Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Any point upgrading from one 125 to another?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:45 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Any point upgrading from one 125 to another? Reply with quote

As per title - is there likely to be a significant improvement in a new, 'premium' 125 over a CG125 with ~30k on the clock? Mulling a change but am not sure there's much point. Only used around inner London; ULEZ will ultimately force a change.

WreckTangle
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:50 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, just changing from one slow bike to another slow bike (like mine) . Get a bigger bike, then you can go faster, and maybe use it to go touring as well as annoy the neighbors Very Happy

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new 125s such as the RSV4 125, the wr125 and the R125 are expensive commuter bikes in drag. And elimination of little end bearings and introduction of injection so they can be screwed as lean as possible for emissions purposes makes them weak. If you had a modern 125 at 30k miles you would be looking for a new one because it had blown up, not just because.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 23:36 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more than one question in here, but the 'tell' is in the suggestion a swap should be an 'upgrade' implying a swap from something inferior, some-how to something 'superior' in some way.

As far as 'performance; is concerned, there is little between any make and model of 125cc motorcycle, in the greater scheme of things, they are all pretty slow motorcycles; the fastest of the fast 125's was/is, the limited production, special order 'varients' of the two stroke Cagiva Mito and Aprillia RS125, both built to homologate them for Italian domestic 'production' racing. They vied with each other for the advertising merit of being the 'fastest' 125's you could buy, but in accredited top speed tests neither could much better the 100mph mark. That does make them 'fast'-ish, if you compare to the majority of road-going 125's like a Yamaha YBR125, B-U-T its about as slow as a forty year olf Honda 250 four-stroke single.. and there's not MUCH in the buyers guides actually that slow.

B-U-T top speed is but one facet of the machine.

A fickle single minded two stroke is not usually particularly reliable, or have very long service intervals, and the necessity to add expensive two-stroke oil at a rate of around a litre per forty of petrol, can kind of make them a tad expansive per mile, before you tally in replacinng most of the moving parts of the engine, like piston, con-rod and crank, at recommended service intervals!

On that score something as 'boring; as a Kawasaki ER5 very quickly shows its economic 'superiority', even if its reputation is as being as dull as ditch-water to actually ride!

So what is an 'upgrade' what facet of superiority are you looking for? Higher performance of lower running costs, or lower service requirements, what?

For the engagement and riding dynamic, I still get a lot from ragging the crap out of a little 125, rather than going a lot faster, and probably as cheaply, on my 750, that will go pretty much as fast as I want it to, no real effort or skill required, just by twisting the right wrist a bit eagerly.

As sig and profile, I have a penchant for ancient old Honda 125 twins, b-u-t, I rather liked my little air-cooled two-stroke, have little but fond memories of the Kawasaki AR125 I bought new in 1990, and still have a desire for a round lamp, 7-speed Cagiva Mito.. B-U-T.... I would hardly consider that to be an 'upgrade' over my 750, as far as performance was concerned, or anything else.

For 'reliability' any bike old enough to have an MOT will have a level of fcukeredness that is almost entirely proportional to the level of idiocy and or incompetence of former owners, not really it's brochure specs.. so again what are you hoping to get more of out of this alleged 'upgrade'?

So the answer to the question really is NO, I have never swapped one 125cc bike for another, and where I have looked for something 'more' from my bike, it has generally come from changing and upgrading the engine displacement, not the model number on the side!

So like I said WHAT 'more' are you looking to get more of from a bike? Performance? Rider engagement? Cheapness? Serviceability? WHAT?
You don't tend to get all of them for no extra cost in one fell swoop, its the compromise only YOU, or your budget, can decide upon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:54 - 29 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Guff

Normally, Teff's replies are a lot of convoluted bollocks, however in this particular case, he is correct. If you want the hassle of a 2 stroke, then performance is quite within your grasp.

It's easy to look at the performance of a modern 4 stroke and think, 'fuck me, that's slow', then remember that a BSA C15 at 250cc could barely out accelerate a Madass 50cc. My old GS550 couldn't hold a candle to a Mito 125, they are very rapid bikes for a 125.

Man up, get yourself a 2T and join the ranks of bikers that should know better but don't.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:56 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't bother getting anything "new" until you're forced to, and even then "premium" just makes me think shiny and gone in an instant by t-leafs.

CG's an old age bike known by every mechanic worth his salt, parts available and easy/cheap to run. I wouldn't give that up.

Perhaps the emissions is a reason to move onto something bigger (up to 500) for slightly more fun but still retain the cheapness and fuel economy (not 125 standards); license permitting.

But if you're just looking to justify spending much dollar on a shitty 125 branded with fancy new plastics because new emissions rules then I'd just take a cold shower and move on from the money wasting idea.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:37 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's face it: outside of 2 smokes the 125 has been built as a bare-minimum stepping stone for learners for years. People lapping up sub 10bhp cheap 'n' Chinese bikes hasn't made anyone consider making "performance" 125s for a while. An EFI ULEZ friendly 125 just means the performance is even worse Sad

Fair enough a 125 is perfectly adequate right in the City but personally I prefer having an A2 bike just to try and outpace the scooters as well as the cars Smile If you're careful there are plenty of A2 bikes barely bigger or heavier than a 125.

TheInternet
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 08:03 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to reply. A test ride seems to be necessary to get the full picture.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:18 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you only looking at 125cc bikes?

