Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Doing a stupid - Buell 1125CR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:33 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Doing a stupid - Buell 1125CR Reply with quote

Having once had a Buell XB12R, I have visited a chap callled Maz in Manchester who is the last registered Buell tech in the country. Whilst I was there having the proper 10k service done on my XB12R ~ a grand and 2 days work ~ I spent most of it staring at something I hadn't seen before. It was an 1125CR. He fired it up and blew my ear drums out, then gave a me a giant list of reasons not to own one.

So naturally, after 7 years of edging, i have decided to ignore that advice.

https://i.postimg.cc/4xWKXns9/IMG-20190817-125006281-HDR.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/sgh8rGpn/66510159-10157459450363485-6345893589490335744-n.jpg

Bottom picture is when I first picked it up, I have since removed the gash mirrors and fitted a tail tidy in the top one.

For those that are not familiar with Mr. Buells last foray into Harley funded bikes, these had an engine called a Halicon, which was a Rotax built, huge bore, short stroke ~ 103mm/67.5mm ~ Vtwin full of all sorts of exotic materials and whizzbangery. It doesn't sound like an old school Vtwin and it makes peak power at 10,000 RPM, unlike an old school Vtwin.

This one had 17k miles when I bought it, and it was very well kept, which means it's a good one. I have done about 1,200 miles on it with no issues which is almost unheard of. Part of that is I have fitted a race ECU programmed by Mr. Buell himself to match the Jardine can and KnN filter, which also makes the bike run considerably cooler and happier. It also has the happy addition of lumping about 15 extra ponies into it which it didn't really need. Laughing You need to be in 4th at over a ton before this thing won't just hit you in the chin with the bars at over 8k rpm.

It's short, light and incredibly angry and I'm happy to be enjoying riding it until the inevitable service and this happens:

https://i.postimg.cc/3JBV10gV/poK76qW.jpg

Yes, you have to do this to check the valve clearances. The manual also tells you to remove the engine to change the spark plugs. It is just doable with the engine in place, but it's a cunt. Laughing

So look forward to that workshop thread. Wink

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 21:48 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Doing a stupid - Buell 1125CR Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
7 years of edging

Shocked

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:
after 7 years of edging,

I had to look it up.

Edging is the term used for a very specific technique,... If you're ridin' solo, it requires you to bring yourself to the point of orgasm and then, just, stop.

The bike is nice enough, but I wouldn't go that far.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:56 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Doing a stupid - Buell 1125CR Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

Comes with its own built-in shopping bags. Cool.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was a widely recognized term? Laughing You're a brave man to enter that in a search engine. Wink

Bike looks like a crab and an insect crashed into a spaceship. Sort of a love it or hate it thing.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Doing a stupid - Buell 1125CR Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
lilredmachine wrote:

Comes with its own built-in shopping bags. Cool.

Unfortunately already full of ECU and radiators. Think of it like buying a BMW with panniers except they're all in the front and filled with bits of the bike they didn't have room for.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

Bike looks like a crab and an insect crashed into a spaceship. Sort of a love it or hate it thing.

"Sort of" didn't really spring to mind Laughing

Nah, lose the, er, 'growths' and it'd look half decent.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hedging," maybe, although it does appear to be wearing a bra so....

I do like it though.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:06 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
lilredmachine wrote:

"Sort of" didn't really spring to mind Laughing

Nah, lose the, er, 'growths' and it'd look half decent.

They did a better job with the later 1190SX, looks less, er, slabby. The pods are nowhere near as bad in the flesh, they aren't flat looking like in the photos.

https://i.postimg.cc/4yHr4XnG/maxresdefault.jpg

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:21 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l0MYLraSJ4qyxTqJq/giphy.gif

I sold my 3rd XB12R in the summer because I never rode it, and parts were starting to get expensive. I miss it, but logically I can't justify it.

Oddly my VFR has a hint of what I miss about the Buell. It's something about a V engine I reckon. If I could buy a fully faired 1000cc V4 sports tourer that doesn't weigh too much I'd probably buy it but Honda insist on keeping the 800cc capacity and the ludicrous weight - I have the VFR for my 100 mile a day commute.

A 1125R was on my list for a while - 150bhp V twin, that weighs not a lot, with the potential for great handling - a no brainer. Except the stators destroy themselves and the front suspension is underdeveloped. It's a Ducati 1098 but uglier. But my commute has now changed my bike requirements and how often I ride etc.

