Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changing your biking habits cos of climate change

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to limit smog locally then electric or hydrogen vehicles would help, but realistically you're still burning fossil fuels in power stations elsewhere, and with efficiency losses at each stage of delivery. Globally you're still putting the same quantity of pollutants into the atmosphere so EVs aren't addressing climate change. A reduction in journeys is what's required but we've built a globe dependent on mobility. EV's main contribution might be to force us to reduce the distances we travel!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:07 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a ridiculous idea to be concerned about changing your biking habits due to climate change. If you banned all motorcycles overnight, how much of a contribution would that make in fixing the 'problem'? Not much, biking being a comparatively niche activity anyway.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 15:42 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Indian-made electric bike is very interesting to me, particularly after the Enfield Himalayan. That was released at an absolute bargain price in India, but by the time it got over here it was still very cheap, and the quality of the export models was higher. This means the same thing may happen for the electric bike.

I don't expect to see the claimed range out of it, but I don't need to. It's a bike for city commuters who want the power of a commuter bike (it is claimed that electric bikes feel more powerful, so a 30hp electric bike should feel like a 50hp petrol one). It should also be the price of a commuter bike - £5-6k OTR by the time it get here. If you live in a flat you can take the batteries upstairs to charge every other day. It only needs a range of 60 dependable miles for that use case, with the possibility of 100 miles ridden gently in perfect conditions.

EVs, and electric bikes, are addressing climate change - just in a fairly small way. This is why policy-level action is needed. The big impact at an individual level is that people who are actively reducing their emissions in one area tend to do so in other areas. So an electric car driver is more likely to insulate their home, have a more efficient boiler, and fly less (although electric car owners tend to be richer, so flying "less" is still flying a lot more than most people).

Also, the grid is not wholly run on fossil fuels so your EV is emitting less than burning petrol, even taking into account transmission losses. Fossil fuel vehicles do not have the thermal efficiency of a power station. The whole-car efficiency is even worse - unless you have a hybrid, then all of the energy from braking and decelerating is just being turned into heat, where an electric car harvests as much as it can back into the batteries.

Electric vehicles are cleaner. They have all kinds of drawbacks - cost, range, recharge time, depreciation, availability, styling - but they do very well on emissions, reliability and driving experience. All of the other problems will improve over time.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:37 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

30hp... feels like 50hp!

The peak power is the peak power however you usually get the peak power straight away with electric rather than a power band higher up the RPMs. The 30hp electric bike may be quicker off the blocks but it can't actually be faster than a 50hp ICE.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:46 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
30hp... feels like 50hp!

The peak power is the peak power however you usually get the peak power straight away with electric rather than a power band higher up the RPMs. The 30hp electric bike may be quicker off the blocks but it can't actually be faster than a 50hp ICE.

It's not just about the sheer performance for me. I just love the sound of a nice ICE on song, decent can, bit of a growl. Perhaps they can put a soundtrack on electric bikes Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Easy-X wrote:
30hp... feels like 50hp!

It's not just about the sheer performance for me. I just love the sound of a nice ICE on song, decent can, bit of a growl. Perhaps they can put a soundtrack on electric bikes Laughing

Also I don't want the dinosaurs to think they died in vain. Cool

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:26 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like comparing a Rolex Oyster, or even a Russian mechanical Sekonda, with a Casio digital. Completely different technologies, and worlds apart. The Casio is lighter, much more accurate than even the best mechanicals, and has lots of features. It can even be bought as a very robust version. However, it will not give the user the same pleasure. On paper, being accurate to the point of a couple of seconds a month sounds good. However, in the real world you don't need or use that level of performance in accuracy. The utility argument can only go so far. Why buy a house in Surrey if you can but a cheaper one with more space in the middle of Luton. The Luton one has better public transport links too.
Utility doesn't mean level of utilitarian benefit, in economics. It's far more subjective than that. The Rolex buyer, or the Chinese Sea-Gull buyer, attaches value to intangible benefits, which compound the level of utility in the product far more than potentialities that may thworetically lie vested in the product but which may never be fully, or even meaningfully, exploited. The technology that has centuries of development within it demands a greater level of consumer involvement and participation. The whirrings of all those little gears, the periodic visits to the watch dealer for servicing and, ultimately, the expression of individual taste and choice, cannot be found anywhere in a Casio digital. The mechanical watch user can see, feel and hear their experience. It's sensual. It also connects them to a time and place. They can know exactly where and when it was made, and how it works.

An ICE bike is the same. The user chooses particular roads, which can be taken at, say, 90mph max, because of conditions and other vehicles. This experience is bundled with the smell, vibration, sound and touch. The hearing is linked with clutch, foot and throttle. Can this user be satisfied with a sitting atop a twist-and-go? No, not in the same way. I have a vacuum cleaner. That has an electric motor. The manufacturer has put a smiley face on it. That's all the character it will ever have.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
It's sensual...

