Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Touring & chain maintenance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Touring & chain maintenance Reply with quote

I'll be doing the NC500 this year, which for me includes approximately 600 miles of there and back miles, so roughly 1100 miles in total. It'll be in May so there's unlikely to be any salt on the road, but it's bound to rain for some/most of it, so there's plenty of water and/or grit about. Can I get away with just carrying a tin of lube and keeping it lubed (maybe with a paraffin soaked rag in a plastic bag to wipe it down with after a particularly mucky day?), or do I need to think about faffing around with cleaning stuff too?

Ta.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just give it a spray, no need to worry about scrubbing it clean.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do. After a long day I give the chain a quick spray all over when I'm done and the chain is still warm.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:40 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made sure my chain was cleaned and lubed before my Scotland trips, and did it again when I got home. Was ok.

You can get little cans of chain lube, easy to tuck in somewhere (make sure it's well wrapped up if it's in with other stuff! Embarassed ). Take some old rag, and just give the chain a bit of a wipe before you lube it. Did a thoroughly wet, filthy tour like that, was ok.

A hot, dry tour through Europe was probably harder on the chain, but used same method - was ok Smile

I do always make sure I've got the necessary tools to adjust the chain on long trips.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy yourself a shaftie.... I'm never going back Wink

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all. On the road adjustment shouldn't be an issue; it's a single-side swingarm with a pin-spanner in the toolkit already, not sure if the right tool is there for the pinch bolt but it's tiny compared with the nuts on my previous bikes with double-sided swingarms!

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:08 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Re: Touring & chain maintenance Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I'll be doing the NC500.....Can I get away with just carrying a tin of lube and keeping it lubed...

That will be fine. Every few hundred miles or each full tank of fuel,
more often in heavy rain.

Quote:
or do I need to think about faffing around with cleaning stuff too?

I have never cleaned mine. Currently at 23,000 miles and still
looking nice and clean. I lube it with gear oil once a week
or every tank of petrol.

Inspect the chain and check adjustment before you go.

Enjoy the trip. I was up there last August. 1500 miles
on this trip. Well over 2000 miles on the previous trip
in 2014. No chain adjustment needed.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've only needed to adjust the chain once whilst on tour, but the tools are in the bike's toolkit under the seat anyway, with a few additional bits and bobs. I just think it's worth carrying the necessary if you are on a high mileage trip. If you've just put on a new chain kit, you might need it to take up that initial slack, but otherwise, yeah, probably won't need it.

I had great weather when I did Scotland in May, and again in October, which I was told by locals are probably the best times to consider it. Didn't have to 'argue' with hordes of caravans/campers either, was very quiet on the whole. Hope you get the same Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:27 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just changed my chain and sprockets over the Christmas holidays and it was still pretty good after 38,000 miles of use. All I did was run a drip of some very old Halfords car oil on the inside run of the chain, aiming at the x-rings, whilst the engine was running in first gear and even then only when the chain looked dry. I have never cleaned it, the oil working its way out under centrifugal force keeps it clean. I keep it on the looser end of the chain slack range.

I wouldn't expect to have to adjust a decent O or X ring chain in 1100 miles unless it is on its way out and due for replacement. If I was away for that amount of time and it was rainy season I would take one of those smaller chain sprays like the WD40 ones they sell in Lidl every so often and use that after a rainy day.

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:42 - 02 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

odd spray when its looking shiny

did around 2k miles around france/ spain last May on the Sv and only needed to actually adjust the chain whilst waiting at the port for the ferry back from cherbourg
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 03 Jan 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I had great weather when I did Scotland in May, and again in October, which I was told by locals are probably the best times to consider it. Didn't have to 'argue' with hordes of caravans/campers either, was very quiet on the whole. Hope you get the same Thumbs Up

I have done loads of climbing/outdoorsy stuff in the Highlands and generally prefer April-May time; weather is milder but the annoying crowds (both tourists and midges) haven't got into full swing just yet. Mr. Green
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 86 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1