Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SO.........What got you in to biking?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:51 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: SO.........What got you in to biking? Reply with quote

I don't know if there is a thread like this around (probably been done before, but I cannot be see one)

But it its something to talk about in these dark winter months.

What made you get on two wheels?

I'll start: touring.

Everytime I get dragged on holiday abroad with parents, you go to some nice places.......but then you spend 95% stuck on a resort ...which is basically a prison camp ...just with a bit better weather!

I have always wanted to do something better than that .... (actually got the idea from watching those top gear Christmas episodes where they go buy old cars then they go on some challenge road run around some place in the world)

and yeah......discovered that bikes are great for commuting as you can traffic weave Mr. Green

So what made you a two wheeler? (I bet is was the high speed that did it Very Happy )

Last edited by WreckTangle on 13:18 - 06 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it was the ability to get away quickly after the event and not looking out of place in a balaclava.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read Easyriders and Iron Horse magazines as a snotty.

I imagined myself as a modern day cowboy like Peter Fonda.

The dream came true when I got mu first bike, a Honda P50. The beast from the east.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/g0MAAOSwNkpcEaGG/s-l300.jpg

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember a time when I didn't want a bike!
Probably something to do with my parents, unwittingly, ending up at the IOM, during TT week, when I was a toddler, in 1964 or 5.
A couple of teachers used to turn up to school on bikes, one on a 350 Montesa trials bike, he went on to run a classic bike race team.
Never managed to save up enough from my paper round to get a 50 but I, eventually, ended up with a pre-restriction 125.
Bikes have always fascinated me and always seemed way more fun than cars.
IME most car nuts turn out to be some of the most, cliquey, snobs you could ever meet!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you're a 6 year old on the back of your dad's Bantam you think you're flying.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

felt a need to gain some man points somehow and, also, didn't have the cash for a decent used fast car (decent used fast bikes are loads more affordable)

so - neither of these reasons are particularly bike-focused, and could theoretically have taken different rolls of the dice

of course, i soon realised why people are so fucking zealous about it all - it's stupidly engrossing, but - capital 'b' - it's bloody difficult...so much harder than driving (and consequently far more involving)

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:42 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things gave me the bug before I was old enough to ride.
Not my dad's C70, rotting under a tarpaulin in the garden, nor the CD175 he replaced it with.
My eldest brother probably started it when he bought a new 250 Superdream and started to take me for rides on the back. Then he replaced that with a beautiful (I thought) new green Z650. Then his mates would come over on CB900s and the like.
Then I started to read bike magazines. The August 1980 issue of "Bike" was a big influence on the hooligan I turned out to be when I started. So much so that a couple of years ago, I sourced a replacement for that long lost copy.
Then I got a job as a Saturday lad at a local bike dealer - Ducati, Laverda, Moto Guzzi, Yamaha, and spent my Saturdays drooling over the expensive Italian exotica of the day.

Is winter over yet? Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:01 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dirt cheap compared to cars when you are 17.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suntan Sid wrote:

A couple of teachers used to turn up to school on bikes, one on a 350 Montesa trials bike, he went on to run a classic bike race team.

My physics teacher was reputed to have a collection of something like 50 old Brit bikes, and he did indeed turn up on several different ones.
I got an A in physics O level Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:14 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was driving my car one day and thought "this isn't the way to save the planet!"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

No, it was boredom. Bored of sitting in a metal box as London's traffic gets steadily worse.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:18 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started racing on BMX's when I was a kid, then I progressed onto Motorcross and as soon as I was old enough I got my bike licence. I didn't pass my car test (in the UK, I had an Israeli driving licence) until 2005.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:50 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a generational thing If you're a certain age, then bikes always been around, and desirable. Back in the day, entertainment for kids was riding around on bicycles and playing outdoor games with friends. This was universal - what we did for play was outside, and bicycles were a big part of it. It was easy to dream about twisting the right handlebar and zooming off into the distance. There seemed to be a lot more bikes on the road, and interesting/strange individual characters around. From people with spiked green punk hairdos, to the characters who didn't go anywhere without their ferrets in their big coats, the one-man-band types with cymbals on their knees busking in the high street, and, of course, among other people we were told to avoid, the large groups of people with motorbikes who congregated at Wimpys. It all presented as an interesting and colourful picture of an adult world full of excitement and adventure and choices that reflected individuality.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I travelled home on public transport to see my parents, who lived off the bus routes, I had to hitchhike the last stretch. I vividly remember standing waiting for ages, thumb out, in the dark one winter evening in the pouring rain and thinking 'sod this for a game of soldiers'. It was about 20 miles; I couldn't afford a car; I had absolutely zero interest in motorbikes - in fact I had strongly negative feelings about them TBH - but I convinced myself that a 50cc moped would be no more dangerous than a pushbike, and bought one.

