BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125cc restriction

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, enduro bikes are fine for greenlanes, woods etc, not fine for soaking up the whoops on a track. If you're not caning it's arse around an MX track, it'll be fine, and I suspect it'll be a couple of years before your ability exceeds that of the bikes.

Be very carful when buying - a lot of 2T bikes are hammerd by clueless fuckwits. Avoid anything tuned, because tuned=fucked in 99.9% of cases. If it's not got paperwork from Stan Stephens or similar, walk away.

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:53 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% agree, I’m not buying someone else’s money pit so if it’s tuned it’s not an option, they would appear to have identical frames and rear suspension to the competition spec bikes only difference in frame is front suspension and a steel rear swing arm.

Anyone have any info on the bikes or similar alternatives And what would you think about fitting a 300 fuel tank for extended range . Also would you ditch the autolube or have faith in it (never had a problem with autolube on my 50)

As a side note , would a road reg sx85 be on the table or would it be illegal/ completely illegal

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:41 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother with an 85. If nothing else, the 125 will have less stress under normal road conditions, and will last longer between rebuilds.

If you're going to do a lot of green lanes etc, then fit an extended tank. Autolube is easier, but you meed to look at failure rates for that model. Premixing isn't hard, just make sure you take note of the amount you fill up with and add whatever 2T oil your bike needs before you set off.

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so a more cost effective bike has been found (sort of)

So my current 50 is powered by a minarelli am6 engine and the bike , other than its lack of power is perfect. So having looked into the engine a bit with nothing but a 70cc kit they make a verified 14bhp which means they’ll keep up with any 125 learner legal

Please give me your thought s

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:18 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
Ok so a more cost effective bike has been found (sort of)

So my current 50 is powered by a minarelli am6 engine and the bike , other than its lack of power is perfect. So having looked into the engine a bit with nothing but a 70cc kit they make a verified 14bhp which means they’ll keep up with any 125 learner legal

Please give me your thought s

Is this the bike you've had a love-hate relationship with on the other thread? Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:29 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would be cost effective as it would devalue your 50cc and will need more maintenance than a 125.

Keep things simple. Sell the 50cc, get a 125, have fun on it, pass some tests at some point, then you can sell the 125 and get something bigger.

Quote:
other than its lack of power is perfect

It's not perfect. Once you've ridden bigger and better bikes, you'll look back and laugh about how attached to the 50cc you were. 50cc bikes are a means to an end and that end is when you're old enough to ride something with a bigger engine. Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can get way more than 14bhp or way more than even 20bhp out of a bored and stroked AM6 with extensive internal changes. But it lasts about 3days and has a stupidly unusable power band for road use.

You need a 125 or bigger bike with some reliability especially if you want to enjoy riding it, and especially if your going to do any remote off roading on your own.

I wouldn't cross the outback on a Yamaha 350 YPVS, and I wouldn't cross the city on a tuned 70cc bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:09 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have already been mentioned but whereabouts in the UK are you?

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:31 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is the 50 on the other thread I’ve had a love hate relationship with but tbh it’s more love once the reliability was sorted, and seeing as how few miles I do I don’t want to waste money on a bike I’m only keeping for a year (just turned 18) her I can make do with my current bike tuned , also on the aprilia 50cc forum guys have been getting 8000 miles out of even the 110cc kits with no troubles , the kit I’d get is the Athena 80cc powervalve as it negates the redicukous power band problem and is said to last ages.

Though , if that’s a shit idea , what would be a cheap fun 125 as I’ve been leaning towards a msx125 grom but don’t think they’d be any faster than my 50 even mildly tuned

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:17 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 to 80 (probably more accurately 72cc) isn't too dramatic but throwing 110 in the top end isn't gonna do the bottom end much good Smile

The Grom sounds far too sensible. Won't be faster but certainly more reliable. How about a Monkey Bike? Laughing

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:28 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't work out if you're incredibly dumb or you're suffering from some sort of mental disorder.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby t'bastard has a good point! You don't want to spend lots of money but a Grom is a 'cheap' 125? Mental? Very likely. Deluded? Most probably. Able to understand simple instructions? Probably not.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have to agree with Nobby.

