Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Capturing a Unicorn

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:43 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Capturing a Unicorn Reply with quote

There's a bike. A bike I fell in love with. A bike unlike any other I've seen.

Long story short... It's not in this country. I know the owner and he wants rid. It's mine for free. However, I need to import it from a European country.

The issues:

It has foreign plates as it was registered there, but there's no paperwork for it as the current owner never applied for it. I know that might sound dodgy, but it isn't.

Whilst it is 18years old, it has 3000km on the clocks, which looks like it's liable for VAT etc. But I won't be paying any money for it, so is there no VAT?

What I need to know:

The process for getting it registered in the UK without any paperwork and what it'll cost (the physical movement of the bike is already sorted). I tried going through GOVuk, but lost the will to live somewhere around partial mSVA. Are there any bureaucratic types out there able to assist and give me a step by step process to follow?

Much obliged

Poseidon

Update: resto thread... https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=330994

Last edited by Poseidon on 13:37 - 19 Jul 2020; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea, sorry. But please stick up a photo of the bike so us nosy bastards can sate our curiosity!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:06 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half a story.

You never mentioned what the bike is. You never mentioned where it's coming from or if it was already registered there.

Might be relevant if it has UK/EU type approval. And for duty reasons if it's outside the EU.

You need to tell HMRC in any case otherwise you wont have the correct paperwork. They'll tell you how much money they want off you. Probably no point arguing with them in my experience.

A full MSVA is only £85, might be the cheapest way? (actually cheaper than doing the approval process) It would give you a Q-plate but aren't you looking at that anyway? Can you prove how old it is?

A full MSVA pays for itself because you don't need an MOT for the first three years.

Another thought is to bring it into the UK on the QT then claim it's a vehicle you've radically altered and just bung it through the MSVA as if it was a one-off for a Q-plate.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, apologies for being so cryptic, but for reasons I cannot disclose just yet, I'm reluctant to divulge too much.

It's a rare example of a relatively common bike manufactured in the EU. It's coming in from a country within the EU where it is and always was registered. Ideally I want an age related plate on it rather than a Q-plate.

I'm fact finding at the moment, it'll need some work, so I've been working out the cost of parts etc, and also (unsuccessfully) working out the process of importing a vehicle without the accompanying paperwork

Last edited by Poseidon on 17:33 - 19 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I have no idea, sorry. But please stick up a photo of the bike so us nosy bastards can sate our curiosity!

PMd Wink

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably not the best advice but if it's in Europe I'd hire/borrow a van. Drive over and bring it back. Make sure you have receipts for buying it. If stopped, tell them it's a spur of the moment thing and you are going to do it up and re register it to here.

I doubt the Customs people will be that interested in a bike unless you pack the van out with illegal immigrants to finance the trip. Wink

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:00 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want an age related plate, you're going to need to be able to prove how old it is.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:04 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Polarbear. After much digging, I've found the process of how the current owner can get the relevant paperwork, which means it should come over with a logbook... Man, if you think the DVLA are a funny bunch, try getting an answer from the Irish NVDF (oops, is that a clue?).

Anyways. Assuming the logbook will be present, it'll still need importing. Given the low mileage (did I read that VAT has to be paid if it has less than 6000km on the clock?) Is VAT at market value of the vehicle or what I paid? (Theres no way I'll be able to get the original sales receipt with proof of vat being paid on there)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:34 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Cheers Polarbear. After much digging, I've found the process of how the current owner can get the relevant paperwork, which means it should come over with a logbook... Man, if you think the DVLA are a funny bunch, try getting an answer from the Irish NVDF (oops, is that a clue?).

Anyways. Assuming the logbook will be present, it'll still need importing. Given the low mileage (did I read that VAT has to be paid if it has less than 6000km on the clock?) Is VAT at market value of the vehicle or what I paid? (Theres no way I'll be able to get the original sales receipt with proof of vat being paid on there)

Considering the amount of vehicles I see with Irish numberplates do you even need to bother re registering it? I've seen cars with Irish numbers going through our local car auction which as far as I know is a bona fide legal business.

Edited to add, I think know what it is although yours probably isn't as sparkly as the one I PM's you.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be ok if you can get a dating cert from the manufacturer.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:37 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 90% certain I can get the logbook sorted. It'll take some fucking around, but less so than bringing it over without one.

This concerns me though...

