Supermarket Fuel

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:51 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I've been doing a lot of research and this is a real hornets nest isn't it?

It seems to me that most standard unleaded 95 is already at 10% levels of ethanol, E10 is not just coming . . . It's already here.

Not near here. If it's E10 it has to be marked as E10. All the local petrol stations to me are E5 and marked clearly as such.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:

I use pump super unleaded (usually Shell V-Power or BP). If you’ve got a programmable ignition it’s worth setting one map as completely flat so you have a safety net in case you are forced to use 95 RON piss during a trip out.

Cheers Dan.

I've got an Ignitec mappable CDI on the bike, and it'll be set up by the dyno tuner. Ive used Shell V-power in the past when it was standard and will probably use that or equivalent with 100 ml of octane booster at least to start with, and keep a dose of it on the bike in case I'm out and can't find 98RON one day. I run a BR9 grade plug as that's recommended in the manual for hot conditions/fast riding.

I think having very roughly measured the cc of the combustion chamber and allowed 2cc for the dome on piston, that my effective CR is 8.4:1 with the KIPS valve shut. That's quite high compared to anything except a 125 MX bike, but I've been told by a tuner that liquid cooled two strokes love a bit more compression as long as you can keep them cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bear in mind that high compression isn’t the be all and end all in all situations. It can stop an engine revving past peak power even if you don’t get preignition issues. My YR5 was super sharp with 1.0mm squish but would stop dead at 8.5k like it had hit a rev limiter, so it was a bit shit but luckily it preignited Itself to destruction (twice). With stock heads it will rev out to the real limiter at 9k if needed as well as not being prone to preignition. Having slightly softer power delivery at the bottom end makes it more useable even if it’s not quite as amusing.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesco do 99 RON but my old boosted SAAB preferred Shell V-power as it knocked less at equivalent RON rating.

Sainsbury's near me is E5, which should be fine for anything, older fuel systems might see issues with E10.

The biggest issue tended to be they put petrol in the diesel tank by accident, but they at least owned up to it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:59 - 16 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Anyone who's increased the compression ratio of their engine during tuning work, what do you like to use:

1, Shell/BP/Esso etc 98RON fuel.

2, The above but with an octane booster additive such as Millers CVL turbo, or Silkolene pro boost?

I ask the question as I'm back in the high compression club, and don't want to melt pistons on 95RON.

I've holed a piston using 95RON in a bike in the past so don't want to use it again.

My big bullet pinks at low revs on normal pump fuel. It also does it (less but still does it) on BP ultimate and Esso Synergy. It doesn't on V-power.

So I use v-power where available and I have a couple of shots of Royal Purple octane boost in the toolbox for if I can't get it. My mate uses royal purple in his 160bhp GSXR1100 oill-boiler race bike when he can't get hold of avgas.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Reading through this had probably answered a question I was puzzling over. My 404 (a 2004 bike) uses a mix of plastics including a fuel tank.
The bike is stored indoors and isn't ridden during the colder months except to run it to temperature in the shed.
I turn the fuel off and nothing leaks (taps etc) and still I can get a whiff of petrol some days I go in there. I now suspect it's slowly leeching through the tank itself!
It's nothing bad but it is noticeable.

Almost all storage tanks of any kind have some method of venting so they to not cavitate and prevent whatever pouring out to where it has to be.
Some vents are one-way, some are a simple gauze and some are sophisticated carbon filled shite.
It's normal for fuel vapour to accumulate outside the tank in an un-vented building.

It's maybe even an indicator that the building ventilation is inadequate.
Concerns of dampness.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that but this last week I've been using the bike shed for other stuff and the door was open more often and guess what? No slight smell of fuel.
The shed doesn't get damp. It's pretty dry in there and nothing rusts. I'll add some ventilation as a precaution though.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having to change the fuel lines on my YR5 every year. Unfortunatley I can't use a better quality fuel line as there is no room on the tap for two hoses of a larger OD. The better grade reinforced fuel lines are more resilient but still don't last forever. Also any syringes or pumps with rubber seals are scrap after few exposures to modern piss fuel unless you strip them and let them vent between uses.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 14:55 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I siphoned petrol from an old car with a plastic hand pump a short while ago. On trying to use it again yesterday, all the pipes are solid and brittle and the pump diaphragms are knackered. I can only assume it's Ethanol which caused this, as I've had it for years and used it many times in the past to drain petrol tanks.

There are estimated to be over a million cars in the UK which are not suitable to E10. Oh joy, another way for the government to boost the economies of Germany and France by stopping us owning older cars and renting new cars which get binned every 3 years.

I'm convinced that they're putting up to 10% ethanol in fuel marked as E5. God knows what 'other' additives they're bunging in but something has changed radically in the last 3mths.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:02 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
I'm convinced that they're putting up to 10% ethanol in fuel marked as E5. God knows what 'other' additives they're bunging in but something has changed radically in the last 3mths.

If you're convinced then just fill up a fuel canister next time you're at the garage. Separate the Ethanol from the Petrol and compare the proportions yourself Smile

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:18 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably a stupid question as diesel and petrol have very different properties but are they chucking this ethanol sh1t in diesel fuel as well.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:32 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Probably a stupid question as diesel and petrol have very different properties but are they chucking this ethanol sh1t in diesel fuel as well.

No but I doubt it would make a difference to diesel. Diesel can be manufactured from plant extracts anyway, some of Diesel is probably biodiesel as it is.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

No - diesel is blended with biodiesel, which is sourced from FAME (fatty acid methyl ester) derived from vegetable oils (rape, palm, soy etc).

FAME brings different issues - not so much about material compatibility but more about the impact on the lubricating oil. FAME is less volatile than diesel, so tends to accumulate in the oil as fuel dilution. It then interacts with the oil, reducing its performance and service life.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:37 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

No - diesel is blended with biodiesel, which is sourced from FAME (fatty acid methyl ester) derived from vegetable oils (rape, palm, soy etc).

FAME brings different issues - not so much about material compatibility but more about the impact on the lubricating oil. FAME is less volatile than diesel, so tends to accumulate in the oil as fuel dilution. It then interacts with the oil, reducing its performance and service life.

Kind of like what they do in Africa (and other developing countries) but the cut petrol with paraffin as paraffin is a little bit cheaper than petrol.
But a high percentage of the paraffin doesn't combust, condenses on cylinder walls and runs into the sump.
The Nigerian company I worked for MDs car sump had about four litres of oil drained out once. It only needed 1.5l to fill it.
Buying fuel from dodgy bastirt suppliers.
A lot of Muslims run the fuel business in Nigeria so it must be Halal to cut the fuel then. Bastirts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2