As it is, I'm probably going with something like a GSXS1000F next year because of the ULEZ. But that slot in my garage should really be for a Buell, and that'll make me sad.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

https://media2.giphy.com/media/l0MYLraSJ4qyxTqJq/giphy.gif

A 1125R was on my list for a while - 150bhp V twin, that weighs not a lot, with the potential for great handling - a no brainer. Except the stators destroy themselves and the front suspension is underdeveloped. It's a Ducati 1098 but uglier. But my commute has now changed my bike requirements and how often I ride etc.

The stator can be fixed. not cheap but it can. The rotor gets drilled to allow oil to reach the stator and control it's temperature. I'm sure a machine shop in this country could accomplish the same feat.

https://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/models/1125r/2009-2010-charging-system-rotor-modification.html

Find it interesting that Erik charges 445 bucks to fix a design that he ballsed up himself. Laughing

As for the front end, I find it pretty decent. It doesn't give me much cause for concern and it's very surefooted for a 54 inch wheelbase. It's not too much of a concern because it's rarely on the deck. Laughing

You do get good ones, most of them left around now are reliable, the problem child 1125s have long since been abandoned.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:58 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

The stator can be fixed. not cheap but it can. The rotor gets drilled to allow oil to reach the stator and control it's temperature. I'm sure a machine shop in this country could accomplish the same feat.

https://www.erikbuellracing.net/store/models/1125r/2009-2010-charging-system-rotor-modification.html

Find it interesting that Erik charges 445 bucks to fix a design that he ballsed up himself. Laughing

As for the front end, I find it pretty decent. It doesn't give me much cause for concern and it's very surefooted for a 54 inch wheelbase. It's not too much of a concern because it's rarely on the deck. Laughing

You do get good ones, most of them left around now are reliable, the problem child 1125s have long since been abandoned.

Yeah, Buells have a great community behind them that keeps things ticking over, but I feel like it shouldn't need to be that way. Harley royally screwed up, abut perversely that's kind of why I like the bikes. Harley chickened out of investing in the bikes, they chickened out of competing with the Japanese, and most of all they chickened out of racing. If Erik had have had everything he wanted there'd be a full fairing, there would probably be no air cooled bikes.

Although the turbocharged 150bhp XB project was definitely interesting... Diablo I think they were going to call it.

https://www.froggypwns.com/buellpdfs/Cycle%20World%20-%20May2010%20-%20Demise%20of%20Buell%20and%20Barracuda%202.pdf

But these days I just want a modern bike to give me that same feeling. Nothing at the moment really does. Triumph are doing okay with their 765 Street Triples, but it's not the same. Probably the closest bike, the bike that just hits that same nerve with me is the Aprilia Tuono V4, but again I need something sports tourery with some range, so it's got to be an actual sport tourer. Sadly.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:32 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
"Hedging," maybe

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/stop-having-sex-my-hedge-sheffield-mans-desperate-plea-drunken-louts-434234

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 25 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word:

turbo?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 00:07 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo edging or turbo hedging?

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harley have a lot to answer for, and I hope their present struggles with sales and staying relevent either gives them a good fucking kicking or obliterates them from the face of the planet. The Buell story is a classic one of left field concepts and clever engineering being hobbled by bean counting and overbearing Mothership decisions aimed at not alienating their customer base of chaps wearing tassle fanciers. Now they are desperately scrabbling to reconnect with the real world.

I share that feeling of almost-pity for these and pretty much all Buells. I've always wanted one of these because it is such a raw and visceral machine. Journalists didn't like it when it came out, at the time they were happy to put their arms round it's shoulder, give it a run, then go and recommend that you should buy some heavy 1050 design that Triumph have been shitting out for years, or a hugely out dated Aprilia Tuono twin. In the real world, point to point, the 1125 will chew up and spit out things a couple of times more expensive.

https://i.postimg.cc/q74S6zkB/1-A8-E989-F-2756-46-DC-B838-EFFA0-F9-FE91-A.jpg%20%20

That Dyno graph don't lie, a TWIN motorcycles slip on, ECU remap and KnN filter and that thing's putting out 144 RWHP and 90 ft/lbs of torque. This dyno graph is of Joe's stock motored 1125 straight line bike which runs 9.1 in the quarter mile, that's the same time you'd expect out of a tweaked, stretched, slammed 2005 GSXR 1000 drag bike.

