BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Running rough

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

glennsr77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:40 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Running rough Reply with quote

Hi - I have a 2000 Aprilia 650 Pegaso cube. Up to a few months ago it was my daily driver but I stopped using it as often as I used a little Honda to get to work. The Pegaso was running sweetly ticking over well and revving smoothly - so no issues. However the bike has been stood for a few weeks with only the occasional startup just to keep the engine running. When I went to start it today it took ages to fire up (i think the carbs were dry) and when it did it only ran on choke dying out when i pushed the choke off. I got it running a little better as it warmed up but doesn't rev smoothly now popping and banging as it is revved up. Anyone any idea what's going on - is it carbs off and clean out? I did notice that my air filter box has a couple of holes where my venom exhaust has touched and melted through the plastic but this must have been like that for ages so I am discounting that. Also has anyone put aftermarket cone type air filters on and taken the original air filter and box out? Any help and advice appreciated -thanks.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 15 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it runs on the choke / starter jet and not the pilot jet then it could be partly blocked.
Does it have an in-line filter in between the tap and carb?

glennsr77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 00:04 - 17 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
If it runs on the choke / starter jet and not the pilot jet then it could be partly blocked.
Does it have an in-line filter in between the tap and carb?

No there is no fuel filter. I am busy trying to get the carbs off the bike at the moment. Not an easy job as I have to somehow get the air filter box off first which is proving very difficult. Perseverance....

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbed bikes do not like being left for long periods with fuel in the carbs. I always drain them out (when I remember Embarassed ) so agree that would be the obvious place to check first.

glennsr77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:20 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped the carbs off the bike - took the float bowls off and they were quite clean. Blew the jets out and gave everything I could a clean out. The slides were a little gunked up but all clean now. The only problem I got was when I removed the clutch cable the plastic retaining screw that holds it in promptly snapped. A common problem apparently but it means that I either have to source another which is stupidly expensive (about £28) or fabricate a new one out of metal which I now researching how to do. I have as a side note ordered 2 cone air filters to replace the standard cylinder one and am busy doing alterations to the air box. Progress report as it occurs,,,,

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:43 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

glennsr77 wrote:
Stripped the carbs off the bike - took the float bowls off and they were quite clean. Blew the jets out and gave everything I could a clean out. The slides were a little gunked up but all clean now. The only problem I got was when I removed the clutch cable the plastic retaining screw that holds it in promptly snapped. A common problem apparently but it means that I either have to source another which is stupidly expensive (about £28) or fabricate a new one out of metal which I now researching how to do. I have as a side note ordered 2 cone air filters to replace the standard cylinder one and am busy doing alterations to the air box. Progress report as it occurs,,,,

It is really not a good idea to do mods before you have sorted out any problems, if it still runs rough is it the same thing or are the pod filters causing it.

One issue at a time chap. Thumbs Up

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

""""Blew the jets out and gave everything I could a clean out. """"

Could you see through the jets?

glennsr77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:15 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to fabricate a new metal choke screw out of a metal brake line screw that was the perfect fit and thread - drilled out centre hole to retain the choke cable and slide and works perfectly now - won't break that again. Upon inspection the carb float chambers were clean and the jets clean - the sliders and barrels were a bit oiled up so gave them a good clean. just going to put it back together and see how it runs then consider trying the cone filters.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound very clever but no answer question!

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the fuel has been in a few months I'd at least top it off with fresh.

glennsr77
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:48 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
""""Blew the jets out and gave everything I could a clean out. """"

Could you see through the jets?

In answer to your question - yes i could see clearly through the jets - there wasn't any significant dirt in the carbs.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If no carb inlet filters then i suggest an in-line fuel filter if possible just in case the tap seal/s are breaking up.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:52 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep the air filter standard.

I wouldn't have even bothered pulling the carbs out, just fill it up with fresh fuel and take it for a ride. Fuel is a good carb cleaner.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:26 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want cone filters?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1