Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Big Brother

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 18 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you responding to my comments when you've enemied me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 18 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utterlessly pointless then. What a prick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:08 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again? Look who's talking.
You're just using it as a device to feign a moral high ground when you haven't got an answer, then pontificating when it suits you.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
How are you responding to my comments when you've enemied me?

Because he's a snide, two faced, attention seeking, shit stirrer!

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:58 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't use those Smile

Sister Sledge wrote:
I've taped over laptop cameras and microphones for years - friends say I'm crazy. They refuse to believe what's happening.
I asked my 24 year old son if he was concerned about all of this privacy stuff and he told me he doesn't care. People are sheep and accept it.

As for government watching: Surely you all know that every single fibre link between continents that lands at Cornwall is tapped by our wonderful government. Their data spy centers have enough capacity to store the entire internet if recorded continuously for a whole month.
We have everything to be concerned for.
People joke that the men in suits will be coming because they've said something? Could be very true that.

Use a VPN Thumbs Up

You might be thinking of the US (NSA) buffdale facility, see below. In the UK the first part pof the web address e.g "bikechatforums.com" is stored along with metadata about you for 1 year IIRC but the ISPs store it rather than GCHQ.

Buffdale doesn't look that big, but take a look at the electricity pylons on the right for scale, it is huge!

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/blogs/wiredenterprise/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/utah-data-center-AP.jpg

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:24 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British do it for the USA. Slow to get started but watch the whole video - makes for fascinating viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_nnUbX7uuQ&t=26s

VPN yes.

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/china-social-credit-system-explained

sensi5446
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:55 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a smart phone in your pocket, owning an echo or G home will hardly make a difference. We all carry around our high tech tracking devices all day long with 360 cameras and built in mics.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:37 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often wondered if smart devices are listening to more then they should be, I have seen adverts on facebook for things that I have talked about earlier in the day.

now I am not convinced, I have 2 sono ones connected to amazons alexa and I have just reviewed the voice recordings on my amazon account, mainly because of this tread. looking back over the last month there isn't anything in there that I wouldn't be expect to be there.

"alexa turn the heating on"
"alexa play November rain by guns and roses"
"alexa turn the volume up"

that sort of thing.

there's certainly nothing I'm not comfortable sharing anyway, they only send the instruction (the few seconds after the word alexa) to amazons servers anyway.

I've also seen a number of reports by security companies who have looked into smart devices listening into us, and they have come back saying that the devices don't listen in.

https://www.consumerreports.org/smartphones/is-your-smartphone-secretly-listening-to-you/

it would be fairly easy to prove anyway if your inclined to, simply set up a proxy server on your network and send all your outbound internet traffic through it, then you'll be able to see exactly what is going where.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are plenty of other ways that they harvest your data such as cookies, gps data, Facebook, twitter, your google account, mailing lists etc.

who even bothers to read the cookie messages, that blight every website you visit anyway?

Facebook was another one where people had claimed it was surreptitiously recording calls and call data, When I downloaded the data that they held on me I wasn't surprised by what i saw, there wasn't any calls or text msgs in there, just the data that I had willingly and knowingly upload.

I'm not suggesting that they are not shady fuckers, just that we probably unwittingly give them enough access to our lives without them having to resort covertly recording us without our permission

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have already mentioned, it's trivial to set up a proxy and analyze all the data going out.

Do you not think that if they were surreptitiously recording everything it would have been exposed by now.

And if it was exposed that they were doing so, it would totally undermine trust in those devices and therefore destroy the market for them?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

gumf gumf gumf

...t, but even Hitler had more of a grasp of reality than mpd.

ftfy Laughing Laughing

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

How would it be exposed?

As I have already mentioned, it's trivial to set up a proxy and analyze all the data going out.

Stick wireshark, burpsuit, ZAP or a.n.other tool inbetween the device and the internet which will allow you to see exactly what it being sent by the device.

Where does the NDA come into it?

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:08 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you honestly think that Amazon will go to the trouble of adding a covert 4g modem in to it echo, and that nobody would notice?

Seriously?

Do you not think that there are people out there who reverse engineer electronics for fun and profit?.

https://youtu.be/QsZsu4GJ82Q

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:58 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

I wouldn't put it past them to be able to broadcast stuff back that people with your proxy idea won't be able to detect, such as end to end encrypted transmissions.

Even with E2E encryption, you still be able to see the packets on the wire. And while you wouldn't be able to read the contents you'd still be able to see the source, destination and the size of the packets, with that you'd be able to work out whether it was recording/transmitting everything or just specific events.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course there'll be other traffic thats why you leave it running in a quiet room to establish a baseline Rolling Eyes

Also I never said I trusted them, just that I don't believe that they are covertly recording everything we say.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 152 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3