BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125cc restriction

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So upon reading the latest spate of replies and talking to a ktm dealer I have concluded that this would probably not be any good for me , I have also just got a much more reasonable quote for an rs125 , an Dan despite being more expensive, they’re so much cheaper to buy than a ktm and to run , I can justify the expense , equally I have just talked to my dad and he wasn’t exactly happy with the idea ,

The ktm dealer told me that even though I most likely wouldn’t get caught the exc is about the worst bike I can possibly ride on the road and advised me to wait until I’m 19 and get w registered 200 or 250 on a a2.

So , What are the rs125 like to ride , I’ve never heard anything bad about the chassis , will they be reliable enough for around 4-6000 miles a year and how do they go restricted vs derestricted also what model years would you go for , been reading that the pre 02 models were the Best But that might be bollocks. How much faster than a yzfr 125 will they be .

Thank you for making me reconsider my choice as even though the legality doesn’t worry me overly , the sheer cost of running a ktm does as well as the dealers advice

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:56 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to know the rationale for a guy who was seriously considering buying a KTM 125exc/sx to even give an Aprilia RS 125 a second thought or the time of day.

Isn't it like saying you wanted a modified Land rover defender, but you've let a dealer talk you out of it so now your going to buy a Fiesta ST?

If I was interested in bikes like KTM exc's or similar, then a road going 125 sports bike would be useless to me and the last thing in the world I'd consider. Like wise if I was a one piece race suit kitted rider who lived and died for the apex, then a harsh, tall knobbly tyred KTM with silly short gearing would be no acceptable substitute for a sports bike.

If you can't insure the KTM and you think it's not a good idea, then how about looking at other trail and enduro bikes? Have you tried to get a quote on say a Yamaha WR125R or a Rieju 125, or even say a Honda XLR 125?

If riding off road or having a tall trail bike with knobbly tyres was important to me, then no Aprilia RS would ever cut it tbh!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:19 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
The ktm dealer told me that even though I most likely wouldn’t get caught the exc is about the worst bike I can possibly ride on the road and advised me to wait until I’m 19 and get w registered 200 or 250 on a a2.

Sales guy is right, dirt bikes are pretty much a police magnet. The odds are in your favour for not getting caught but it's a heavy price to pay if you did get caught.

We're not trying to piss all over your plans and make you go and ride something boring just for the sake of it, we don't want your license to be taken away from you etc etc etc.

2strokebloke wrote:
So , What are the rs125 like to ride , I’ve never heard anything bad about the chassis , will they be reliable enough for around 4-6000 miles a year and how do they go restricted vs derestricted also what model years would you go for , been reading that the pre 02 models were the Best But that might be bollocks. How much faster than a yzfr 125 will they be .

4-6k a year should be fine. How reliable it would be will is subject to how you look after it and how previous owners have looked after it. If the previous owner has abused it and neglected mechanically (as is the case with many young owners) then it might need work doing!!

2strokebloke wrote:
Thank you for making me reconsider my choice as even though the legality doesn’t worry me overly , the sheer cost of running a ktm does as well as the dealers advice

The legality doesn't worry anyone until they get dry fucked up the bum by an angry, unhappy policeman. Laughing

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd love to know the rationale for a guy who was seriously considering buying a KTM 125exc/sx to even give an Aprilia RS 125 a second thought or the time of day.

Isn't it like saying you wanted a modified Land rover defender, but you've let a dealer talk you out of it so now your going to buy a Fiesta ST?

If I was interested in bikes like KTM exc's or similar, then a road going 125 sports bike would be useless to me and the last thing in the world I'd consider. Like wise if I was a one piece race suit kitted rider who lived and died for the apex, then a harsh, tall knobbly tyred KTM with silly short gearing would be no acceptable substitute for a sports bike.

If you can't insure the KTM and you think it's not a good idea, then how about looking at other trail and enduro bikes? Have you tried to get a quote on say a Yamaha WR125R or a Rieju 125, or even say a Honda XLR 125?

If riding off road or having a tall trail bike with knobbly tyres was important to me, then no Aprilia RS would ever cut it tbh!

