Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

When is the right time to replace your bike ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Darkzentai
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:37 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: When is the right time to replace your bike ? Reply with quote

I currently own a Honda S wing 125 with L plates and I’m thinking of replacing it with a Honda PCX,Yamaha NMAX or Yamaha tricity.

My S wing is about 5 1/2 years old Except for normal wear its transmission replaced has started to get fuel injection lights coming on but have ended up being false readings And is probably due to have the exhaust replaced because it still on the original exhaust.

When is the best time to replace your bike ?

Other bike recommendations are welcome I’m still on a provisional license after 20 years so nothing bigger than a 125cc automatics.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:55 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: When is the right time to replace your bike ? Reply with quote

Darkzentai wrote:
I currently own a Honda S wing 125 with L plates and I’m thinking of replacing it with a Honda PCX,Yamaha NMAX or Yamaha tricity.

My S wing is about 5 1/2 years old Except for normal wear its transmission replaced has started to get fuel injection lights coming on but have ended up being false readings And is probably due to have the exhaust replaced because it still on the original exhaust.

When is the best time to replace your bike ?

Other bike recommendations are welcome I’m still on a provisional license after 20 years so nothing bigger than a 125cc automatics.

The best time to get a new bike is when you grow some balls and take your test. Even if you are actually a woman.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:18 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years on provisional Shocked

you must now be fed up now of doing the same repetitive cbt courses every two years!!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it fairly obvious?

When the yearly spend on servicing, parts, MOT work, and consumables like tyres, batteries, bulbs etc etc noticeably excceds the used market value?

Is it still reliable, has it ever let you down? Have you got any expensive bits that need replacing for the next MOT? What's the general condition like? Are there bits falling off and all taped together, or is it good for its age and in good general condition?

Then there's desirability to theives to think about, and insurance on a new machine. What would it cost to replace with a new or newer bike?

The right time to change a vehicle for you and your needs often presents itself. But there are a few (minority of people) that would argue that running an old vehicle into the ground until its only fit for scrap is their best option.

Personally if I was daily commuting to a place of work with pretty strict times or reasons to be on time, then I'd want something reliable and as hassle free as possible. If that means a new bike every 5years or thereabouts then that's what I would do.

Oh yeah:

And pass your fucking test now. Your throwing money away constantly and your insurance premiums are likely to be higher on a provisional licence. I don't want to know what that adds up to over 20years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:41 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years? So you've had to do your CBT 10 times which is such a waste of money!!

Stop wobbling around with Loser plates on your bike / ped.

Be a man and do your test.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:49 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Your throwing money away constantly and your insurance premiums are likely to be higher on a provisional licence. I don't want to know what that adds up to over 20years.

It adds up to potato.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:05 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace the "bike" when you're bored of it, it's costing too much to service, you get a new job, you lose your leg jumping off the wardrobe in an unfortunate sex-game accident....

"How long is a piece of string?"

20 years on a provisional. Better to replace the rider than the bike Laughing

Darkzentai
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:33 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
20 years? So you've had to do your CBT 10 times which is such a waste of money!!

Stop wobbling around with Loser plates on your bike / ped.

Be a man and do your test.

Thank you for the advice
20 years of L plates and not one accident or insurance claim.
personally I think people should be forced to take CBTs Even if you have passed your test or not.
I work in a petrol station and the amount of bikers who can’t get the basics of watching where they are going so they don’t slip over on that patch of diesel or sand is staggering.

Or come riding in on a 1500cc plus bike with a pudding bowl on their head.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:02 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 years with no accidents or insurance claims must mean you're not doing anything too badly wrong so why have you done your CBT ten times rather than doing the full license test once? Serious question, there must be a reason why you've chosen to spend more time and more money to renew your CBT than would be required to get your full license.

The idea of people being forced to take CBTs after passing their test doesn't make much sense. If you're going to make people retake something, it should be the full license test rather than the CBT.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you think you're a better rider than a 'staggering' number of riders you see, despite not having passed your test, and you believe a CBT is more rigorous than the full licence tests, and for those reasons, you yourself eschew getting a full licence, and you think full licence holders should have to keep doing periodic CBTs? And now you're looking forward to buying a new 125 automatic scooter, as befits a superior rider?

Seems a bit odd.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:40 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkzentai wrote:

Thank you for the advice
personally I think people should be forced to take CBTs Even if you have passed your test or not.
I work in a petrol station and the amount of bikers who can’t get the basics of watching where they are going so they don’t slip over on that patch of diesel or sand is staggering.

