Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

FretGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned in the "most reliable bike thread"

Honda CBF 1000

it decided that it liked to kill stators, then taking the battery and reg/rec with it.

Most of the time the issue would show itself by refusing to start because of the stator windings destroying themselves, but once decided it would like to kill all power at XX MPH in the right hand lane of the M4 with plenty of traffic around.

Honda knew very well about the issue, they offered to cover it with new parts, a smaller circumference stator and a larger circumference flywheel as it was believed that the extra gap provided with the new parts would help cool things down. Said new parts would be fitted if the bike was within 7 years from the bikes first registration. A one time deal though, after that you were on your own.

I went through 4 stators before I decided to give up on it.

Shame really, as everything else about the bike was spot on, but as I needed it for work, I couldn't stand turning the key and being given the finger.

ಠ_ಠ

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peugeot Speedfight 100. I messed with it to make it go 66mph instead of 54mph. The big problem was that the clutch wasn't any good for a tuned engine, and neither was the variator or drive belt. It needed an adjustable race clutch to get it into the power band before engaging.

I melted a hole in the piston running it on a std plug and normal unleaded with a high compression head.

I broke a drive belt at 60mph and locked up the back wheel.

The aftermarket carb fell off the intake manifold after vibrating the clamp loose on the M5 in rush hour.

The front end was terrible with a stupid single sided leading link front suspension and all the weight on the left side. This caused a nasty wobble at 55-60mph.

I got it nearly new as a cheap commuter for night school classes, but it cost me a fortune, the lights were terrible and it wasn't even very practical with poor storage space for a scooter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 14:03 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1973 S1A 250 triple Kawasaki. At the slightest hint of dampness it would lose the spark on the middle cylinder. Living on the west of Scotland that was most of the time. Ignition timing was a weekly affair. Felt great for a day or so and gradually lost oomph. It chewed throughout rear wheel bearings like they were made from chocolate. It's least finest hour was a weekend when me and a mate decided we'd go to a rally in Coventry in March 1978. Seized near Blackpool turn off on the M6. Managed to get it sort of running and stupidly continued rather than head home. Had a shite time at the rally. As was very predictable, one of the wheel bearings disintegrated. By this time I was past caring and kept the throttle pinned all the way to Ecclefechan on the Scotland side of the border where it holed a piston and finally died.
My first real road bike and for all it's faults I loved riding it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy..

Both triumph 955i I owned.

Now my BMW K1300GT.
And S1000RR.

But bikes are notoriously unreliable when compared to cars or vans. And they shouldn't be as there are less bits to go wrong.

blue_painted
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BMW 1100RT ... bought sight unseen (never again, never) ... clutch was shagged when I got but I didn't welsh on the deal and then at 1030pm 2 miles from home the clutch gave up completely. I couldn't get it going fast enough down hill to slam it into first without it stalling so I pushed that heavy bastard home ... flogged it as a NON RUNNER and took the loss.

Second prize to the Mash400 - it had those fuelling problems, so it would just cough and die and at the most inconvenient moments. It spat out its base gasket. Vibrated like a ... shaky thing ...

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:55 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
It's odd cause i've had a YPVS and never had an issue and i've been exposed to many many others which havn't had issues either....

Same here.

I owned 4 of them and never had any issues. That said, I had my last one in the early 90s and so mine were all pretty new when I had them.

I'd imagine that years of unsympathetic owners and dubious “Tuning” mods probably did them no favours.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
Forced wrote:
It's odd cause i've had a YPVS and never had an issue and i've been exposed to many many others which havn't had issues either....

Same here.

I owned 4 of them and never had any issues. That said, I had my last one in the early 90s and so mine were all pretty new when I had them.

I'd imagine that years of unsympathetic owners and dubious “Tuning” mods probably did them no favours.

I don't suppose you'd call a Stan Stephens tune "dubious", although there wasn't much left of the cylinder walls by the time he'd finished with mine. It didn't blow up on me even like that though. True, I didn't put huge miles on it after it was tuned before I sold it on, but the friend I sold it to took it racing, and he never complained to me that it was unreliable, even then.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

FretGrinder wrote:
Honda CBF 1000

Got mine at 53,000 miles less than a handful of months ago and it's already started kicking up a fuss when being started on the sidestand out of the blue, but starts fine otherwise -- yet to tell if cleaning the sidestand switch has made a difference.

Between that and intermittently not going up gears on the first attempt I could quickly throw it into a river, but my local shop didn't want to P/X it on those two points -- plus the mileage.

For me I'd have to say my Lexmoto Arrow, but the Honda make take the crown -- ask me in a years time. Laughing

The amount of things that had done under warrenty I forget, but having to buy new forks after they mysteriously stopped rebounding properly has to be the highlight. Impressive MPG, but I ended up pushing it quite a lot.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:17 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

a vespa lx125

only new vespa I ever owned

fecking thing had a intermittent immobiliser fault

if it got wet it wouldn't start until it dried

I took it to Derbyshire and on way back I stopped for fuel during a rain storm
thing never restarted so sat in the rain for three hours awaiting recovery

had to plan trips on it very carefully as couldn't risk it getting wet

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:02 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph America

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Triumph America

Not just the Street Triple then? God, that thing was poison. 4 fullblown breakdowns in a year from new, last one I left it at the dealership, bought a CCM and rode home.

Left the cunt in Palmers Triumph in London.

Bunch of arseholes.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 143 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2