Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Changing your biking habits cos of climate change

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah never did calculus!
Mind you, I still don't get why we should be worried. Definitely not trolling here - I've seen those ramped graphs but so what? Gets hotter faster (oops. Should have said changes faster..) but mankind will adapt. Always has done, still will. Cities can be moved, crops can be grown in more suitable places and so on. I honestly just don't get the worry.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 20:29 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:
Nah never did calculus!
Mind you, I still don't get why we should be worried. Definitely not trolling here - I've seen those ramped graphs but so what? Gets hotter faster (oops. Should have said changes faster..) but mankind will adapt. Always has done, still will. Cities can be moved, crops can be grown in more suitable places and so on. I honestly just don't get the worry.

Mankind can't adapt that quickly. Does it not bother you that a change in temperature will result in an enormous wide scale extinction event? I assume you move cities all the time? I assume the wars and refugees created by lack of clean water are OK with you?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

World population's got to be culled somehow, I've probably got maybe 20 years left in me, odds are good I'll be gone before the zombies hit.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Sister Sledge wrote:
Nah never did calculus!

Mankind can't adapt that quickly. Does it not bother you that a change in temperature will result in an enormous wide scale extinction event? I assume you move cities all the time? I assume the wars and refugees created by lack of clean water are OK with you?

It's okay to have wars and refugees in third world countries at the moment, so I don't see why we can't have them over here. Laughing Rolling Eyes

And don't sweat it, the rise in temperature will both destroy farming and kill off vast swathes of the population. Both of which will cause global cooling and sort out the problem.

The Earth will always balance itself out.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:59 - 13 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Let me know when the real culprits do something about it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Exactly that.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:47 - 14 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Like the UK, who started the Industrial Revolution.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:57 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Always the white man's fault Rolling Eyes

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:01 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

i blame the guy who invented fire

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
i blame the guy who invented fire

Ah but it depends if he burnt the tree stood next to him or felled a tree in another continent, used heaps of energy to shred it, used even more energy to squash the shreddings into small pellets, wasted energy carrying the pellets 100s of miles to his waiting boat, used energy to load the boat, burned lord knows how many trees to get his boat full of pellets to his home continent, wasted energy loading his own carts with pellets, burnt more energy hauling the pellets in his own country and finally arrived at the spot where that initial tree was perhaps burnt.
That's biomass - green fuel for UK electricity generation for you. (we must have no trees in the UK eh?)

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

What a fcuking stupid pointless statement. So what. If we hadn't some else would have.

We also invented antibiotics. Pity that, if we hadn't we might not have 7 billion or whatever humans who are the real problem.

Oh, lets castigate the Yanks for inventing powered flight while we are at it. Rolling Eyes

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:05 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if all humans say in the UK are forced by laws to use low energy devices, renewable electricity (when it's able to meet demand which will always be intermittent) and adopt cleaner transport solutions, less private vehicle ownership and clean healthy transport solutions like walking and cycling it might help. But we'd have to eat synthetic meat and foods, and agree not to take flights or travel for work conferences when we can sit in virtual meetings etc.

If we did all this and much more too, like less consumerism, less on-line shopping and had less children and healthier bodies and lifestyles, (maybe forced to wear air filter masks in cities etc), well we'd all moan like fuck, but life would still be worth having a piece of and we'd probably be British and knuckle down and do what the man says.

Remember in 20years most alive humans will be millennials who will and have embraced doing everything remotely, synthetically and using smart tech or VR etc. They will sign up for the program and embrace environmental conservation and we'll be swept along with them or just swept aside.

It's a bit daft us talking environmental climate stuff on a bike forum for two reasons:

1, firstly I don't think we've collectively got enough information or knowledge on the subjects, or even a broad enough depth of interest or discussion.

2,which leads on to the fact we are motorbike freaks who are in a generalisation way far more into things with two wheels than the next semi balanced logical member of the public is.

What I don't get is the moaning from the olds that are leisure riders but want to keep on buying new bikes as they come out. I don't want the 2024 Fireblade and don't care if I'm banned by law from buying one.

If you want to do your own thing and fuck around burning petrol for laughs without needing your fuel to earn a living, then buy a classic or up-coming classic bike/car. 15years old is all it needs to be probably to be regarded as a classic, so that's a vast amount of machinery in all configurations available. I don't think they'll be able to do anything to ban historic vehicle use, except ban you from cities or riding in rush hour etc.

Really shit arguments I know, but I don't need a choice of new ICE vehicles in 5years and I don't care if they are around or allowed for sale either. If I'm encouraged financially into an EV or into leasing/shared vehicle use then happy days as its not going to be a massive problem for me or lots of situation similar people I reckon.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:11 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

You're on a hiding to nothing with that one. Good luck.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 23:36 - 15 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume by "the real culprits" you're referring to India, China and the USA. Countries which due to their population size and/or energy consumption per capita have the highest CO2 emissions.