OP hasn't once in 3pages fell onto the obvious path of least resistance. He could be those things, or a deluded Tara type, but he would do well to at least take on board the advice from those of us who have spent £££'s and ££££' s on tuning small highly strung engines and hours in the garage and probably more pushing them home.

It's fine to spunk away loads of useful bigger bike and licence money on daft silly bikes, if you live at home with parents, have loads of disposable money and fuck all else to spend it on. I was there once and fuck me did I waste some serious cash that I'd have in hindsight put into property deposits or even incredible trips and holidays around the world etc.

It's also fine to mess with silly too small for the job vehicles, if you never have to rely on them, never depend on their ability to get you places, and you have tons of spare time you can devote to this sort of thing. As said it's shits and giggles stuff, but that kind of thing gets boring eventually for most people and they lose interest and then start to regret the money wasted.

Anyway two things:

1, What happens when OP is 18, in less than a year? Does he
plan to give up bikes? Get a car? Go travelling etc etc.
As 125cc and 15bhp is his lot for two years until 19 under the current system.

2, Has OP ever even ridden a decent condition 125cc bike, especially one in the same style as his 50cc? If so he must have realised that most reasonable brands let alone the expensive ones offer so much more than any 50cc bike. From ergonomics, physical size and solidarity, and build quality usually too. A new 125 would be far bigger, more stable and better equipped than even a £3000 50cc.

But back to point 1, if OP had said ''I want/need a really good 125 to last me two years until I can get an A2 bike.'' Well then I'd understand more. Hell if he even said he wanted to modify or tune it to over 15bhp to make it better or more useful for
his A1 years, then I'd understand that too. He'd have to realise that the arse would probably drop of any re-sale value, but it might still be a price worth paying for two years constant use.

I know there's plenty of 15yr old and older Italian kids that mess with 50cc bikes and parts for fun, but they don't care about anything but this and aren't looking for a decent or reliable vehicle to use. They just want to have fun doing all this crazy mad shit for a laugh. This isn't the outlook of the average British teenager though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op has just turned 18 according to earlier post.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:20 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Can't work out if you're incredibly dumb or you're suffering from some sort of mental disorder.

Meh, the ideas and plans have significantly improved since the first page of this thread. Razz

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 01:27 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Meh, the ideas and plans have significantly improved since the first page of this thread. Razz
#

But only by Dub-Bug tuning reasoning; ie its easy to get massive % improvements, if you have eff-all to start with! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others will confirm this..
Op you do not need the fastest powerband or whatever to have the most fun on a bike. You need to look beyond what's in front of you.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:10 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe on another hand, the OP should get himself insured on a typical small car and start driving around, and trying to build up NCB and get into affordable dependable motoring, in a car that's very ordinary and useful as opposed to expensive or unreliable.

This could be helpful for both employment, social life, and open the door to future options like towing a trailer to carry a race bike or off road bike to events in the future when time and money allows.

Assuming he has plenty of space in his parents garage to keep his 50cc supermoto bike and no need for another bike, then maybe he should just keep it for his summer shits and giggles stuff.

I do actually see where he is coming from in a way as I don't need a road bike of any description either myself, but just want to mess with old bikes and think I might be able to enjoy a few hours a year on them on quiet country roads in the way that would be unacceptable in towns or built up environments. I'm twice his age and yet my thinking is just as unrealistic and fantasy.

If he long term keeps this 50cc whatever it is, even in boxes in the parents shed, well he won't be that guy in 20years desperate to find his first bike and get back that feeling of having it. There's chapter's written by old men who wish they'd never sold their first bike etc. There's even some younger guys now that think that way and just keep their old stuff when they want to move on to something newer, better, different. If you live on a farm or something then it's almost a given.

https://www.racing-planet.co.uk/cylinder-performances-racing-aluminum-crankshaft-minarelli-p-8252-1.html#.Xd5GxKSnyT1

This is what some of those Italian kids (who are also totally illegally riding machines not in accordance with their licence) fit to their AM6 bikes. You can probably double the cost of kit when you add on a suitable exhaust system, carb and Reed block, CDI and ignition system and so on.