My rationale isn’t all that rational to be honest 😀 I love 2 stroke bikes for reasons that I have explained previously in this thread , the rs125 seem to be very good bikes and I love all bikes , fuck if it seems good I’ll happily ride a Vespa , as for the wr125r they are said to be inferior bikes to the wr125x and look very small , and the build quality of 50cc riejus I’ve encountered is typically Spanish also they seem to be sluggish , I’ve not seen the xlr125 but that might be ok If it’s fun to ride.

And having ridden a supermoto for a year I’ve come to realise (on green lanes and on twisty backroads) that although being polar opposites, transversing a difficult trail and clipping and apex bring me at least the same pleasure the only thing I’d miss about the height and suspension travel is hopping the occasional kerb in car parks but the trade off for that is 99% more reliability.

I know I’m strange but what really attracts me to the bikes I look at is that they’re different i like for instance the 2 stroke Suzuki van van for that exact reason , I don’t want to just be another guy On a Lexmoto or yzfr because where’s the fun in that!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:46 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Until you're 19, it's either cheap (YBR, CG), Chinese (Lexmoto, Sinnis), Korean (Hyosung, Daelim) Premium (RS4, YZF-R, GSXR, MT, CBR) or expensive to run/maintain and probably of dubious legality (Most things 2T).

With 2T stuff that had restricted UK models available, you have a decent chance doing the "first 125 guv", "it still tops out at 70" routine and actually getting away with it. Don't ride like a spacktard, and you'll *probably* be fine. Your call though, being banned is distinctly not fun. Any RS that's not been ragged more than a crackwhore needing a fix will be £2K+ and if you can afford a Mito Evo (94+) that isn't just as fecked.... enjoy, unless you're over 5' 6".

The problem you have is that a lot of blokes my age grew up with 2 strokes as kids, and some of them want to re-live those years - makes suff expensive. Some of us never stopped enjoying them, they make it expensive for us too. If you want to get a better route into 2T, bite the bullet, get a 4T until you do your A2, then get an unrestricted 2T. There's not a lot out there that's affordable that even needs to be restricted to A2 (47BHP).

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:11 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers @thatdippytwat I won’t have a mito then as I’m 6”0 so would be very uncomfortable, I also got a quote last night for my 50 that was £180 per year fully comp , so will be keeping that as a backup/ wet bike or commute tool and get another bike as a fun bike and occasional commute in the warm and dry.

Also I’ve been wondering how a 16bhp (still illegal) bike is better than a 200bhp bike or is it the same , anyway the Comparisons aside , I’ve read that it’s actually incredibly rare to get a ban for riding a overpowered 125 on a cbt , the police tend to give young guys like me a “section 59” which is 3 points, and the bikes not taken , even if the book is thrown at you (apparently reserved for those arseholes doing 90+ or under the influence) the bikes impounded not crushed , and you have to pay £165 to get it back .

Anyway the what’s the rs like in restricted vs derestricted form

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget all this ''what is a restricted Aprilia like'' business as you have already said you don't want one. You want an old expensive full power or competition non learner legal bike period, that's never going to have a hint of being legal to ride on an A1 licence.

I'm still baffled by how an enduro bike guy likes sports bikes, it's an either or for me, but never both. The only advantage of the Aprilia I see is that they were one of the last made 125cc two stroke bikes, so there's a chance tho still slim that there's some decent condition 2010-2012 models out there that can be ridden and maintained, not just restoration fodder.

The 94 Cagiva that dippy twat mentioned will be no good to you nor any similar age DT or any other bike really. Two stroke 125's that are 25years old are only good for pulling to bits and restoring at great time and expense, and that's only if you can get the parts for a 25yr old Italian that's been thrashed and abused to death.

Those restricted late model Aprilia's you asked about are supposed to be quite nasty to ride, as they had to meet euro 3, and as such were stuffed with catalytic converters, electronics, tamper proof carbs with ECU controlled fuel and ignition. They do meet Euro 3, but at huge cost to drivability. And they even if and when they are de-restricted which is much harder and more involved, they de-tuned the motor to get it to be clean enough, and knocked anywhere up to 6-8bhp off the peak power off the fittest of the early 90's more superior models and also the fittest of the rare unicorn SP versions, which are the valuable models now.

Anyway a restricted two stroke is no good to you, as didn't you say you only get out of bed for the power band and it's only worth riding a two stroke if you can keep it constantly on the pipe everywhere you go, and you want to re-build the engine every 1500miles or so.

