what you're saying about the embarrassment thing, same thing happened to me in Exmoor the other week. Pulled up at a viewing point and everyone was staring at me. And I'm not sure they were necessarily thinking "wow look at that biker chick isn't she cool" I think probably "twat" was more at the forefront of their vocabulary choice. I did have the baffle out though and like I said, with this 200mm can with the baffle out no bike needs to be this loud in my opinion, theres probably no place for it on our roads.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:14 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings me to the kind of use the bike will be getting. For touring, loud cans are a definite no-no - fatigue!

Countryside use, again, I wouldn't want too loud. Not like you need to be noticed among all the other traffic, pedestrians, cyclists etc, and I find it questionable if they really work for that anyway, unless it's stupid loud.

Hooligan bike - de rigueur! Which is how I saw the Striple.

At the end of the day, I couldn't live with a really loud can all the time.

My FZS1000 had a tri-oval can on it when I first bought the bike, but I didn't feel it suited it - again, just talking cosmetically here. The FZ1 is a more angular-looking bike, so that might suit it more. Finish again depends on how the bike looks otherwise. I'm generally not a fan of that look though.

All personal choice though.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 11:44 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Which brings me to the kind of use the bike will be getting. For touring, loud cans are a definite no-no - fatigue!

Countryside use, again, I wouldn't want too loud. Not like you need to be noticed among all the other traffic, pedestrians, cyclists etc, and I find it questionable if they really work for that anyway, unless it's stupid loud.

Hooligan bike - de rigueur! Which is how I saw the Striple.

At the end of the day, I couldn't live with a really loud can all the time.

My FZS1000 had a tri-oval can on it when I first bought the bike, but I didn't feel it suited it - again, just talking cosmetically here. The FZ1 is a more angular-looking bike, so that might suit it more. Finish again depends on how the bike looks otherwise. I'm generally not a fan of that look though.

All personal choice though.

Good point. The main purpose of my bike is for evening and weekend fun. Wouldn't go far maybe a couple of hours round trip max. But I will be touring to France and Spain at least once, maybe twice a year which now I think about it is a strong nod towards getting a long sensible can that I can remove the baffle for town and country riding but pop back in once or twice a year when I tour on it as I have toured with my short can with the baffle out and you're right it's quite literally a head-ache! The short can is loud with the baffle in but completely psychotic with it out. I'm hoping a longer can will be normal volume with baffle in and loud (but not psychotic loud) with the baffle out.

I think you've helped me make up my mind Thumbs Up Time to grow up and be sensible and get a long can :-/

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 11:47 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Why is there no voting option for “leaving it standard rather than honking its guts out of a silly loud can for zero bhp advantage” ?

I wouldn't be doing it for BHP advantage anyway. This bike already has 150bhp which is probably 100 more than I actually need. Admittedly if I got the decat pipes and air filter done I probably would get a remap just to make sure it's fuelling correctly and not running too lean, but again it's already at 150bhp do I really need an extra 5bhp that I can't actually use?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZ1 Fazer you say... Google Images is your friend Smile

Well the stock exhaust is pig ugly and doesn't suit the bike (and there's me thinking the stock Rebel exhaust was bad!) so fair enough...

This one looks good (IMHO) but no idea what it sounds like!

https://img-webike-370429.c.cdn77.org/images/mybike/824/13824_8693_L.jpg

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 12:20 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah see just my personal preference but I don't like that. I think a long shiny stainless looks good on any bike but that's just me :-/

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 12:20 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not forgetting the sticky-out-bit at the back!!!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the blue one? Definitely stainless steel looks better.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 12:59 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Is it the blue one? Definitely stainless steel looks better.

Blue and white a bit like the gladius colour scheme.

Same as this:
[img]I just found a great bike on Auto Trader.
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201909152246926?atmobcid=soc3

Download the app to find your perfect bike.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=uk.co.autotrader.androidconsumersearch&referrer=utm_source%3DApp%2520Share[/img]

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:25 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
Shall we have the loud pipes do/don't save lives debate?

Either way truth is I think it looks and sounds cool and it's nice to be noticed (both for safety and vanity reasons, let's face it the main purpose of most bikes and the main reason we buy them is to be a posing tool! Every other function is just a bonus). But there is definitely a limit on how loud a bike should be. If I'm honest theres probably no place on the streets for a bike as loud as mine is with its baffle out.

It's see and be seen = defensive riding, what saves lives. It's definitely not about being an obnoxiously loud cxnt. Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:51 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

It's definitely not about being an obnoxiously loud cxnt. Wink

To me that depends on who I'm annoying Razz

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:32 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
let's face it the main purpose of most bikes and the main reason we buy them is to be a posing tool!

You bought a Fazer. Neutral

I'd just leave it as is, or if you really want something to make it sound/look better, that's your call. I think carbon ones look awesome, hence putting them on my bike, which is used for fucking around on rather than posing Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:47 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuberculosis wrote:
let's face it the main purpose of most bikes and the main reason we buy them is to be a posing tool!

I missed that one. I ride bikes cos I love riding bikes.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:54 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Tuberculosis wrote:

I missed that one. I ride bikes cos I love riding bikes.

I ride motorcycles to protect my family, ... wait a minute. Confused Laughing

TravisBickle
Formerly known as
DUCAUDI

PostPosted: 19:12 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted in error.

Last edited by TravisBickle on 19:19 - 05 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 172 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3