Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Which first bike to buy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 14:01 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Which first bike to buy? Reply with quote

Passed my Mod 2 for A license yesterday and looking to buy a motorcycle now...

I wanted to get the Harley Davidson Street 750, but I have problems securing the bike in front of my house, so want to go for some decent bike around 650cc in the price range £2000 to £2500 just to enjoy and get accustomed to riding in the UK. I have many years of riding experience outside the UK.

Can you please recommend some bikes? I am 5'6" (short).
I have given my test on Suzuku Gladius 650 which I really liked riding, but I thought it wasn't very comfortable for riding 1 hour at a stretch. My shoulders were aching.

I am planning to view and may be test ride Kawasaki ER-6N (2014) and Yamaha MT-03 (2008) available near me. How are these bikes? Will they be good for 40mins commute?

I live south east of London near Dartford. Are there any recommended Used Bike showrooms which I can visit?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:45 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy whatever catches your eye. Smile

Go and have a test ride on the ER6 and MT03 to see what suits you the best, at this moment. Once you gain a bit more experience, you'll find out yourself what you prefer and seek in a motorcycle. It's quite like your first love, you didn't pick your first girl/boy because of her/his personality. You just wanted to have a go. Wink

By the way, the biggest difference between those two is the engine. For constant high speed riding (motorways), I'd go for the ER6 only because it's a twin cylinder, meaning smoother operation. I recently found joy in riding ''big'' single cylinder motorcycles, but they are crap at commuting at constant high speed, tiring. On the other hand, city traffic riding is amazing on a single cylinder engine motorcycle, all the torque at very low rev range, effortless acceleration and slowing down (engine braking).

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Which first bike to buy? Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
I have problems securing the bike in front of my house

sapstar wrote:
I live south east of London near Dartford.

You'll want TPFT or FC on your insurance, and a good ol' set of chains.

sapstar wrote:
Suzuku Gladius 650

Twin, yuk.

Low down revs to poke around town -- which is ideal for London -- but I couldn't get used to mine during training for A license, and even different examples the school had behaved differently. I prefer IL4's, but none of that will mean anything to you at the moment.

ER6 would be my choice out of the three, but that's because I'm a tourer fanboy.

You'll want something with heated grips and a decent set of tyres (Pilot Road 3 / 4 / 5 are well reviewed on here) given the roads / weather at the moment. You may not find what you're after with that already fitted so factor in labour + parts cost if you plan to ride through winter when looking at something.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big single is an aquired taste. They are not my cp of tea unless it's a second bike and something like a Royal Enfield.

Wifie had an ER6N. It was her favourite bike she has owned. I found it a bit boring but there is no doubt it does what it says and is an ideal starter bike.

If you go for one just check the exhaust mod has been done if it's an early bike, they had a tendency to crack where the silencer met the down pipes.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Which first bike to buy? Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

I live south east of London near Dartford. Are there any recommended Used Bike showrooms which I can visit?

New biker, 0 ncd, I would be looking at the various insurance options, the cost may end up being quite prohibitive !!

That aside, an ER6 wouldn't be a bad choice, I would have suggested a CF650TR, or, also known as a WK650TR, but I can't see many about. It's basically an ER6 in a frock, and that frock does a bloody good job of keeping the weather off you, I found mine very reliable and it never let me down on my 120 mile commute..

Depending on the cost of insurance, you may need to look at perhaps some ER-5's if in good nick, or SV650's, CB500's or even an Xj600, but, personaly I wasn't keen on mine. Alternatively if you do have the funds ..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CF-MOTO-WK-Bikes-650-NK/193202108697?hash=item2cfbbe3919:g:JXoAAOSwPn1dyA8P

Comes with a 2 year warranty I think.

For London, I honestly wouldn't bother with heated grips, it doesn't really get cold enough for long enough, a pair of urbano tucano handlebar muffs should be perfectly adequate. I ride all year, and haven't found the need for heated grips, but then again, I've still yet to put the thermal lining back in my jacket, so, make of that what you will. Also, if you are riding in all weathers, and the bike you get is in decent nick, then acf-50 will be a must, and, also, a tutoro auto oiler would be a useful addition ..

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 16:28 - 21 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you would regret owning an ER6. They punch well above their weight.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your replies. Looks like ER-6 is widely recommended. I will try to get a test ride on this.

Looked around for insurance and see that it will be very expensive to leave the bike outside. I will speak to my neighbour and if he is fine, I am going to get something like an armadillo box so that I can reduce the insurance costs. Otherwise I may have to put the bike in the house.

