Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Election 2019

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  
Diggs This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
- This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

People need to have it drummed into them that the sole purpose of a human being in society it to work. Either that or we go all Soviet Union and make being unemployed a criminal offence.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have kids, nor have you spent years doing the 'school run'. This is obvious.

There are always some who take their kids to school in cars, particularly infants and juniors, and schools actively discourage this by making it hard to park nearby by requesting TROs on adjacent streets. Don't make the mistake of thinking that the whole reason roads are quieter during school holidays is because kids aren't being driven to school - much of it has to do with the fact that parents take time off to look after their kids.

Unless you are talking about an isolated school or a particularly posh one, the reality is that most kids either walk or get the bus. Not many cycle these days because the roads are too busy.

I am very happy to hear that you had a paper-round and that you worked in a hotel kitchen. Thumbs Up
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:40 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbf to MPD he is correct.

I can only speak for my area - not a national level. But although a large quantity of high school kids do walk to school (mine included ) - there is also an equal (if not greater) percentage that get dropped off.

And they don't do the whole parking up thing. They just stop and let them out - and to hell with whoever is behind them.

I also agree that the loss of traffic during half term is a combination of them not being there and parents WFH or staying off during this time.

I kid you not, I saw one mum spend 5 minutes waiting for a gap to reverse out of her drive, to then drive the 500 yards to the school and drop the kid off. Just so she could leave for work straight away instead of walking back first.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The school on our estate is a nightmare at picking up time (I can't say about morning, I'm not usually up then Thumbs Up ).

The mothers park every and anywhere. Doublr yellows, Zig zags by crossings, double park etc. Say anything and you get the 'I'm picking up my kids, I have rights' Rolling Eyes

Do not go near black women driving people carriers, they have no spacial awareness and obviously learnt to drive in Lagos. Shocked

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

How do your kids get to school?

Mine walked with me when they were little. By Year 4 they wouldn't be seen dead walking with a parent so they made their own way.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:22 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

How do your kids get to school?

Mine walked with me when they were little. By Year 4 they wouldn't be seen dead walking with a parent so they made their own way.

How old is year 4? I'm totally confused with the modern way of counting. Year 4 senior school when I was a kid was 15. I was in Merchant navy school by then.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying for a minute that there aren't gangs of parents clogging up the road outside schools when dropping off their little darlings in the morning. It only takes a small percentage of the overall school population to make a major impact on the highway. What I am saying is that in my experience this is a minority and that the majority either walk or catch the bus. Likewise it only takes a few cars stopped by a school to bring traffic to a grinding halt. Doesn't mean that all parents do it...

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:26 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

Cycle, walk?

One flew, one went by submarine and the other teleported...

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

Cycle, walk?

Cool, I bet they were the most popular kids at school!

Mine had to walk from the shoe box we lived in in the middle of t' road and leave the day after yesterday to get to school on time to get the cane for not being late ............

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Diggs wrote:

Car then. Thought so.

I know you are out of touch with what kids get up to nowadays, but surely even you must appreciate that kids in Year 4 (9 year olds) aren't allowed to drive Laughing Laughing Laughing

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
the number bring driven is often completely unnecessary and down to laziness.

I agree entirely, but that wasn't your point. What you said was that

'This is the generation who get driven to school in Chelsea tractors'

...which is misrepresenting what actually happens.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:11 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

We're back to the old lefty defence of Islam, with the "not all Muslims" analogy. It may not be all, but the vast majority of child bowling up terrorists and child raping sex grooming gang members in the country are Muslim, mainly Pakistani men.
I see that as an inherent issue with the culture of that minority group. You see it as a reason to defend those not involved, whilst ignoring those who are the problem.

How the fuck did you get to this in a discussion about parents driving their kids to school?

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
mpd72 wrote:

We're back to the old lefty defence of Islam, with the "not all Muslims" analogy. It may not be all, but the vast majority of child bowling up terrorists and child raping sex grooming gang members in the country are Muslim, mainly Pakistani men.
I see that as an inherent issue with the culture of that minority group. You see it as a reason to defend those not involved, whilst ignoring those who are the problem.

How the fuck did you get to this in a discussion about parents driving their kids to school?

The man is a genius!!!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:18 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical facist attempt to move a topic to their agenda.

Anyway, where I work there is a dedicated car park (or three) for the 12 thousand odd people who work there.

Funnily enough the carparks are less full to bursting during school holidays. This implies to me that the reason the cars are off the roads is because parents are staying home to look after their offspring.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Mine had to walk from the shoe box we lived in in the middle of t' road and leave the day after yesterday to get to school on time to get the cane for not being late ............

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2