Body Protection

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:55 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Most 'bikers' are actually wearing leathers made from pig skin & they're usually the very same ones pointing to the sandals & polyester mankini wearing rider whilst sneering down their nose "you fukkerz bring it down on all of us".

Hmm. I'd think on balance I'd choose the pigskin over a polyester mankini, no?
JackButler wrote:
It doesn't matter what you're wearing, the 'OFF' that will kill you has no respect for the quality of your kit.

Debatable; but how about the 'OFF' that you'll survive, but minus 75% of your skin and undergoing multiple agonizing skingrafts over many months of hospitalization - as opposed to getting up afterwards and walking away?

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:11 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

And how about the 'OFF' that you'll survive, but minus 75% of your skin and undergoing multiple agonizing skingrafts over many months of hospitalization - as opposed to getting up afterwards and walking away?

I've got a mate who rides a wheelchair these days & it breaks my heart when he says he wishes he'd died in his big off.

Every 'off' is different & we don't get to choose how good or bad it is.

The 'off' that will kill you has no respect for the quality of your kit. It really doesn't matter what you wearing when your head hits at +15g, or if your aorta is torn from your heart and it takes 45mins for the ambulance to arrive.

There's been some very televisual deaths of top flight riders on your tellyscreen in the past few years. Were they not wearing good enuff' kit???

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:45 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
And how about the 'OFF' that you'll survive, but minus 75% of your skin and undergoing multiple agonizing skingrafts over many months of hospitalization - as opposed to getting up afterwards and walking away?
The 'off' that will kill you has no respect for the quality of your kit.

Aaaand.... whoosh Rolling Eyes
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:14 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tampons and red blobs featured as well.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:56 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

All I saw were someone's knickers and some torque being applied. Rolling Eyes

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

AldridgePrior wrote:
I'm fucking lost Razz Something about kangaroos, monkeys and a survey. Laughing

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

MCN wrote:
All I saw were someone's knickers and some torque being applied.

Sounds like a cracking movie. Where can I go to see this? Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 05:16 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:

JackButler wrote:
It doesn't matter what you're wearing, the 'OFF' that will kill you has no respect for the quality of your kit.

Debatable; but how about the 'OFF' that you'll survive, but minus 75% of your skin and undergoing multiple agonizing skingrafts over many months of hospitalization - as opposed to getting up afterwards and walking away?

The best protection against that can only be to not fall off.

Try this . . . Get a bunch of seasoned bikers in a room, pull your sleeve up & brag about your scar. Within 20secs the whole lot will be undressing.

A mate had a log burner fitted just so's he could use the rod that held his thigh bone together as a poker.

Sister Sledge
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Nobby the Bastard wrote:

All I saw were someone's knickers and some torque being applied. Rolling Eyes

I read that as knickers and tongue being applied.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Freddyfruitbat wrote:

JackButler wrote:

The best protection against that can only be to not fall off.

Try this . . . Get a bunch of seasoned bikers in a room, pull your sleeve up & brag about your scar. Within 20secs the whole lot will be undressing.

A mate had a log burner fitted just so's he could use the rod that held his thigh bone together as a poker.

A mate of mine amputated his leg so he could use the femur as a bonnet prop for the boot of his trike.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
"It doesn't matter what you're wearing, the 'OFF' that will kill you has no respect for the quality of your kit.

So we should all wear t-shirt and sandals, just in case it's that off? Decent gear takes the worst off it. Taking a slide in my Akito leathers will be far less skin-grafty than in my old textiles, and my current A* textiles would be somewhere in between the two. Abrasion resistance means dick if you headbutt a tree. Impact protection means dick if you lowside it and slide a long way. Decent gear has both.
AldridgePrior This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only sidi and daytona made flip flops!

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:52 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
JackButler wrote:
"It doesn't matter what you're wearing, the 'OFF' that will kill you has no respect for the quality of your kit.

So we should all wear t-shirt and sandals, just in case it's that off? Decent gear takes the worst off it. Taking a slide in my Akito leathers will be far less skin-grafty than in my old textiles, and my current A* textiles would be somewhere in between the two. Abrasion resistance means dick if you headbutt a tree. Impact protection means dick if you lowside it and slide a long way. Decent gear has both.

What you wear should be a personal choice don't you think?

Was it MAG that was originally formed to fight the helmet law?

I fear the day when a civil servant draughts a law that tells me what I can & cannot wear when out riding. It's not like they have a good track record when it comes to motorcycle law is it???

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 06:58 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back in the 80's the guvmint was canvassing the horsey groups for their attitudes to making wearing a helmet compulsory while riding a horse.

All sorts of facts & statistics were being bandied around until someone pointed out that more car drivers drown in their vehicles every year than horse riders die from head injuries.

Is it OK to force car drivers to wear aqualungs?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:45 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack butthurt, you sound like every other idiot out there. You find a statistic that makes doing something safely sound ridiculous and then shout it from the rooftops. Wearing something that 'could' save you from brain injury is better than not wearing it. It doesn't mean it will (Ask Michael Schumacher's family). It's about lessening the risk, maybe your friend says that when he's with you because it's bravado (or just your company), but there's far more people who say the opposite.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:03 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wear the leathers, let skippys death not be in vain!! Mr. Green

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:03 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Jack butthurt, you sound like every other idiot out there. You find a statistic that makes doing something safely sound ridiculous and then shout it from the rooftops. Wearing something that 'could' save you from brain injury is better than not wearing it. It doesn't mean it will (Ask Michael Schumacher's family). It's about lessening the risk, maybe your friend says that when he's with you because it's bravado (or just your company), but there's far more people who say the opposite.

