BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Is anyone excited by the new S1000XR?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:20 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing the point. It's as light as a sports bike. It's in the same category as the Multistrada. A newish category which has passed you by.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So statistically ( Rolling Eyes ) it's got everything going for it. And still it doesn't interest me (notwithstanding lack of funds - if I had the dosh and was in the market).

What a bike is like on paper is maybe the second thing I'll look at when choosing. First, it has to capture my imagination, and that's often, if not always, down to aesthetics. That's not enough on its own if it's going to be an uninspiring ride, but that's usually the first thing that'll pique my interest - or not. In this BM's case...not.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably am because the only bike I have had in the last 10 years that could be remotely compared with that bike was my Street Triple R.

Now bear with me, yes it's about half the HP but it was developed from the Daytona so is from a doner sports bike. It handled brilliantly. It had plenty of power for a naked bike and it was a better bike than I am a rider however I never really loved it like I did my Busa or either of my 6 cylinder Wings.

Therefore I very much doubt I would particularly fall in love with that, it just isn't my cup of tea.

And it's fcuking ugly.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only echo everyones thoughts about a BMW not being too thrilling. I bought my K1200S for a tour and it did it very well, almost too well. No fizzing in the trouser department. Very competent and comfortable, but that's pretty much it.

Anyone want to buy a K1200?

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 23:38 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To want one you have to start by being awestruck by BM's achievements with the S1000RR. Then you realise that you can have 95% of the RR with BMW panniers and a touring fairing for two-up touring, with all the latest electronic rider aids. A WSB-winning everyday bike. Looked at that way it's a compelling proposition.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where we differ.

I used to do lots of European touring and the best bikes to do it on in my view were tourers. Bikes with large fairings, lazy powerful engines, comfy seating etc.

To me, a good touring bike has lots of little things that make long distance travel easy. Heated grips, heated seats, power take offs for charging your phone, electric adjustable windscreen and suspension.

Oh and a stereo, or on my 1800 Wing a quadreo or whatever you call a four speaker system Laughing

I'm sure that bike is a masterpiece of engineering but it is not for me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:09 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a dinosaur. I don't want rider aids. It's all too clinical, and I think that's maybe a particularly apt description of BMW. Or pretty much anything German for that matter Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 13:41 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm new to BMW's and while I'm happy enough with the R1250RT I wouldn't describe myself as a typical BMW owner, if there is such a thing. Having bought the bike new I've got to go through the rigmarole of dealer servicing for warranty etc.. One of the plus points other than the wonderful coffee at the dealers is that I've had some of the latest BMW bikes on loan, including this year's XR. It is stupidly quick, handles and brakes superbly but.,.....and this may be an age thing, I got bored with it very quickly. I couldn't wait to get back on the RT. The riding position of the XR isn't that far removed from my V-STROM 1000 but even given that the Suzuki has less than 2/3 of the power of the Beemer, I'd much rather ride the Suzuki. While I toured a lot on naked bikes in the 1970's and 80's (not really much choice then) I wouldn't consider doing it on an XR. The luggage carrying capability is limited, the pillion perch is too small and the weather protection is negligible. While all BMW'S are sold as premium products, the XR just seemed a bit too cheap and nasty to me. If I was going to spend that kind of money on that kind of bike, inspite of all the Ducati reliability worries, I'd buy a Multi Strada.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:39 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really my type of bike. I definitely don't want all the electrical rider aids on it and I think it is really quite ugly.
nikkisscy This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 119 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2