Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermarket Fuel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:27 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Supermarket Fuel Reply with quote

I seem to be having a run of older bikes with poorly carburettors & talking to the owners the common thing between them seems to be supermarket fuel.

I don't know how to post piccys on here, but I have one stripped down & there is a visible green coating on the main jet, which I can only assume is 'god knows what' breaking down the brass.

What on earth are they putting in it these days???

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's in it? That's a good question. I don't know.

I used to have problems with fuel even from proper petrol stations, but it wasn't gunking, just water/silt from, presumably, fuel that had been sitting in their forecourt tank. Nowadays I don't have any issues, but I only ever buy the more pricey option at the pump.

When you get an old project bike, there is usually lots of green gunk in the fuel system that you need to clean out. It's commonly called varnishing, and I've heard that it's a result not of petrol but of petrol stabilising (evaporation-limiting) additives. I'm not sure whether that's accurate, but it seems to make sense. In theory, and this is just what I have heard, you should not be getting varnishing at all with the addition of ethanol. Ethanol may cause other problems, dissolving rubber parts and binding with water, but it shouldn't cause additional green gunk varnishing because it evaporates.

The composition of modern petrol is of interest to everyone who runs carbs, and I'd like to learn more about it.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:56 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
What's in it? That's a good question. I don't know.

I've known for a long time that XX refinery makes a base product & then every Tom, Dick & Harry collects it and adds their particular blend of chemicals to suit the marketing & pricing structure.

But judging from what I'm finding inside these carbs . . . I don't know if it's even petrol anymore.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:14 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so you may be one of the last people to know this, but all petrol is e5 now which is 5% ethanol. Ethanol is used because it's a biofuel so the process of manufacturing absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere. It's not just supermarket, it's all fuel now.

All pumps are marked e5 now. e5 does attack brass parts. You can remove ethanol from fuel using a simple process involving removing the fuel from the bike, adding water to it and allowing the fuel to settle so you can drain off the mixture of ethanol and water at the bottom of the fuel.

The EU and the UK government want to proliferate the availability of e10 which is 10% ethanol, which WILL completely fcuk old bikes. Hopefully it'll be like Super Unleaded where it is an option rather than the only choice.

I suspect you're getting water in your fuel, because most bikes aren't that bad unless they've been left with e5 fuel in them for years and years. Google how to check for water, and google how to remove the ethanol from the fuel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:31 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Ok so you may be one of the last people to know this, but all petrol is e5 now which is 5% ethanol. Ethanol is used because it's a biofuel so the process of manufacturing absorbs CO2 from the atmosphere. It's not just supermarket, it's all fuel now.

All pumps are marked e5 now. e5 does attack brass parts. You can remove ethanol from fuel using a simple process involving removing the fuel from the bike, adding water to it and allowing the fuel to settle so you can drain off the mixture of ethanol and water at the bottom of the fuel.

The EU and the UK government want to proliferate the availability of e10 which is 10% ethanol, which WILL completely fcuk old bikes. Hopefully it'll be like Super Unleaded where it is an option rather than the only choice.

I suspect you're getting water in your fuel, because most bikes aren't that bad unless they've been left with e5 fuel in them for years and years. Google how to check for water, and google how to remove the ethanol from the fuel.

OK. Thanks for the pointers. I always thought that ethanol in petrol was a merkin problem.

Can I ask why you suspect I'm getting water in my fuel?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:41 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ethanol is hygroscopic, i.e. it literally sucks water from fresh air.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:48 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

Can I ask why you suspect I'm getting water in my fuel?

Because it's usually the damage is done by a mixture of water and ethanol rather than just the ethanol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:27 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

That green shit is corrosion. Brass is a copper/zinc alloy. It's very stable but it will corrode if exposed to air and moisture. Probably caused by the bike sitting unused for a protracted period with a little moisture in the float bowl. Usually accompanied by lots of white furry shit on the inside of the float bowl too. Ethanol wont be helping in terms of moisture sinking to the bottom over a longer period.

If you've got an older bike that isn't "ethanol safe" you can add a shot of stabiliser to the fuel when you fill up. I'm using one called ethomix in my '91 VFR750.

If it's going to be parked up for a while you should run stabilised fuel through it or drain the float bowls (either with the drain screw or by turning off the petrol just before you pull in and letting it run out before killing the engine). Brim the tank with stabilised fuel too to stop the inside rusting.

slowside
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a supermarket fuel problem. As others have posited, it's an E5 problem combined with lack of use.

I'm sure even Shell's finest, squeezed from the thighs of a virgin, drink it and gain virility and charisma V-Power would end up as a miserable green scum if left long enough.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:42 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If it's going to be parked up for a while you should run stabilised fuel through it or drain the float bowls (either with the drain screw or by turning off the petrol just before you pull in and letting it run out before killing the engine). Brim the tank with stabilised fuel too to stop the inside rusting.

I got lectured on this by my local dyno place. They had a customer whose R1's carbs gummed up over winter every year for 3 years. Eventually after telling him to use it more they got annoyed and told him to drain the carbs...

