Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Body Protection

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Blongcake This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surveys tend not to be particularly well received here (that might be understating it?) and if you provided a bit of background info about who you are and what this survey is for, you might just get a more favourable response... Shocked

EDIT: actually, just having had a quick look, the whole survey is fundamentally flawed because I guarantee you that pretty much every biker who sees it will already be using body protection in the form of armour built in to their jacket. Some respondents will assume that's what you mean, but others will think you mean other kit like airbag vests. So unless you fix that, your results will be utterly meaningless...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:54 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the end of term 1 at College and Uni again isn't it?

OP, I'll level with you. We get these every year between September and January. It's a lazy way to solicit responses from motorcyclists and there are members of this forum who actively sabotage the results. I wouldn't be so petty, but I recommend you try to gain your credit in some other way to be honest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blongcake This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Blongcake This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:13 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blongcake wrote:

Unfortunately this isn't a University project. I work for a company that makes body protection for the Equestrian industry and I just wanted a view simplistic overview of the use and perception of body protection in the motorcycle industry

I don't think that's going to make any difference. The equestrian industry is very different from the motorcycle industry. If you want to break into the market do some legitimate research. My advice still stands, don't be lazy and don't spam the forum with your surveys.

I think according to the rules of the forum you're supposed to get permission from the admin to do any commercial activity, and seeing as I've not actually heard hide nor hair of the admin for a few years, you might be a tad out of luck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:28 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you wanting answers from people who're in the motorcycle industry or from motorcyclists?

Which company do you work for?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:37 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughter has an Equine body protector she has to wear in competitions. She said it's crap. So did her horse when I last spoke to it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:49 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooooo! Body for orm, bodyform for yooooooooooooou.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:51 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Which company do you work for?

Brandon 'cheap spam' Longcake works for FOMO Protection.

https://www.fomoprotection.com/

Brandon
Product Design Engineer
A first class honours graduate in Sports Engineering, Brandon has experience working on projects for injury prevention and rehabilitation. He has been involved from the outset and has an in-depth knowledge of the products required to help the company succeed.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:54 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, amateurs use surveymonkey.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory the airbag type started in equestrian and migrated to bikes - IIRC Hit-Air were early providers.

As a rider of both, I can see the parallels from one to the other - bikes tend not to kick you and run off after a fall though.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:52 - 28 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fall from a horse is many times different to a fall from a bike.
Bikers fall off into other vehicles.
Horsers fall off into trees and shit.

I don't think body armour for horse riding would be very efficacious unless for road work. Hats and proper boots possibly spine and cervical protection would be about the limit.

It has to be in relatively well fitted garments or built into a suspension system to keep the protection where it will be needed and not roll or be squeezed out.

Bike armour mainly absorbs energy by deformation against hard surfaces/objects. Horsers fall off into mud and shit so deforming armour would be redundant.
And I don't monkey with surveys sorry.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

And fomo have won a revolutionary award! Was it one of the Fidels?

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 02:36 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
bikes tend not to kick you and run off after a fall though.

I would tend to disagree slightly there....

All my falls in trials, of which there are M-A-N-Y.. I seem to have come off and had the bike land on top of me! I have usually slithered to the bottom of a hill, petrol peeing out the breather into my face, yelling "I'M OH-KAY...... Did I save the bike, alright?"

Actually in my first, and one of the few, road off(s)... I was SMIDSY'd by a twit in a Triumph Spitfire..... I did a fantastic 'Superman' stunt over his bonnet; slid up the road, bounced up the kerb and was stopped by a cast iron litter bin, on the pavement..... Lying grazed and bleeding, I seem to recall wondering where my bike was...... Then it ran over me! ..... It took the long way round the Trumpet bonnet!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Undinist
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 06:32 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body protection includes armour, airbag, and fabrics which protect from abrasion, inc. kevlar, leather, cordura and others. I'm not going to fill in such a vague survey.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:40 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
All my falls in trials, of which there are M-A-N-Y.. I seem to have come off and had the bike land on top of me!

One of the most feared falls in equestrianism is the so-called "rotational fall". This happens when jumping a solid object, for example a tree trunk or similar - something that won't budge if you hit it. If the horse and/or rider misjudge it the horse may hit the object with its chest or upper front legs. Momentum causes the horse to keep going but the back end goes over the top, in a forward roll kind of way. The rider can be landed upon by this mass and seriously injured or killed (my parents witnessed such a fatal fall a few years ago).

