BCF: Bike Chat Forums

"E10 ate my hamster" - Ethanol in the real world

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:53 - 04 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion regarding super unleaded.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Super unleaded now contains 5% ethanol as stated by weasley.

https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

Annoyingly, I live in N.Wales....

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If push comes to shove, you can remove the ethanol by adding water to the fuel and agitating. Let it stand for 12 hours and pour off the water and ethanol mix. Food colour can be added to the water to make the distinction more obvious if required.

Ethanol is hydrophillic, petrol isn't. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:03 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
If push comes to shove, you can remove the ethanol by adding water to the fuel and agitating. Let it stand for 12 hours and pour off the water and ethanol mix. Food colour can be added to the water to make the distinction more obvious if required.

Opening soon: Islander's Ethanol-Free Petrol Station

Also opening soon: Islander's Authentic Scottish Moonshine Outlet

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Islander wrote:

Opening soon: Islander's Ethanol-Free Petrol Station

Also opening soon: Islander's Authentic Scottish Moonshine Outlet

Shhh! Laughing

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:18 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:

Yeah - this is an interesting approach - I saw a guy on youtube who has a classic car collection show this method. Very Happy

The Frost's fuel additive also has some good reviews - guys with classic vehicles were saying it was really excellent in stopping the ethanol destroying the metal/rubber parts of classic vehicles fuel systems.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or take your O2 sensors out and run Avgas. Just don't get caught.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

It's quite amazing how red diesel evaporates from my boat and condenses in my car. Isn't physics wonderful. Laughing

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 12 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

It's quite amazing how red diesel evaporates from my boat and condenses in my car. Isn't physics wonderful. Laughing

Just hope you never get dipped...

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:57 - 13 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every biker I know is into the older 70's/80's/90's bikes & some have more than several.

Concensus seems to be that the official E10 checklist is a tad misleading in assuring you your bike is OK. Yes it may run but it gives no indication of the level of damage being caused in the short or long term.

I'm hearing a lot of grumbling that anything with copper/brass floats is fucked, ethanol is eating the solder.

I have it from a 90's era factory race engine builder that the big 4 were told sometime in 2000 to expect ethanol in fuel within 10yrs time !!!

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:46 - 13 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Concensus seems to be that the official E10 checklist is a tad misleading in assuring you your bike is OK. Yes it may run but it gives no indication of the level of damage being caused in the short or long term.

Yeah, I think I'll be using super unleaded E5 up to the point they decide to ban that as well.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:48 - 13 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droog wrote:

Yeah, I think I'll be using super unleaded E5 up to the point they decide to ban that as well.

I'm keeping a close eye on Esso's Synergy Supreme which is still ethanol free in most of the country.

When that goes I reckon the only realistic thing to do is to refine out the ethanol using the food dyed water method. Something I really want to avoid, 10's of litres of petrol trickling through small bore pipes in my mancave.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE FUTURE IS ELECTRIC AND THAT`S WHAT THE GOVERNMENT WANT.
£100.80p road tax for bigger engine bikes.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:48 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember if you de-ethanol E10, the remaining 90% of the fuel will have a lower octane rating.

If it started as 97 and was actual 10% ethanol, removing the ethanol will leave you with 95 octane fuel. If it started as 95 octane, you'll finish at 93. This could be an issue in a highly tuned engine.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:09 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swapping your fuel tap over to a manual fuel tap may solve a myriad evils. It's what I always do with every one of my bikes, anyway. Ever since my 600 Diversion started sucking petrol through the vacuum hose, and then the fuel tap repair kit I bought didn't work (I probably didn't install it gingerly enough, but whatever).

A manual fuel tap is a good thing. I know most of you guys are highly experienced so don't treat this as lecturing you but rather a description of what I do, related in the second person for convenience:
When you bring your bike back home, switch the tap to "off" when you're half a mile or so away from home. When you get home, let the bike run for a couple of minutes with the manual fuel tap switched to "off". Put the bike in its resting place in the garage. Now your carb/FI fuel system is protected from ethanol damage.
[The next bit is something I haven't done yet]
Open your tank cap and add half a cup of water that's had a few drops of food colouring (not green/yellow) added. When you return to the bike the next day, don't wheel it out of the garage or move it from its resting place. Simply disconnect the main fuel hose, and place an empty water bottle below your fuel tap. Switch the fuel tap to "on", and let the coloured water run out. Throw this away or store it to later put in the back of a 1932 Ford hotrod to ship around the county - it's up to you. When the fluid you're allowing to escape isn't coloured, collect it in a cup. If it's cloudy, you sit and wait a few hours. If it isn't, your fuel is now ethanol-free. Switch off the fuel tap, put a quarter bottle of octane-booster in your tank, and reattach your fuel line. All ethanol-related problems, solved.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
your fuel is now ethanol-free. Switch off the fuel tap, put a quarter bottle of octane-booster in your tank, and reattach your fuel line. All ethanol-related problems, solved.

Wouldn't all that be easier to do with a jerry can BEFORE it goes into the bike?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Wouldn't all that be easier to do with a jerry can BEFORE it goes into the bike?

Yes, using a jerry can is a good idea, as long as you can rig a tap to the bottom. A brewer's tap, a household tap, a motorcycle fuel tap, or anything at all as long as it's got a good seal. A large jerry can.

If you've got an old bike and the local petrol station only has E10, then my method or yours could work. Let's say it's 2025 and all fuel is E15. Your bike is running out of fuel so you ride it to the station and brim it. You ride home and your fuel system has just been exposed to a LOT of ethanol. It will degrade parts but you've limited the exposure. As long as you've got the manual fuel tap you can run your carb bowls to empty just in the driveway. Meanwhile, overnight you can separate that ethanol from your fuel while it's still in your tank.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Just remember if you de-ethanol E10, the remaining 90% of the fuel will have a lower octane rating.

