Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Netflix

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:20 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Netflix Reply with quote

How does this work? I'll be looking for some sort of usb stick to stick in the tv but I'm far to old, tired and stupid to work out how it works.

Do I need a seperate subscription on top of the stick?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:29 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Netflix Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
How does this work? I'll be looking for some sort of usb stick to stick in the tv but I'm far to old, tired and stupid to work out how it works.

Do I need a seperate subscription on top of the stick?

Oh yeah, you just buy a USB* memory* stick* and then Mr Netflix* allows you to consume all his content for absolutely no* charge

*wrong.

Nope, you can buy an Amazon fire stick or similar (HDMI connection NOT USB), or a Blu Ray player with 'smart' features, or a smart TV, or some phones can cast video to your TV (usually has to be a smart TV though). There are loads of ways of doing it. You need to pay a monthly subscription to Netflix which I think for me is about a tenner a month.

We have a Sony Blu Ray player that came with an Amazon prime and Netflix app, and then you just log into it using your netflix account and you can watch whatever is on netflix for free (beyond the aforementioned monthly subscription). It's better than Prime in many ways as much of what is on prime is extra cost.

Or you can just watch it on your laptop through the netflix website if you have a subscription. Maybe connect the laptop to the TV?

Tonnes of ways to do it anyway, but it all involves a subscription to Netflix.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:39 - 09 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers,that's what I thought.

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look on Ebay for an older style Amazon fire stick (the one without the volume control on the remote). They used to be £25 but now a newer one has come out and they're more like £40. The fire sticks are by far the best, I've tried android boxes which were ~£30 and most are slow as fuck. The Fire stick is very nippy, and the remote is bluetooth so works well if you have no line of sight to the stick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baffler186 wrote:
I'd look on Ebay for an older style Amazon fire stick (the one without the volume control on the remote). They used to be £25 but now a newer one has come out and they're more like £40. The fire sticks are by far the best, I've tried android boxes which were ~£30 and most are slow as fuck. The Fire stick is very nippy, and the remote is bluetooth so works well if you have no line of sight to the stick

4k fire stick £29.99 at the moment from Amazon.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Friday is just around the corner, and Amazon usually do various deals on their Amazon branded stuff.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:34 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Baffler186 wrote:
The fire sticks are by far the best, I've tried android boxes which were ~£30 and most are slow as fuck. The Fire stick is very nippy, and the remote is bluetooth so works well if you have no line of sight to the stick
4k fire stick £29.99 at the moment from Amazon.

Hmm, you sure about that!??

I agree that Firesticks are a good bet (I have the old one too) - another nice feature is that you can take it with you to another location and just plug it in the telly (even abroad), and apart from logging on to the local wifi it's all set up and ready to roll (ie it's logged in to your Netflix account and knows where you're up to in all your TV series)

hedgehugger wrote:
Black Friday is just around the corner, and Amazon usually do various deals on their Amazon branded stuff.

Yes indeed, Firesticks are always reduced on Black Friday.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
]4k fire stick £29.99 at the moment from Amazon.

Hmm, you sure about that!??

Ah, only if you order through Alexa. Sorry. I presume you have to be a Prime member.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Friday price for a firestick is £19.99
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to say, for TV series Netflix is pretty good, but their film selection is pretty average at best and things come and go too, so if you spot something you want to watch, I'd suggest watching it sooner rather than later as it can vanish. I think they have a list somewhere of stuff that's coming on soon and stuff that's going.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:29 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Was going to say, for TV series Netflix is pretty good, but their film selection is pretty average at best and things come and go too, so if you spot something you want to watch, I'd suggest watching it sooner rather than later as it can vanish. I think they have a list somewhere of stuff that's coming on soon and stuff that's going.

Pretty much the same with Prime but I prefer the Prime TV to Netflix and the Netflix movie choices to Prime.

I'm trying to decide whether to get Netflix as well as Prime, whether it's worth it. £9 a month isn't bad but I'm not sure I'll get the use out of it. (I have Amazon Prime for the delivery so Prime video is a plus I regard pretty well as free.)

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like Netflix, its introduced me to a lot of good films I wouldn't have normally noticed.
I think the first thing we watched on it was Breaking Bad.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Black Friday price for a firestick is £19.99

Other half picked one up today for that price,as we're both getting annoyed by the glitchiness of our ageing smart TV.

it's a nice little straightforward piece of kit, I'm particularly impressed with the nippiness of the GUI.

ಠ_ಠ
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1