Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Have u tried sports bikes & decided they are too fast?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:41 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Have u tried sports bikes & decided they are too fast? Reply with quote

We're all told that sports bikes are some sort of ultimate because they're the fastest and the most technologically advanced and we can identify ourselves with MotoGP heroes. How many of us have tried a sports bike and decided they are not ideal for public roads and gone back to something slower and more comfy?

Hang on, this question doesn't make sense because cruisers and adventure bikes and tourers can be as fast as sports bikes nowadays. It's all about speed and power. But the roads are getting slower. The world's gone mad.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:45 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Have u tried sports bikes & gone back to something s Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
cruisers and adventure bikes and tourers can be as fast as sports bikes nowadays.

Hand

Only sports bikes that have something wrong with them.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:45 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd still be riding one if it wasn't for the fact that I was being slowly crippled by the last one.

If i could lose ten years, I'd be back on one in a shot.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:46 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a VFR750 and an enfield bullet if that's what you mean.

The VFR is a sporty as I can make it within reason in terms of suspension and brake upgrades.

I wouldn't say I use one or the other. I use both for different things.

Comes down to fashion at the end of the day. Huge adventure bikes are in many ways highly impractical for the road too. People bought into a lifestyle. Ewan and Charlie have a lot to answer for.

A straightforward example is that people put shitloads of luggage on them and go touring. But they have an exhaust in the way so one pannier either had to be stood-away from the bike or made with a tunnel in it, reducing carrying capacity. While "proper" touring/sports touring bikes have a low level exhaust which facilitates luggage fitting.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:51 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me started on the GS fuckwittery....

I'm just thinking about the times when I tried to cane the RSV Mille/ZX9/MV 750/Hayabusa on the road. That's supposed to be normal biker behaviour.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:56 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, sports bikes were too fast for the road back in 1991 Laughing

I'd have ridden many more if I had been able to, but by now I think I would have moved away from them anyway. You can get plenty of speed kicks and good handling without resorting to them nowadays thankfully.

Nothing against others owning them though. Some are very pretty Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:57 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Have u tried sports bikes & decided they are too fas Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Hang on, this question doesn't make sense because cruisers and adventure bikes and tourers can be as fast as sports bikes nowadays.

Nope. Not at all. Even the "best" cruiser will struggle to keep up with my Lardy, 90's VFR, which is decidedly NOT a sport bike.

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:01 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diavel?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hardly a Cruiser. That's more Musclebike.

Either way, I suspect almost all of the 600/1000's would see it off pretty easily, unless they're fucked examples, or ridden by someone scared of a throttle.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is that only sports bikes actually handle well. You can argue, but you’d be wrong (or slow).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Problem is that only sports bikes actually handle well. You can argue, but you’d be wrong (or slow).

But when you grow up, you realise you don't need to be MM anymore Laughing
What I consider to be fast and good handling is enough for me. I've yet to win anything for beating anyone else on the road.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Have u tried sports bikes & gone back to something s Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
cruisers and adventure bikes and tourers can be as fast as sports bikes nowadays. Hand

In your "brilliant biking roads" of London. Also cyclists. Wink

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone is picking holes in the "sports bikes are too fast for some people" sentiment - They are, although in most cases, it's not the speed, it's the ergonomics that put a stopper on things.

The issue is that the OP thinks that Cruisers and ADV bikes are just as fast. I suspect the OP hasn't ridden a sports bike properly for a looong time.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't do anything for me now, but I still appreciate the 80's and 90's space race in sports bikes, and I still like em and would ride the older bikes and enjoy them.

I'm most interested in classic MX and Enduro bikes now, but I still like the idea of a big 1300cc+ naked muscle bike and the way that sitting bolt upright tends to self limit people to <100mph generally. There's not many people that are happy to sit at 140mph sat upright with no fairing or screen, and bike wide MX Renthal bars.

I do sometimes see a late 90's Sports bike and think they look so fat and dated to the modern stuff, but they are definitely better road machines for almost anyone.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 20:38 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of.

My bike will hit the end of its speedo and carry on revving and still keep going after I fanny out... but thats 180+.

I think I have more fun on smaller bikes, but I've only got a half size 125 and the 1000 to use. I had more fun, albeit rather cocky fun on the KTM 200 I had. Type of fun that would get people shouting at you to stop and calling the police etc.