If it started as 97 and was actual 10% ethanol, removing the ethanol will leave you with 95 octane fuel. If it started as 95 octane, you'll finish at 93. This could be an issue in a highly tuned engine.

Yep, it's worth adding an octane booster. Thumbs Up

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:03 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Swapping your fuel tap over to a manual fuel tap may solve a myriad evils. It's what I always do with every one of my bikes, anyway. Ever since my 600 Diversion started sucking petrol through the vacuum hose, and then the fuel tap repair kit I bought didn't work (I probably didn't install it gingerly enough, but whatever).

A manual fuel tap is a good thing. I know most of you guys are highly experienced so don't treat this as lecturing you but rather a description of what I do, related in the second person for convenience:
When you bring your bike back home, switch the tap to "off" when you're half a mile or so away from home. When you get home, let the bike run for a couple of minutes with the manual fuel tap switched to "off". Put the bike in its resting place in the garage. Now your carb/FI fuel system is protected from ethanol damage.
[The next bit is something I haven't done yet]
Open your tank cap and add half a cup of water that's had a few drops of food colouring (not green/yellow) added. When you return to the bike the next day, don't wheel it out of the garage or move it from its resting place. Simply disconnect the main fuel hose, and place an empty water bottle below your fuel tap. Switch the fuel tap to "on", and let the coloured water run out. Throw this away or store it to later put in the back of a 1932 Ford hotrod to ship around the county - it's up to you. When the fluid you're allowing to escape isn't coloured, collect it in a cup. If it's cloudy, you sit and wait a few hours. If it isn't, your fuel is now ethanol-free. Switch off the fuel tap, put a quarter bottle of octane-booster in your tank, and reattach your fuel line. All ethanol-related problems, solved.

You'd need to agitate the tank otherwise you won't capture all of the ethanol in the fuel. Then you'd have to leave it to settle out for half a day or so. Far easier to do this before the fuel is in the tank.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wonder whether doing a solvent extraction like that might remove some of the other additives in the fuel.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:23 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I also wonder whether doing a solvent extraction like that might remove some of the other additives in the fuel.

For a vintage or just an older engine would it really matter? I'd be interested to hear your opinion being a petrochemical whizz. Thumbs Up

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:19 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get empirical data about ethanol blended fuel is actually pretty tricky. This is where the Internet (Google Search) fails as the hysteria articles drown out everything else Sad Let's have a look at three main "problems" everyone's panicking about...

Metal Corrosion

Ethanol doesn't do anything to metal! Yay, let's pack up and go home Wink However Ethanol contaminated with water is something else entirely:

Study of Corrosion of Metallic Materials in Ethanol–Gasoline Blends: Application of Electrochemical Methods

The names of scientific papers always seem to be the exact opposite of poetry Smile Anyhoo, they're basically testing the material loss of steel, aluminium, brass and copper with E40/60/E85/E100 with or without water contamination (and various other things like resistivity which we're not interested in.)

For our purposes the results seem to be that "fresh fuel" (uncontaminated with water) is nothing to worry about, certainly of E5/10/15 that we're likely to see in Europe, bearing in mind that even Ethanol-free petrol could be corrosive if it has high sulphur contamination. E60 to E85 with water seems to be particularly harsh for all the metals tested but strangely E100 (pure Ethanol) is perfect fine with steel and brass.

Plastics and Rubbers

There's a reason why you find Diamond White in plastic bottles and everybody else uses glass or metal Wink I'm sure I've gone over this before but just for completeness:

Obviously there's the whole Ducati fuel tank fiasco but outside that I think we can all guess that using an organic solvent (Ethanol) on a long-chain organic polymer (plastic) is going to do something Very Happy But from what I've read Polyethylene & Polypropylene stuff should be just fine and everything else (including old-skool rubber) will stiffen and lose integrity given enough time.

Unlike the previous test on metals the presence of water is neither here nor there and the degradation of non-Ethanol safe plastics will be an ongoing problem whether you use your bike or not Shocked

Performance

Ethanol is a perfectly good fuel that's slightly less energy dense than petrol but has the benefit of burning a bit cooler. Performance is not even worth worrying about for E5/E10. Maybe one could argue E15 warrants a tweak to an EFI fuel map for maximum performance but that's about it.

Conclusions

I would conclude that any bike would benefit from draining the fuel system over winter... if you're one of these namby-pamby fair weather bikers Wink Ironically a classic bike might employ more steel and brass than the current vogue for aluminium and therefore survive better! However a classic bike would also likely employ plastics unaware of Ethanol fuel.

tl;dr modern bike used regularly will be fine, classic bike use sparingly, any bike laid up for several months or more drain the fuel system.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:46 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
tl;dr modern bike used regularly will be fine, classic bike use sparingly, any bike laid up for several months or more drain the fuel system.

That was pretty much what I took away after doing some reading. Might be some edge cases, buy largely nobody is going to even notice, especially if they never changed the labels on the pumps. Just going to drain the tank and empty carbs if im leaving the bike for longer than 2 months now.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 14 Jul 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'd be upset like anyone else if my plastic tank started swelling up it seems a bit unreasonable to expect an engine to run flawlessly (assuming the proscribed maintenance is done) from now till the end of time. "But this Ethanol is wearing out my bits!" Shocked True but the swing arm will probably rust and collapse before that's an issue Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 287 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2