Have you ever heard the phrase "risk compensation"?

The most truth I have ever heard was an advanced driving instructor who had a theory that ripping out all the safety features in a car & pointing a 6" spike from the steering wheel straight at the drivers throat would suddenly make everyone a better driver.

They throw statistics around like they smarties & mostly they twist them, bend them or just plain make them up. Can you imagine that increasing the 'safety' factor can also contribute to a rise in injuries?

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:24 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: What? Reply with quote

This is exactly the sort of nonsense i was on about;
'The most truth I have ever heard was an advanced driving instructor who had a theory that ripping out all the safety features in a car & pointing a 6" spike from the steering wheel straight at the drivers throat would suddenly make everyone a better driver.'
No, it would not. It would just kill innocent people because, accidents happen. It's like the bellends who slam on the brakes for speed cameras and then crawl past the camera 10mph slower than the indicated speed because they're a good driver! More safety devices just make more complacency.
It's not about being risk averse, its about minimising it.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:44 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Wearing something that 'could' save you from brain injury is better than not wearing it.

So you wear one when in a car?

I believe that had I been wearing my lid when I was in a big car crash, the extent of the brain injury I suffered ("very severe brain injury") would have been lessened. But I wasn't wearing my lid, it was on the seat next to me or in the foot well or something along those lines.

Shit happens. People can decide for themselves what safety kit they want to wear when riding a motorcycle, riding a horse, driving a car, walking down a flight of stairs, cycling, rock climbing, etc etc etc.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
What you wear should be a personal choice don't you think?

Was it MAG that was originally formed to fight the helmet law?

I learned to ride on the road in the States. No helmet law in the state I learned to ride in. Still wore one. Why? Because the tiny amount of situations that are made worse by a lid are vastly outweighed by those where it lessens injury. Unlike you, I've actually looked into the research, read the whitepapers. I daresay there's even more evidence for lids being a good thing now, as I looked into it about 20 years ago.

If you want to go tarmac surfing in shorts and sandals, with no lid, have at it (I promise you it fucking hurts). But I fully expect your insurance, the other parties insurance, or yourself, (situation dependant), to pick up the tab for treating any injuries arising from that, given there's years of good, solid evidence that even basic gear minimises abrasion and impact injuries in almost all cases. While the overall consequences are not as bad as say, anti-vaxxing, it's the same cogntive dissonance is involved in denying that lids and leathers/textiles are a good thing.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:52 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Re: What? Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
This is exactly the sort of nonsense i was on about;
'The most truth I have ever heard was an advanced driving instructor who had a theory that ripping out all the safety features in a car & pointing a 6" spike from the steering wheel straight at the drivers throat would suddenly make everyone a better driver.'
No, it would not. It would just kill innocent people because, accidents happen. It's like the bellends who slam on the brakes for speed cameras and then crawl past the camera 10mph slower than the indicated speed because they're a good driver! More safety devices just make more complacency.
It's not about being risk averse, its about minimising it.

I won't bother to point out the oxymorons in your post.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 16:58 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

I learned to ride on the road in the States. No helmet law in the state I learned to ride in. Still wore one. Why? Because the tiny amount of situations that are made worse by a lid are vastly outweighed by those where it lessens injury. Unlike you, I've actually looked into the research, read the whitepapers. I daresay there's even more evidence for lids being a good thing now, as I looked into it about 20 years ago.

If you want to go tarmac surfing in shorts and sandals, with no lid, have at it (I promise you it fucking hurts). But I fully expect your insurance, the other parties insurance, or yourself, (situation dependant), to pick up the tab for treating any injuries arising from that, given there's years of good, solid evidence that even basic gear minimises abrasion and impact injuries in almost all cases. While the overall consequences are not as bad as say, anti-vaxxing, it's the same cogntive dissonance is involved in denying that lids and leathers/textiles are a good thing.

Can I ask the reason why the state you learned to ride in resisted the obviously necessary reason to wear a helmet?

The answer will be there somewhere. If your state legislature ever debated a helmet law then both sides of the argument will be on record.

Why did one side win the debate?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:25 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:
Why did one side win the debate?

I got my Endorsement (equivelent to Full A here) in California - And because 'Murica. Oregon, where I physically lived, not just passed my bike endorsement, has a 'lid law'. Bear in mind I also passed my full UK bike license in 1995, and again (Swansea holiday) last year, with all the bullshit involved these days.

Generally, Americans (especially conservative ones as tends to be the majority in rural areas), do very, very badly when it comes to Common sense vs Personal choice. It's not just lids, see the shitshow over the 2nd amendment, guns, mass shooting, school massacres etc. I'm all for responsible gun ownership, I grew up around them in both the states and here - but the implementation over there is fucking retarded, and it shows.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:58 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother has been stopped by the filth several times because he was wearing a crash helmet in his tuned van.

'I like driving fast but I'm not very good at it....'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 140 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3