BCF: Bike Chat Forums

125cc restriction

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK my father-in-law passed his test at 16 and went out and bought a Triumph Bonneville Shocked He'd been riding for years before that Smile

Life was a lot easier back in 1970. Kids today can't get away with that sort of stuff but then again you didn't have bikes that could do 186mph!

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:31 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy x.... yes they did. Moto Guzzi hit 175mph in the '50s. It was stopping they had problems with! Oh, and turning! Bit like a rebel 500 eh?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:43 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Easy x.... yes they did. Moto Guzzi hit 175mph in the '50s. It was stopping they had problems with! Oh, and turning! Bit like a rebel 500 eh?

The Hayabusa came out in 1999 and led to the "gentleman's agreement" of 186mph which is why I picked that speed. Technically all unmodified production bikes of the 20th Century were slower.

I can't quite see how quoting a slower bike disproves my statement Thinking

The Rebel has no problems braking and turning... all faults in that area are purely down to the rider Wink

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because 175mph is what 'official' figure. But, some say, it actually hit 190mph.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early GSX1300R's were tripping Radars at 190-192mph, with 215mph indicated on the speedo. Personally I think while that's fast, it's not as much of an achievement as Kawasaki had in 1995 with the F-series Ninja ZX6R. 162.5mph was Fireblade top speed and made every other then 600 look pedestrian at 150mph or less.

I've never been into Busa's really, and speed is very acedemic anyway. I prefer the looks and styling of the 178mph Honda 1100, but each to their own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:31 - 02 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

2strokebloke wrote:

+1 on that , my 50cc supermoto has a Oxford boss alarm padlock and a thatcham sticker on the frame for that reason , though my college car park is secure (Id cards to enter with security on the gate) so I’m not that worried , as for my mates DT125X he won’t sell it , it’s his baby , he wants to keep it even when he gets his full licence.

Though what should I look out for in buying one

Sounds like OP's mate has his head screwed on, and knows he has a decent late model 125 two stroke that's starting to gain value. Selling it would be pretty dumb, even if it was sitting next to a new R1M in the garage and he knows it!

Was worth asking though. You will struggle to find a good tidy ready to ride late model 125 two stroke, they are all old enough to have been abused or wreaked, but aren't old enough generally that anyone wants to restore one yet.

Such bikes do exist, and there's quite a few tidy European imports floating around, but something that's really tidy is a £2k bike now. Still great value compared to a £4200 new Japanese 125, and the new bikes used prices are going the wrong way unlike your pals bike.

Keep looking if it's the sort of thing your after, the DT125X is rare, but then so are nice Husqvarna WRE's or Aprilia MX/SX 125's. But if a nice one of any of them crops up you know what to do! Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to suggest that spending money on a good condition old 2 stroke 125 these days isn't really spending it, more literally turning it into a bike for the moment, with the possibility of looking after it and getting better interest than you would from the bank when you sell it.

I live on the Isle of Wight, with a small and overstretched police department and have never had an issue on the road, even riding some of my more, ERM, 'interesting' creations.The only thing I have ever pulled on was my DR350 as it showed no insurance on the database, despite being insured. Copper made a call to the insurers and I was on my way again.

Mainland is a different game though, you have to be careful what you ride.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4