BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SO.........What got you in to biking?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:02 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could remember. I bought one when I was 18. Don't know why I did it. I didn't want a car. Friends and family didn't have bikes. Bikes were a bit oikish. A couple of boys at school had one and I was mesmerized.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:06 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
melted my new Frank Thomas boots in the bonfire

I once made the mistake of buying white race-style boots ( Embarassed ), when I had my FZR1000. I stamped through the remaining embers of a campfire at a Donington race meet to try to tone them down a bit Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I just liked seeing bikes overtake when I was a kid. The wide tyres, the bright colours, the amazing noise.

There was one near me that had some effect like that; a Benelli 900 Sei in red and black, with what are probably still some of the loudest pipes I've heard on a bike. It had one of those little headlamp cowls like the one on the Guzzi Le Mans Mk.1, clip-on bars, and it lived in a world of permanent summer sunshine Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:12 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was arseless leather chaps that did for me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

I don't doubt it, but surely all you needed to buy were arseless leather shorts? Razz You could've made a good Bavarian.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid our next door neighbour had an old british bike of some sort.
He took my round the block on the back when I was 8.

I was hooked.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grew up in a village surrounded by an industrial wasteland of old railway track beds, illegal tipping from building sites and best of all - colliery spoil heaps.
I was 10 and I'd ride around the places on bicycles until one day a friend gave me a 'backer' on a Honda Cub 50. No pedals, comfortable and best of all went anywhere. I was hooked.
Another friend and myself went halfers on a Honda SS50 - we paid £12 for it. Friend ended up becoming a brother to a new baby and so the bike was basically mine to use freely.
The old track beds linked to other old coal mine sites and more spoil heaps. I could go almost anywhere without touching the public highway.
I actually started working doing allsorts just to fund the fuel for bikes from that point - cutting wood to make sticks for lighting neighbours coal fires made me some decent money.

First road bike was at age 16 because it was two long bus trips to my first job. I could do the trip in 20 minutes whereas the bus routes took a total of 70 minutes. I saved a fortune by using the bike too.

Blah blah
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:22 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about 8 or 9, I remember my grandad having an old black Cosack (?) and I used to sit on and start it if/when I could find the key - it was in a covered alley way with doors on both ends that used to fill up with clouds of 2 stroke and un-burnt fuel shortly followed by lots of shouting to turn the bl***y thing off.

The next milestone was on my 12th birthday when my cousin gave me a go on the back of his purple 400/4, the noise and speed was amazing - he crashed it just before his honeymoon, breaking his collar bone.

Then at 17,it was either carrying on cycling everywhere or buy a motorbike, so I bought a KH100ex and that was the start of it all

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:46 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:
I just liked seeing bikes overtake when I was a kid. The wide tyres, the bright colours, the amazing noise.

There was one near me that had some effect like that; a Benelli 900 Sei in red and black, with what are probably still some of the loudest pipes I've heard on a bike. It had one of those little headlamp cowls like the one on the Guzzi Le Mans Mk.1, clip-on bars, and it lived in a world of permanent summer sunshine Smile

I suspect it was ZXR750 H1's and early GSXRs to be honest...
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
MarJay wrote:

The 'grown-ups' around me when I was on a fizz had Tridents, a Rocket three and big Honda fours. I guess they were only in their early 20s but they were in a different mesmerising world of hot birds and big bikes in where Ogri was king. My dad would encourage us onto bikes and we had access to fields and also an old railway line/country walk where we had to dodge the 'countryside warden' . very first bikes were a poor attempt at a trail-bike Bantam conversion (20 quid) and a Honda S90 (tenner). One day the old man turned up with a Greeves Hawkstone-ish bike (25 quid), at age 13 it was brutally powerful and scared me witless. My older brother could ride it though and 40+ years on he still has it!

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:31 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I suspect it was ZXR750 H1's and early GSXRs to be honest...

That was me then! Very Happy
Fortunate enough to be riding those bikes myself in my early biking days - great memories, great fun.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1972 and I was a young puppy.
The lad across the road had various bikes and I was aware, sort of?
Then one day while I was over there , we took an old very tatty BSA Bantam out on the disused railway line.
After a few stalls and bumps I was riding a bike all on my own!
Then someone turned up with a 100cc Jap bike and it seemed to be twice as fast Smile .
After that I had the itch and needed to get my own bike.

I’ve been doomed ever since Laughing

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:56 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate biking, absolute death traps that wake neighbourhoods.

I'm here for the leather.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:08 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Minty wrote:
I'm here for the leather.

New thread required.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 14:57 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

did anyone feel the temptation to get in to biking to piss off the mother?

Mummy said never purchase a bike, as she will be very cross...........SO I DID Twisted Evil

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents were seemingly completely indifferent to me getting into bikes. Maybe they'd already got used to the idea because my dad had them and they'd already gone through it with my brother, or perhaps they thought it a good way to get rid of me Laughing They didn't even say anything when I had my 750 Turbo delivered before I'd passed my test, not that I remember anyway.

Later, my mum used to joke about my hobby of "throwing myself off motorcycles" Laughing

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:25 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
My parents were seemingly completely indifferent to me getting into bikes. Maybe they'd already got used to the idea because my dad had them and they'd already gone through it with my brother, or perhaps they thought it a good way to get rid of me Laughing They didn't even say anything when I had my 750 Turbo delivered before I'd passed my test, not that I remember anyway.

Later, my mum used to joke about my hobby of "throwing myself off motorcycles" Laughing

my mum gave me the 'I am about to put a pickaxe into your head look' when she saw the bike being delivered outside my house Shocked

she hates bikes as she used to ride of the back of dad's bike when she was younger, and they had a 'incident' and she broke her shoulder......so I suspect her hatred of bikes might be something to do with this? Confused

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The profit margins are huge if you steal them and sell them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A magazine with a Norton F1 in, at the same time as one of my dad's workmates was building a trike.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free parking.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:14 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowside wrote:
Free parking.

AMEN Very Happy

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I was into them from age 4-5 at the latest. But sitting on a Fantic enduro bike static fun ride outside Adsa (Sorry Gateway) was a factor, as was Kick-start, as was a kid getting a PW50 and another kid at school having a Honda Z50. My dad had bikes from 69-79, and I used to watch all the bike sports on TV when everything was on Grandstand on Saturday afternoon.

I can remember watching 80's GP races, and especially the open class 500 MX championship with Dave Thorpe, Rob Herring, and Kurt Nicol etc.

I got a homemade Honda/Puch monkey bike age 11, and then did trials and tried MX on a YZ125. Probably as much of an influence as anything above though was the Katana man up the road, and my Superbikes of the 80's book that I've had since I was 7.

I'll leave this earth owning more than one bike, and I doubt they'll ever be a day i don't think about bikes too.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:46 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

because chicks get wet about bikers.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never really got that bit, or maybe I never really made chicks wet?
I was into tuned 125's at 17, but I can't really remember they impressed many girls being all smokey and noisy. In my school the girls that were impressed by bikes generally probably owned their own.

And yeah in 90's sports bike mad Britain I met a few girls at bike events who had some nice bikes, but I've found today that 30's-40's women who are impressed by bikes generally want or need to see a Harley Davidson, with some stubblely hipster dude riding it to be impressed or wet as you like to put it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3