It sounds to me like you don't really want a bike or need it like most skint college kids as an A-B necessary tool for transport. What you want is a drug fuelled high by the sounds of it.

If all your mates that get around OK and go places, work, study, social events on their Lexmoto's etc arnt gonna cut it for you, and it's too boring to bother with then don't.

You have other options. You could get a nice new car instead and that's 1'000,000% a better and more superior transport option to a Lexmoto or any other 125 or bike period.

Or you could walk away and wait until age 19 to get an A2 bike. These could all be seen as very boring and linear tho if you look at them that way, despite 47bhp and 115mph stats. Part of me thinks you'll be that guy who comes back then and says '' but I don't want any of them boring A2 bikes, I want to try and ride a 60bhp 14000rpm 400 on my A2 license instead'' Or the guy that tries to argue that a GSXR600 or R6 is restrictable to A2 spec, but only wants endorsement from BCF that it is, and he's right, while saying at the same time he fully intends not to ride it even 100yards in restricted spec anyway. That guy has been here before several times, usually until they get bored of not hearing the answer they want and not getting unequivocal BCF approval for their plan.

As for the idea of waiting to buy a bigger two stroke sports bike like Dippytwat said, well you'd have to have a full licence and be 21 to get one. Secondly guys my age can't afford decent 250-500cc two stroke 80's and 90's bikes, they have been pushed up to museum money by collectors. What chance guys your age have got of affording them? Two stroke 125's are slowly going full dinosaur status too, and prices are rising into the £2000-3000 range for 20-30year old rare bikes that are only 124cc or under anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Forget all this ''what is a restricted Aprilia like'' business as you have already said you don't want one. You want an old expensive full power or competition non learner legal bike period, that's never going to have a hint of being legal to ride on an A1 licence.

I'm still baffled by how an enduro bike guy likes sports bikes, it's an either or for me, but never both. The only advantage of the Aprilia I see is that they were one of the last made 125cc two stroke bikes, so there's a chance tho still slim that there's some decent condition 2010-2012 models out there that can be ridden and maintained, not just restoration fodder.

The 94 Cagiva that dippy twat mentioned will be no good to you nor any similar age DT or any other bike really. Two stroke 125's that are 25years old are only good for pulling to bits and restoring at great time and expense, and that's only if you can get the parts for a 25yr old Italian that's been thrashed and abused to death.

Those restricted late model Aprilia's you asked about are supposed to be quite nasty to ride, as they had to meet euro 3, and as such were stuffed with catalytic converters, electronics, tamper proof carbs with ECU controlled fuel and ignition. They do meet Euro 3, but at huge cost to drivability. And they even if and when they are de-restricted which is much harder and more involved, they de-tuned the motor to get it to be clean enough, and knocked anywhere up to 6-8bhp off the peak power off the fittest of the early 90's more superior models and also the fittest of the rare unicorn SP versions, which are the valuable models now.

Anyway a restricted two stroke is no good to you, as didn't you say you only get out of bed for the power band and it's only worth riding a two stroke if you can keep it constantly on the pipe everywhere you go, and you want to re-build the engine every 1500miles or so.

It sounds to me like you don't really want a bike or need it like most skint college kids as an A-B necessary tool for transport. What you want is a drug fuelled high by the sounds of it.

If all your mates that get around OK and go places, work, study, social events on their Lexmoto's etc arnt gonna cut it for you, and it's too boring to bother with then don't.

You have other options. You could get a nice new car instead and that's 1'000,000% a better and more superior transport option to a Lexmoto or any other 125 or bike period.

Or you could walk away and wait until age 19 to get an A2 bike. These could all be seen as very boring and linear tho if you look at them that way, despite 47bhp and 115mph stats. Part of me thinks you'll be that guy who comes back then and says '' but I don't want any of them boring A2 bikes, I want to try and ride a 60bhp 14000rpm 400 on my A2 license instead'' Or the guy that tries to argue that a GSXR600 or R6 is restrictable to A2 spec, but only wants endorsement from BCF that it is, and he's right, while saying at the same time he fully intends not to ride it even 100yards in restricted spec anyway. That guy has been here before several times, usually until they get bored of not hearing the answer they want and not getting unequivocal BCF approval for their plan.