HM Robbing Bastards wrote:
If you’re importing a second-hand vehicle, you will not have to pay VAT if all the following apply:

VAT has already been paid in any EU country including the UK
the vehicle has been in use for more than 6 months
the vehicle has done more that 6,000km (about 3,728 miles)

It has less than 2000km on the clocks. So it's eligible for VAT. If it's given to me for free, do I have to pay VAT on the obscene current market price or on what I paid for it? If I paid nothing, surely the VAT will also be zero?

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
It has less than 2000km on the clocks. So it's eligible for VAT. If it's given to me for free, do I have to pay VAT on the obscene current market price or on what I paid for it? If I paid nothing, surely the VAT will also be zero?

Hard to 'prove' that no money's changed hands I suppose. The customs declaration forms for postal stuff etc do have a box for "Tick if this is a gift" or whatever, which presumably must be for the purposes of import duty assessment? We don't know the circumstances whereby you're getting it for free - will HMRC 'believe' you?!

Maybe this is an excuse for you to go and ride the entire Wild Atlantic Way on it on the way to the ferry, to get the mileage over 6,000 km? Wink Might not be the best time of year to do that though...

What happens if the UK leaves the EU (which may or may not be 31 January) before you get the bike to Blighty? All bets off?

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:21 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode the tdm back from germany when it was gifted to me by x-father in law, then put it on english plates. Quite simple. Have a search for my old posts, i explained it all somewhere before Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 22:42 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a fairly common bike, can you buy some clocks with more miles on?

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
Rode the tdm back from germany when it was gifted to me by x-father in law, then put it on english plates. Quite simple. Have a search for my old posts, i explained it all somewhere before Thumbs Up

Yeah, provided the log book situation improves, it's a straightforward enough process. But given the mileage, it's whether or not they believe the bike has been gifted to me. It'll probably come over in a van, it needs work.

Robby wrote:
If it's a fairly common bike, can you buy some clocks with more miles on?

It's an idea. The speedo is in kph, so could get that switched over to mph at the same time.

Hopefully in a few weeks or so it'll be tucked up in the garage and I can start a project thread.

Kaya75
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the vat tho, surly vat was paid when the bike was purchased originally, if it was brought from a dealer vat would be included, and you didn't pay anything so it's technically a gift. No vat (??)

Either way Won't VAT be book price? Not market value. Book price is probably much much lower.

Good luck with it all anyway Thumbs Up

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:13 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaya75 wrote:
I don't understand the vat tho, surly vat was paid when the bike was purchased originally, if it was brought from a dealer vat would be included, and you didn't pay anything so it's technically a gift. No vat (??)

Either way Won't VAT be book price? Not market value. Book price is probably much much lower.

Good luck with it all anyway Thumbs Up

Theres no common vat for for motor vehicles imported from the eu unlike most other things, to keep our honest and hard working new car industry at a fair profit.

op i would either get spare clocks as suggested or the other way - the mileage is unverified and as you do not know the provenance of the clocks, and should the seller (i know its free but there still has to be a seller for hmrc) tell you the bike has done ooooh 10,000 and the clock has been replaced or was disconnected/ malfunctioning / malfunctioning this will be supported by the bikes age and its condition of disrepair. Whats good for the goose..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:06 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Capturing a Unicorn Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Capturing a Unicorn

Eleanor.

Last edited by Ste on 23:31 - 20 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
In love with... a bike unlike any other I've seen.

It's a rare example of a relatively common bike manufactured in the EU.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:02 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said it was 18 years old, I don't think the mileage comes into it. It's not new, it's not unregistered, it's used...

Step 1: get whatever the [Irish] equivalent of a V5 is your name.
Step 2: hire a van and pick it up
Step 3: fill in the "used vehicle import pack" from the DVLA
Step 4: pay road tax
Step 5: enjoy!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:10 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Capturing a Unicorn Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
it has 3000km on the clocks

It doesn't if the clocks are removed. Wink

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:51 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
You said it was 18 years old, I don't think the mileage comes into it. It's not new, it's not unregistered, it's used...

Step 1: get whatever the [Irish] equivalent of a V5 is your name.
Step 2: hire a van and pick it up
Step 3: fill in the "used vehicle import pack" from the DVLA
Step 4: pay road tax
Step 5: enjoy!

You forgot the mot and obtaining chassis insurance. Swinsons are one of a handful that do it

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:52 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long would it take to stick 1000km on it with an electric drill?

Reverse clocking.

Poseidon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:16 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
How long would it take to stick 1000km on it with an electric drill?

Reverse clocking.

That thought had crossed my mind Laughing

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:35 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if you went over in a van ,dismantled it and said you were bringing in a load of old bike spares?
you could sort the paperwork later.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4