Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike theft maybe but not sure.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Bike theft maybe but not sure. Reply with quote

So last night my mate advertises his bike CBR for sale. He gets a call and the bloke wants to come over. My mate phones me to come over as well; he's hoping I'm free as he doesn't feel safe as bloke sounds foreign and he don't want to get ripped off.

I get there and shortly afterwards Mr Romanian arrives in a taxi, bike gear on and his 'brother' also suitably attired, my mate explained clearly that a test drive is possible if full asking price is left with him, £800 in this case. Bloke looks over bike with his 'brother', listens to engine, pushes bike against side of house and jumps on to gently test clutch slippage, there was none as bikes all good. Romanian gives my mate £800 and says he is going for test ride. That was at 6pm last night, we waited and waited and he was gone 30 minutes, and waited and waited. Mate of mine well pissed off as he's got things to do and doesn't want to sell the bike to the bloke now as he thinks the bloke is taking the piss. That was last night, bike still not back? mate has the money AND all the documents. WTF! bike has been paid for but what to do now?

Any advice?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:47 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an interesting story.

Owner is going to be liable for the crash damage, killed kittens, shop robbery.

Hopefully copy of licence and insurance was presented before owner willingly let a person ride uninsured. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:49 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report bike stolen, buy beer and weed, win?

Seriously, I'd be updating the police. Who knows what they've been up to on it and unless I'm much mistaken the insurance is still valid. Did you get Id?

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:50 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, sounds like you and your friend will never see the bike again. call the police, give them the reg number. Not likely that you will get the bike back, as probaby going to be used for scrap/mug people on the streets but the police can give you a crime reference number....... then use that number to claim through insurance company Confused

actually can you call the taxi company that they used, they might have in car camera that might have at least caught the face of the people who drove off with the bike?

Last edited by WreckTangle on 16:52 - 07 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Hopefully copy of licence and insurance was presented before owner willingly let a person ride uninsured. Wink

No. We never thought to ask, truth be told my mate needed the money and asked no questions, I was just there as support. Neither of us asked for anything, he took the money and put it straight into his pocket after checking it was legit with a counterfeit detector pen.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
Did you get Id?

We never thought to as the bloke had the cash. He was going to fill the logbook in when he got back, he's moved recently to cheaper rented accommodation and the log book is one of those new ones that does not require signatures, he notified DVLA of change of address on his old V5 and when the new document came back, there was no previous keeper details on the front and no place for signatures on the new document.

piazza
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:54 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

He gets to keep the £50 deposit, right? Shifty

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:00 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notify your insurance company that the bike is no longer in possession.

Get the notes checked by a bank.

Report the bike theft to the police.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:12 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

piazza wrote:
He gets to keep the £50 deposit, right? Shifty

£50? the blokes paid for the bike in full, £800.

The taxi company is a starting point. Maybe they will come back later for documents? maybe that is what they do in Romania? the Police is next point of call, need to speak to mate as now worried he may be in trouble for letting an uninsured bloke ride his bike? (assuming uninsured)?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:14 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the money to see if it's counterfeit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:18 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

We did last night, striped it with a money detector pen, no stain means all is good. Every note as well, all 40 of them, this is before they tootled off down the road.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:20 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
MarJay wrote:

We did last night, striped it with a money detector pen, no stain means all is good. Every note as well, all 40 of them, this is before they tootled off down the road.

I'd bank check them. I never accept cash now unless its over the counter. Partner works in a shop, £20 notes get rejected by banks even after passing pen tests...

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

I'd bank check them. I never accept cash now unless its over the counter. Partner works in a shop, £20 notes get rejected by banks even after passing pen tests...

Oh, I thought the pen test was the be all and end all, that is worrying. Thanks for the heads up.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:49 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
the Police is next point of call, need to speak to mate as now worried he may be in trouble for letting an uninsured bloke ride his bike? (assuming uninsured)?

I thought the guy said he was covered on other bikes?

I'm not really sure if the bike counts as being sold or stolen or taken without the owners consent but as something is dodgy or not quite right I'd say he needs to tell the police about it and get a reference number just so he's covered his back in case the something dodgy turns out to be seriously dodgy. Laughing

I'm less sure of how to report it to his insurance company in a way that isn't admitting to maybe having had a vehicle stolen or taken without his consent. The insurance do need to know that he doesn't have the bike any more as they're the ones currently insuring it.

King29 wrote:
WTF! bike has been paid for but what to do now?

The deposit for test riding the bike has been paid. Wink

Probably a stupid suggestion but have a look at local news websites to see if there's anything about the bike being crashed last night.