As for the idea of waiting to buy a bigger two stroke sports bike like Dippytwat said, well you'd have to have a full licence and be 21 to get one. Secondly guys my age can't afford decent 250-500cc two stroke 80's and 90's bikes, they have been pushed up to museum money by collectors. What chance guys your age have got of affording them? Two stroke 125's are slowly going full dinosaur status too, and prices are rising into the £2000-3000 range for 20-30year old rare bikes that are only 124cc or under anyway.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head mate , I am in a fortunate position that I can afford to Run 2 bikes or a bike and a car so what you said was in essence the truth, I want a bike for shits and giggles and sunny day commutes (if you call 3 miles that) however for a2 I want a dry 400 as they’re still good fun as the ktm 300 and the like require full license,

And as for inferring my vested interest your 100% right , I want a 2 stroke restricted as if I don’t get bothered by police I can derestrict it as upon looking into the law and as I mentioned previously the penalty isn’t nearly as severe as I thought ( though it can be) unless being a total cock end .

Understand please that this is a second vehicle fuckaround and so I’m not overly worried about typical 125 issues

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:54 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
I am in a fortunate position that I can afford to Run 2 bikes or a bike and a car

SO, back to Prior Post: TOY OR TRANSPORT? Seperate the variables.

If you can afford a car and a bike; get a car, with a tow ball on the back. DON'T try and run a fragile, high cost road bike, that's a twokker and plod magnet, on the road; keep that in the garage. What you save NOT having to insure, tax or MOT the road bike, then pays for you do go get as much, completely unadulterated biking 'Fun' off-road, as your wallet can handle.

When sprogs came along, I parked up the road-bike; got an old Montego estate rot box, and renovated the Cota comper for trials. For the price of the annual insurance premium, alone, I got two club memberships, an ACU competition licence, A-N-D, not just the entry fees for 24 events, one a fortnight, but the petrol money to get me to them!

No plod to worry about, St Johns Ambulance on stand by, not the vein hope that a passer -by might spot the hole in the hedge and call 999, or that IF an ambulance turns up, before I bl;ed out, they crew would actually find me.... A-N-D points mean prizes not penalties... A-N-D more, you get an irrefutable results sheet to tell you how crap much of a riding godd, you are, not a story every one down the pub smiles and nods at whilst waiting for you to get the next round in, and give them a break.

You want shit-n-giggles, two-wheel 'fun', that's where it is to be found, ON THE TRACK... you are already up to a decade behind the competition, that started in the schoolboy sport when they were 7 years old, and three years behind the lads that even went 'road-racing' as soon as they were old enough, at 13 yrs old (The season in which they turn ed 14).

From PP, you commute 24miles a week; that's approximately 2 hours saddle time a month, most of it to be spent getting irate dodging SMIDSY's, and hidden plod. Sign up for road-racing, which has the least saddle time per quid, and you will STILL get that amount of saddle time, a year, from a 6 event 'season', for your money. No plod, points mean prizes, and irrefutable 'Lap-Times' from the tower.

Your grand plan to go gangsta, and try and find your kicks on Route 66, IS pretty futile, its all the risks, plus some, for none of the rewards. Its like breaking into the Tower of London when the crown jewels are being cleaned, and then trying to brag about it! "No, I didn't get the crown, B-U-T I got past the beef-eaters! H-O-N-E-S-T!!!"

I will say it again, TOY OR TRANSPORT... your commute is walk-able FFS, you do NOT 'need' any sort of motorised transport to get to and from school. What you WANT is something totally different, and the only thing restricting the fun you might have, here and now, is NOT the licence laws or plod trying to enforce them, BUT your own small minded outlook, trying to find that kind of fun, on demand, at the end of your garden path.

It's down to YOU to make the compromises, at the end of the day, and the trick is to get the most you can out of them. Trying to beat the system, looking at utterly daft dirt-bikes, and laughably un-quick sports bikes.. yeah, the fastest of the fast Aprilia RS125SP's built for Italian domestic production racing, only 'just' managed to crack the 100mph mark, and far from them 'all' being 33bho 'mate', almost all other variants were sub-30bhp, and most about 28.. and falling as they get newer... but lets take the quickest of the quick.... that's about as 'fast' and by inference you insist on making; as 'exciting' as a forty year old Honda 250 FOUR-STROKE single commuter bike! Ie it ent, REALLY it aint! Its only your own pre-conceptions inflating the ideas and rose tinted spex of lore, suggesting these thigs as anything 'more' than they are.

