Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"E10 ate my hamster" - Ethanol in the real world

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:36 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: "E10 ate my hamster" - Ethanol in the real world Reply with quote

So following on from the interesting discussion on supermarket fuels I'm curious as to how much damage people have actually experienced with their bikes - and in particular older ones - and what you do about it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:41 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel line rotted off my 350 bullet. It was old but unused and dry-strored fuel line I'd had for ages and had fitted about a week previously. It went all limp and splitty. Hadn't switched the tap off. Bike was sitting in a pool of fuel. Happily it did not burn down my house but it could have.

Needle vales corroded on KLE500 and stuck open, flooded fuel up through the emulsion tube and back into the airbox. The bike did ACTUALLY catch fire while I was riding it but self-extinguished. Evidenced by an escher-esque melty airbox.

Both of these were with E5, not E10.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:55 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

E10 is not currently legal in the UK I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:07 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

1957 BSA C12 250 Single.

Plastic hadn't been invented yet so no problemos running ethanol adulterated fuel.

Other machines are all ethanol resistant.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
E10 is not currently legal in the UK I think.

Next year apparently (although likely to get pushed back.) Obviously I'm looking forward to what might make my old DT catch fire. New fuel line and carb at the ready Smile

I was intending to leave it running the oil pump rather than using pre-mix but I'm wondering if pre-mix would be better if E10 is forced on us?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:02 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
1957 BSA C12 250 Single.

Plastic hadn't been invented yet so no problemos running ethanol adulterated fuel.

Other machines are all ethanol resistant.

Fuel tap won't like it. They use special taps when running pre '65 trials bikes on dope.

Now sure how well the monkey metal they made original amal monobloks out of would hold up too, especially the float, they aren't all made of brass.

Fuel line would definitely need to be swapped out.

You would be totally screwed if you had a rickman fibreglass fuel tank on it.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:00 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Fuel tap won't like it. They use special taps when running pre '65 trials bikes on dope.

UK spec Montesa Cota's had an aluminium petrol tank to comply with UK C&U regs that actually demanded a 'metal' petrol tank right up until about 2004 and EU harmonisation, that beggered a lot of EE 'imports' like the Cagiva Paris Dkar rep.

ROW Cota's got GRP tanks, with a molded in site-glass fuel guage curtacy of a clear neoprene breather pipe running up a groovw in the side of the tank. Hi tech or wot?

The biggest market for ROW Montesa's was curiousely Brazil... that ran on 100% Alchohol, curtacy of the '73 Oped Oil crisis, and conic balance of payments problem.

Curiousely the 'problem' of Alcohol fuels swelling GRP resin fuel tanks first popped up in California, when they started to switch.

I don recall too many issues with OH fuels as far as the old Amals, they ran, on either the Cota T-Shok or old Pre 65's, it was mainly the often after-market GRP or plastic fuel tanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had fuelling problems, but I can't, in all honesty, identify ethanol as the culprit and separate this from the effect of a lack of maintenance (e.g. confidently riding around on a bike with a 10 year old fuel line is a no-no) on some of my past bikes which were perhaps an inevitable part of my personal learning curve.

Fuel taps replaced with generic, manual ones (which I now know to test first, because sometimes they leak even when new). I do this always, now. I'm not a believer in old vacuum-operated automatic fuel taps. They were fine 20/30 years ago perhaps, but they're a liability now, so I don't even bother wasting time with them. I just stick on a new manual one. I've had auto fuel taps burble fuel back through the suction (vacuum) hose, and my inkling is, it's ethanol. I've also experienced that fuel tap repair kits don't necessarily work.

Fuel line replaced regularly (annual). I currently have about 30cm left of a length I bought from a busy car spares shop a couple of years ago.

Hardened, old fuel line has caused me 2 issues in the past:
1) Black rubber bits in carb bowls.
2) Broke my petcock when trying to remove it (the line took the press-fit brass nipple with it).

Those aren't the only issues I've had with fuel lines, but I'm too embarrassed to share my other anecdote...

I know to regularly monitor and maintain carburettors. In the past, I've found lots of powdery black rubber appearing in my carb bowls (that was a 2003 bike). The fuel lines on that weren't up to the job but they were old. No issues on my 36 year old Kawasaki, but that doesn't mean much because it was a nonrunner project bike I reconditioned only a few months ago. I remember buying and fitting new float needles because the old ones would stick, and new bowl gaskets, and lots of new black o-rings (the originals had completely disintegrated between the carbs, and so had the ones under the float needles). It also has a lot of new things in general, unrelated to fuelling, on the bike. Since I got it back on the road after however many years it's been off, there have been no fuelling-related issues at all. Issue with shocks - replaced with new. Issues with exhaust - repaired, then replaced etc. Things like that. I fill up at the same petrol station every time. The premium/super option is now marked "E5". I take it for a ride (and a thrash) at least once a week. 7 months means nothing really, but my problems with past old bikes are inconclusive and hard to pin down to ethanol alone.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 05:11 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done 5x sets of Mikuni BST36SS from Bandit 1200 Mk1's all of which had fuelling problems this year. These are all 96-99 bikes, well maintained but not ridden daily with 20k-40k mileages.