This experience is bundled with the smell, vibration, sound and touch.

"Visceral" is the word I like to use Smile

Actually, that's a problem I find with a lot of modern technology. It's bland, soulless.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electric vehicles are a novelty, they will quickly become boring.

It's fun wacking the throttle in a Tesla, because it's a Tesla. At the moment they are an oddity and there isn't much out here that will go like a Tesla. But eventually, when everything out there is like a Tesla, and they all go like a Tesla, sound like a Tesla... It's going to be fucking boring.

Due to the souless nature of electric motors, pressing or twisting the throttle in one feels like pressing the throttle in another - how much of this feeling you get will depend on how powerful the motor is - but the feeling will be the same. They will also sound the same, not the cacophony of different sounds we have today.

The torque curve of an electric motor is just that - 'THE' torque curve. It's not alterable by changing cams/fueling or even configuration. It's just physics.

It is easy to envisage an electric bike that can hang with an RSV4, I know what electric technology can do better than most, but just like racing high end electric RC cars running brushless and LIPO in the BRCA, it's nowhere near as fun as a nitro motor on song or as involved in the tuning department.

The RSV4 will always have 'that' sound.

It's a sad time coming. Think of it a bit like the bloke asking the doctor whether if he gave up drinking, smoking and sex did he think he could get another ten years of life, and the doctor replying 'Why would you want another ten years of life if you can't do any of that?'

Laughing

I do think this is a genuine point though. If you are a genuine -I'll avoid the term petrolhead- vehicle fanatic, I don't really understand how you can be enthused about a time when they run a percentage cleaner, but regardless of what make/model you end up with they will all be essentially the same to drive in terms of powertrain characteristics.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:43 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "immense" rise in sales of high-emission sports utility vehicles means they now outsell electric cars in the UK by 37 to one, research has found.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50713616

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:46 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tldr.
Saw this and thought I would have one if i had the cash and a garage with mains power. Will enevitably get cheaper in coming years if only because mechanically they're simpler to make and battery tech will improve.

https://youtu.be/kAkj7Uor4Cs

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
Also, the grid is not wholly run on fossil fuels so your EV is emitting less than burning petrol, even taking into account transmission losses.

Let's check the National Grid tomorrow. Also bear in mind that people have been fudging the figures by including nuclear in the "good fuel vs. fossil fuel" debate, and including burning imported timber in the "renewables" category.
Ribenapigeon wrote:
battery tech will improve.

I say again, after 200 years and vast investment I doubt it's going to happen.
lilredmachine wrote:
Electric vehicles are a novelty

Agreed. However,
lilredmachine wrote:
they will quickly become boring

I wouldn't dismiss their dynamic appeal so easily. After the induction roar of the 600cc Kawasaki my R1 sounded like an electric bike. I even tried an Akrapovic can to spice things up but it didn't work, all I could hear was wind noise and a faint whirring. However, the thou's immense ability to overtake even in top gear never fails to impress, and a strong electric bike would surely be the same.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

my R1 sounded like an electric bike. I even tried an Akrapovic can to spice things up but it didn't work, all I could hear was wind noise and a faint whirring.

So buy a different bike.
How are you going to make an electric bike give you what your R1 lacked? You just admitted it lacked something, didn't you? Confused

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:34 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

my R1 sounded like an electric bike. I even tried an Akrapovic can to spice things up but it didn't work, all I could hear was wind noise and a faint whirring.

So buy a different bike.
How are you going to make an electric bike give you what your R1 lacked? You just admitted it lacked something, didn't you? Confused

Initial impressions, yes, but you should have quote my follow on;
Quote:
However, the thou's immense ability to overtake even in top gear never fails to impress, and a strong electric bike would surely be the same.

I wouldn't be without either bike, for different reasons.

The point is, I wouldn't dismiss an electric bike as lacking visceral feel on the basis that they merely whirr when I've watched them go by. I'm still cynical about their practicality and green credentials though.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The point is, I wouldn't dismiss an electric bike as lacking visceral feel on the basis that they merely whirr when I've watched them go by. I'm still cynical about their practicality and green credentials though.

What about the simple march of technology. Future electric bikes might simply make current combustion engine machines look like steam traction engines compared to a jet turbine engine.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:57 - 09 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

The point is, I wouldn't dismiss an electric bike as lacking visceral feel on the basis that they merely whirr when I've watched them go by.

No, I'm still confused, sorry.
What's so visceral about an electric bike? Speed alone isn't it, that's not what I'm talking about. For me, it's like a good ICE bike has a beating heart, a live feel. It's the sound, the smells, the vibration. It's a whole package of things which I think electric bikes just lack. I also don't want all these rider aids - for me they seem to create a disconnect between me and the riding experience.