B-U-T here and now, you seem to want the thrills presumed of a rortier motorcycle; and want to some-how justify that 'want' as a 'need' by having to get to and from school, and have some kind of aspiration that you can get one on the back of the other... for 'free' fun.

Like I keep saying; TOY OR TRANSPORT!!! you decide then cut up the camel and try and make the best compromise you can from it! BUT right here, right now, you have a lot of hopes, aspirations and dreams, you are trying to bag up in one cosmic 'plan' doomed not to deliver much of anything, and certainly NOT value for money.

You say you can afford both car and motorbike; SO get both; and use the car to haul the bike to and from organised competitions... where you will get ALL the thrills you are looking for, plus some, and not have to play tag with the law to get them.

YOUR CALL

But yeah, I do want to call you a fucking idiot, cos right here right now you are so green you don't even know how cabbage coloured you are, and are insistent on tweeking this grand criminal master-plan you have in your head, and WILL NOT LISTEN to any other alternative.... if you want to follow this grand criminal master plan, go ahead. You are not kidding anyone, you are not outsmarting any-one, and you will ultimately only be short changing yourself. But if you don't want and cannot heed 'sense' carry on... its your call.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:49 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you spunktrumpet, he said quite clearly it's a toy. Stop being a clipboard holding examiner wannabee all your fucking life. Kid wants to ride a full bore 2T, then he's going to . we've talked him out of the batshit insane option at least,. Screaming at him through your spergy typing will achieve - fuck all. So stop it.

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked into towing a few months back for a boat , as I haven’t been on the road for 3 years yet , I’d have to declare it on my insurance + modified towbar (as any shitbox I can hope to insure doesn’t come with one) towings out the window , I mean I know I ask stupid questions but if I haven’t overlooked minute detailed of my “master plan” then do you really think idve overlooked a tow hook

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:53 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter how long you have or haven't been on the road you're meant to declare modifications.

An EXC 125 weighs less than 100kg dry so even an under powered shitbox would be happy enough towing one.

Do we really think you'd overlook a minute detail of your master plan? No idea but loads of people do overlook possibly solutions or wrongly make assumptions about what they are or aren't allowed to drive / tow.

This is all theoretical though as you're not wanting to have to load it on a trailer every time you want to go and play on it. Laughing

Teffers wrote:
you do NOT 'need' any sort of motorised transport to get to and from school.

Life would be very boring if we all only had things we NEED rather than want. Razz

Mr Teffers wrote:
WILL NOT LISTEN to any other alternative

I dunno, he's coming around to ideas which are closer to being legal than the original ideas in this thread. Mr. Green

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:28 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use/d a Kliponboff bike rack. bolts to the tow-bar like a ball, and the bike straps to that, across the bumper. No trailer or trailer laws need apply. Takes a bike up to I think 175Kg or the tow-bar weight limit.

Meanwhile I have carted the cota about, whith the wheels stripped off, in the 'laugh' 'boot, I have bigger shoe-boxes I think, of my first ;'proper' car, a Citreon LNA which is like a Saxo. only with the back lopped off! Formerly I had a Morris-Minor pick-up truck, and bike went in the load bed.

In a similar vein, a mate at college, got a Bedford 'Rascal' sooty van, as his 'first car' pertinently to you, because as a commercial vehicle with, I think only an 850cc engine, the insurance on it was LAUGHABLY low, A-N-D he could load it to the gills to cart three or four students and their crap, to and from 'digs' each term; stuff a motorbike in the back to go race 'enduro' OR a sleeping bag and use the thing as a tent!!!

You are NOT doing your research as thoroughly as you think, Google DOESN'T have ALL the answers to everything, A-N-D you seem determined to 'go gangsta' rather than employ any actual intelligence or practical problem solving talent... you seem intent to have a ready made solution handed you on a plate, straight out the Ardex catalogue!