That doesn't tell you a lot about their actual skill. Seems pretty judgy from someone who won't even take the plunge and get a big boy license to be honest.

Go and do your full test, then judge away I reckon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:25 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You replace your bike when it reaches a point where it is costing too much to keep on the road, when you can't trust it to work when you need it, when you're bored of it or when you're no longer scared of it and start taking liberties that will land up as a huge crash.

I've replaced bikes for all those reasons.

Darkzentai
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:46 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Darkzentai wrote:

Thank you for the advice

That doesn't tell you a lot about their actual skill. Seems pretty judgy from someone who won't even take the plunge and get a big boy license to be honest.

Go and do your full test, then judge away I reckon.

All I can say is I came to the group asking for help and all I found was mostly a bunch of twats picking fun at my L plate .

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:01 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should get rid of your Loser plates.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:11 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkzentai wrote:

Even a cursory glance of the forum before joining would indicate no surfeit of shame Smile

Darkzentai
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:54 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Darkzentai wrote:

Even a cursory glance of the forum before joining would indicate no surfeit of shame Smile
I suppose that’s true it’s probably best I bow out and leave you all to it whatever it is you do?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:17 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, that's not the spirit.

You need to insult a couple of regular users before you flounce.

No body has insulted or belittled you about your L plates. We've just given you the benefit of our experience and you should feel free to take it onboard or ignore as you wish.

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:20 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkzentai wrote:
suppose that’s true it’s probably best I bow out and leave you all to it whatever it is you do?

We don't pretend to be learners for 20 years.

ಠ_ಠ

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:39 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkzentai wrote:
I suppose that’s true it’s probably best I bow out and leave you all to it whatever it is you do?

You've got arsey because you don't like the answer we've given.

Renewing your CBT certificate ten times is completely crazy. I think BCF has been relatively tame with the replies in this thread.

Is there a reason you haven't done your test?

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see why you wouldnt at least take your 125 down to the test center and get your A1 license so you can stop wasting money on the cbt?

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:51 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the original question I’d say much of the depends how you see your bike. Is a tool simply to do a job or something you enjoy riding? I like cars and bikes, I swap them often (often on a whim!) whereas my mate regards them purely as a tool to do a job. He’s had his current car for eight years and as it’s currently running well is in hurry to swap.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an odd OP eh?

I feel a bit cheated tbh, as I'd have really liked him to say, '' I've taken a CBT 5times or more instead of passing a bike test because of X. ''

He's left without an explanation and little simple minds like mine are not happy to not have closure or be put to rest before he left us for greater things.

I hope he's happy with the mental trauma he's caused? Laughing

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to think of garages around here where an old grumpy fart rides a bike on L plates and has done for 20 years and who laughs at bikers slipping on oil spills they've failed to wipe up..

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:54 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: When is the right time to replace your bike ? Reply with quote

'Replace'?
Sorry does not compute! I have had my Montesa Cota since 1985, and have never had any plan to 'replace' it, or other bikes... 'augment' maybe.... but... bisto 'Ah.. to have the time, space and money!

Darkzentai wrote:
I’m still on a provisional license after 20 years so nothing bigger than a 125cc automatics.

SHAME ON YOU!

Eff replacing the bike.. GO GET A LICENCE!

I don't care what sort of licence, really, B-U-T twenty years wobbling around on LEARNER plates... if you haven't learned anything by now, then get off the chuffing roads before you hurt some-one! Most likely yourself!!! IF you have learned anything.... and ARE safe to stay on the road... you should be more thabn up to par to spend £130 and an hour taking the chuffing tests to prove itr!

How much have you 'wasted' repeating CBT every two years in the last couple of decades to 'pretend' to be a learner and dodge taking tests? Go get the licence and be done, and never have to do another repeat CBT.

THIS, me-thinks is far bigger fish to be frying than worrying about how often you should trade in the scooter!

To my mind, if it ent broke, dont fix it; so wait till it breaks, then worry about whether another bike might be the way to go... right now, I'd be more worried about errant pulls by plod for broken L-Plates I didn't really need.. for the sake of an hour or so of my time, and oh so many cash savings.

Just a little food for thunks......
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:10 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came on this forum having just passed my CBT and was bullied into getting a full licence, passed it on the first attempt and now I have to ride around town on my Rebel... who do I see about compensation?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 192 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2