They are doing something. India is going big on solar. This has upset the coal lobby in India, but even they can't stand in the way of it as solar keeps getting cheaper. Useful both as huge solar farms to feed the grid, and in poor, rural areas where a solar panel+car battery setup means a poor family can now charge a mobile phone and run a 12v TV. Also happening in some African countries.
China is investing a lot into R&D, including all kinds of nuclear options. China also has the advantage (in this case) of a strong state and central control. If they decide to stop burning coal in 5 years time, they can do it.
USA is tricky. Despite the current government, there has still been significant rollout of renewables - and this is pure economics, it's cheaper electricity.

The UK is good at ideas. We didn't start the industrial revolution from having every idea first - arguably it should have started in France 50 years earlier. We recognised the good ideas, took risks, and kept on improving the designs.
It can be the same for climate change solutions. Any solution will require innovative and slightly eccentric thinking. Once the widget exists, every country in the world will want to buy it - whether it is carbon capture and storage, synthetic fuels, new batteries, clean burning of waste, better solar panels or windmills.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:00 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I supposed to care about all that? You know, at a personal level? Laughing

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I don't think we've collectively got enough information or knowledge on the subjects, or even a broad enough depth of interest or discussion

Are motorcyclists less educated than the average person?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:52 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
stevo as b4 wrote:
I don't think we've collectively got enough information or knowledge on the subjects, or even a broad enough depth of interest or discussion

Are motorcyclists less educated than the average person?

I only know the people on here and the hangouts like the Ace Café and Box Hill. From what I've seen bikers are much more intelligent than the average person. Bikes = disposable income, smarter people have better jobs therefore more money to "waste on toys" Smile

Careful though, add in scooters and average IQ will drop below average Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really considered that way round of spinning it, with regards to bike owners having the best jobs to afford mere toys though?

I was more thinking along the lines of a majority of bikers being very narrow interested types without a broader general knowledge or opinion?

As an aside, what sort of year would we say that bike owners became rich enough to own a car for commuting? Or alternatively when did cars get cheap enough to make the switch in the most part in the UK?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:33 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I've never really considered that way round of spinning it, with regards to bike owners having the best jobs to afford mere toys though?

I was more thinking along the lines of a majority of bikers being very narrow interested types without a broader general knowledge or opinion?

As an aside, what sort of year would we say that bike owners became rich enough to own a car for commuting? Or alternatively when did cars get cheap enough to make the switch in the most part in the UK?

I don't think commuters who use bikes are the same as bikers who use bikes to commute. We don't have many scooter riders on here because to them the scooter is just a tool as is a sh1t box car or the train. Bikers who commute either have a second toy or they commute on a bike that can do both.

I would say the comment that bikers are in the 'more intelligent' or 'better job' groups is a fair point. Of the regular posters on here the majority work, and work in pretty good jobs. The few that don't are either retired or not physically abled.

So yes, bikes are toys. toys cost money, bikers earn decent money, bikers are from the higher levels of intelligence to get the jobs to buy toys.

As an aside, when did bikers throw off the 'black leather troublemaker' and rejoin society as a constructive member and not a destructive influence. (From the no Irish, no Blacks, no crash helmet era)

A bit generalistic but not an unfair assumption in my view.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:17 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

As an aside, when did bikers throw off the 'black leather troublemaker' and rejoin society as a constructive member and not a destructive influence. (From the no Irish, no Blacks, no crash helmet era)

When they had more money to splurge. It's amazing what people can forgive when you've cash to splash.

I think bikers come from all backgrounds and all intelligence levels. The only generalisation I'd make is those who can afford it, but even that's thin.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Has that really happened? I didn't get the memo. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPt-s5w9W3Q
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:53 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
Climate ` change` and biking habits? I'll be honest I can't take most things our political elite foist on us seriously.
Apparently 90+ % of Ocean pollution is created by non western countries. 85 million people are added to the third world every YEAR and still they breed incontinently like the human parasites they are.
Yet we are told to use paper straws, use less transport, have less children, abort babies , accept massive amounts of uneducated migrants and other degrading things.

What is REALLY going on? Fuck the climate change agenda and the cunts that push it. If people want to hypocritically play along with their big puppeteering game then feel free.

I've never heard a politician saying we should have less babies, nor to abort babies. What has ocean pollution got to do with Climate change?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overpopulation is the REAL problem, but it can't be addressed because the wrong people have jumped all over it and made it a dirty word (as the above example illustrates). Isn't there an Arab saying: "myself against my brother, myself and my brother against my family, my family against my tribe, my tribe against my village, my village against my province, my province against my nation, my nation against the world"? Well, at least it makes it easy to differentiate the good guys from the dirty parasites, if you have trouble with that sort of thing. But I don't see it working with the overpopulation problem at all.

It's like eugenics. Eugenics Lite could solve a lot of medical problems, reduce suffering and improve society. But the wrong people latched onto it in the early 20th century, and now it can never be mentioned again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgyumGSF9-4

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:15 - 16 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I accept that Western nations led the Industrial Revolution and accrued economic rewards by pumping pollution into the globe for a century, those Western nations didn't understand the widespread harm they were causing. India and China clearly do, but they're pursuing the same rewards. It's still hard to blame them for that. You could say we brimmed the cup and they're adding a little bit more to overflow it. Who is most to blame?

It's too late anyway. We need to accept change (man-made or otherwise) and deal with it. The ecology will suffer but adapt, which is sad but inevitable.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 104 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10