Proper dyno setting up is essential, so add that in too.

Service life is very short, and you have to expect to throw most of the engine in the bin every few thousand kms at best.

But if a person sat at family home, with other more sensible and serious daily transport options, and a stack of disposable income that they want to waste on something they'll never get back, well here it is.

£700+ worth of stuff for the summer shits and giggles, but it's still completely illegal and there's no licence category other than A that let's it be. Oh and you have the added pain that if you did want to try and ride it legally, you have the construction and use regulations to navigate in trying to turn a moped into a motorcycle.

It all depends on how you look at it, and if it's the kind of waste of a summer project you're after? The only other downside is that you'd want to stay well away from town and people, as the noise and antisocial nature of riding such a machine would attract more attention and piss more people off than even the KTM. But then again its only a fully taxed and insured moped that you have the correct paperwork for?

Up to you, but an old head says that house, job, car and savings for the future are all far more important.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:39 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard think back ~30 years but I don't recall worrying about no claims bonus and the like in my college days Shocked

With all due respect all that's missing here is someone suggesting the money would be better spent on starting a pension fund Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point was that any money he may spend now on a vehicle that really isn't going to do anything useful for him other than keep him out the pub all weekend maybe, is going to be seen as a waste or poor choice in just a few short years.

Messing with the moped thing needs to be a non essential use of time and money. Having a little practical vehicle that could get OP to work and open doors to employment opportunities is a far better either or bet.

He might want an excuse to nip into the shed or garage for a few hours in a couple of years time? Laughing

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Thank you for such an informative quote you absolute beacon of usefulness , as a short aside from my actual point , responses like this need to be addressed. Why is it that MY choice spending MY money is stupid but a 50yr old restoring an old dt50 or ke50 is so noble and emotional connection to their roots. I mean I can handle the condescending tone but for fucks sake I couldn’t have been clearer that this is A SECOND VEHICLE so please give helpful advice like so many others or don’t bother responding.

Now , rant over 😀, a grom would be a good bike , I have ridden 4 stroke 125 supermoto bikes they bored the shit out of me (Lexmoto adrenaline + Yamaha wr125x) hence my starting the thread

Now I’m 18 so this will be an 11 month bike hence my reluctance to waste £1800 on say a wr125x and as for saying that a grom isn’t a cheap bike , you need to see my perspective , to buy your right they aren’t cheap , however being 18 and with only 1 years no claims insurance often exceeds the cost of the bike.

In response to my getting a car , I have my liscence and am insured on my dads car and to be honest , it’s just not the same as riding a bike , I’m waiting till I’m 20/21 to own a car as my insurance more than halfs.

Now last week I met a guy (mate of a mate) on a dt125x and he , after much pleading let me have a go in a car park and I was thoroughly impressed as despite having only 15bhp it didn’t have the sleep inducing power curve that all the 4t 125 supermoto bikes I’ve ridden

Now any further suggestions are welcomed and thanks for the previous helpful replies

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:51 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

125cc supermotos aren't very super. Laughing

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your mates Yamaha DT125X is in really good condition, then keep begging him even harder to sell it to you. For what you want and with it being a factory supermoto as opposed to a conversion, it's perfect for your needs for the next 11months!

Dont drop it or mess around too much trying to tune it, and it'll be worth at least what you paid for it in a year or so. In fact it's a good enough bike to be a keeper and if it was my last two stroke I'd be happy as a dog in a pond with it!

The WR125 would be a good bike too, but feck me is it expensive new for what it is, and I doubt its as well built or finished as even a late DT125.

The performance of a 15bhp 125 is more than enough for both 12months of riding until you don't need or want a 125 any longer.

If you want to off road a bit, the DT125RE is a better option, but if I had one of either, I'd be looking after it these days as they like anything two stroke are going up in value.

