Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RZR 250 Yamaha 1985

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bangers73
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:13 - 05 Nov 2019    Post subject: RZR 250 Yamaha 1985 Reply with quote

G'day from the land down under just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I have a RZR 250 that ive pulled out of mothballs for last 8 yrs, and would like to tune the carbs any help appreciated Very Happy

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:44 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

G,day from above and over, what results have you on the engine compression tests and the cooling system pressure test???
Also what work have you done before testing the carbs?

Bangers73
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 02:11 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Jaffa90 havent done any of them as yet mate only pulled her out as an emergency vehicle while my work car is being fixed ive owned it for close to 17yrs has been registered a few times and barely ridden but i dare say needs a freshen up as ive done nothing to her as in top end rebuild still went like the clappers tho seems to be bogging down low but runs fine once revs are up it will be getting a rebuild after my work car is fixed i just dont want to damage anything before hand

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 years sleeping and bogging at low revs, sounds like the fuel system needs cleaning out and i would be checking the carbs jets, more so the pilot feeds.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:26 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is an issue with two strokes in that if they are not used the crank seals dry out, and then when you try to run them it wrecks them which will result in all sorts of nastiness. You probably won't be able to do a quick and dirty recommission unless it's been used regularly.

I used to have an RD350F2 which is very similar to your RZR. You can balance the carb slides with a pair of lollipop sticks. You remove the airbox lid and the air filter and put the sticks under each slide and ensure they move up and down simultaneously.

You can also adjust the position of the needle jet, and there is an air screw which affects idle speed, but I'd set these to standard and leave them. If the carbs have had petrol in them, then I'd strip them and give them a thorough clean before doing anything else to the carbs.

Honestly I'd be surprised if you'll be able to use this bike as an emergency transportation while your car is out of commission because it's been off the road for too long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Bangers73
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:49 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

@marjay cheers mate for the info on tuning i will do that over the weekend at the moment shes running (last 2 days) going to drop the oil also already done the coolant could be right about the seals as there is a couple of drops but from memory it did leak alittle last time it was registered sorted the air fuel 2day old school way all the way in and 2.5 turns out as it was 3.5 out roughly might of been knocked or kids messing with it in shed over the yrs i always run my bikes dry (fuel) b4 storage of any period i check oil and coolent level twice a day just to make sure as you've said she sat for quiet some time but dry storage love my South Aussie weather Very Happy seems to be holding up must be a Wednesday bike will let you both know how it turns out after the adjustments thank you once again

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these, as a project, a few years ago, (kept in a similar climate to yours), despite having been off the road for a few years, the crank seals were fine.

Bangers73 wrote:
.....seems to be bogging down low but runs fine once revs are up

Have you checked that the power valve is operating correctly?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:56 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:
I bought one of these, as a project, a few years ago, (kept in a similar climate to yours), despite having been off the road for a few years, the crank seals were fine.

Bangers73 wrote:
.....seems to be bogging down low but runs fine once revs are up

Have you checked that the power valve is operating correctly?

Wow... Ok. With my RD, the powervalve opened sproadically, making it quite an exciting ride. I replaced the entire wiring loom and this solved the issue. I have a strong suspicion that the problem was at the earth point on the regulator rectifier on the rear subframe.

Some two strokes are built better than others, I have to admit!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:07 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't believe it was 8 years ago, that I had that bike!

Here's the thread I made about the restoration:-

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=200166&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I can see the pics, not sure anyone else will be able to, though.

Bangers73
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 04:52 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok fuel issue sorted cheers for all input guy its appreciated went for a strap on it yesterday and she got hot to the point of boiling the top up reservoir checked coolant was alittle down as to be expected but radiator was fine no loss of coolant could this be a stuffed thermostat or something more sinister like a fouled up water pump tonight after work I'll get it warm again and check the hoses to see if equal temperature any more insight would be great sorry for the million questions learning as i go
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1