Didn't take very long at all to work out that sitting at 25 mph on dark country roads with faltering 6V electrics was actually terrifyingly scary, and that the solution was MORE POWER NEEDED. Simultaneously though, the attraction of powered two-wheelers also became clear. The rest is history...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been into human-powered two wheels and when I was a teenager I had more than a passing interest in motorcycles, but circumstances (storage, money, parents) prevented this. Fast forward nearly 20 years and I was fortunate enough that none of these factors were a problem anymore; I had a eureka moment and went for it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:17 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 16 and lived 15 miles away from the nearest anything and 5 miles from the nearest bus stop. So it was either get driven everywhere by parents or a 30 mile cycle ride up and down some really fucking steep hills.

So moped bought, CBT done the first Sunday after my 16th birthday.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in a village, it was just what you did in them days (early 80s) we were rockers (or 'greasers' in 80s parlance) and we used to sing about smashing the mods ('smoothies') - but we rarely did of course. We used to go to rallies - remember Nob Rot? Nearly everyone passed their bike test before car, from 16-21 I only used bikes then I passed a car test,,

Ha ha I found this link https://www.lpmcc.net/rallies/rally_nobrot82.htm to some pics. I was there in 82 if I recall on my RS200 - happy (bloody cold) days and melted my new Frank Thomas boots in the bonfire

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:27 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Ha ha I found this link https://www.lpmcc.net/rallies/rally_nobrot82.htm to some pics. I was there in 82 if I recall on my RS200 - happy (bloody cold) days and melted my new Frank Thomas boots in the bonfire

I think I recognise a very young and much hairier version of one of my mates on that site! I shall give him some abuse later.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I was 16 and lived 15 miles away from the nearest anything and 5 miles from the nearest bus stop. So it was either get driven everywhere by parents or a 30 mile cycle ride up and down some really fucking steep hills.

So moped bought, CBT done the first Sunday after my 16th birthday.

Pretty much the same for me. We relocated out into the sticks, so I was about 10 miles way from civilisation and all my friends, so applied for my provisional, got my Barrey Sheene on and bought this beast (no CBT back then)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3e/6f/54/3e6f5441101c939e29be11ff1c5bb2af.jpg

And YES, if did come with the shopping basket!

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved jobs and decided i wasn't getting on the tube so i went and did my licence.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:

Pretty much the same for me. We relocated out into the sticks, so I was about 10 miles way from civilisation and all my friends, so applied for my provisional, got my Barrey Sheene on and bought this beast (no CBT back then)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3e/6f/54/3e6f5441101c939e29be11ff1c5bb2af.jpg

And YES, if did come with the shopping basket!

Ahh. A shitty express? 25mph flat out.

I was rocking a Tomos tango in Black with gold wheels and neon graphics. 2-speed automatic.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:53 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just liked seeing bikes overtake when I was a kid. The wide tyres, the bright colours, the amazing noise.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Ahh. A shitty express? 25mph flat out.

I was rocking a Tomos tango in Black with gold wheels and neon graphics. 2-speed automatic.

That's the one! It didn't much like the hills either! I was once overtaken by a rabbit going up one of the hills on the way home one night (not even a joke!)

The Tomos brings back memories! There was a really hot girl who had one in our village. Asked her out for a ride but she declined The world's smallest violin player, just for you!

It's claim to fame was it did a few laps of Olivers Mount, as it wasn't too far from where I lived. Like I said, I was getting my Barry Shene on! Smile

evilzed
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:07 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

While cycling to work one day I initially heard a loud bang then saw a Super Duke 990 show up at the lights I was waiting at. It had two Akra pipes and was one of the coolest things I've seen, looked like so much fun.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needed my own transport. FX50.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3