The 1098 you referenced is similarly sad. It don't even compare to a well fettled 1125.

https://i.postimg.cc/W31qY67D/1098g1.gif

Look at the 7k RPM mark, the Buell is making 30HP more than the 1098. Fucking 30hp. Laughing

https://i.postimg.cc/W3z6qPCf/1098g23.gif

Torque is similarly weak, It's over 12lb/ft weaker than the Buell at peak

That's a 1098 on a Full titanium Termignoni system and remap, opening the motor and fiddling with the cam timing got it to 142 rwhp, and 82lb/ft but if you were to do that to the Buell...

The 1125 Helicon motor is an absolute animal. And the 1190 only pushed it further. 175rwhp is roughly what you can expect from one of them, and that's about in line with a tuned 'Busa or a Panigale, but the Helicon will have a butt load more torque everywhere...

https://i.postimg.cc/xjMh0wD3/CCI30012016-2.jpg

Or, if you can compare it to a Tuono V4, more of a fair comparison in terms of naked to naked:

https://i.postimg.cc/zBHq00QX/2017-Tuono-Factory-dyno-comparison.jpg

Oooooh dear.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
One word:

turbo?

Take this picture of one of the 3 CR500s I've been working on recently and go and sit on the corner.

https://i.postimg.cc/Qt7HH8hb/IMG-20190928-164934626-HDR.jpg

Edit: misspelt 'On'

Embarassed

But seriously, I know you're a 2 stroke slag and I have genuinely been looking after a raft of CR5s.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK you got me, I have to admit that's a satisfactory sickness or illness to have to be excused from blower installing.

I do have to ask though, where is the snail hiding on the Honda though? Laughing

P. S. I can hear the brapping (think that's what they call it still?) from here in my head, but you're an evil man if you think you can post that sort of pic up without sending the sweet aroma of fresh pre-mixed goodness out through my screen. Thumbs Down

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'll ever moan about how time consuming removing the fairings, lifting the tank and unbolting some gizmo I forget is just to do the plugs on my CBF1000, nor the rear wheel to do the caliper, after looking at those pictures.

Hats off to the dedication.

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:40 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need no snail.

Has a Panthera electric start kit, ported and plished, CRF front and rear ends....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haqv8bdjcRU

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:01 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

lilredmachine wrote:

Oooooh dear.

I agree with you! I'm one person you don't need to convince.

Actually a Ducati 1198 might be closer to the 1125R in terms of engine performance. In terms of money? Not a chance.

And comparing it to a Tuono V4 is not exactly comparing like with like when the Tuono is 'detuned' as a naked... but it is a more advanced four cylinder bike.

But yeah. EBR don't meet European type approval rules now, so no chance of getting a newer 1190 which is now a properly developed bike. Hero motor corp then went and did a Harley and screwed over Erik once again. He's not great at choosing business partners!

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
lilredmachine wrote:

Oooooh dear.

But yeah. EBR don't meet European type approval rules now, so no chance of getting a newer 1190 which is now a properly developed bike. Hero motor corp then went and did a Harley and screwed over Erik once again. He's not great at choosing business partners!

He certainly isn't. Laughing man has terrible luck with that.

Would love an 1190. Thing looks tremendous. Be nice to have one of the few in the country, or import one.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:03 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the bloke who bought my beautiful black and translucent orange Firebolt

... wrote it off a week later. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/buell-10.jpg
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/tag1.jpg
https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/img_4010_small.jpg

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

N00b observation: that front brake rotor looks interesting, tell me more Smile

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:05 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
N00b observation: that front brake rotor looks interesting, tell me more Smile

Rotor, you yank!

It's what buell call ZTL - Zero Torsional Load. What it means in reality is that the brake disc is mounted to the rim rather than the wheel spokes, which makes it possible to lighten the main spokes, reducing overall unsprung weight.

A good condition ZTL system will allow you to do beautifully modulated stoppies with two fingers on the brake. The only bike I've ridden with brakes anywhere near as good is my Street Triple R. I've recently got to the point where I can do on demand rolling stoppies on that bike - *proud*.

The air cooled XB, with dry sump, air cooled, short wheelbase is a proper stunt machine. I believe Team Xtreem used them exclusively for a few years and I have a DVD somewhere where they do loads of nutty things on nearly standard XBs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IibTEHuEIzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkH98gAKPvA
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 146 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2