Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MT09 - wet arse

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:28 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: MT09 - wet arse Reply with quote

hi all

been riding my MT09 around with underseat tail tidy and just got to winter...... (I ride year round and have been used to sports bikes with long tails till now)... anyone have a smart way to stop the spray from the rear tyre splattering your back and rucksack with rain/dirt and then it dripping down onto the seat making your arse wet, I guess I could put the horrendous rear tyre tail tidy hugger thing back on for winter but it looks like crap

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:50 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I've never bothered with a tail tidy. As much as they improve the look, the crap that a hugger and standard rear end keep off in the winter is quite remarkable. And, at the moment it's just muddy grime without any of the salty shite in it! Much easier to rinse off than the salted grit crud.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:45 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that most 80/90s bikes have a long ass which became trimmed up over time until a lot of bikes have a seat and a half.

Was this form over function was did it just go with the more boxy design of then?

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a cost thing?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:31 - 26 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just temporarily stick a bit of plastic sheet sticking out the back for the winter.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the standard tail back on - it was there for a reason. It's dark in winter and no one will see.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes put the original mudguard back on !
Tail tidy s are fro summer posers only !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:00 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: MT09 - wet arse Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
arse wet

https://www.boots.com/staydry/staydry-free-sample

Bloggsy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:08 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't bother putting the standard tail hugger back on, cos you will still get crap thrown up your back.my 09 has a rack and top box and that stops crap being thrown up my back, but not everyone wants a rack and top box.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:53 - 27 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste I can imagine op wearing those and as they ride along the bike gets further away from them.

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:06 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Bloggsy wrote:
Don't bother putting the standard tail hugger back on, cos you will still get crap thrown up your back.my 09 has a rack and top box and that stops crap being thrown up my back, but not everyone wants a rack and top box.

considering sticking a rack on just to stop the crap coming up Laughing atleast I could use it to strap a sports bag on I guess

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 13:09 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhiteBaron wrote:
I notice that most 80/90s bikes have a long ass which became trimmed up over time until a lot of bikes have a seat and a half.

Was this form over function was did it just go with the more boxy design of then?

FIM/ACU regulations require(d) rear mudguard/bodywork to extend at least as far as the back of the rear wheel. Designers had to work within that silhuette.

Modern C&U regs for road-bikes have similar requirement, which is why in the show-room, short body bikes tend to have some sort of ant-eater proboscis coming out their arse with the rear reflector on it!

So it's a regulatory 'thing'; for the most part, rather than an aesthetic one; but one that does have use, in keeping road-spray off your butt!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tony_d123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:25 - 04 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Ductail? Just stick to the bottom of the number plate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/pyrmaid-08101-Universal-Ductail-Tour/dp/B0082UVRAM

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:37 - 20 Dec 2019    Post subject: re Reply with quote

tony_d123 wrote:

never though of this very interesting!

do you guys know if there is a way to angle the number plate at like 45degree so it kind of makes a mini mud guard?

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:37 - 20 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

bigdom86 wrote:
tony_d123 wrote:

never though of this very interesting!

do you guys know if there is a way to angle the number plate at like 45degree so it kind of makes a mini mud guard?

Pyramid do a whole load of these https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/pages/search-results-page?q=ductail

Ignore the bike make/models they are just plastic stick ons. They work fine I have one on my Ninja 400. The "carbon fibre" finish is getting a bit crappy after 18 months or so but they are cheap enough for me to just stick a new one on.

Some of those are angled as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bigdom86
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 02:20 - 21 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: re Reply with quote

Pyramid do a whole load of these https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/pages/search-results-page?q=ductail

Ignore the bike make/models they are just plastic stick ons. They work fine I have one on my Ninja 400. The "carbon fibre" finish is getting a bit crappy after 18 months or so but they are cheap enough for me to just stick a new one on.

Some of those are angled as well.[/quote]

Cheers for that, this type of angled one looks quite good, do they simply stick to the underside of the number plate you dont need any special mounts? I just have my number plate stuck to a R&G tail tidy you think this would work:

https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/products/yamaha-xt-1200-z-super-tenere-ductail-matte-black-2010

wilbur
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:08 - 21 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep they just stick on with an adhesive pad.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 09:37 - 21 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at the age where practicalities and function are much higher priorites than aesthetics. As such I ride bikes with things that used to be known as mudguards. The RT even has an extendable rear one Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 118 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1