B-U-T, like I said its your call.. if you cant see further than the end of your own garden path, and insist that that is valid reason to break the law.. go for it..

IF you want to have fun on two wheels, on the other hand, stop being so cabbage coloured and expecting us to provide a pre-made prescription to give you all you want, no effort required.

Like I said, IT'S YOUR CALL, an the only thing restricting you right now, AFAICT is actually YOU, and your determination to some-how beat the system with criminal stoopity.

BTW, try googling Walter Kaaden. The notions you have about the 'excitement' associated with two-strokes, aren't, due to the engine being a two-stroke. Just being 'peaky'. Something that the two-stroke power-valve was actually evolved to combat. You dont even know enough to know that the snippet you have hung everything on, is just that, a fragment!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:26 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing he'd need to be aware of with a tow bar mounted rack is what the nose weight limit is for the car and tow bar it's being attached to. For plenty of small shitbox cars, ~100kg is more than the specified nose weight limit so that type of rack isn't an option.

But this is all completely besides the point as he's not wanting to be transporting the bike places to ride. Razz

It might have been mentioned already but what's a rough budget for the bike?

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously I'm in a different position to the OP, and yet I almost refuse to admit that I do like messing with old two stroke bikes amongst other stuff like old cars, and that probably makes me a weirdo so I try to keep quiet.

Im limited by space, and the fact that I like old unsuitable cars, track day cars and uneconomical non towing suitable vehicles.

But if I didn't have this classic car sickness and had the space for a van instead, and maybe a trailer? Well I'd love to get back into off road competition, and I'd have an Evo era MX bike and join the local classic MX group. I'd also have the chance to enter enduro events in exciting proper locations like the Welsh forests etc, and I wouldn't be bound in shackles like all those green lane riders, that have to have fully road legal bikes, often riding them for dozens of road miles just to get to the next mile or so of muddy green lane, if it's still open to vehicles that is.

The idea of the OP getting into off road bike sport or even track days if he has the means to get started are far from bad ideas IMO. He can then have all the shits and giggles he wants, without being an annoying antisocial teen pissing off the local residents, neighbours and risking being known to the police on a regular basis.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:30 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The only thing he'd need to be aware of with a tow bar mounted rack is what the nose weight limit is for the car and tow bar it's being attached to. For plenty of small shitbox cars, ~100kg is more than the specified nose weight limit so that type of rack isn't an option.

Depends really; my cota is something like 75Kg 'wet', so beneath the nose weight restrictions for most, even small cars. More worrysome is that absolutely KNACKERED at the end of an event, I have to lift that 75Kg a foot off the ground to go home! It don't feel like 2/3 of a bag of spuds an end then, believe me! But still...

Its all in that compromise; no-one says that he has to be the one that drives the car!!!! Or even that comping is 'The' answer to everything.

Point IS that he isn't looking any further than the end of his own drive, and expects a Fisher-Price answer to everything to be in the Ardex catalogue for him to choose from, no imagination, no intelligence required...

Point WAS, that trying to live these fantasies on the public road, is just that, A-N-D from the very start, it cant possibly deliver the full measure of 'thrills' that are sought.

Recognise 'that' and the toy or transport question ISN'T between road-riding and comping; the toy could be just that, and Grand-Theft-Auto, or whatever on the X-Box or Road-Rash on the nintendo... it IS just 'toy', so what delivers the most bang for your buck? Just dont try kidding any-one, least of all yourself, that its anything but what it is!

If you wont get the pure adrenaline thrills from the deal... what CAN you get? And make believing your Lorris Caprossi, on your way to school, riding a push bike COULD be it.... certainly more legal, and a dang site cheaper, if probably no safer! So, doing the same on a Lexmoto or YBR? What the heck, its how you cut up the camel, A-N-D not starting the delusion, in the Early Learning Center, expecting the PlaySkool cooker to get your dinner hot!

SO, hefty dose of reality needed, THEN, the variables separated. Toy or Transport?

Bike is wanted for toy. Oh kay. So what competition is do-able, and affordable, and delivers most saddle time for your buck? How do you get bike and rider to and from events, and what is the contingency for getting home when the rider has fallen 60ft off a cliff or what-ever? IF it comes to it.

