Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Have u tried sports bikes & decided they are too fast?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aerodynamics are obviously horrible on an MX bike, and you'd struggle to gear one for even 110mph with the chain run and usable sprocket sizes.

Anyway power to weight is great for low end acceleration superiority, but it's no help at 100mph when air resistance is the enemy, and a 180bhp engine and slippery fairing are a much more worthy opponent. Having a 75bhp, 100kg bike shaped like a tall block of flats isn't going to be comparible or useful.

But I know which one I'd rather be riding, and anyway think of the wheelie potential it's immense and then some!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:17 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gripe with sports bike is not that they're too fast but that they want you to go fast, almost egging you on "give me more, more powahhh" - and without hesitation I give in and then find in myself in triple digits.

Blessing and a curse, fun but... Police

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:45 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
Problem is that only sports bikes actually handle well. You can argue, but you’d be wrong (or slow).

Street Triple RS, 1290 Duke, MT10SP, S1000R, Ducati Streetfighter...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:

Diavel is a cruiser

They call it a cruiser.

Like I could call my hamster a horse, but I'd still struggle riding it.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ridden a "proper" sports bike but everyone I know who has one always complains about comfort rather than the speed.

And I always get the same reaction when they see my bikes: longing for a casual and comfortable bike...

"When I'm old and past it, I'm gonna get a bike like yours." Shocked

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:25 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
everyone I know who has one always complains about comfort rather than the speed

MarJay wrote:
Forced wrote:
Problem is that only sports bikes actually handle well. You can argue, but you’d be wrong (or slow).

Street Triple RS, 1290 Duke, MT10SP, S1000R, Ducati Streetfighter...

This is what I mean about not needing a sports bike to have speed and good handling, and is why we're seeing so many bikes like this. Some of them are really little less than sports bikes with upright bars. You could argue that this riding position doesn't give you the optimum for exploiting what they potentially have, but you couldn't say they don't handle or are slow.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing in this thread I don't like is the cruisers aren't fast bit, well of course they aren't in A-B through the twisties, over bumpy roads etc etc.

But in essence any bike with 100bhp or more is '' open up the throttle and go quickly from low speed to illegal speeds''. I know a 110bhp cruiser at 320kg isn't fast in comparison to a 180bhp 180kg bike, but they are all outright fast enough to get you down the road quickly if you want.

Also it's bollocks those saying that the Ducati Diaval isn't a cruiser style bike. Of course it is, as engine performance doesn't change the class of a bike, like geometry, riding position, ground clearance etc does.

The V-max is also a cruiser too.

A muscle bike has to look something like an XJR1200 or similar with fairly normal geometry and sit up wide flat bars. It's something that a Diaval or V-max etc can never be.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
And I always get the same reaction when they see my bikes: longing for a casual and comfortable bike...

"When I'm old and past it, I'm gonna get a bike like yours." Shocked

Thumbs Down

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode with a cruiser that was decently quick around corners and straights although It had a sports bike engine and was heavily modified. I was thoroughly impressed though, sparks flying everywhere on corners but he had some serious angle, not the typical cruiser slight lean and the pegs are scraping either.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 01:10 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

But in essence any bike with 100bhp or more is '' open up the throttle and go quickly from low speed to illegal speeds''. I know a 110bhp cruiser at 320kg isn't fast in comparison to a 180bhp 180kg bike, but they are all outright fast enough to get you down the road quickly if you want.

While long and low should be good for acceleration - they often seem to be specced with horrible tyres; possibly suspension doesn't help.
That and an engine which actively seems to want you to use the 'slow bit' means that real world they often seem to underperform significantly.
That 'Fat Bob' that apparantly was a modern day 98-R1 in abilities.
A quick google shows a 2017 model making 75hp on the Dyno and weighing in at 305kg.
So you're talking about the power to weight ratio of my RS250... when one power valve was stuck closed. But considerably worse compared to when I got it unstuck.
Or a similar power to weight ratio for a RS125 that's been played with a bit.

(Okay, those figures are for the bike alone - a heavier bike will 'absorb' the rider's weight better.)

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:31 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH the Diavel has a world record for fastest acceleration. The 240 rear tyre probably helps.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Also it's bollocks those saying that the Ducati Diaval isn't a cruiser style bike. Of course it is, as engine performance doesn't change the class of a bike, like geometry, riding position, ground clearance etc does.

It hasn't got forwards for starters.Your own argument is tripping you up mate.
stevo as b4 wrote:
The V-max is also a cruiser too.

The V-Max is the very definition of muscle bike. In fact I'm 99.9% sure a lot of the dead tree rags of the time called the original exactly that.
Undinist wrote:
OTOH the Diavel has a world record for fastest acceleration. The 240 rear tyre probably helps.

No... the Diavel's 0-60 is a hair under 3, an early noughties GSXR1000 is low 2.x's from memory.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all Japanese factory custom bikes have Forwards either, so do you call those muscle bikes too?

The Diaval has a long low wheelbase and fairly raked out forks too. It is no XJR or ZRX and therefore is no muscle bike. OK so the geometry, wheelbase and riding position might put it good for getting off the line, except it like a V-max will spin up the rear tyre instead of getting away quickly. You might say it's more drag bike in influence, but it's too comfy, heavy and well equipped for that too.

Unless a bike has naked road bike geometry, is completely unfaired, and has wide flattish bars it can never be a muscle bike. A Triumph 1050 speed triple is the right shape to be a muscle bike, but a V-max or Diaval is not IMO. Next you'll be saying that a Harley V-rod is a muscle bike too. It's only ever been a cruiser with a 120bhp engine, but as I've said before bhp or size of the back tyre, or the 0-60 acceleration times have nothing whatsoever to do with muscle bikes.