Airbag protectors have been cited as saving some riders in such falls. There was also an exo-skeleton type protector which was sold to protect against crush injuries, although it was heavy and unwieldy.

I'm guessing that half a ton of muscle and organs will make a bigger dent than a 100kg of trials bike.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:44 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
And I don't monkey with surveys sorry.

Bah, in that case you're doing it all wrong.

I'm looking forward to seeing what body protection for motorcyclists FOMO Protection come up with based on the results of their survey. Laughing

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:07 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
I'm guessing that half a ton of muscle and organs will make a bigger dent than a 100kg of trials bike.

What about quarter of a ton of metal doing 60+? If I got between something hard and my VFR in an off, I suspect it would be a touch worse than an off involving a naggy Dutch Warmblood.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:37 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
What about quarter of a ton of metal doing 60+? If I got between something hard and my VFR in an off, I suspect it would be a touch worse than an off involving a naggy Dutch Warmblood.

When I was about 11, I got taken to Wales to a riding school. I grumbled on the first ride that the pony they gave me, a docile old mare, just followed the queue and I didn't actually 'ride' it so much as just sit there! So The girl that ran the lessons sorted me out another horse for the next lesson... after 10 minutes or so, a Honda CX500 came along.... (there shows you my enthusiasm for 'orses,. don't it! I DONT remember Dobbin's names.. B-U-T I do remember it was most definitely a Honda CX500 that came past!.. almost 40 years ago!.. Anyway...) I steered Dobbin intro the hedge, and kept his head pointed away from the road, and petted his kneck a lot, then, shortly after the Plastic Maggot had bludgered off, the stable girl came galloping over.. shaking! Apparently the horse she had given me was a 'bit nervous'.

When we got back to the stables, I was taken over to the 'Paddock' by the owner of the school, who explained that the stable girl shouldn't have put me on 'that' Dobbin.. and pointed at the gateway, where a rather banana shaped Volvo estate was, well, it wasn't parked.... but had been dragged, by tractor, with the remnants of horse box still on the back, where 'my' dobbin had had a buckaroo game with it when they brought him 'home' and apparently that same CX500 had gone past the yard gateway!!!!!

The 'thing' is, that if you get chucked off a VFR or whatever into the path of a Scania,..... yup it gonna hurt.... B-U-T the scania tends NOT to come back and have a second, third or twelfth go at you!

It may be ,messy, B-U-T.... horses are unpredictable creatures, and IME its a shame that they seem to be the ones more often a) in control and b) with the brains! But still.. they can do a HECK of a lot of damage, as I'm sure the Swedish 'Safety' mobile would testify... I DO sometimes wonder though... I BET that after the horse attack it's dang headlamps stayed 'on'!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:18 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, my mam bred horses for as long as I can remember, I've been round the bloody things all my life. I promise you I'm very familiar with the damage they can dish out, no matter if scared, pissed off or just in the mood to fuck shit up. I'd rather deal with any of the above then indukge in a spot of tarmac surfing.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:58 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

most bikers wear leather, which you have the think, leather comes from cow skin (I think)

I am wearing daisy the cow to work Twisted Evil

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:03 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

WreckTangle wrote:
most bikers wear leather, which you have the think, leather comes from cow skin (I think)

I am wearing daisy the cow to work Twisted Evil

Typically kangaroo cause it's stronger than cow, so you're actually wearing skippy.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:26 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most 'bikers' are actually wearing leathers made from pig skin & they're usually the very same ones pointing to the sandals & polyester mankini wearing rider whilst sneering down their nose "you fukkerz bring it down on all of us".

I can spot it a mile away because I know what to look for.

The best quality leatherwear for motorcyclists is indeed Kangaroo. That's what all the top flight riders & anyone worth their salt wears.

Sadly, we don't all want to pay minimum £1500 for our second skin, do we?

Cowhide is a good balance between the $cost of proper leathers & the after effects of sliding down tarmac for 500yds.

You could say it's probably good VFM. Unless that is, it happened to originate from Pakistan, a certain defined area of Pakistan that happens to account for most of the world's cowhide leather.

The most truth you will ever hear is :

"It doesn't matter what you're wearing, the 'OFF' that will kill you has no respect for the quality of your kit. That said, the very split second that you leave the saddle & your whole lifetime flashes in front of your eyes . . . . Is the very worst moment to wish that you'd bought better quality kit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3