Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Have u tried sports bikes & decided they are too fast?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

notbike
Formerly known as
notabikeranymore

PostPosted: 16:42 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

no

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:30 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they fast enough?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Are they fast enough?

Mostly on the road, yes.
Clear empty motorway, never.

They also generally have excellent brakes and handling.

The crop of big nakeds inspired by the Tuono are also too much, but keeps things a bit more sensible on the motorway.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting feck-up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Last edited by chickenstrip on 21:56 - 10 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:54 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Are they fast enough?

Clear empty motorway, never.

What would be fast enough in that instance?
And what is the point of a sports bike on a motorway?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What would be fast enough in that instance?
And what is the point of a sports bike on a motorway?

Hmm, vmax plus 1? Mr. Green
Actually I've never found the top end on any bike >600cc.

But acceleration is never enough.

Sports bike fairings work well at high speed, I also find them fairly comfortable.
Well up until the third fuel stop at least.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 10 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Actually I've never found the top end on any bike >600cc.

Highest I've seen was 180 on the clock of my FZR1000 back in 91. I dunno what it might actually have been doing, but it seemed more than enough to me at the time, and I never repeated the exercise.

Quote:
But acceleration is never enough.

I think most people start to grey out at about 5g or thereabouts (?)
Would that be enough for you?

Quote:
Sports bike fairings work well at high speed, I also find them fairly comfortable.
Well up until the third fuel stop at least.

Motorway is kind of a waste of what they're designed for though, don't you think?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I think most people start to grey out at about 5g or thereabouts (?)
Would that be enough for you?

Once I'd got used to laughing at 3g, I'd want 4g. If I was able to withstand that and hold on tight enough I think I'd always need/want more.

Quote:
Motorway is kind of a waste of what they're designed for though, don't you think?

Thumbs Up I'd much rather be on a fast b road but you're normally on a motorway to get to them.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:35 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

Once I'd got used to laughing at 3g, I'd want 4g. If I was able to withstand that and hold on tight enough I think I'd always need/want more.

Never mind bikes, you should've been a fighter pilot - I suggest you invest in a G suit Laughing

Quote:

Thumbs Up I'd much rather be on a fast b road but you're normally on a motorway to get to them.

Where I did the aforementioned 180 is classified Mr. Green
Actually, I remember it partly cos I wound it on, then tried to tuck behind the screen and couldn't because of the wind blast, so had to ease off the throttle a bit, then tuck down before winding it fully on again Laughing
I usually test out the top end of every bike I get once. I might be inclined to do it more, but I don't have shares in a fuel company Laughing

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 22:53 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw 204 on the clock of my Hayabusa. The radar said it was 186. This was on a runway at a meeting of the 200mph club. The regulars told me it was the typical maximum for a derestricted Busa without engine mods or lowered suspension. To reach this speed the advice was to put your chin on the tank, arch your back to make an egg shape, and put one hand behind your back.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undinist wrote:
I saw 204 on the clock of my Hayabusa. The radar said it was 186. This was on a runway at a meeting of the 200mph club. The regulars told me it was the typical maximum for a derestricted Busa without engine mods or lowered suspension. To reach this speed the advice was to put your chin on the tank, arch your back to make an egg shape, and put one hand behind your back.

Whilst juggling 3 balls with the other hand presumably Laughing
Did they kick you out of the club for not making the grade? Razz

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:13 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many people did hit the magic number! That was years ago when the Busa had no competition. Maybe things are different now. The web site still seems to be going but I can't get on it - maybe it's down for maintenance or something. It's 200mph.org.

There was one guy who could get a Busa with stock internals to 200. He lowered it almost to the ground - which was possible because the runway was exceptionally smooth. He was a tiny shrimp of a guy who wore leathers with no armour. He did lots of prep but he wouldn't give away all the details. We did see him pressing the brake pistons into the caliper before each run to reduce drag.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Never mind bikes, you should've been a fighter pilot - I suggest you invest in a G suit Laughing

These are only horizontal g's, not vertical.
A g-string would be ok Wink

If it was vertical g on a bike I'd be more bothered about the landing.

145 vmax is as far as I've took it, only briefly.
Fear of losing my license was the main reason for stopping short.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:18 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this whole thread is a vehicle for the OP to tell us how much of a man he is with his short circuit racing and 200mph top speed attempts.

It's ok, we all think you are great. You can stop willy waving.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
I rode sports bikes for a number of years, but after a serious accident made riding one extremely uncomfortable I now ride a sports tourer. And tbh, unless I am on a very twisty road with no other traffic on it, I'm no slower on my ST1100 than I was on my Ducati. Not because my ST1100 is anywhere near as fast as my Ducati, but because on the road I couldn't get anywhere near the limit of the Ducati's power and handling.

This. To get anywhere close to the limits of a sportsbike on the roads (at least, UK roads anyway) would need extremely irresponsible riding and probably a deathwish given the number of unknown variables on the public road. That said, I suspect people are happier to push the limits knowing their machine has loads of capability left in reserve (i.e. sportsbikes, vs some other styles) . . . the problem is it'll still be the rider that runs out of ability, not the bike. I suspect that's the case though for virtually any bike on the public road though.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:43 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I shared a bit of my commute with a supermoto.

I heard they're really good urban machines so I followed him for awhile in light to medium traffic.

I gave up after a few miles, not because my bike couldn't keep up, but because I found him to be driving more recklessly than I feel comfortable with on my commute.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:36 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:

I heard they're really good urban machines so I followed him for awhile in light to medium traffic.

I gave up after a few miles ... because (I) .... couldn't keep up

As I've got on about many times before - in really tight traffic sports bikes have the advantage for being narrower.
The frame may be larger, but if the ultimate width issue going between traffic is the bars - and for that sports bikes are often the narrowest.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:

A g-string would be ok Wink

Plain, or round-wound?
Never mind.

Quote:
145 vmax is as far as I've took it, only briefly.
Fear of losing my license was the main reason for stopping short.

So what's the point of a super fast sports bike, on a motorway, if you're scared to use that speed for fear of losing your licence? Wink Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

4g, 5g? All sounds very useful if you're talking about mobile phone/tablet technology, but not so much on a bike.

All this 5G acceleration and V-max+1 on an empty motorway business just sounds very very expensive to me, and a huge waste of fuel and resources once you've spent rediculous money on machinery that is.

I did read a magazine article about a guy who'd built a naked Spondon street fighter thing, with about 305bhp including the Nitrous system. The bloke was a fighter plane pilot so I could almost understand it, but it was still a huge waste of cash and on a bike that was built very much more for function than form.

I personally think that any completely naked bike that can if needed sit at 140mph in any conditions, if the rider could stand the wind blast is more than sufficient or excessive even.

I've done just 90mph on a Trail bike sat bolt upright and it isn't an experience I'd want to have on a regular basis.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:37 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the real truth ever comes into it then most sportsbike owners are on the wrong bike. They bought the bike they wanted & not the bike the needed.

It's called 'Living the Dream'.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely ride my gsxr750 on the road, not because it's 'too fast' more so that's it's not engaging at normal road speeds.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a question of the faster it can go, the faster it can snap knicker elastic?
But once you get beyond a certain age or physical state, you can have a feckin SR71, and those knickers still ain't coming down Laughing

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 17:06 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
If the real truth ever comes into it then most sportsbike owners are on the wrong bike. They bought the bike they wanted & not the bike the needed.

It's called 'Living the Dream'.

I've always hated the Euan and Charlie phenomenon but I suppose they did a lot of bikers a favour by making it cool to buy a big fat tourer.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3