Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

XMAX 125R SPORT Problems with lights - help please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Yamyam66
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:10 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: XMAX 125R SPORT Problems with lights - help please Reply with quote

Hi, I Have a problem with the lights on my yp125r xmax sport. The original problem was no rear light. headlights and all indicators did work,but no rear/brake lights. I replaced 1 rear bulb which then worked fine,but when i changed the second rear bulb,that bulb did'nt work, I then lost all indicators(front and rear) and all i have now is a brake light when i pull on the brakes (on the one side only) and headlights work, everything else is out. I have checked the fused and they are all good.
any idea as to what i can try ?. By the way, I have never worked on a bike or scooter before. recently laid off work. cant afford a mechanic. I was offered a job today,but had to turn it down because of not having my wheels .coming up to xmas, this sucks.
Any help would be much appreciated. CHEERS
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Yamyam66
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 16:51 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes both tail lights blown, the bulbs were black.
Where do i start to fix this , any ideas , simplified for a novice if possible.
Thanks for your reply by the way.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:22 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:
Sounds like a short in the wiring from the light which blew the indicators.

This makes no sense. A short circuit will not cause a bulb to blow. Quite the opposite, if there is a bulb in a circuit, it is, by definition, NOT a short circuit.

A short circuit would cause the fuse to blow and insulation to scorch and melt (or even catch fire).

Overcharging might cause bulbs to blow.

Do you have access to a multimeter?

Last edited by stinkwheel on 18:25 - 20 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:24 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpd72 wrote:

If it's an Earth shorting, it could be related to an indicator wire too.

A what? Are you just making shit up that sounds like things other people have said? If an earth shorts, it's still an earth.

I love lamp?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:02 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the general lack of power to the rear lights, and the fact the fuse is ok (assuming you checked the correct fuse) then I would be looking at the earth wire for the rear lights. Its a single point of failure.

In fact, to do diagnosis, I would just run a wire direct from the earth connection on the rear light wiring (wherever all of the earths join together) back to the battery negative.

The brake light can be a bit of a red herring in this sort of diagnosis, because it may run its own wires and not share anything. It's for safety, so if the lights fail you still have a working brake light.

Blowing the bulbs is a bit more unusual. If a load of bulbs go together, it means the voltage is too high. You can get this from a reg/rec failing in a particular manner, but it is unusual (they usually just fail totally, stopping the battery from charging and running the whole electrical system off the battery).

Of course, this is a 125, so have a look around the reg/rec for any dodgy wiring. If the wiring from the alternator is connected to anything but the reg/rec, or wires are rubbed bare and touching, that will cause all manner of interesting problems.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:12 - 20 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short circuits don't blow bulbs. They blow fuses.

If there is a short from the live to earth, that's the definition of a short circuit on the live side. It still wouldn't cause a bulb to blow, it would blow the lighting fuse. If you feed live into both sides of a bulb, it simply wont light up because it's not a circuit.

For a bulb to light up, there has to be live running to the bulb and an earth running away from it. Testing with a meter will tell you about both of these.

For a bulb to blow, it has to be damaged (cracks letting air into the bulb or vibration breaking the filament), or subjected to an excessively high voltage.

A short circuit could stop the bulbs lighting up but I would expect it to also blow the fuse and/or melt the wires.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 01:06 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're sure you put the bulbs in right, stop tail have offset pins, but often you can put them in wrongly , if the bulb socket is a bit flaky , or plastic.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 130 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1