PostPosted: 22:17 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
A raiplan will save your life in wet weather by giving you clear vison

so will attaching a jpg. of nobcat ..

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:40 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
i`m guessing its fitted with a prefocus 35w/35w bulb .. if so try this as an upgrade .. https://www.amazon.co.uk/HALOGEN-HEADLIGHT-HEADLAMP-BULB-P3604H/dp/B015ZOXYP8

should be a straight swap ... but put the original back for mot time..

This is coming up as a halogen bulb on my phone is that right?

Current bulb is HS1 35w/35w. I’m assuming I’d want an led with the same wattage but would have to be H4 from what I’ve read.

Is that going to work? I’ve just got the one headlight bulb on my scoot so will the eBay ones do hi and low beam? There are some for a fiver that don’t convince me and some for £15-20 that I’m worried might draw too much power.

The bike last night was loads better, I could see better and it didn’t hurt that I was going much slower, I might end up cycling whenever the weather is shitty.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post a picture of the headlamps form the front, and the bulb connectors on the back. It'll make the advice you're getting a bit more tailored.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the bulbs I put into a projector headlamp on a car. They seem work well. They were around £25 when they were available.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FBKJH8R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the Daymaker knock off I put on my Triumph.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G972T2M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt any aftermarket LED bulb would really give you much benefit; more likely to blind oncoming vehicles so will possibly raise your overall risk of an incident.

Making sure your headlights are sparkly clean and a good halogen bulb (not a blue-tinted one) would be the easiest 1st step to improvement. A good halogen bulb is probably about £10. Research should help you find which one. Don't replace with a higher wattage - you'll "test" your wiring, possibly melt your lens and a whole load of other issues. You might be fine of course . . . but the chances are the issue will manifest itself when you least want it to.

Going back to the daybreaker-copy idea; I love the concept, but I can't bring myself to trust knock-off electronics on something as critical as a headlight; my experience of cheapo electronics is they fail prematurely - if this happened with the (single) headlight on a motorcycle, at speed and at night, it'd be terrifying. At least halogens are pretty reliable - worst case you can switch to high beam temporarily.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:10 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get H4 replacement LED bulbs. I have one on my 612 bullet. It's brighter than a 55/55w halogen. Was not cheap! (about £45).

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
You get H4 replacement LED bulbs. I have one on my 612 bullet. It's brighter than a 55/55w halogen. Was not cheap! (about £45).

I'd be surprised if the light pattern is perfect - it might offer more lumens but not necessarily where you want them? From a legality perspective (although obviously everyone is entitled to do as they please), to my knowledge it's impossible to get a type-approved LED replacement bulb for a lamp designed for an incandescent bulb.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:55 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update-

I fitted one of these today - H4 Led Motorcycle Headlight Bulb... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WGZVDBL?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

It was a revelation coming across the unlit part of my commute home, the beam pattern was spot on with a really defined cut off at around bonnet level of oncoming cars and well below the rear window line.

We’ll have to see how it goes longevity wise, it’s a sturdy thing though so fingers crossed. Installation was a simple swap, I’ve not bothered modding the current because I really don’t want to put too much effort into my scooter because it’s crap. That said, I see no desperate reason to get shot of it now until I get my full licence.

Now the only issue I have is keeping my visor anything resembling clear when it’s light rain, Misty or road spray, any tips?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
Now the only issue I have is keeping my visor anything resembling clear when it’s light rain, Misty or road spray, any tips?

Device-wise, Visorcat or Wipey. We're not allowed to make a third recommendation even if it existed. Shame really. Turning your head or wiping with a finger works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Device-wise, Visorcat or Wipey. We're not allowed to make a third recommendation even if it existed. Shame really. Turning your head or wiping with a finger works for me.

Oh, no devices please, I hunted round for that thread, it appears to have been obliterated Laughing

The head turn works ok at speed and in heavy rain, but my shitty scoot doesn’t do high speed and the weather is just annoying spray all the time, is rain x any good? Should I get shot of my pin lock? Will I just get used to it

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:
The head turn works ok at speed and in heavy rain, but my shitty scoot doesn’t do high speed and the weather is just annoying spray all the time, is rain x any good? Should I get shot of my pin lock? Will I just get used to it

Hmm, your pin-lock isn't anything to do with preventing rain, that just stops the vior from misting up (unless you've got it fitted on the outside...? Shocked )

Personally I swear by Bob Heath Vee Wipes, which basically equip your left index finger with a squeegee (some gloves have them built in):
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223470504567. Available in three sizes for different gloves; they work brilliantly (provided there's some moisture on your visor and not just dry crap)

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:24 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
We're not allowed to make a third recommendation even if it existed

Rogerborg would.
And you should as well.
I know we're not allowed but an unhappy Aarons would be funny.
Now is the right time for lulz.
Please help provoke him into suing someone
And I might contribute towards your legal bill.
Lately the mods have been letting their guard down anyway.

I don't think they're expecting anyone to still be going on about such things.
So it's worth a go and see what happens.

After all, it's nearly Christmas and everyone deserves a wiper on their visor for Christmas..

Suppose BCF did get incoming legals from Legal Aarons.
Corn might be unhappy.
As long as Google don't remove their adverts from here then would he really care?
Me thinks not.

Wink

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Wipey

Shocked

I remember that thing!!! Let's see if they're made any progress yet...

Their Indiegogo page still says "One day left before prices go up" and their facebook page says things like "we have some time issues with our outsourcing partners".

Prawny wrote:
Will I just get used to it

Yup, until you die. Interior fogging will be listed on your death certificate as the cause of your death. Dibs on your stuff.

2ml of liquid provides a clean visor and each one touch 2ml spray ejects.

Kawasaki you fucking piece of spider bite shit Jimbo wrote:
wiping with a finger works for me

This is nearly 2020 Goodbye Wiper gloves.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to know the circumstances of Rogerborg and Cansa's forum demise before I said 'Rainpal' three times. AA might have been our dreadfully misunderstood saviour. Sadly it looks like we'll never know, although strangely I continue to ride in the rain and live.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:01 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a little side by side video to show the difference between
the original bulb and the LED from amazon, its only on a go pro so it's darker than real life but it really shows the difference.

https://youtu.be/-QDsopOU58s

If anyone is interested.

It's certainly made me more comfortable riding at night and I'm not concerned that motorbike headlights aren't all crap.

Happy days
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 142 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2