The problems seem to arise after a period of time unused.

I'm getting quite expert at this now & beginning to see the signs inside the carbs where it's telling you what's the problem. None of them have shown major signs of wear, the float valves have all been OK, the needles & emulsion tubes have all been within wear limits, the diaphragms working well and the plastic slides & guides have all been in good condition.

The 1 major thing in common has been the 'O' rings in the float bowls, these literrally crumble when handled. The brass under the fuel line has been corroded/badly tarnished and I always thought it took a lot of abuse to corrode brass.

I've not seen much debris in the bowls & so far no snotty like substance that I've seen so many pictures of. The float bowl gaskets have all been OK.

It seems to me that it's the 'wet' 'O' rings that suffer most & that tells me it's the fuel. I'm not convinced that it's just down to the ethanol. I'm convinced that they're putting something else in alongside the ethanol that eats NBR & brass & I'm convinced they've only been doing this for the past few months.

Spring 2020 is going to be VERY interesting when you all bring your bikes out of hibernation.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:03 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Spring 2020 is going to be VERY interesting when you all bring your bikes out of hibernation.

Wassat then?

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing yet but I do replace fuel lines and clamping clips each year through fear of one degrading - it has twin fuel taps and one fuel line tucks in behind the engine and then to a 'T' connector. I really don't trust it.
No issues with running except when it comes out of hibernation it does run a little cr*ppy for a few miles - that will be slight build up of crud in a jet. It soon sorts itself once half a gallon of fuel has gone through.
Must admit to beginning to worry about the float inside the carb..

It'll be interesting to see what the alternatives of fuel will be. When vehicles switched to unleaded you could buy additives and whatnot. I wonder if such help for older engines will be out there?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:50 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
JackButler wrote:

Wassat then?

Mine will work just fine. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

I was intending to leave it running the oil pump rather than using pre-mix but I'm wondering if pre-mix would be better if E10 is forced on us?

Running premix certainly stops degradation in the carb itself, rubber fuel lines still seem to suffer though.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned this to my local bike mechanic this morning (why I was there is a story for another thread) the whole Ethanol thing...

Yes - fuel lines, yes - carb parts... but also tank linings; even ones that are meant to be "Ethanol resistant" and he showed me a photo of the inside of a tank he'd done recently. The lining was coming off in chunks and then clogging the carb.

Of course I said "who runs an old bike with no in-line fuel filter?!" and one of the mechanics gingerly held his hand up Smile

Seriously considering dropping the oil mixer pump now though!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

Of course I said "who runs an old bike with no in-line fuel filter?!" and one of the mechanics gingerly held his hand up Smile

I don't run an inline fuel filter on any of my bikes. They are restrictive and more shit to get in the way, plus another leak path. If you're getting crap through the fuel tap, clean your tank out.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:08 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

It seems to me that it's the 'wet' 'O' rings that suffer most & that tells me it's the fuel. I'm not convinced that it's just down to the ethanol. I'm convinced that they're putting something else in alongside the ethanol that eats NBR & brass & I'm convinced they've only been doing this for the past few months.

Needle valves are another one. The alloy can corrode making them stick (this is just water aided corrosion due to the presence of the ethanol) and older ones may have butyl rather than viton inserts (which can fall to bits or swell). Easy upgrade though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:10 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sister Sledge wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what the alternatives of fuel will be. When vehicles switched to unleaded you could buy additives and whatnot. I wonder if such help for older engines will be out there?

They are already out there. I'm putting Frosts "ethomix" in every tankful on my '91 vfr750.

I believe silkolene FST is also suitable?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:13 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forced wrote:
I don't run an inline fuel filter on any of my bikes. They are restrictive and more shit to get in the way, plus another leak path. If you're getting crap through the fuel tap, clean your tank out.
I agree and don't agree with this. Right answer for wrong reasons, kind of thing.

I DO run an inline filter on the Cota. Tank tends to be clean, its ali, and only holds approx a gallon; but it drinks pre-mix only, and has to be filled in a field on events, so good odds of getting leaves, twigs cow chit, feathers, small children or whatever in there.

A filter funnel would probably be OK, b-u-t, they hold about 1/4 a pint, the fuel takes longer to come out than go in, and they have a tendency to tip when filled 'cos top heavy. so cause more spills than they save!

An in-line filter then saves a lot of polava... B-U-T, in thirty odd years the only one that I have found that actually works, is a genuine, I think, glass AMAL item.