Worth mentioning at that point, that I HAVE fallen 60ft down a quarry face.... it hurts! A-N-D experienced probably my worst or at least most dramatic biking 'injury' in trials... picture the scene, I looped it about three times on Section 5, a 1in3 climb up a quarry face from a dog-leg entry over a ditch, so no chance of a run-up, with a gate at the top, a 180Deg U-turn through 2 gates and back down!

When I got home... co-incidentally Garry and Howard came back at about the same time, and unloading the enduro-bikes from Howards pick-up, spotted the mangled wreckage I was trying to unload... and came over to gloat look, then spotted the blood running down my leg..... Lots of stuttering ensued as they suggested how such carnage could be causes until some-one helped me into the kitchen, for my Gran to make more mutterings, whilst finding the first aid kit, and telling me how often she'd told me how dangerous these motorbikes were.. and I had to eventually admit, that whilst the bike was a mess, the mangled metal and my bleeding leg were not co-incident. I'd bent the bike, effing up section 5... loaded it on the rack,and decided to spectate the rest of the event, and try see how the good riders did it! Then tripped over WALKING back to the car, and fell on a broken pile of steel re-enforced concrete... and impaled myself on a bit of rusty re-bar!

But I still had to get me and the wreckage home... trying to drive whilst not passing out from blood loss, IS NOT fun, I have to say! Lol!

Lesson learned, after that, like green-laning, never go it alone!

A-N-D if its any notion for OP, used to be a fair proportion of folk in competition who 'Buddied up' to share event expenses, but also so that if one did hurt themselves, the other could get them home...

Like I said, no-one says he had to drive himself to events..... ways and means, and problem solving skills not google fu!

At one extreme, as hintimated, 'toy' don't have to be a real-world motorbike; there are plenty of means of entertainment, most of them, a dang site cheaper per participant hour or thrill! And most of them are certainly safer.. road riding is NOT a sport, its a means of transport. It is NOT cheap, and it is certainly not 'Safe'... so, in the scheme of things, what are the options?

Race Schools? Track Days? Pay&Plays? It doesn't HAVE to be an X-Box, or organised competition. And bang for the buck, any of these can deliver, in full measure, the sort of thrills sought, and more saddle hours of them... JUST by cutting up the compromise to suit and looking further than the public road at the end of your garden path.

Eg: why wast £1000+ a year to tax and insure a 125, to get maybe 100 hours of not so fun road riding.... why NOT pedal to school, save the money and chuck that dosh instead at a couple of race schools. or whatever offers most thrills for most hours for the money?

Road riding Is NOT the be all and end all of biking, and the public road, and green-lanes are public roads.... are NOT a free for all play-ground.... so look further than the end of the garden path, get a bit better clued up, make some choices and some compromise and get the most you can from the matter...

And yes, a motorbike maybe a 'want' not a 'need', and fulfilling the need with a push-bike or shoe-leather, may be rather 'boring', b-u-t, point is to recognise which is which, and maximise the compromise, not short change it, trying to get a quart out of a pint pot!

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:48 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on - I think I get it: Op wants to make motovideos and post online?

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 00:30 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So , thanks for the responses and the reality check , my initial thoughts were INCREDIBLY illegal and short sighted , so for de spelling those thanks.

I don’t really want to do Mx as it’s a bit formal for me , however I would like to do green laning.

I may have discovered the answer to my problem however in the form of a husqvarna wre 125, this is because they are more lively and better looking than the dt125 whilst being learner legal and cheap to insure , they aren’t too expensive And seem to be fast enough to get to the lanes on the road.

And as for making videos, fuck that , who wants to watch me , a new rider with little knowledge or experience.

Thoughts on a husqvarna vs another bike for lanes that’s either learner legal or restrictable to be so , also the klx 125 for the same purpose as despite being 4 stroke they’re supposedly very capable bikes.

Thanks once more for preventing me buying a ktm , one of my dads mates used to do motocross and I spoke to him about one , he told me that even though they’re well built they would be shit road bikes , he pointed me toward the husqvarna and said that If I pass an a2 I should be able to swap a 200 into the frame without modification

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 01:43 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
And as for making videos, fuck that , who wants to watch me , a new rider with little knowledge or experience.

Ah, the trick is to record loads of stuff waiting for something interesting to happen and only post videos when there's something good to upload.