I've tried to avoid commenting on your other bike choices like a used Husqvarna for example, as getting a good used not knackered or stolen old two stroke is very difficult at best. Buy a bad one of any brand, or worse a non legit or stolen one, and you'll wish you had one of your mates Chinese commuter bikes instead.

The most important thing that people have said regarding bikes specifically (not the laws and regulations) is can you keep a nice 125 enduro or supermoto style bike safe? I couldn't park a nice DT125 etc outside college in a public accessible car park in view of passers-by etc. Its likely not to be there for more than a day. Even less honest college kids might fancy snatching it away. Watch out for people being your mate too, to come back to your house and see where you park it etc.

2strokebloke
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 03:05 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
If your mates Yamaha DT125X is in really good condition, then keep begging him even harder to sell it to you. For what you want and with it being a factory supermoto as opposed to a conversion, it's perfect for your needs for the next 11months!

Dont drop it or mess around too much trying to tune it, and it'll be worth at least what you paid for it in a year or so. In fact it's a good enough bike to be a keeper and if it was my last two stroke I'd be happy as a dog in a pond with it!

The WR125 would be a good bike too, but feck me is it expensive new for what it is, and I doubt its as well built or finished as even a late DT125.

The performance of a 15bhp 125 is more than enough for both 12months of riding until you don't need or want a 125 any longer.

If you want to off road a bit, the DT125RE is a better option, but if I had one of either, I'd be looking after it these days as they like anything two stroke are going up in value.

I've tried to avoid commenting on your other bike choices like a used Husqvarna for example, as getting a good used not knackered or stolen old two stroke is very difficult at best. Buy a bad one of any brand, or worse a non legit or stolen one, and you'll wish you had one of your mates Chinese commuter bikes instead.

The most important thing that people have said regarding bikes specifically (not the laws and regulations) is can you keep a nice 125 enduro or supermoto style bike safe? I couldn't park a nice DT125 etc outside college in a public accessible car park in view of passers-by etc. Its likely not to be there for more than a day. Even less honest college kids might fancy snatching it away. Watch out for people being your mate too, to come back to your house and see where you park it etc.

+1 on that , my 50cc supermoto has a Oxford boss alarm padlock and a thatcham sticker on the frame for that reason , though my college car park is secure (Id cards to enter with security on the gate) so I’m not that worried , as for my mates DT125X he won’t sell it , it’s his baby , he wants to keep it even when he gets his full licence.

Though what should I look out for in buying one

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Thank you for such an informative quote you absolute beacon of usefulness , as a short aside from my actual point , responses like this need to be addressed. Why is it that MY choice spending MY money is stupid but a 50yr old restoring an old dt50 or ke50 is so noble and emotional connection to their roots. I mean I can handle the condescending tone but for fucks sake I couldn’t have been clearer that this is A SECOND VEHICLE so please give helpful advice like so many others or don’t bother responding.

Now , rant over 😀, a grom would be a good bike , I have ridden 4 stroke 125 supermoto bikes they bored the shit out of me (Lexmoto adrenaline + Yamaha wr125x) hence my starting the thread

Now I’m 18 so this will be an 11 month bike hence my reluctance to waste £1800 on say a wr125x and as for saying that a grom isn’t a cheap bike , you need to see my perspective , to buy your right they aren’t cheap , however being 18 and with only 1 years no claims insurance often exceeds the cost of the bike.

In response to my getting a car , I have my liscence and am insured on my dads car and to be honest , it’s just not the same as riding a bike , I’m waiting till I’m 20/21 to own a car as my insurance more than halfs.

Now last week I met a guy (mate of a mate) on a dt125x and he , after much pleading let me have a go in a car park and I was thoroughly impressed as despite having only 15bhp it didn’t have the sleep inducing power curve that all the 4t 125 supermoto bikes I’ve ridden

Now any further suggestions are welcomed and thanks for the previous helpful replies

i actually kind of like this guy

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 150 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4