The next year he had to have all the rubber o rings and seals in the carbs replaced which cost a bomb because they'd all dried out...

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:50 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

The next year he had to have all the rubber o rings and seals in the carbs replaced which cost a bomb because they'd all dried out...

I find it hard to believe an R1 wouldn't have viton seals.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:

I got lectured on this by my local dyno place. They had a customer whose R1's carbs gummed up over winter every year for 3 years. Eventually after telling him to use it more they got annoyed and told him to drain the carbs...

They didn't say to put fuel stabiliser in it? Hmmm.....

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:24 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had an issue with bike 25 years old and supermarket fuel but by the same token a tank of fuel will go through in a week so it never got a chance to absorb much water.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:49 - 14 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MarJay wrote:

I find it hard to believe an R1 wouldn't have viton seals.

It was a 1998 R1, but that's the story. And they didn't mention fuel stabilizer.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:24 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only bike i don't have an issue with is my YR5, because it's on premix and the oil in the fuel seems to help stabilise it and stop corrosion.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:54 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky.I have a Cagiva 350 with a plastic fuel tank. The dissolved water in the fuel causes the plastic tank to swell up, to the extent that its impossible to refiit the tank if it is taken off. Ducati have had huge problems with this , and have been exchanging tanks for customers ( believe all they do is dry them out and send them out again). ( Google it) As a result I have to drain the tank if I'm leaving the bike standing for more few days. I don't know whether plastic tends to atttract more condensation and then water in the fuel than a steel tank , but E10 is going to make life even more difficult for owners of older bikes. Oh nearly forgot I also run the carb dry with the petrol turned off. no problems with rubbers yet.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:16 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
The dissolved water in the fuel causes the plastic tank to swell up

It's the ethanol itself that permeates the plastic and causes the swelling, not water. But regardless of the mechanism yes, it is a problem. Some have reported the same issue with the KTM that I have (although I haven't suffered it).

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:21 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So where's the best place to get Viton 'O' rings, 'cos I'm buggered if I can find all the right sizes from 1 supplier.

I've looked at : Eastern Seals - Seems to be the best

Simply Bearings - Some, but not all sizes

Bearing Boys - My goto place for such things.

Is there a magical one with online sizes/purchasing I've missed ???

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
OK. So where's the best place to get Viton 'O' rings, 'cos I'm buggered if I can find all the right sizes from 1 supplier.

I've looked at : Eastern Seals - Seems to be the best

Simply Bearings - Some, but not all sizes

Bearing Boys - My goto place for such things.

Is there a magical one with online sizes/purchasing I've missed ???

A lot of carb O-rings are bespoke sizes. Have you tried Litetek? His carb kits aren't perfect but they are a lot better than OEM.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermarket fuel is normal fuel without the badges and some additives.

I put Badged fuel in my bike coz they can use the higher octane that many supermarkets don't sell a lot.

The car gets supermarket and it never misses a beat.

Old bike with mottled history and suspect prastic parts in the fuel system is the issue.
Overhaul the fuel system and upgrade.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:47 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who's increased the compression ratio of their engine during tuning work, what do you like to use:

1, Shell/BP/Esso etc 98RON fuel.

2, The above but with an octane booster additive such as Millers CVL turbo, or Silkolene pro boost?

I ask the question as I'm back in the high compression club, and don't want to melt pistons on 95RON.

I've holed a piston using 95RON in a bike in the past so don't want to use it again.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:26 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Anyone who's increased the compression ratio of their engine during tuning work, what do you like to use:

1, Shell/BP/Esso etc 98RON fuel.

2, The above but with an octane booster additive such as Millers CVL turbo, or Silkolene pro boost?

I ask the question as I'm back in the high compression club, and don't want to melt pistons on 95RON.

I've holed a piston using 95RON in a bike in the past so don't want to use it again.

I use pump super unleaded (usually Shell V-Power or BP). If you’ve got a programmable ignition it’s worth setting one map as completely flat so you have a safety net in case you are forced to use 95 RON piss during a trip out.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that it absorbs water so much that is the issue ... more that a partly empty tank allows condensation to form which provides the source of the water FOR it to absorb.

Either drain it bone dry or keep it absolutely brimmed and use it. The exception for me is the mower / chainsaw / leafblower - they get turned upside down and drained dry before storage.

The lower the octane, the worse the problem is. Everything i own gets 99 / Superplus.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 08:27 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a lot of research and this is a real hornets nest isn't it?

It seems to me that most standard unleaded 95 is already at 10% levels of ethanol, E10 is not just coming . . . It's already here.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading through this had probably answered a question I was puzzling over. My 404 (a 2004 bike) uses a mix of plastics including a fuel tank.
The bike is stored indoors and isn't ridden during the colder months except to run it to temperature in the shed.
I turn the fuel off and nothing leaks (taps etc) and still I can get a whiff of petrol some days I go in there. I now suspect it's slowly leeching through the tank itself!
It's nothing bad but it is noticeable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2