Also price wise how is £2800 for a 2014 ER-6 N with 12000 miles?

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:41 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Insurance will be expensive. I tried to get an ER6F (has a fairing over the N) as my first "big" bike and found the insurance cost too much, and so went with a ZR7S instead. Beside that, however, London. Being the theft capital insuring any bike inside of that place must have insurance companies on their toes at the moment.

It also then comes down to what level of cover you're looking at: TPO, TPFT or FC. If TPFT or FC be sure to look at compulsory excess cost as its money you have to pay before a claim is even looked at. If its more than policy price don't buy as in the event of a claim there's nothing to be paid out to you. TPO isn't always cheaper, and in London is one heck of a risk, but make sure you compare all three levels.

Can't comment on the price but 12,000 miles isn't that much. Looking at the service chart there's no serious things to be replaced, but be sure to look over the bike to spot things that may need replacing: tyres, suspension, chain and sprockets.

Service manual:

https://mototh.com/files/kawasaki/ER6n/Kawasaki-ER6n-Service-Manual-EN.pdf

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 22 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamaha Xj6. Better build quality than ER6 and plenty around.
Sore shoulders? Youd be suprised what a small adjustment to the bars can do. You can risers to lift them and you can rotate them as well. I was getting a sore wrist once and just a few degrees of rotation to slightly flatten the angle completely sorted the problem.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:01 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:

Heavier though and an IL4. I would say an ER6 is more forgiving but in the end there aren't really any bad bikes from the Japanese manufacturers, it's just personal choice.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the general condition and service history.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might want to have a look at VFR's. Predicatable power response, cheap, plentiful spares, bullet proof unless abused. Downside is they're a bit portly, but you once you're moving it's fine, and I can't see a noob out-riding the bike for a couple of years yet.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:58 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that full coverage insurance for kawasaki ER 6N is around £550 if in a garage with £350 excess. If parked on drive it is around £850.

My neighbour said he doesn't mind me putting a bike box on my drive. Armadillo box can only be delivered in the new year if ordered now. I also need to look into getting my sloped drive levelled.... Probably can't buy a bike until the new year Sad.

I will have to look at options available at that time. I can see a few suggestions on the thread and will try to find one of those.

Thanks very much for your inputs.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Sore shoulders? Youd be suprised what a small adjustment to the bars can do. You can risers to lift them and you can rotate them as well. I was getting a sore wrist once and just a few degrees of rotation to slightly flatten the angle completely sorted the problem.

Really good suggestion on the handle bars. Thanks.
Yamaha Xj6 looks really good. I will keep this in mind when looking for bikes again.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Might want to have a look at VFR's. Predicatable power response, cheap, plentiful spares, bullet proof unless abused. Downside is they're a bit portly, but you once you're moving it's fine, and I can't see a noob out-riding the bike for a couple of years yet.

I need something which meets Ulez standards. Looked for VFR's on auto trader and they are all from the 90's.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:58 - 23 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I need something which meets Ulez standards. Looked for VFR's on auto trader and they are all from the 90's.

They still make the VFR so ULEZ compatible ones must be available.

Are you just looking at the VFR750 and not the 800?

kolu
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 12:48 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, I've been in the same situation half a year ago - 0 NCB and fresh in the UK. ended up with 250cc because of A2 licence. the cheapest insurance was from Lexhams at £800 TPO, TPFT was exactly that + stated bike value (£1000) so I just got TPO and massive chain (16mm Pragmasis) and hi-spec ABUS brake lock. a bargain, isn't it?
shopping for the next year it looks like mce insurance (found through gocompare.com) is around £250, and I can get around £300 for 500cc. so I'll be probably looking for some dirt cheap GS500 and bigger chain next year.

funny enough, my GV250 is 2007 model but 2008 reg so 'ULEZ compliant' but actually not (still with carbs) - I was quite surprised when I found out at the TFL website. hadn't had any problems yet... so I guess anything '08 and on should be OK and you can run the plate on TFL site (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896) just to check what they think even before buying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:07 - 24 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

^^^^^^
What he said. You can walk into a Honda showroom and buy a brand new bike right now if you have the required beer tokens to do so.
https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/sport-touring/vfr800f-2014/overview.html

I'm pretty sure the VFR800's (all of them) are straight ULEZ compatible, under the NOx limit (Most bikes are, this is about money, not the environment). You can get a 750 through without much fuss if you want it testing, but I'm fairly sure the 800's have NOx levels on the V5, but if not, all you need is a CofC from Honda.

