Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is anyone excited by the new S1000XR?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:49 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Is anyone excited by the new S1000XR? Reply with quote

Announced today. Lots of tweaks. No multicam engine. Euro 5 compliance. Confused A new luggage system, apparently incompatible with the current one. Rolling Eyes Wheelie control. Some higher gears.

The Bennetts site has the most detailed write-up
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/news-and-views/news/2019/november/bmw-s1000xr-2020-new-spec

"Owners of BMW’s popular S1000 XR are no doubt wondering if their current bikes are now out-dated. Described by BMW as being ‘lighter, faster and more versatile’, the new adventure sport bike – which we will review before its release in 2020 – has a few features that might make existing owners look at their PCP deals…

First things first; the new S1000XR doesn't have the shift-cam motor we expected. But there are plenty of other changes...

Weighing 226kg full of fuel and ready to ride, it’s two kilograms lighter than the current model, which has been pretty much unchanged since its launch in 2015. BMW’s headline figure of a 10kg weight saving is due to the new machine having integrated luggage rails that look very similar to those on the Kawasaki Versys 1000. With the luggage rails that the existing XR requires for boxes in place, the total saving will be of most interest to those who tour on this bike, which outsold the S1000 RR in the UK by almost 25% since going on sale.

The maximum total weight is 450kg, which is up from 444kg, so the load capacity is even greater. Of course, current owners of BMW’s luggage will need to change it for the new bike.

While the previous model was available in various iterations that saw the top-spec electronics only available on the highest-price machines, the 2020 S1000 XR includes the following:

Dynamic ESA (electronic suspension adjustment)
Riding modes Pro (full power and minimal traction control)
ABS Pro and DTC (cornering ABS and dynamic traction control)

The new model also gains Hill Start Control Pro, MSR (engine drag torque control to prevent the rear wheel slipping in under aggressive acceleration or down-changes) in addition to the existing anti-hopping clutch, a 6.6” TFT display with full connectivity (instead of the rev counter dial and LCD on the outgoing model) and full LED lighting.

The riding modes gain a ‘DTC Wheelie Function’, which uses the six-axis sensor to allow for controlled front wheel activity, while the superb up-and-down quick-shifter is now standard, with a 20N lighter action to the gear selector (now 65N).

Does the new BMW S1000 XR still vibrate and buzz through the bars?
One of the most common criticisms of the existing machine is a vibration through the bars somewhere around 5,000rpm. While we’ll need to test-ride the bike to find out if it’s been eliminated, we do know that the new motor is described as being ‘completely newly developed’.

The four-cylinder 999cc engine makes 162bhp (121kW) @ 11,000rpm and 84 lb-ft (114Nm) @ 9,250rpm. That’s exactly the same as the outgoing model.

“The challenge with the S1000 XR was to create a power unit derived from the S1000 RR's supersports engine that was going to be much more suitable for touring than its predecessor, though without compromising its dynamic characteristics and performance,” said Thomas Ziemendorf, Project Manager Motorcycle Drive.

Compression has been increased from 12.0 to 12.5, while the linear torque curve and altered gear ratios of the new machine are said to ‘further make the engine speed range somewhat broader, more fulsome and more harmonious with a view to enhanced rideability.’ Bascially, 4th, 5th and 6th gears are all slightly longer, meaning engine speed is lowered by up to 8%. This could well move the engine vibes to a less intrusive rev range.

The new bike’s bars are 30mm narrower than before, and the ‘vibration decoupling’ has been redesigned, now using pressed-in rubber bushings. While BMW did fit rubber dampers to the bar risers of the old model, and Evotech Performance offers much heavier bar ends – a combination of which significantly reduced the vibration – we’ll have to wait until the full review to find out what it actually feels like.

Fuel consumption has been reduced by 8% to 45.6mpg, and while BMW claims that the redesigned motor has ‘optimised mid-range power’, it goes on to say in its press release that the new bike offers ‘that bit more power at low and mid-range engine speeds’, which is most likely down to the redefined gear ratios, though the cam profiles have been modified.

Thanks to 25% lighter rocker arms, removal of an idler gear between the crank and camshafts, a combined oil and water pump and other modifications, the engine is now 5kg lighter than before.

Does it still sound great? We’re going to have to wait and see, but BMW does say that the newly-designed exhaust system (still made of stainless steel) has ‘reduced noise levels for comfort-oriented travel and constant riding’. It’s about 10% (1.2kg) lighter than the previous model too.

Any other differences between the new and old BMW S1000R XR?
The engine is said to be more of a load-bearing element of the main frame, which sees a 2% reduction in weight. The subframe also loses 9% of its weight.

The steering head angle has gone from 64.5° to 65.1°, with offset altered and castor reduced by 1mm to 116mm. The wheelbase has gone from 1,548mm to 1,552mm. BMW says that the new bike will offer improved feedback from the front wheel and better control at the rear, while also being more directionally accurate.

At 66.6kg, the new swingarm is 20% lighter than it was, and the linkage to the shock has been removed. Rear wheel travel now matches the front at 150mm (the old bike had 140mm at the rear).

Dynamic ESA Pro is an ex-works option and expands on the manual load settings of the Road mode with the addition of automatic load compensation and a ‘minimum’ setting for the spring pre-load, which can make picking the bike up off the side stand in pillion mode easier. Seat height remains at 840mm for 2020, but the bike can be effectively lowered when it’s at a standstill. Pro mode can be retro-fitted by BMW Motorrad dealers, and the damper valves have been redesigned with new shim stacks for a claimed improvement in comfort.