The more usual plastic things you get from Halfrauds or off e-bay are a right PITA and when I find one on a road bike, it goes straight in the bin, and I order a POR15 kit and clean the tank!

They 'should' flow enough fuel is they are the right size and not clogged; but they are designed to clog. If they have clogged you know they have done their job; dang site easier to replace a filter than clean a carb!

Of the ones chucked away, the small e-bay jobs often don't flow enough juice, especially for a bigger engine, at 'peak' load, and the bike bogs and stutters at full throttle. The larger car-type filters sized for a 200bhp V8 shouldn't suffer this... but they do.. problem isn't that they don't flow enough fuel, its that they 'air-lock', they flow 'out', then there's a lag before they flow 'in', you get more 'gulps' than 'flow'.

Easy-X wrote:

If you DON'T use the oil-pump, and the old Yammies are prone to this, then the oil pump doesn't get lubricated by the oil its supposed to pump, so it seizes!

Its driven by a nylon gear off the crank, and when the pump seizes this strips... but cos you are running pre-mix, you dont notice until you pull the covers off.... so it normally only shows up when the tacho-stops working, and not all old Yammies have these. Definitely a problem on the old TY's, which are essentially the same engine though. I 'think' that if you intend to run 100% pre-mix that the advice id to remove the oil-pump and its drive to save this... but you get no tacho... which isn't there any-way on the TY's and YZ's, but still...

On which note, your bike ISN'T a 'DT'. The DT designation came in with the DT250 and 400 to denote the 'D' series engine, around 1977. The DT250/400 was also the first Yemmie production bike to get the 'MX' derived cantilever mono-shock rear suspension; hence the DT badging was associated with the much vaunted 'Mono Shock', rather than the engine it denoted, and carried over to the whole range of Yamaha dirt bikes by the Marketing men...

I believe that the T-Shock 125 dirt bike actually had the 'CT' series engine, and consequent engine numbering, whilst all the early T-Shocks were badged either 'Enduro' or sometimes 'Trail' usually on the high-level exhaust pipe heat-shield, as were the very first batches of mono-shock 175 dirt bikes. Just for interest! Every-one still calls them a 'Dee-Tea'.... it's just they never were, like there was never a MK1 Escort... it was just an Ford Escort!!!

Personally I'd not be 'too' bothered about E5 or E10 fuel on an old bike like this. If you encounter problems, its much more likely to be because the tank, engine, carb or fuel lines are old and effed anyway, in which case you have much bigger fish to fry.... and if you don't encounter any problems? Whats the problem?

Do the over haul thoroughly, POR15 the tank, use new fuel and oil lines, and replace periodically, job-jobbed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get blanking kits for a fiver to drop the oil pump on my "DT" AFAIK the tacho has its own nylon gear but I shall look again while I have the crankcase covers off Thumbs Up

With regards to what it is all the service manuals, marketing brochures, etc. refer to it as a 1976 DT175C and the serial number starts "1G1" which, AFAIK, says it's the European version of... whatever you want to call it Wink rather than a US import.

Anyway, we're getting distracted. There's pros and cons to premix vs autolube but in the context of this thread the question is: does premixing help with regards to the Ethanol "problem" ?

<edit> spelling

Last edited by Easy-X on 16:36 - 29 Nov 2019; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 216 days between these two posts...

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 00:08 - 03 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, hope everyone is doing ok.

Sorry for being behind the curve regarding E10 fuel introduction (I've had my hands full with stuff that has taken me away from motorcycles the past few months) but I've just been reading this thread with interest.

I've just started hearing the government adverts on the radio regarding the official introduction of E10 fuel in September.

I tried checking my current bikes compatibility with E10 via the UK government vehicle checker but it was blank and didn't appear to work so I used the Dutch one instead (link below).

My 2001 CBR Honda equipped with PGM Fi fuel injection appears to be compatible with E10, but not so my carbed 1998 Hornet (which has had a ground up rebuild and will hopefully be running by September)

Naturally I'm worried about the metal corrosion, rubber destruction issues mentioned above so I'm going to follow Stinkwheels advice and start adding the Frost's Ethomix Ethanol Corrosion Inhibitor Additive to the Hornet's fuel (and the CBR to mitigate some of the corrosion/rubber issues etc mentioned above).

Dutch E10 checker:

https://www.e10check.nl/

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 03 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run it on ‘super’ unleaded then, which will stay at or under 5%.

My KTM is apparently compatible but the internet is full of stories of swollen tanks that won’t go back on after removal.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:47 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super unleaded now contains 5% ethanol as stated by weasley.

i`ve tested all my spare rubber fuel pipes some " DIN 73379 type B, NBR" also writing on the pipe "suitable for unleaded fuel" and found all of them going soft and slimy. Also as mentioned what will 10% damage?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 295 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2