I haven't really found a nice middle ground... but yes, I think my bike is too fast, but its made to be that way.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Forced wrote:

But when you grow up, you realise you don't need to be MM anymore Laughing

And before you weigh in Mr. Forced, that's a self-deprecating remark, poking at myself for suggesting I might have grown up Smile

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:53 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few and decided its horrifically uncomfortable and I cant ride one for more than 10 mins without my back, arse and knees aching to the point its unbearable and being so hunched over it I resemble a spastic chimpanzee trying to shag a football. But that was 10 minutes of grinning ear to ear like a twat.

Yes theyre fast. No your ADV/Cruiser wont be able to keep up with one thats properly going for it.

Around London most 'peds can keep up with a sports bike, thats not because theyre getting faster.

"too fast" ? No, thats all up to the rider and their wrist, not the bike.

Pretty much any bike over 600cc most people will run out of skill and/or road long before theyve reached the max speed/power their bike can offer on a road. Obviously tracks are a different matter and I assume OP was reffering to road use.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:54 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Kind of.

My bike will hit the end of its speedo and carry on revving and still keep going after I fanny out... but thats 180+.

I think I have more fun on smaller bikes, but I've only got a half size 125 and the 1000 to use. I had more fun, albeit rather cocky fun on the KTM 200 I had. Type of fun that would get people shouting at you to stop and calling the police etc.

I haven't really found a nice middle ground... but yes, I think my bike is too fast, but its made to be that way.

What happened to your Striple? Wasn't that a good middle ground sort of bike?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:08 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Have u tried sports bikes & decided they are too fas Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Have u tried sports bikes & decided they are too fast?

Yes, ZX10R. So much power, that I found it boring to ride on the open road. Whatever gear, the throttle half open and you're in the triple digits in no time.

When I ride for fun I enjoy shifting gears, blipping the throttle on the downshifts and having the throttle fully open every now and then. I'm gonna be honest here, I don't have the skills, or rather nature, to do that on a ZX10R on the open road. That's why I found the ZX10R boring to ride.

Even the ZX7R, that I owned felt like a bit too much at some point, but was still ''reasonable''. After I sold the ZX7R I decided to get something completely different. The idea of getting a big single in a road bike frame was born.

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 21:21 - 06 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:17 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What happened to your Striple? Wasn't that a good middle ground sort of bike?

Sold it, my living room only has room for one bike.

Not really, like its almost perfect. Almost.

100% the best engine I've ever used. Bike is agile as fuck. It is 99% there, was just missing the smallest of things. Was genuinely happy with it and would have another.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a peach of an engine, although I sometimes thought it a little too linear in power delivery. Agility, yep, barely needed to think about turning and it was done. What did you feel was missing?

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:28 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

The issue is that the OP thinks that Cruisers and ADV bikes are just as fast. I suspect the OP hasn't ridden a sports bike properly for a looong time.

Diavel is a cruiser and allegedly difficult for a sports bike to shake off. S1000XR allegedly goes and handles almost as well as the RR. I have some understanding of sports bikes having raced an R1 and MV. No sports bikes ever caught me on a B road when I was on a BMW GS. Many tried. One crashed. Let's face it, most sports bike owners are ATGANI, especially in the South East. Northerners are usually better but I can still ride around the outside of most of them on a touring bike.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is on a massive ego trip. Enjoy. Rolling Eyes

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Any half decently piloted sports bike will leave you standing. I haven't ridden a Diavel, but I know someone with one , so I'll have an ask to play on it, but I very much doubt a 600 would have trouble shaking it. Looks much more like a muscle bike, not a cruiser.

AFWIW, I've passed an R1, on the outside, with my foot out on a Super to KX500. All it means was I caught the guy napping as he flew past me like I was stopped on the next straight. A 75BHP 2T is certainly not as fast as an R1, no matter the power to weight ratio. And neither is a GS.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 23:58 - 06 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
Let's face it, most sports bike owners are ATGANI, especially in the South East. Northerners are usually better but I can still ride around the outside of most of them on a touring bike.

I wear whatevers comfy. I don't aim to come off.

I'm SE, 15 mins from you too if I ride at a sensible pace.

I outrode a group 2 up on a 125, doesn't make me great, makes them cautious. Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 170 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3