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no real advantage in replacing your 125 now. You're probably asking this question because you're within the ULEZ grace period, which means you have until 24 October 2021. Just save your money. You can put it towards your full licence if you don't have one, or just keep it to benefit yourself some other way. You will be able to sell your bike if you keep it until 2021. There will be demand for it in the areas surrounding London - it won't drop in value like a stone. Most people who have to ride in London have already replaced their older bikes. Look around yourself in the inner city. Luxury cars costing hundreds of thousands of pounds, and hotels costing 10k per night. That's a place to hold onto your money and save as much as you can, not to keep up with the Joneses. Just my opinion.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:40 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Re: Any point upgrading from one 125 to another? Reply with quote

TheInternet wrote:
a CG125 with ~30k on the clock

A couple of thunks on that one; first is that on an 'old' CG; and the youngest gen UK import will by now be almost old enough to have it's own driving licence, is trigger's broom; to have got the clocks to 30K, how much else will have been broken or warn out and replaced by now. The recorded mileage probably means little even if its even remotely accurate or they are the original clocks!

I would go by the condition of the bike as a whole, not the numbers on the dash!

Next; apart from the daft ULEZ regs, effectively banning older vehicles, which I am fairly convinced is as much an economic experience, to drive sales of newer vehicles and keep the money-go-round rolling as much, if in any-way, as it can possibly to do with pollution and or congestion;-

the only notional advantage to swapping out an 'old' CG for something newer is serviceability and reliability.

A brand new straight off the shelf motorbike 'aught' to have it's full compliment of 'life' in it, hence be completely reliable and not need any major works as stuff wears out for a goodly while. That 'theory' goes to pot in the real-world where Lemmings, sorry Lemons persist, and you cant always rely on even a brand new vehicle having the presumed reliability you expect, especially if its a generic chink intended for markets that expect high maintenance, but even then, accidents and thefts happen, and who knows what can happen to a new bike one hour after it's left the dealers! Even five minutes if some U-tube vids are real!

An 'old' CG has two pretty 'great' advantages over most of its rivals; the first is that it is a 'Cult' bike, and folk still recount its 'Legendary' cock-roach nuclear hardness! (This can be as much of a curse and a charm, in that it also leads far to many to believe that 'low-maintenance' is translates as 'NO maintenance, but still!). Second hand values of old CG's have been held up to well beyond their deserts on this for the last twenty years. The ULEZ regs will undoubtedly dent this as, like your situation, when a lot of folk are convinced to trade them in for something newer, and presumed to be more 'environmentally friendly', and mystically take up less road-space! But still... 2nd hand values are strong.

Then there is the fact that the CG has been around since the mid 1970's, and based on what was 'stone-age' push-rod technology, even then, and with production intended for 3rd world countries, aka, Brazil at the time, they have a level of innate 'serviceability' built in to the antique design, that is augmented hugely by the fact that production has been seeded in so many other countries, notably China, where the design or variants of it have remained in serial production, and there is a wealth of service spares available, and cheaply, that means that not only are they eminently idiot serviceable, those same idiots can cheaply and easily get tier hands on any parts they may need for it.

If you pulled a derelict and rusty 30yr-old CG out of a canal tomorrow; you could likely'restore' that bike to 'as-new' condition, without major facilities, in your own garden shed, for LESS £ money than the price of a brand new generic chink.... let alone a 'premium' posey 125 in a dealers. A-N-D that bike, dragged out of dereliction and maintenance over-draft, should have a full compliment of 'life' put into it, and prove MORE every-day liveable with than almost ANYTHING you could buy.

In many ways, then a 30yr old CG, 'Could' be a real and actual 'upgrade' over an awful lot else on two wheels... just not for performance... a-n-d you would still have a niggle in that ULEZ uncomplient number plate..... Which is a small bug-bear you have to live with IF you want to live/work in London or as trends spread almost any major city.....

Bottom line IS that ULEZ regs were conceived to encourage folk away from ideas of personal transport, and or clogging up the city for work!

Within that, its finding the compromise that best works and that you can best stomach. Like I said, what is an 'upgrade' and its ALL in the compromise you are prepared to make, which is a LOT larger than just picking a motorbike!!! Do you really want/have to deal with the ULEZ zone and it's regulations? Start there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:03 - 30 Nov 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

You spelt cunt wrong. It's never been a cult bike. They were hateful things when I passed my test back in 91 and I doubt much has changed in the intervening years.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

They always got the job done, and are simple light basic things that appeal for those reasons. If I was going to dare I say it, build an old twin shock air cooled 125cc cafe racer, you would have a good/ish basis for one in a CG.

The newer 125's, well some of the best Japanese premium ones look like good and big bikes. And 15bhp is enough to get around town or learn how to ride a bike from scratch. But they are so overpriced IMO. The old 90's Italian bikes deserved to be expensive with the tech and materials and components used, but over £4k for a new Honda or Yamaha, I'm well and truly out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle

PostPosted: 20:33 - 01 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it's from a 125 commuter to something fun like a Grom or Monkey. No. Save and get a bigger bike.

Then again, back in the day, a CG125 with an "electric start" could be considered "premium".

Because.

It.

Just.

Wouldn't.

Die.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 05 Dec 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a 2 stroke 125 be learner legal these days? Not sure 100% about the rules, or even if the OP has a full licence...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 4 years, 135 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1