Nobody cares about hearing some vlogger wittering on about whatever boring crap they're thinking whilst riding and they care even less about vloggers getting high and mighty criticising every other road user.

But if you're going playing green laning then interesting things will (or should!) happen, especially as you're a new rider with little knowledge or experience. Laughing If you don't fall off then you're not trying hard enough. Razz

Green Lanes can be fun once you get to know where's good and where's just boring gravel paths. Some places are boring gravel paths or farm tracks, other places are full on serious offroading.

The WRE125 sounds like a good option as you say they're cheap to insure. It will magnetically attract thieves so you'll want good security where you keep the bike at home. Thumbs Up

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
The WRE125 sounds like a good option as you say they're cheap to insure. It will magnetically attract thieves so you'll want good security where you keep the bike at home. Thumbs Up

This. Anything resembling a crosser, dual sport, adventure etc will have sticky fingered, trackie clad, oxygen wasters all over it like flies on shit. You want 19mm+ Almax or Pragmasis chain to something really big, immovable and preferably really noisy to get through. It's exactly what I have set up for the incoming KDX220, and that's inside a locked pen. They have a habit of opening shed's and garages here to get them, someone lost 5 competition and pit bikes last week. I sincerely hope the 500 kills the little bastards.

Green lanes are a hoot, depending where you live. We have plenty where I am, it's a popular destination for Enduro's, 4x4's etc. You can use Bing Maps OS Map layer to find likely suspects, and your County Council's "definitive map" to confirm green lanes.

More detail here.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=164028

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to derail the thread but why is it that off-road and dual-sport bikes are such a thief magnet? Is is just 'cos of dawg-lovers?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:21 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I don't want to derail the thread but why is it that off-road and dual-sport bikes are such a thief magnet? Is is just 'cos of dawg-lovers?

An 'off-road' bike doesn't have to be registered, or have any identifying frame or engine numbers... so should be easier to flog-on, after.

There was an ACU bulletin, probably 20+ years ago, recommending competitors get competition dirt bikes road-regged, even if there was no intention to use them on the road, because having the VIN number on the data-base meant that it was fist less nikeable, and second, IF nicked, the bits were more traceable to plod/getting it back.

Such logical arguments, though, I don't realy enter the thinking of the kind of criminal genius that nick bikes.... it's just that they 'look' more exiting, and scraoats have the idea that they'll be like TrippleX, doing table-top-Super-Men, in their run from the law, over the local park, convinced Plod in a Panda will 'have' to stop where the tarmac does...

More practically, plenty are left not very well secured by the kids that ride them, like they did a BMX, theyt left unlocked, on out side, on the doorstep of the paper-shop, when they were nine, to tangle the OAP's zimmer frame.

They also tend to be easier to get out of where-ever they are secured, or lifted over a larch-lap fence... unlike say a Gold-Wing!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can be ridden almost anywhere, easy to be on your toes away from the plod unless they are on similar, despite what Mike thinks. Most plod would follow down a big enough footpath, but won't follow them over a footy pitch, let alone some of the bigger rougher stuff we have here (NE Wales).

Also seen as "cool", especially bigger or 2T machines ('bands in every gear laaaaa! - genuinely seen this in many shitty FB ad's for 2T bikes).

They're far easier to nick. Anything "proper" (Enduro, MX etc) won't even have a keyed ignition, just kick it over (or leccy boot on newer stuff) and off you go. Mine is getting fitted with an uprated stator and a full leccy system when I get it, but most are not. General weight hovers around 100KG. Less than your average 125 road bike, and it's easy enough to shove in the back of a van even with just 2 of them.

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the wre would be good for green lanes ? I’ve read that the stock front suspension is shockingly undersprung so would it be worth buying the (surprisingly cheap £150) set of forks from the wr competition bikes. Also what are your thoughts on the electrical power valve , they’re supposedly the same as on the cagiva mito planet as cagiva owned husqvarna at the time. Equally what tires would be the best for dual sport use?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:08 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're easy to steal, easy to fuck around on, easy to swap for a PS4 and an air rifle, easy to sell as a field bike, easy to remove what few identifying features they have, etc etc etc.

Everything about them is appealing to scummy vermin thieving kids.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4