Look around £1500 for a decent, servicable 800 this time of year. Pre VTEC 800's (98-01) are almost bombproof, still have gear driven cams, and are FI, so pass ULEZ restrictions. They were massively over-engineered, the build quality is something else. Can't remember who it is on here that has one for commuting duties, but maybe ask them for an opinion. I'm biased, a V4 on an open can with gear driven cams is oen of the nicest sounds a bike can make.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:10 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

kozesluk wrote:
hey, I've been in the same situation half a year ago - 0 NCB and fresh in the UK. ended up with 250cc because of A2 licence. the cheapest insurance was from Lexhams at £800 TPO, TPFT was exactly that + stated bike value (£1000) so I just got TPO and massive chain (16mm Pragmasis) and hi-spec ABUS brake lock. a bargain, isn't it?
shopping for the next year it looks like mce insurance (found through gocompare.com) is around £250, and I can get around £300 for 500cc. so I'll be probably looking for some dirt cheap GS500 and bigger chain next year.

funny enough, my GV250 is 2007 model but 2008 reg so 'ULEZ compliant' but actually not (still with carbs) - I was quite surprised when I found out at the TFL website. hadn't had any problems yet... so I guess anything '08 and on should be OK and you can run the plate on TFL site (https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896) just to check what they think even before buying.

I already started buying some security chains and locks. Didn't know about Pragmasis. Bought the following till now.
OnGuard Beast Chain Lock With Padlock
Oxford Boss Alarm Lock 14mm
ABUS Trigger 350 Disc Lock Alarm 10mm

Still trying to decide on a shed....

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:18 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Yes you are right I only looked for the 750. Will keep the VFR as an option. But currently there are nothing available in a 30 mile radius around that are 2008 or later.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:22 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I'm pretty sure the VFR800's (all of them) are straight ULEZ compatible, under the NOx limit (Most bikes are, this is about money, not the environment). You can get a 750 through without much fuss if you want it testing, but I'm fairly sure the 800's have NOx levels on the V5, but if not, all you need is a CofC from Honda.

Look around £1500 for a decent, servicable 800 this time of year. Pre VTEC 800's (98-01) are almost bombproof, still have gear driven cams, and are FI, so pass ULEZ restrictions. They were massively over-engineered, the build quality is something else. Can't remember who it is on here that has one for commuting duties, but maybe ask them for an opinion. I'm biased, a V4 on an open can with gear driven cams is oen of the nicest sounds a bike can make.

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of this. I thought only a few bike before 2008 may apply for an exception, wasn't sure which ones and didn't really go through the hassle of figuring out. If I can get an older bike which is serviceable, that will save me a lot on the first bike...

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:01 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this on the internet which provides a list of pre 2007 motorcycles that are ULEZ compliant.

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/list-pre-euro-3-motorcycles-with-ulez-exemptions/

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:07 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:

Yes you are right I only looked for the 750. Will keep the VFR as an option. But currently there are nothing available in a 30 mile radius around that are 2008 or later.

Well... 30 miles is about a 20 minute ride on a VFR... Maybe you should extend your search radius?

I've never understood peoples insistance on buying a bike from somewhere close. I've travelled hundreds of miles for the right bike at the right price.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:19 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold off getting that new Fireblade because Honda have just submitted a new trademark. the Hunter Cub.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1199717197486137347/7mNqicAd?format=jpg&name=small
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:22 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
I have found this on the internet which provides a list of pre 2007 motorcycles that are ULEZ compliant.

https://www.bikerandbike.co.uk/list-pre-euro-3-motorcycles-with-ulez-exemptions/

I LOVE how someone got a pre-unit enfield bullet through the test. I'd love to know how. It's basically a 1949 OHV single engine. They burn shitloads of oil. Maybe just that they don't use much fuel, 80mpg isn't unusual.

On that vein, You'd get a very tidy, low mileage unit construction Enfiled bullet 500 (their "new" engine) normal gearshift, electric start, fuel injection) for the sort of money you're talking about. Bit of a left of field suggestion really but you were looking at harleys so performance isn't necessarily what you're looking for here. They are very comfy to ride and they'll just about keep up on a motorway. A very civilised motorcycle. They only make about 26bhp though, think honda superdream levels of performance.

You'd get a very tidy 535 continental GT for that much too. Factory cafe racer with a wee bit more poke. Don't think it would help your shoulders though.

If you had nearer £4000 to spend, you'd get a nearly new 650 twin. They are really nice bikes. Lot of bike for the money and a more realistic 46bhp.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 148 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2