G, I did say that I don't think a 100bhp cruiser is fast in relative terms to a GSXR etc, I know that on a track, corners or against a clock that 100bhp/320kg won't beat 180bhp/180kg bike. But it still stands that any 100bhp is quick enough to get you really moving to illegal speeds without effort, and is real world quick enough to be useful and capable on the road generally.

I still remember seeing a KTM525EXC get annihalated in traffic up to 40-50mph by an 1800cc Suzuki cruiser. It would have been well over 300kg, but away from the lights it would pass all cars and keep up with other bikes up to the 40mph speed limit. I know that these sort of bikes don't encourage riding like that and you'll never be quick across country or round a track, but it still stands that it wasn't slow.

And I know you'll say that a Honda CB500 is also an equally valid traffic destroyer etc, but it's kind of my point that these bikes can be too, and once your past the level of bikes that struggle to keep up/ahead of traffic then it doesn't matter. It's only small capacity machines and learner bikes that can't easily do the above. Everything else it's a non issue.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:45 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, "muscle bikes" need to be just that - you have to be a bit physical with them to get the best out of them. This probably means that they're never going to be as precision a tool as the latest super light sports bike, never going to achieve the most amazing lap times, but they're equally, if not more engaging to ride. Perhaps even daunting for some.

I'm not even sure that anyone makes them anymore. Maybe the GSX1400 was the last of the breed.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:46 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
For me, "muscle bikes" need to be just that - you have to be a bit physical with them to get the best out of them. This probably means that they're never going to be as precision a tool as the latest super light sports bike, never going to achieve the most amazing lap times, but they're equally, if not more engaging to ride. Perhaps even daunting for some.

I'm not even sure that anyone makes them anymore. Maybe the GSX1400 was the last of the breed.

Z900RS.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Z900RS.

Yeah, I can't decide if that fits the type or not. Needs more power!
If I was wealthy enough to have a big collection of bikes, the type would definitely be represented - something brutally tuned for sheer fright value Laughing

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:51 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I win the lottery I'll get someone to build me Z1300 streetfighter.....a frame from Spondon or Moto Martin or Bimota or someone...radiators out of the way to put all the headers on display.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:03 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
When I win the lottery I'll get someone to build me Z1300 streetfighter.....a frame from Spondon or Moto Martin or Bimota or someone...radiators out of the way to put all the headers on display.

Yeah, the Spondon etc thing was moving away from the pure muscle bike thing I think - made to handle (as well as they could with those heavy air cooled engines of the day). The epitome for me was this:

https://i.postimg.cc/Nf10RZHM/spon2.jpg

Bill Hunter's Spondon turbo GSX1100, here set up for the strip, but as I recall, he used it on the road adjusted to suit. Obviously it had a fight in a paint shop Laughing

Moto Martin CBX:

https://i.postimg.cc/QCGh4dLY/Honda-CBX-Moto-Martin.jpg

I think you could say this was where the road going sports bike began, until the manufacturers started to introduce race tech on 2Ts, 4Ts following not long after.
Then of course, they started to pare the weight down, and that's where we started to lose the muscle bike. It's a species of the past, and I'm not sorry we moved on from there, but they still have a certain appeal if you were around at the time I think.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:05 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode sports bikes for a number of years, but after a serious accident made riding one extremely uncomfortable I now ride a sports tourer. And tbh, unless I am on a very twisty road with no other traffic on it, I'm no slower on my ST1100 than I was on my Ducati. Not because my ST1100 is anywhere near as fast as my Ducati, but because on the road I couldn't get anywhere near the limit of the Ducati's power and handling.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:25 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the fastest Ive ever been was about 5-600 miles an hour in a 777 over the pacific. There is virtually no sensation of movement or speed unless there is abit of turbulence.
It's changes of direction or velocity ( that old first law of motion then) that give us a sensation of acceleration we all find so exhilarating and you don't have to be going crazy fast to enjoy that. Sports bikes have been too fast for ages.... Yes I am old,

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:00 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

Like I could call my hamster a horse, but I'd still struggle riding it.

You don't ride a hamster.
If you have a fairly tough cardboard tube lying around, I know of an even better thing to do with them.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there goes the neighbourhood Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original question - kind of -
I figured a GSXR600 was ‘enough’ for the road many years ago. Since then I’ve had another five or six, getting progressively more ‘enough’ and still think it. I’m not dashing back to a 600 though, perhaps I’ve a small cock but there’s no replacement for displacement...

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:45 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last sports bike was a 2012 Fireblade. It made going very very quickly very very easy. It's maybe just an age thing but the normal checks and balances in my riding that have sort of evolved over the decades and kept me alive seemed to be disregarded. It was so easy to ride fast it became worrying. The limits of what it would do were so hard to find that fearing jail or death I sold it. Had I been close to a race track I may have kept it for track days.

My Fireblade had 175bhp which is more than the GP bikes of not that long ago. The latest incarnation has around 215bhp. It really is hard to see how anyone can use all this power and capability on the road.

My bike of choice these days is a 2016 V-Strom 1000. I know, only 100bhp and pot ugly, but it handles well and is ideal for long days on Scottish Highland roads where it's used. I can scratch on it, I can carry a passenger in comfort and I can carry luggage and tour Europe on it. All of this for little over 1/2 the cost of the latest sports bikes.

All of that said, I think modern sports bikes are engineering marvels but IMO they are infinitely more suited to race tracks and those with the skills to do them justice Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 169 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3