Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Documentation/Administration Fees

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:25 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link?
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:29 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, ask to buy it without the £99 extra fee.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Link?

https://www.superbikefactory.co.uk/ is an example. They won't haggle at all IME

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:14 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selling on behalf of a customer, perhaps?

Quote:
There is an additional charge of £99 to cover documentation and facility fees.

Does eBay allow that? Might be worth asking them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:49 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same for every bike on their website.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:16 - 11 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ste wrote:
Link?

I dropped then £700 on my GSXR, wasn't an issue really... I pointed them to a cheaper one, but they want the money Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Documentation/Administration Fees Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
Been looking at buying another bike the last few weeks and have noticed that amount of dealer adverts that slip in a fee on top of the price.
I mean, you want to buy a bike with no trade in and no finance yet they have the audacity to ask you for more to facilitate the sale? £99 right up to £199 for what exactly?
So you're paying to pay for it? Are these fees justified as I'd rather they included the whole thing so the price you see is the price you pay.

Anyone else irked by this? It kinda sours an otherwise attractive advert.

If you ask the dealer, I'm sure they will tell you what the charge is for - my guess would be the cost of the PDI, admin charge for registering/licencing and cleaning to a reasonable standard.

Back when I started selling cars in the mid 80s, we were allowed to charge 'on the road' costs, which included all of that, plus RFL and a sizeable profit margin, but it was all pretty nebulous and could include anything you felt like; typically it was £3-500 (back when you could put a brand new Metro on the road for under 4 grand, so a significant proportion of the total cost) and it varied wildly from dealer to dealer.

Things are bit more under control now and labour rates are a tad higher - £1-200 covers a couple of hours work, plus some reconditioning costs, which may or may not be needed (win some, lose some) but I am only guessing.

As I say, ask.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:43 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can aye just buy from a shower of cunts who do not itemise their costs and hump it into the GT.

It's not like you owe them anyfink. Yet. Rolling Eyes

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:45 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Admin charges" are pretty much 100% not legal (see https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/used-car-admin-fees-should-i-pay-them/n18825 ) - the price on the sticker should be the total price, which should include all their costs for paperwork, staff, cleaning, etc... you don't get to the checkout at Sainsburys to find they're adding £10 for keeping the floors clean and giving you a paper receipt...

Nobody seems to care about this utter rip-off con though, so your only real option is to walk away and let them know why. Doubtless, like me, you will be "the only person" who has ever done so.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:37 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing in there about legality, just a gentleman's agreement amongst those who have signed up to it.

The stuff they are supposedly charging for now is stuff that used to just get done and was part of the buying price. Now they are stripping out these things in order to lower the sticker price, but then slapping it in the mouse script. It's like eBay listings with a low price but high P&P.

As always though, caveat emptor. Read everything carefully. Haggle and when things don't go your way, feel free to take your money elsewhere.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:48 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Ste wrote:
Link?

This is the sort of place that isn't selling bikes , it's selling MONEY. Of course they have thousands of bikes, they are all so over priced, once you add in all the extras, no one in their right mind would actually buy one for cash.... Does anyone actually walk in with 10 grand in their back pocket , no. So it's all about credit . What is the actual cash price anyway? The give away? The headline " Struggling for credit" of course you are , and can't live without a bike , even though it's November. It all looks so good on paper , you'll be stitched up like a kipper before you actually sit down and think about how much you will be paying over the term of the loan. I suspect that they have moved to Macclesfield ' cos there's always bikes around the area what with the 'Cat and Fiddle', Industrial units probably quite cheap too. Another give away , the Directors previously traded as ' 123 car finance ltd'- bikes are obviously more profitable?....

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do it at Car Giant too. Bought a Mini for the (ex) wife there. Decent price even with the farcical 'admin' charge. What galled me more was having to sit through there shit presentation on warranty and paint treatment options. I sat for a about 45 mins repeatedly saying.. 'No, I just want the car'... I got it, eventually.
What a place though - literally a sales production line. You are even given an appointment time to collect your car.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Last edited by A100man on 23:58 - 12 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:33 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word on extended warranties.

We got bait and switched recently on a car extended warranty. The Mrs liked the idea of an extended warranty and all the documentation they showed us was by a third party, accredited provider. We checked them out online before agreeing to it.

When the paperwork came through, they'd substituted their "own" in-house extended warranty with a similar sounding name and logo which among other things stipulated they had to do all the work and any routine servicing in their own workshop. Given they are 200 miles from home and twice failed to properly balance the wheels, not an option.

A carefully worded letter ("mis-selling" was the main word, used repeatedly) saw the originally agreed warranty documents arrive through the post.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:57 - 12 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
you don't get to the checkout at Sainsburys to find they're adding £10 for keeping the floors clean and giving you a paper receipt...

Gig tickets you get just that - well, you can get, all additional to the advertised price for the event - processing fee, ticket cost (even if e-ticket) and venue restoration fee.

Now; I get it, the band aren't getting any of those extras. But as you say - it's not like you go to Tesco and find you have to pay 10% extra as a fee for paying them, then some more to fix the old lights in the toilets and finally some extra because Tesco are sub contracting out their till system.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:17 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ticket extras bug the hell out of me.

I go to the theatre in MK quite regularly. If I buy tickets on line from ATG (The Ambassador Theatre Group so not even a client ticket site) there are all these extras admin fees and whatever. Yet if I go into the theatre, where a nice girl serves me from behind a desk, I don't pay anything extra.

You would think they would rather encourage you to use the online buying rather than pay said girl to sit behind her desk on the off chance someone will come in to buy a ticket.

Grrrrrr! Evil or Very Mad

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:43 - 13 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
There's nothing in there about legality, just a gentleman's agreement amongst those who have signed up to it.

" it's contravening the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008, because doing so is classed as a ‘misleading action’. "

The name of the Regs sums it up, pretty much.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:04 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

defblade wrote:
"Admin charges" are pretty much 100% not legal (see https://www.whatcar.com/advice/buying/used-car-admin-fees-should-i-pay-them/n18825 ) - the price on the sticker should be the total price, which should include all their costs for paperwork, staff, cleaning, etc... you don't get to the checkout at Sainsburys to find they're adding £10 for keeping the floors clean and giving you a paper receipt...

Nobody seems to care about this utter rip-off con though, so your only real option is to walk away and let them know why. Doubtless, like me, you will be "the only person" who has ever done so.

It sounds like they're avoiding eBay fees by adding a payment surcharge.

eBay don't like it when people try to avoid paying fees.

https://ocswf.ebay.co.uk/rti/compose?items=254417920528&seller=westcoastmotogb

tl;dr Thank you for taking the time to submit this report
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 163 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1