Yes, I'm old school, a dinosaur, grew up into it all without all that. If younger folks don't get that, no problem, I wouldn't mean to stop them having electric bikes and gadgets if that's what they want. But not for me. I'm not convinced we're replacing what we'll lose with something as...engaging? Probably I'm just not getting this over very well.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:32 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chicken strip wrote:
Speed alone isn't (visceral)

Yeah, 'tis.

Mine's an '03 R1 so no "rider aids."
I agree on the attractions of ICEs but that just means electric bikes are different. I can see a dynamic appeal in both.

Ribenapigeon wrote:
What about the simple march of technology? Future electric bikes might...

Yeah, they might..., but like I said, battery research has been going on for 200 years with massive interest, yet major developments have been few and far between. I think it's a dead end.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:37 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
chicken strip wrote:
Speed alone isn't (visceral)

Yeah, 'tis.

Mine's an '03 R1 so no "rider aids."
I agree on the attractions of ICEs but that just means electric bikes are different. I can see a dynamic appeal in both.

So you don't get what I'm saying, and I don't get what you're saying Laughing

Btw, "chickenstrip", all one word, it's very important!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 00:46 - 10 Dec 2019; edited 1 time in total

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:45 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
So you don't get what I'm saying, and I don't get what you're saying Laughing

Try explaining what you mean by "dynamic appeal" where electric bikes are concerned?

Btw, replacing "it" with "visceral" in my phrase actually also takes me out of context, and changes my meaning. Very subtle, nice try Laughing

You said, "What's so visceral about an electric bike? Speed alone isn't it,"
I disagreed. Bikes accelerate quickly, and they lean. That's appealing. My point is, whether you find electric bikes appealing to ride or not, they're still a novelty as lilredmachine said, and not the answer to "climate change" people would have you believe.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, messing about too much with edits tonight Rolling Eyes

I don't believe anyone Laughing

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Try explaining what you mean by "dynamic appeal" where electric bikes are concerned?

This is my point. The 'dynamic appeal' of one bike, when they are electric will very much be the 'dynamic appeal' of another electric bike.

Because they are electric. They will all sound the same, deliver power the same, have the same characteristics... There will be no differentiation, just more or less of it. Like going into a restaurant and being given a menu where there is only one dish, but it comes in a thousand different sizes.

Litre bikes develop and make power very differently from 600 bikes, different cylinder configurations make differences, the way the motor is cammed, crank degree, firing order, the size of the valves, porting can make two motors of the same size very different, even sound utterly different in the same cylinder configuration.

It has been pointed out that a 600 inline 4 was more exciting to ride for whatever reason than a litre inline 4, this is due to the high revving, top end rush of a 600 and also the snarling airbox sound etc. Despite being the same cylinder configuration, just a different size, litres tend or tended to be in the early 2000s at least, very linear in comparison regards power delivery.

Like an electric motor.

As the same chap noted, Impressively fast. But boring.

Like an electric motor.

This is the future.

I can't wait.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
they're still a novelty as lilredmachine said, and not the answer to "climate change" people would have you believe.

Oh no, they are the future. Almost certainly, regardless of whether it is required or not electric is going to get stuffed down our throats.

I didn't mean a novelty like a quaint thing, I meant like a new novelty, like having a new toy that becomes boring and repetitive after the first day.

At the moment the number of people who have been driving or riding electric vehicles is low, and the number of them they will have had is also low. Once they've had 3 of them and they've all been exactly the same to drive, just with different looking bodies and infotainment they'll get why it was a terrible idea.

Like going a buying a zero now. Go and buy one in 5 years and it will be very, very similar to ride, it will probably just go 50 miles further on a charge.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:15 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

You said, "What's so visceral about an electric bike? Speed alone isn't it,"
I disagreed. Bikes accelerate quickly, and they lean. That's appealing.

It's still only part of the package as far as I'm concerned. As lilred points out, we'll lose a lot.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:19 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't ridden a proper electric motorcycle yet but I know ebikes and while the torque at launch is quite something the throttle just goes from zero to 11 and that is all: no gears, no clutch, no art, no skill - much like a scooter with a CVT.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:02 - 10 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

What about the simple march of technology. Future electric bikes might simply make current combustion engine machines look like steam traction engines compared to a jet turbine engine.

Wash your mouth out heathen. Laughing

As people are saying, there is more to things than just the final product.

Steam traction engines are art in mechanical form.

I spent my whole working life on steamships and they are alive. They have soul, they have moods, they have idiosyncrasies. They are women in mechanical form.

Then you have the ICE. A successor to steam and in a bike or a fast car, still something with that little bit of feeling. You hear the sound of a V8 car on song or a triple winding up. It sends shivers up you. Well it should, if it doesn't, go buy that electric milk float, you will still be happy.

Does all that sound like I'm having a nostalgia attack? Probably, but there isn't much left in this sanitised world to spunk over so lets not wish them gone just yet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 132 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10