The new wheels weigh a total of 1.8kg less than before (that’s a reduction of 17%), and even lighter ‘M’ forged wheels are an option. BMW claims weight savings across pretty much the whole bike, so we’re waiting to find out how so many reduction only see 2kg shaved off the bike – the new integrated luggage system must make up a fair chunk.

The front brakes are still four-piston calipers biting 320mm discs, but they’re BMW-branded (likely Hayes), as opposed to the Brembos of before.

Dynamic Brake Control (DBC) has also been introduced, which limits unintentional acceleration during braking, to keep stopping distances as short as possible. That probably also means an end to the burn-outs.

What can the new S1000 XR dash do? The new 6.5” full-colour TFT dash can be set to various styles and includes the following information:

Speed
Revs
Riding modes and settings
Current and maximum achieved lean angle
Current and maximum deceleration
Engine speed reduction by DTC
Speed warning when a user-set speed is exceeded
Average speed
Trip 1 and 2
Total distance
Fuel level
Average fuel consumption
Remaining range

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Teffballs.

Tldr - got a picture?

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:55 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old on the left, new on the right

https://i.imgur.com/y1kDMOm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/iSvv2TZ.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s9ObKJu.jpg

Last edited by Undinist on 20:05 - 05 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:55 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheelie control? Whats wrong with a bit of finesse with the throttle. They'll be fitting linked brakes so you can't consciously choose which brake to use depending on road/surface conditions.

Oh, hang on.....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:56 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Old on the left, new on the right

https://i.imgur.com/y1kDMOm.jpg

It still looks ball-wrenchingly tall to me.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, pretty sure the Tuono V4 is/will be similar money. I'd be test riding one of those before I even looked at the beemer. I'd suggest you do as well if you're thinking about buying something silly fast but comfortable.

It's a fucking giggle and a half. I would be banned within a week, I don't have the self control needed for that kind of bike. My license was most happy I stopped after 10 mins and handed it back to my mate.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:07 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nail on head. A proper licence loser.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 20:26 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

It's got a narrower frame which doesn't spread your legs as much. And there's a low seat option of 820mm.

There's more blurb in a 28 page PDF https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/global/article/attachment/T0302052EN/441159

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:37 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

And there's a low seat option of 820mm.

Low? My inside leg runs out at about 780, and that's without taking into account the space my unfeasibly massive balls and cock take up.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Wheelie control? Whats wrong with a bit of finesse with the throttle. They'll be fitting linked brakes so you can't consciously choose which brake to use depending on road/surface conditions.

Oh, hang on.....

Hill start assistance was what caught my eye. Why anyone would need that is beyond me.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:26 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Oh, hang on.....

Hill start assistance was what caught my eye. Why anyone would need that is beyond me.

Exactly!When is going to be used on any sort of hill?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:24 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugly, the silver one is just passable, the red is Sick .

I'm sure it's a hoot to ride if you can get past/isolate the nanny bits Laughing

It's not a bike I would choose simply because that sort of power in that type of bike is just numbers. It's Busa territory FFS.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:14 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an intriguing bike, but how are you supposed to love it when it's so damn ugly?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:54 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

I've got that on my Skoda. It makes sense for a car as not everyone is proficient in toe-heal technique Laughing WT-actual-F is the point on a bike?! Reminds me of the utterly pointless "clutch boost" thingy on the SV650 - why bother?

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably £12k plus. I'd rather spend £2k on something and have £10k in petrol.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:42 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:

It's probably useful on a K1600. And maybe it's cheaper for BMW to mass produce the electronics and fit the same spec to all their models? I dunno, I'm clutching at straws here.

Maybe it's also useful when you stall on a steep hill off road? And the XR is an adventure bike, so you're meant to do that sort of thing.

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
clutching at straws here.

See what you did there.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not excited about it no - it's something I'll never be able to afford.
Must say it does look a slightly odd shape.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Ugly, slabby, tall, heavy (?), silly nose. I'm not a fan of the complexity of modern bikes either, particularly the electronics. Will they still be working when they're as old as my '99 ZX6R? Can you service it yourself? Furthermore the £13k asking price is the most I've ever spent on a car, so again no. You rich guys can disagree. It's probably nice to ride but so are mine.

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me, but then I was never excited by the old one!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was going to get excited about a new bike, it would be the new Fireblade. That looks naughty. 214BHP, 200KG wet? That's Ducati V4 type numbers.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:16 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW bikes have never really appealed to me. I don't know why because they aren't bad bikes.

The only one I'd fork out my own money for would be the K1600 but if I was spending that sort of money I'd have the new Goldwing.

I'm not even sure what class this XR falls into. It's not a naked. A road going adventure bike like the Tiger sport? A posh mans Fazer 1000?

Is there a even a market for it here?

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a big seller. Allegedly it's nearly as fast and clever as the S1000RR wonderbike but you can commute and tour on it too. I've no idea what sort of people buy it. But it's 14 grand without any options.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:12 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
BMW bikes have never really appealed to me. I don't know why because they aren't bad bikes.

Same here. They just don't fire my imagination somehow.
It's not the only modern bike where the looks don't do anything for me, but some at least make me wonder what they're like to own and ride. I think the S1000R just makes it into that category, but it's not like I'm drooling over those either.

Quote:
I'm not even sure what class this XR falls into...posh mans Fazer 1000?

If so, I'm clearly not a posh man Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
It's a big seller. Allegedly it's nearly as fast and clever as the S1000RR wonderbike but you can commute and tour on it too. I've no idea what sort of people buy it. But it's 14 grand without any options.

You could do all that on a Busa, Blackbird or a ZZR1400 and still be in silly speed territory as well. I'd rather have one of those TBH.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2