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've been gone (20 minutes or so), I've been to see my mate he lives in the next street. We've took a note into local shop and they accepted it. This is good news as Asian shop keepers tend to know if a note is bent or not. I've suggested just registering it to an empty house and saying that's the address the buyer gave. You just register it online from 7am to 7pm 7 days a week. The guy said his name was Alex. So register it to Alex (insert Romanian surname) and use an empty address.

Sounds good to me.

Ste wrote:

Probably a stupid suggestion but have a look at local news websites to see if there's anything about the bike being crashed last night.

Never thought about that.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

Never thought about that.[/quote]

Or just tell DVLA that it is sold nad the buyer forgot to fill in the log book in their excitment but regardless you no longer own the bike. Makes things easy if the Police turn up or the buyer does, you can then hand over the new keepers part of the log book.

Why lie when the truth works?

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point sickpup. I'll advise him to do that.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Since I've been gone (20 minutes or so), I've been to see my mate he lives in the next street. We've took a note into local shop and they accepted it. This is good news as Asian shop keepers tend to know if a note is bent or not.

I'm not sure you can rely on that - they've probably got some basic UV scanner under the counter and check for just one or two things on the note. Maybe look at those notes again, take them to a bank and deposit the money into your account. The reason I say this is, the "buyer", even if he was an undocumented criminal off-the-radar type, had no reason to skip with the bike without coming back to register it in whoever's name he wanted. If he'd crashed the bike, he or his "brother" could have called your friend and explained what happened, and still come back to get the signed V5 (in anyone's name he wanted). I suspect some kind of nefarious purpose. It's either the banknotes, or the bike has been used to facilitate a crime (as it wouldn't have triggered ANPR while you thought it was being "tested").

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, possibilities are:

The money is fake.
The money is genuine but they did intend to rob your mate but as you were there they had second thoughts... and then rode off all embarrassed (okay, unlikely but it's a possibility!)
They are up to no good.
They are thick.

Seriously, it could be the last one. If they're not familiar with V5 documents or they assume they don't apply to bikes (or 125s?)

Remote possibility: shit went down (e.g. wife pregnant and dropping a baby and then had to rush back.) TBH you'd think you'd hear from them after a few days!

Clearly what should have been done is report the bike stolen to the police and the insurance company and say nothing about the cash Twisted Evil

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:39 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My query would be how do you manage to get so much drama in your life. Laughing

King29
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 07 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
My query would be how do you manage to get so much drama in your life. Laughing

7th son of a 7th son, probably. I don't know, my wife has aged more than she probably should have being married to me.

On a serious note, I am worried for my mate. He is in turmoil, he has 'form' with the Police, however; nothing recent. If they do a search on his name it'll come back with a drink driving and knowingly buying stolen goods. This was many years ago when he was a student. He does not want Police intervention but needs must.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:12 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

To confirm that the money is legit he needs to take it to a bank.

Chances are it will be completely fine and the buyer just wasn't clever enough to know that after a test ride they should get the paperwork and spare key from the seller rather than just heading home. Laughing

As long as the money is all genuine then the rest of it doesn't really matter. The buyer might contact your mate at some point to ask about the paperwork and any spare keys but if they don't then that's their problem. If the money is dodgy then the bike has been stolen or taken without the owners consent which is what he wants / needs to know.

I agree with what sickpup says about telling the DVLA the truth rather than registering it to some random address. Your mate hasn't done anything wrong so he should stick 100% to the truth.

There's something not quite right about it all. Confused Reporting it to the police means that he avoids the situation of the police telling him that they've found his and what the rider was doing at the time and asking where your mate was at that particular time. It's unlikely but not impossible that the bike has been used in a shooting which is the type of thing the send armed police to his address to have a friendly chat about the bike.

Get a bank to check the money is real. Tell the DVLA that he's no longer got the bike. Tell the police what's happened so that he's covered his back. Your mate hasn't done anything wrong so the complete truth is the easiest version of events to tell Thumbs Up

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste has it all covered.
To me it sounds like the buyers live their lives off the radar so to speak - likely buying cars from scrap yards and driving uninsured etc - we've seen that on motorway cops tv programs.
The strangest part to me is how much cash they paid for something they're likely not going to insure etc. Lack of experience with the Pound would explain that.

I'm pleased I don't live where you do. Far too much drama for my gentle frame. (still funny though!)

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:22 - 08 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

King29 wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Oh, I thought the pen test was the be all and end all, that is worrying. Thanks for the heads up.
Whistle Hair spray.... allegedly Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2